Keough School MGA 2021

Hello all, I got my financial details from my recent formal admissions letter, so here is a short summary of my recent application. 

1. What was the specialization you applied for? MGA+Specialization

2. Were you interviewed? If so, when? I was not contacted nor interviewed between my submission of my application on December 15th 2021 and the day I received notification of my acceptance on March 5th 2021

3.  Did you submit GRE scores? No, I did not submit GRE scores due to the fact that GRE scores were waived for the cycle.

4.. Are you a Peace Corps alumnus? (so many Peace Corps people seem to be accepted/get funding) No, I am not a Peace Corps alumnus.

5. Have you applied to the MGA before? If so, how many times? Yes, I applied last year and I was rejected.

6. Basic details about your application, i.e. GPA, GRE scores (if applicable), if you have another postgraduate degree, years of international experience, etc.: I am 33 years old. I have a bachelors of arts degree and another master’s degree both with a GPA of 3.6. I have about 9 years of international development and research experience. I speak 2 languages and have basic ability in another language. I have a great deal of methodological experience in applied research as well as some policy experience.

7. If you were accepted, what financial aid package was offered, if any? I received my financial aid/formal admission letter a week later, March 11th, after receiving an email noting that I was accepted on March 5th. I received a 30% tuition scholarship or about $20k of the approximately $60k for tuition per year.

----

I have also added a short summary in the GradCafe Results Database – please add your data to the database as well!

As of now, I am not sure if I am going to accept their offer. I would need a better financial aid package to pursue the program based on my current financial situation. Still thinking about the best path forward.

Good Luck! Here are my results, I will add it to the results section too. 

1. What was the specialization you applied for? Sustainable Development

2. Were you interviewed? If so, when? No Interview

3.  Did you submit GRE scores? I did not submit GRE Scores

4.. Are you a Peace Corps alumnus? (so many Peace Corps people seem to be accepted/get funding) Yes, I am an RPCV

5. Have you applied to the MGA before? If so, how many times? Nope, this was the first time

6. Basic details about your application, i.e. GPA, GRE scores (if applicable), if you have another postgraduate degree, years of international experience, etc.: 3.5 Undergrad GPA, Peace Corps service (was evacuated due to COVID), AmeriCorps service, lots of relevant international experience in undergrad. In total I have about 1.5 years of international experience. 

7. If you were accepted, what financial aid package was offered, if any? I was offered 50% tuition scholarship.

14 hours ago, Twesiime said:

Hello all, I got my financial details from my recent formal admissions letter, so here is a short summary of my recent application. 

2. Were you interviewed? If so, when? I was not contacted nor interviewed between my submission of my application on December 15th 2021 and the day I received notification of my acceptance on March 5th 2021

3.  Did you submit GRE scores? No, I did not submit GRE scores due to the fact that GRE scores were waived for the cycle.

4.. Are you a Peace Corps alumnus? (so many Peace Corps people seem to be accepted/get funding) No, I am not a Peace Corps alumnus.

5. Have you applied to the MGA before? If so, how many times? Yes, I applied last year and I was rejected.

6. Basic details about your application, i.e. GPA, GRE scores (if applicable), if you have another postgraduate degree, years of international experience, etc.: I am 33 years old. I have a bachelors of arts degree and another master’s degree both with a GPA of 3.6. I have about 9 years of international development and research experience. I speak 2 languages and have basic ability in another language. I have a great deal of methodological experience in applied research as well as some policy experience.

7. If you were accepted, what financial aid package was offered, if any? I received my financial aid/formal admission letter a week later, March 11th, after receiving an email noting that I was accepted on March 5th. I received a 30% tuition scholarship or about $20k of the approximately $60k for tuition per year.

----

I have also added a short summary in the GradCafe Results Database – please add your data to the database as well!

As of now, I am not sure if I am going to accept their offer. I would need a better financial aid package to pursue the program based on my current financial situation. Still thinking about the best path forward.

I thought Keough  offers a full  scholarship:(( to all 34 admitted ones. Does that  money worth this school ?  What a pity.  I guess  all IPS concentration recieves  full  scholarship  from  Krok  Institute. That is just  guess.  Well I am stressed again3. This is kinda  not fair.   

1 hour ago, Panda27 said:

Good Luck! Here are my results, I will add it to the results section too. 

1. What was the specialization you applied for? Sustainable Development

2. Were you interviewed? If so, when? No Interview

3.  Did you submit GRE scores? I did not submit GRE Scores

4.. Are you a Peace Corps alumnus? (so many Peace Corps people seem to be accepted/get funding) Yes, I am an RPCV

5. Have you applied to the MGA before? If so, how many times? Nope, this was the first time

6. Basic details about your application, i.e. GPA, GRE scores (if applicable), if you have another postgraduate degree, years of international experience, etc.: 3.5 Undergrad GPA, Peace Corps service (was evacuated due to COVID), AmeriCorps service, lots of relevant international experience in undergrad. In total I have about 1.5 years of international experience. 

7. If you were accepted, what financial aid package was offered, if any? I was offered 50% tuition scholarship.

Congrats! I am a fellow (e)RPCV too. I was offered the same tuition scholarship. Still trying to weigh my options and figure out if the debt is worth it...

Hey guys. I just received a rejection letter named "Invitation to Reapply" :') . I think I received it this time because I emailed them and explained that I need to inform other universities about my status till  mid March. Usually they send rejections by the end of March. I was applying for peace studies concentration.  This is what my email says : "Although we are unable to guarantee admission at any point in the future, we feel that your application will strengthen once you have gained a few more years of experience. Competitive applicants to our program typically have two years or more of professional experience in a global setting.".

Wish you all who are still waiting the best of luck ❤️ 

21 minutes ago, Salome Margvelashvili said:

Hey guys. I just received a rejection letter named "Invitation to Reapply" :') . I think I received it this time because I emailed them and explained that I need to inform other universities about my status till  mid March. Usually they send rejections by the end of March. I was applying for peace studies concentration.  This is what my email says : "Although we are unable to guarantee admission at any point in the future, we feel that your application will strengthen once you have gained a few more years of experience. Competitive applicants to our program typically have two years or more of professional experience in a global setting.".

Wish you all who are still waiting the best of luck ❤️ 

Good luck with other schools! How many years of experience do you have as of now ?

I am finishing my BA this year and I am only 21. But I have an experience of volunteering in IDP settlements in Georgia since I was 15 and I have worked in different think-tanks and been intern at governmental institutions in security department. I was an Erasmus scholar and have an experience of studying abroad as well and other little stuff too. In general I have up to 6 years of experience working and volunteering locally. but unfortunately I do not have an  professional working experience abroad for 2 years which is simply not possible at my age I think. Anyways, this is not the letter I was expecting and I am just very saaaaaad but this will pass :D 

34 minutes ago, sduvall said:

Congrats! I am a fellow (e)RPCV too. I was offered the same tuition scholarship. Still trying to weigh my options and figure out if the debt is worth it...

Wow...I see now full ride ones this year  in Sust Dev and MGA specializations. To be honest for that amount  I would go to Ivy league schools. All depends on  ur expectations.  

Just now, Salome Margvelashvili said:

I am finishing my BA this year and I am only 21. But I have an experience of volunteering in IDP settlements in Georgia since I was 15 and I have worked in different think-tanks and been intern at governmental institutions in security department. I was an Erasmus scholar and have an experience of studying abroad as well and other little stuff too. In general I have up to 6 years of experience working and volunteering locally. but unfortunately I do not have an  professional working experience abroad for 2 years which is simply not possible at my age I think. Anyways, this is not the letter I was expecting and I am just very saaaaaad but this will pass :D 

You are so young, you will have so many opportunities apart from this.  Yes international  professional experience is must have to this program, which you need to catch up soon  and reaplly. Be chto  be ubivaet  delaet  nas  silnee. 

47 minutes ago, sduvall said:

Thanks! You too. Yeah! I think the program attracts lots of RPCVs because the Peace Corps prepares people very well to be change makers-which is a big thing for this program. The money is definitely a huge factor; however, I have been amazed with the amount of communication with staff members and professors I have received already. It seems like an amazing community and very supportive with lots of awesome opportunities-particularly the i-lab. it is also a huge plus that South Bend has a low cost of living and a fully funded, summer international placement. I haven't made a final decision, but it is at the top of my list. Maybe we will see each other there! 

15 minutes ago, Milady_22 said:

Wow...I see now full ride ones this year  in Sust Dev and MGA specializations. To be honest for that amount  I would go to Ivy league schools. All depends on  ur expectations.  

I think it is important to remember grad school, like many things is what you make of it. Also, it is an investment in you. It really depends on how much you capitalize on the opportunities offered to you. For grad school, the strength of the program is what's important and Notre Dame has an incredible reputation. 

7 minutes ago, Panda27 said:

Thanks! You too. Yeah! I think the program attracts lots of RPCVs because the Peace Corps prepares people very well to be change makers-which is a big thing for this program. The money is definitely a huge factor; however, I have been amazed with the amount of communication with staff members and professors I have received already. It seems like an amazing community and very supportive with lots of awesome opportunities-particularly the i-lab. it is also a huge plus that South Bend has a low cost of living and a fully funded, summer international placement. I haven't made a final decision, but it is at the top of my list. Maybe we will see each other there! 

Yeah, I just sent a message on RPCV Jobs asking to speak with some students about their experience at Keough and already got quite a few responses. So if you are looking for any guidance there are plenty of connections! Congrats again!

On 3/12/2021 at 8:32 AM, Twesiime said:

----

if 30 % is tuition scholarship, did they provide any living stipend , housing, insurance? 

6 minutes ago, Milady_22 said:

if 30 % is tuition scholarship, did they provide any living stipend , housing, insurance? 

No, I only received 30% tuition funding. No money was given to me for living stipend, housing, insurance, etc.

1 minute ago, Twesiime said:

No, I only received 30% tuition funding. No money was given to me for living stipend, housing, insurance, etc.

It doesnt sound like a Keough. They are probably having fiancial struggles in the school due to Covid. I remember in 2018 , 80% got 100% funding, the rest got 80%.

IPS gets 100% every year, which is not the case with other 2 concentrations I see.

I beleive you have an other options too. 

Good luck !