What's up with Berkeley?

Contingent

Hi all, 

I saw that some acceptances and waitlists went out for UC Berkeley in January and some rejections in February, but I still have nothing. Is anyone else in the same boat? Any idea on what may be happening with my application? I would send an email, but they specifically said not to ask about applications until after mid-April. 

Thanks for the help!

It's not uncommon for schools to leave large groups of people without answers about their applications. Schools do this so that if things go really unexpectedly wrong (large numbers of acceptees and waitlistees reject Berkeley's offer) they can admit from the group of people good enough to not get instantly rejected until their class is full. 

It's pretty unlikely you'll get something other than a rejection, but if things break just your way, people do get in off these so-called "hidden waitlists," so unless you're about to accept an offer elsewhere, it's probably not worth soliciting anything from Berkeley. You can still probably treat it as a de facto rejection in your calculations. 

Edit: I went back and checked and I also don't think they sent out rejections. If that's the case, then this doesn't apply at all and they just haven't rejected anyone yet. 

Edited by jillmay000

Thanks everyone! I am hoping that those were not real rejections posted in February and that I am still in the running. I think (for less anxiety) I will presume it to be a rejection just to be safe for now though. 

1 hour ago, SmithM97 said:

Thanks everyone! I am hoping that those were not real rejections posted in February and that I am still in the running. I think (for less anxiety) I will presume it to be a rejection just to be safe for now though. 

Spreadsheet mod here-- the only rejections I have confirmed are for folks who applied to the LMS department! I ditto everyone else above about some departments not sending out rejections until they have a full class. A few departments have had to go back and un-reject folks in the past (and that's not good for optics to say the least). Other departments have university policies that require them to wait to send out rejections though I suspect Berkley isn't one since LMS sent Rs out already to at least some folks.

1 hour ago, MtnDuck said:

Spreadsheet mod here-- the only rejections I have confirmed are for folks who applied to the LMS department! I ditto everyone else above about some departments not sending out rejections until they have a full class. A few departments have had to go back and un-reject folks in the past (and that's not good for optics to say the least). Other departments have university policies that require them to wait to send out rejections though I suspect Berkley isn't one since LMS sent Rs out already to at least some folks.

Thank you so much for the information! You all have given me a bit more hope!

As a Berkeley scholar I was mildly disappointed that this was about the school (that was named after the city, which was named after George Berkeley from one of his poems) rather than on George Berkeley qua philosopher. Not surprised, but mildly disappointed.

4 hours ago, Duns Eith said:

As a Berkeley scholar I was mildly disappointed that this was about the school (that was named after the city, which was named after George Berkeley from one of his poems) rather than on George Berkeley qua philosopher. Not surprised, but mildly disappointed.

I humbly apologize for the disappointment.