2022 Application Thread

dr. t

1 hour ago, aurelie426 said:

I'm setting up some Zoom calls with POIs at programs I've been accepted to (!!) Would love some advice about the sorts of questions to ask and things to pay attention to when assessing offers! 

I’ve done one Zoom with a prospective advisor so far. I asked about the makeup of the program in terms of size and fields and about the culture of the school more generally. You’ve already been accepted, so I feel like some pressure is off and you should ask whatever questions you still have about the program. Definitely ask to be put in touch with current students if you haven’t already.

On 2/11/2022 at 4:35 PM, aurelie426 said:

I'm setting up some Zoom calls with POIs at programs I've been accepted to (!!) Would love some advice about the sorts of questions to ask and things to pay attention to when assessing offers! 

This is a good moment to inquire about the hidden curriculum of your program. For example, you can ask about the typical time of completion, the expectations in each year (including service/TAing/RAing expectations), any new developments that the program is thinking about (maybe they will start offering a certificate or maybe the grad studies committee is changing comps format). You can also ask about library resources, digital scholarship, conferences that faculty usually attend (and might bring you with), research funds available in and outside the department, etc. 

For example, in my program, students working under a prof were more or less expected to get a major research grant. For US Americanists it was a given that they will do another language even if it wasn't required. In another program that I know, grad students often worked at the rare books library or the museum. And so on. 

There are many things that faculty won't know (and it's not their job). Eg: health insurance, visa stuff, student fees, etc. 

Congratulations!

On 2/12/2022 at 10:35 AM, aurelie426 said:

Ask how they support students to get grants/research and writing fellowships, and how successful students have been -- this is not something I thought was particularly important when I was considering programs, but grants have made my phd possible (and my life so much easier) even with a stipend over 30k + paid teaching. Money makes a difference, and big fellowships often come with networks and prestige (all important when it comes to the job market). 

Edited by OHSP

11 hours ago, parallaxview said:

Does anyone have an idea of when we should expect decisions from NYU? FWIW, I didn't interview, but had a conversation on Zoom with a POI in September. 

I second that, even though I am wating for the joint phd with French studies, which means - if I understood correctly - that I'll need to wait for both departments to make a decision...Judging from GC's archives, some decisions (but it's unclear if they were formal or informal) had been communicated in the second week of February. So I wouldn't be surprised if some people were informed next week. But this is of course just a conjecture.

I am an international student (although with US citizenship) and unsure about the situation with graduate assistantships and taxes? If anyone can enlighten me in this regard would be grateful because trying to work out how much of the income would be taxed. 

19 hours ago, starsalign said:

anyone accepted to rutgers -- how did you hear? what was the process? my portal still says decision pending :(

I got a personal email yesterday from the DGS stating that I was wait listed. Looks like one other person has also shared that result on the portal. Best of luck!

Also, I need a bit of advice. For those of you who had multiple offers, what did the negotiation process look like? I've had at least two schools express that they would be open to making more competitive offers based on my other results. 

3 hours ago, Maguire said:

I am an international student (although with US citizenship) and unsure about the situation with graduate assistantships and taxes? If anyone can enlighten me in this regard would be grateful because trying to work out how much of the income would be taxed. 

Starting with the caveat that I'm neither an accountant nor a lawyer:

I remember reporting it as "unearned income" and then calculating the monthly state/federal taxes and withholding it that way.

I saw 2 people who got BU History decisions, one admit and one waitlist. Does this mean all admits and waitlists have gone out and the remaining people are rejects? How does this work? I'm so impatient and confused and stressed out to my maximum waiting.

1 hour ago, LaVieilleDame said:

Does this mean all admits and waitlists have gone out and the remaining people are rejects?

This is a reasonable assumption, and usually how the process works.

1 hour ago, dr. telkanuru said:

This is a reasonable assumption, and usually how the process works.

Is this also true if the two (1 admit, 1 WL) were for Am Hist and I'm Euro? I dont mean to sound like I'm desperately grasping at straws, but I'm desperately grasping at straws.