PhD / DrPh Fall 2022

Somewhere out there in the universe of public health SBS PhD applicants is a student who needs to take the other offer we both know you got another offer-- take that one, and say no to the program I applied to. I'm sure both of the programs are equally great, you got full funding for both of them, right? So just...take that other one. 

Sincerely, 

Waitlisted.

(EDIT to add: this is intended to be a lighthearted letter to those making decisions. I do wish you all well, and hope your decision comes with ease, enthusiasm, and a positive outcome!)

Edited by NervousPhDhopeful

46 minutes ago, NervousPhDhopeful said:

Somewhere out there in the universe of public health SBS PhD applicants is a student who needs to take the other offer we both know you got another offer-- take that one, and say no to the program I applied to. I'm sure both of the programs are equally great, you got full funding for both of them, right? So just...take that other one. 

Sincerely, 

Waitlisted.

I promise we're trying! I only received waitlists last year so I know what you're going through. This is obviously a huge decision to make and trying to get all the information needed to inform that decision is proving difficult and time intensive. For example, some people cannot schedule meetings to talk about the offer until next week and I wasn't able to get flights to visit until later in the month. It also doesn't help when some schools still haven't released decisions and we're waitlisted at other programs as well. We're doing our best and are not trying to wait to the last second!

2 minutes ago, Public_health_and_cats said:

I promise we're trying! I only received waitlists last year so I know what you're going through. This is obviously a huge decision to make and trying to get all the information needed to inform that decision is proving difficult and time intensive. For example, some people cannot schedule meetings to talk about the offer until next week and I wasn't able to get flights to visit until later in the month. It also doesn't help when some schools still haven't released decisions and we're waitlisted at other programs as well. We're doing our best and are not trying to wait to the last second!

This made me feel a lot better, actually. My initial comment was supposed to be light-hearted, not frustrated-- though I see now that may not have come across. I'll make a note of it. I will also hold onto your comment during the coming weeks while I hope and will things to go in my favor to keep in mind that the decision for everyone else is as huge and difficult as it is for me. I wish you well on your visits and meetings!! and hope you're able to attend the program that fits you best!

2 hours ago, NervousPhDhopeful said:

Sincerely, 

Waitlisted.

(EDIT to add: this is intended to be a lighthearted letter to those making decisions. I do wish you all well, and hope your decision comes with ease, enthusiasm, and a positive outcome!)

This made me smile. That is not to diminish the gravity of the process, which is awfully anxiety-ridden and grueling, or to take anything away from those faced with challenging decisions. But this was the lighthearted moment I needed today. Thanks, @NervousPhDhopeful.

Accepted: 

NYU GPH Social and Behavioral Sciences (interview invite 2/3, interviewed mid Feb, accepted Mar 9)

UNC Health Policy and Management, Organization and Implementation Science track (interviewed 1/10 for gauging interests and fellowship fit, accepted Feb 25 without fellowship)

Washington University in St. Louis Biomedical Informatics and Data Science (interview invite 12/20, interviewed mid Feb. accepted Feb 24)

Waitlisted: 

Northwestern University Health Science Integrated, Health and Biomedical Informatics track (interview invite 1/25, interviewed early Feb, waitlisted Mar 3)

Rejected:

NYU Vilcek Institute Population Health track (interview invite 12/20, interviewed mid Jan. Never heard back so assumed rejection)

UCSF Epidemiology and Translational Sciences, Implementation Science track (interview invite 1/26, interviewed early-mid Feb, rejected March 2) 

The UCSF is the only program that I feel is a perfect match. I gave myself two cycles for it and it's time to move on. The faculty I interviewed with offered a research position but as an international student my visa is running out of time so unfortunately I had to decline. I am very struggled in picking a program as my research trajectories will be so different based on this decision. It's like my brain and my heart are at two different places. 

Update:

CUNY Environmental and Planetary Health Sciences - Accepted 2/28

UIC Community Health Sciences - Rejected 3/9

UCLA Community Health Sciences - Awaiting

SDSU/UCSD Health Behavior - Awaiting

I know that SDSU/UCSD always makes late decisions, but at this point should I be expecting a rejection from UCLA CHS? Has anyone else already heard from them?

On 3/6/2022 at 12:21 AM, DrPH Dan said:

Anybody hear back about the Bloomberg Fellowship? Or at least know when we will hear back? So excited to have been accepted to Hopkins DrPH, but this is a very expensive program ?

Congratulations! I am also starting the Hopkins DrPH program in the summer. I did not apply to any fellowships however but looking into any funding opportunities (hard to find).  I hope you will hear good news about your fellowship program! 

Hello Everyone,

I have included links to two rejection letters from  1919 and 1938 that helped me put this whole application process into perspective especially after today when I received my second and last rejection letter this time around from UNC's DrPH program (I was interviewed late February).  The individuals who received the 1919 and 1939 rejection letters faced greater obstacles than I will ever know.  I respect their struggle and am grateful that because of them and many others, I have this opportunity.   So if you did not get in this time, remember that "rejection is nothing more than a necessary step in the pursuit of success." - Bo Bennett and if you were accepted, please savor every moment of your DrPH journey!

P.S.

The UNC rejection letter that I received today, stated that there were 170 applications and that they interviewed 60 for just 13 available spaces.

P.S.S.

NervousPHDhopeful - thanks for the laugh, just what I needed :)

8 hours ago, DRPH State of Mind said:

I have included links to two rejection letters from  1919 and 1938 that helped me put this whole application process into perspective especially after today when I received my second and last rejection letter this time around from UNC's DrPH program (I was interviewed late February).  The individuals who received the 1919 and 1939 rejection letters faced greater obstacles than I will ever know.  I respect their struggle and am grateful that because of them and many others, I have this opportunity.   So if you did not get in this time, remember that "rejection is nothing more than a necessary step in the pursuit of success." - Bo Bennett and if you were accepted, please savor every moment of your DrPH journey!

Thank you for sharing these. You're right that we have the opportunities to apply because of what others have endured, and yet there's still so much work to do. I've actually been wondering if I'd have been accepted to JHU if I had applied for the Social Justice and Equity track instead of Informatics. My CV is full of social justice and equity, and I have an MSW in addition to an MPH, so I thought that taking that experience and then branching into informatics would bring the most good. But I am a woman, and that is also going from a very woman-centered area to a male-dominated one, and doing so without a massively heavy informatics CV was probably unwise. But oh well.

I am sorry you didn't get into UNC. I was rejected from there as well but I didn't get an interview. You should feel proud to have gotten that far! I am still waiting on UNC but have otherwise been savoring every minute since my Rutgers acceptance and confirming with them. Especially right now with how our field has blown up, I feel very lucky to have a spot from my first application cycle. 

May I ask what were your other application outcomes? 

49 minutes ago, DrPHPlans said:

Thank you for sharing these. You're right that we have the opportunities to apply because of what others have endured, and yet there's still so much work to do. I've actually been wondering if I'd have been accepted to JHU if I had applied for the Social Justice and Equity track instead of Informatics. My CV is full of social justice and equity, and I have an MSW in addition to an MPH, so I thought that taking that experience and then branching into informatics would bring the most good. But I am a woman, and that is also going from a very woman-centered area to a male-dominated one, and doing so without a massively heavy informatics CV was probably unwise. But oh well.

I am sorry you didn't get into UNC. I was rejected from there as well but I didn't get an interview. You should feel proud to have gotten that far! I am still waiting on UNC but have otherwise been savoring every minute since my Rutgers acceptance and confirming with them. Especially right now with how our field has blown up, I feel very lucky to have a spot from my first application cycle. 

I had similar train of thought when applying to JHU's Informatics program. I got rejected unfortunately but now reflecting and realizing that it may not have been my best choice without having solid background in Informatics. Still waiting to hear from 3 schools though! Hope everyone waiting will get some good news here soon.

10 hours ago, DRPH State of Mind said:

Hello Everyone,

P.S.

The UNC rejection letter that I received today, stated that there were 170 applications and that they interviewed 60 for just 13 available spaces.

P.S.S.

NervousPHDhopeful - thanks for the laugh, just what I needed :)

This is great perspective, thank you for sharing! I also received my UNC rejection today. It was expected as I know it's a very competitive program and I didn't feel great about my interview. I do feel extremely fortunate to have made it to the semifinalist/interview stage and am counting that as a small win in this journey! :)

15 minutes ago, sheisgreat said:

Hello! I have been a silent reader but just thought to inquire, has anyone applied to LLU- Loma Linda University. What stream did you apply to? Have you heard yet from them? 

I applied to LLU- global leadership but no I have not heard anything yet and emailed them last week..

So I just checked my spam folder on a whim and to my horror there was an interview invite in there I received 13 days ago! I'm sure y'all are way more on top of it than I am, but just in case anyone needs a reminder - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDERS!

21 minutes ago, Public_health_and_cats said:

So I just checked my spam folder on a whim and to my horror there was an interview invite in there I received 13 days ago! I'm sure y'all are way more on top of it than I am, but just in case anyone needs a reminder - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDERS!

What school was it? 

16 hours ago, DrPHPlans said:

Hi DrPHPlans,

I am glad that you found the post useful.  You have a good point about choosing the JHU track in which you have the most experience versus the track that would complement your experience and give you the opportunity to incorporate equitable strategies within the field of public health informatics.  I had a similar approach with JHU (which was the other DrPH program that I applied for and was rejected from). I proposed to combine studies from both the health equity/social justice concentration and the healthcare management/leadership track.  More recently I have been involved in health policy and management and thought that integrating elements of the two would help to address disparities within the healthcare agency where I currently work and disparities in the surrounding community where our patients and their families live.  But in hindsight I also think that I should have only chosen the equity/social justice concentration which is where I have the most experience. 

I am definitely inspired after my first round of applications because it took me years to finally complete the application process.  So after making it over that barrier and actually making it to the UNC interview, I feel like I did right by the individuals in the letters (from my previous post)!   But after feeling disappointed by the rejections, I feel stronger and know that I have all the previous individuals who were rejected over race and gender standing behind me moving me forward :) 

So congratulations on getting accepted into Rutgers on your FIRST application cycle!  And know that I am so thrilled that you got in and will truly represent all the women before you who were not as fortunate. 

15 hours ago, PH2022 said:

This is great perspective, thank you for sharing! I also received my UNC rejection today. It was expected as I know it's a very competitive program and I didn't feel great about my interview. I do feel extremely fortunate to have made it to the semifinalist/interview stage and am counting that as a small win in this journey! :)

Hello PH2022,

Thanks for responding, it's nice to chat with somebody who knows my pain :( and appreciates the perspective :).  I am sorry that you did not get in yet glad that we are both semifinalist!  Woo-hoo!!!  It really is a nice feeling that I will carry with me to the next round!  If applicable, hope you do the same.   

Edited by DRPH State of Mind

15 hours ago, DrPH2022WI said:

I had similar train of thought when applying to JHU's Informatics program. I got rejected unfortunately but now reflecting and realizing that it may not have been my best choice without having solid background in Informatics. Still waiting to hear from 3 schools though! Hope everyone waiting will get some good news here soon.

Hi DrPH2022WI,

Agreed! Good luck with the other 3 schools!

9 hours ago, DRPH State of Mind said:

So congratulations on getting accepted into Rutgers on your FIRST application cycle!  And know that I am so thrilled that you got in and will truly represent all the women before you who were not as fortunate. 

Thank you! I will work hard for all of us ?

I'm glad you hear that you're motivated to apply again. It took me a while to finally apply -- I started looking at the JHU program when the remote DrPH first started around 2017. I needed to gain experience, finish the making babies thing I was doing, and it's so neat to be at the place where you can apply. If you also need a remote/hybrid program, there may be a few more for next year, too. It only makes sense for this degree since work experience is so important. I applied to all 4 I could find: JHU, UNC, Rutgers, and UIC. I still haven't heard from UIC but chose Rutgers anyway. I was expecting to get into JHU, more-so than UNC, but like we've said, maybe we didn't pick tracks well. I personally think it sounds like the way we approached them makes a lot of sense. And I hate that PhD students can apply to multiple departments, but we couldn't choose more than one track. 

Apply again -- we'll be there holding down the fort until you join us!