2022 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

CanadianKate

Yep got the email for the University of Miami interview too! I went through the Draft groups from last two years. Can't see any mentions of an interview. So I guess this might be a new thing? I could be wrong. Either way, congrats to everyone and good luck! Rooting for us.

1 hour ago, maybenot14 said:

Interview invite at University of Miami (Fl)!!! Very excited, this is my first time applying to programs and this is the only one I applied to/my dream school. Anyone know how the interviews at this school go? If not, does anyone know if interviews are indicative of anything?

I didn't apply here but what I've noticed with programs that do interviews, it likely indicates you're being considered likely for funding, fellowship, or admission (or all three) but certainly don't raise hopes too high as it's new and some programs have interviewed more folks than they admit, but congrats!! I'm also a first time applying to MFAs person.

Hey all future successful writers <3

I’m writing on behalf of my boyfriend because frequenting Draft and the forums last year nearly gave him a coronary and in effort to maintain a positive mindset he's staying far away. 

To the meat of the issue: Can anyone confirm or deny an acceptance to Ole Miss for Creative Writing (fiction)? I see one on the results page from yesterday, February 24th, but I can’t tell where it came from and it’s not connected to a comment. Notably, Ole Miss’s website hasn’t been updated to say they’ve notified applicants but I know that doesn’t necessarily mean anything. 

15 minutes ago, kingsamong said:

Notably, Ole Miss’s website hasn’t been updated to say they’ve notified applicants but I know that doesn’t necessarily mean anything. 

That usually means nothing, tbh. Most places don't ever post that on their websites, and if they do, they wait till ALL of the notifications, including rejections, are sent.

I'd say that I haven't seen people post "fake" acceptances posted as results (they tend to line up fairly neatly from viewing trends), so it's likely that one's real. 

So it's likely not an acceptance, at the very least if he doesn't hear back in the next few days. Maybe a waitlist, maybe a rejection.

And sorry I don't have better news on that front.

Hey there guys, I just wanted to pop in and say that I've been seeing everyone's good news posts and I'm so happy to see so much success in this group this year!! I know things can be daunting, but we're doing the damn thing. Remember that ❤️

3 hours ago, MissMosquito said:

Please make that a line of soft-core, Brokeback romance poetry! I'd pick that up from a CVS rack, scan, purchase and walk out proud without a bag.

I'm assuming you're applying for poetry. Did you apply to both NWP and MCW, or just MCW? 

Yup, I applied to both NWP and Michener! Might as well since applying to both didn't take much additional time. Although the user interface of the MyStatus/My Documents page is... lackluster, to say the least

25 minutes ago, panglosian said:

Hey there guys, I just wanted to pop in and say that I've been seeing everyone's good news posts and I'm so happy to see so much success in this group this year!! I know things can be daunting, but we're doing the damn thing. Remember that ❤️

Yes, I feel like so many people in this thread are getting good news compared to years past! Definitely encouraging :) 

1 hour ago, questioningquestions said:

Yup, I applied to both NWP and Michener! Might as well since applying to both didn't take much additional time. Although the user interface of the MyStatus/My Documents page is... lackluster, to say the least

Yeah, it was pretty confusing for my recommenders. I wonder how much overlap there is with the adcoms between the two programs.

36 minutes ago, MissMosquito said:

Since checking here as been spotty for me, forgive me if this was discussed already, but if I haven't heard anything from Iowa for poetry, should I assume it's a rejection?

I can't seriously believe Iowa is done notifying or has even started notifying poetry applicants considering no one in the Facebook group mentioned an acceptance. There are a few poets in that group who are powerhouses and have been getting accepted to every top-tier program they applied to; I would be surprised if Iowa also didn't accept them. It ain't over 'til the Draft Demigods post an Iowa poetry acceptance!

On 2/24/2022 at 1:25 PM, nicolette7766 said:

i’m not sure how many applicants they accept for each genre but since they do interviews, i like to think it’s spread out (they probably want to interview waitlisted people too). one of my good friends also applied there for fiction, so i’m hoping the best for the two of you!

good luck!!

Did your friend ever hear anything back from UNCG? 

Or did you see anything on draft? 

Sorry to bother you again, but historically UNCG sends stuff out on the last friday in February. 

I look forward to your response. ?

12 minutes ago, CHRISTOPHER QUANG BUI said:

Did your friend ever hear anything back from UNCG? 

Or did you see anything on draft? 

Sorry to bother you again, but historically UNCG sends stuff out on the last friday in February. 

I look forward to your response. ?

During my interview, they mentioned decisions being sent out next Friday. This might just be for poetry, but decisions may be a week later this year. Hang in there! 

13 minutes ago, charlotte808 said:

During my interview, they mentioned decisions being sent out next Friday. This might just be for poetry, but decisions may be a week later this year. Hang in there! 

Awesome. Thank you so much. 

Do you think that those who didnt get interviews yet didnt get in? 

So I did that thing where I start obsessing over my grad applications when there are no more new posts on here to read, no new stats on the results page, no more obsessive cleaning to do in the house. Naturally, I start scanning my remaining grad school apps to programs that have yet to submit decisions...bad idea. I noticed a fatal flaw in one of my SOPs--it mentions the wrong program! There's nothing like writing a love letter to Johnny, only to address it to your other lover Gerald! Or worse, moaning your ex's name during sex. (That's never happened to me!) I planned on avoiding this mistake by tailoring each program app SOP from a template where no school was specifically named, but I guess I got sloppy toward the end. I'm mortified. First time applicant nightmare has come to fruition! Welp, my bet is I don't get into Vanderbilt! Has anyone else ever done this?

Edited by MissMosquito
typos