Mental Health Counseling (Master's) 2021

Mindfulyogi

Hi all! I thought I'd start a thread for those of us applying/waiting/accepted or declined into master's for mental health counseling programs. I'm just curious about others' experiences with the admissions/decisions process so far and wanted to connect!  

Edited by Mindfulyogi

Hello!

I just got into CSUN's MFT program after being waitlisted. I'm still waiting for CSULB's Counseling Psychology program though. Does anyone have any advice on how to decide which one to go to incase I get accepted into CSULB? 

22 hours ago, inthaacutt said:

hello :)

fellow mhc applicant here. just got accepted to nyu, denied from columbia, and waiting on a response from hunter. tbh i've been searching far and wide for more information on these programs and struggling to find much!

ahh congrats on your NYU acceptance!! ? i'm actually still (nervously) waiting to hear back from them! submitted early Jan., but I have gotten into other counseling programs that I am super excited about as well (Penn, BC) but definitely am eager to hear from NYU. i didn't apply to columbia's counseling program, but was there a supplemental application/essay or anything? just curious! 

2 hours ago, Psych1st said:

Hello! I am attending Clemson and my classes actually start in June. I'm happy to see that someone started a CMHC thread. 

congratulations! that's so exciting that you will be starting soon! and yes, me too as I didn't see any so thought I'd start one. :) 

14 hours ago, Somnial said:

Hello!

I just got into CSUN's MFT program after being waitlisted. I'm still waiting for CSULB's Counseling Psychology program though. Does anyone have any advice on how to decide which one to go to incase I get accepted into CSULB? 

congrats!! i don't know too much about either program, but there are a host of factors for me as i'm deciding on my programs. i like to look at faculty profiles, tuition (though as they are both CSU perhaps tuition $ is similar?), program size, community, school/program reputation, cost of living, etc.

@ktrunner9922 wow congrats on all your acceptances!! atm i'm deciding between upenn vs. BC and still waiting on NYU. just curious, what factors made you choose to attend Hopkins? also one of my best friends is doing her phd in the soe at jhu and has had a really good experience thus far!

Edited by Mindfulyogi

On 3/27/2021 at 2:12 PM, Mindfulyogi said:

@ktrunner9922 wow congrats on all your acceptances!! atm i'm deciding between upenn vs. BC and still waiting on NYU. just curious, what factors made you choose to attend Hopkins? also one of my best friends is doing her phd in the soe at jhu and has had a really good experience thus far!

Congrats on your acceptances as well!! Wishing you the best in making your decision :) Hopkins was the second cheapest option for me and they are more than likely going to be CACREP accredited starting again this summer. Money was a huge factor for me so Hopkins really seemed like too good of an opportunity to pass up on. I was ecstatic to be accepted into UPenn's program, but as you know, it is pricey and I just didn't think I could afford that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellow future counselors! I was offered acceptance to NYU, CUNY, and Yorkville (Canada).

I'm Canadian, about to start my I-20 and visa application as I aim to attend NYU. Would love to connect with anyone going into an MHC program this fall and/or in NYC!

Edited by atina_nus
grammar

22 hours ago, psyched_trojan2015 said:

Just found out I got into Northwestern's Counseling@Northwestern program. Excited, but holy h*ll, it's so expensive. Seeing if the financial aid will bring anything to lower that steep price tag...

Hi, was you admitted from the waitlist or something? They put me in the waitlist months ago and I still heard nothing from them lol.

17 hours ago, Lucccccy said:

Hi, was you admitted from the waitlist or something? They put me in the waitlist months ago and I still heard nothing from them lol.

Hello,

I don’t believe so! I applied early for the Fall 2021 term and did my group interview I think about 2 months ago. Have you followed up with them? Which terms did you apply for?

Hi everyone,

I am from China. Applying for MHC program in the US is such a challenging thing to me. I have got admitted into NYU, and received another offer from University of Edinburgh (counselling interpersonal dialogue program). And I decide to go to Edinburgh which is a decision I have never thought about, because I aimed to study in the US. Anyway, wish you all good luck, and whatever the decision is it can turn out to be a good one later!

6 hours ago, Lucccccy said:

Oh okay! I am also applying for the Fall 2021 term. Congratulations to you!! 

Thank you! I honestly wasn't sure if I would get in after the group interview so I was pleasantly surprised. If you want to connect more, feel free to DM on here! Also, fingers crossed for you!