Planning Admissions 2022

3 minutes ago, planningapp22 said:

@lazerdunk @TomorrowsParties -- I just received an email from UIC. they said they would be sending more as the week goes on. Accepted with 5k total scholarship -- any good news on your end? I am curious if anyone is receiving assistantships. 

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear they are moving along. I haven’t received any word yet. 

3 hours ago, TomorrowsParties said:

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear they are moving along. I haven’t received any word yet. 

@planningapp22 Got my letter today too, with the same 5k! Every bit helps. I replied to Dom and asked if there was a specific place I should be checking for potentially available assistantships... my guess is that if we weren't offered them off the bat we will just need to apply for them as they become available throughout the year/semesters. 

I will likely be accepting, as this is the best financial decision for me and I am excited about the program! (Plus I'm already in the city, which definitely helps :) ) What about you? 

6 minutes ago, lazerdunk said:

@planningapp22 Got my letter today too, with the same 5k! Every bit helps. I replied to Dom and asked if there was a specific place I should be checking for potentially available assistantships... my guess is that if we weren't offered them off the bat we will just need to apply for them as they become available throughout the year/semesters. 

I will likely be accepting, as this is the best financial decision for me and I am excited about the program! (Plus I'm already in the city, which definitely helps :) ) What about you? 

Yeah I assume the same, and hopefully opportunities pop up as time goes on.

I am local in Chicago, too! It definitely is a top choice but UMN gave me scholarships that make is financially the same so that is a close option too.... will need to visit/talk to people/etc to see which is better for me. It is such a hard choice because long term I would like to be in Chicago

On 3/21/2022 at 8:06 AM, TheTreePrince said:

Has anyone heard yet from Rutgers about funding? Hoping to make a decision soon but funding’s a pretty big factor to consider

From the admissions office: 

"Notifications on admissions and our merit / academic-based funding awards are done in two phases. The 1st phase is the notification on basic admissions decisions. The 2nd phase will be the notification on whether you received any of our merit / academic-based funding awards (which come in the form of scholarships, fellowships and assistantships). These notifications will start to go out via email starting in late March and will continue to do so on a rolling basis, daily, up through April 15th. 

Please make your best effort to attend the open house as we will have an entire session on merit-based funding!"

4 minutes ago, plan_t said:

From the admissions office: 

"Notifications on admissions and our merit / academic-based funding awards are done in two phases. The 1st phase is the notification on basic admissions decisions. The 2nd phase will be the notification on whether you received any of our merit / academic-based funding awards (which come in the form of scholarships, fellowships and assistantships). These notifications will start to go out via email starting in late March and will continue to do so on a rolling basis, daily, up through April 15th. 

Please make your best effort to attend the open house as we will have an entire session on merit-based funding!"

WOW

On 3/21/2022 at 10:54 PM, TheTreePrince said:

Just received a rather generic acceptance email from UBC. No mention of any funding or personalization at all really, but the portal says I have an offer. They’re giving a month for my decision which is more than some other Canadian programs

When did you apply?

Hey @lazerdunk, @TomorrowsParties, @planningapp22 congrats on UIC! I was accepted w/ an assistantship (10 hrs per wk of work plus tuition/fee remission) - will prob be turning it down (i love chicago but i'm accepting an awesome opportunity at MIT) so hopefully it goes back into their pool for one of y'all :)

25 minutes ago, urban_geographer_planner said:

Hey @lazerdunk, @TomorrowsParties, @planningapp22 congrats on UIC! I was accepted w/ an assistantship (10 hrs per wk of work plus tuition/fee remission) - will prob be turning it down (i love chicago but i'm accepting an awesome opportunity at MIT) so hopefully it goes back into their pool for one of y'all :)

Amazing! Congratulations, and thank you for the update!

14 hours ago, planningapplicant said:

Did anyone attend the Queen's Zoom session with the faculty and cohort today? I unfortunately couldn't make it due to a work conflict. 

I attended the Zoom session for Queen's. In the session, they went over info like field trips, courses available, degree options (courses only, thesis, or research project), international exchange opportunities, the international award program, costs of Kingston housing, some key queen's facebook groups, orientation week, conferences, and events put on by the academic society for planning. Hope this helps! 

On 2/21/2022 at 10:59 PM, muggleplanner said:

Also waiting with you guys :)

Mine is kinda different, I understand most of you here are applying to US schools. I applied to different schools around the world haha. I did not have a specific country in mind, but I really wanted to do my masters abroad so I applied to the schools I liked.

Age/Gender/Citizenship

24 / M / Philippines

Undergraduate degree/School/Year graduated 

BS Architecture / UPD / 2019

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL (for Int'l students) 

1.38/1.00 (reverse scale, ~3.4/4.0) - No GRE - IELTS 8.0

Work Experience:

2.5 years for a real estate developer

Letter of recommendations: (from whom)

Several professors (thesis adviser, former dean), work supervisor

Schools applied to:  Auckland (NZ)/ Melbourne (AU) / UCD (IE) / Polimi (IT) / VIU (CA) / SUTD (SG)/ Sheffield, Manchester, Cardiff (UK)

In: Auckland, Melbourne, UCD, Polimi, VIU, SUTD, Manchester

Out: Sheffield

Wait-list:

Awaiting:  Cardiff, Glasgow

Results:

I am more likely to go to VIU. It was not really my top choice at first, but I was not able to secure the funding I was hoping for in all the universities I was accepted. Considering that I will pay, I felt VIU is the right choice for me. I hope I chose well. :) Good luck to everyone!

49 minutes ago, Making other plans said:

I attended the Zoom session for Queen's. In the session, they went over info like field trips, courses available, degree options (courses only, thesis, or research project), international exchange opportunities, the international award program, costs of Kingston housing, some key queen's facebook groups, orientation week, conferences, and events put on by the academic society for planning. Hope this helps! 

Did they give dates for orientation week?

1 hour ago, Making other plans said:

Awesome, thanks so much!! 

28 minutes ago, muggleplanner said:

I am more likely to go to VIU. It was not really my top choice at first, but I was not able to secure the funding I was hoping for in all the universities I was accepted. Considering that I will pay, I felt VIU is the right choice for me. I hope I chose well. :) Good luck to everyone!

I hear VIU's program is excellent. It's still quite new but very organized and well put together. The courses look great and they aren't too theoretical which can be the case with a lot of the older programs. I live in BC and they have a really good reputation here. Congrats! 

Received an offer + generous fellowship from SFU Master of Urban Studies today. Pretty kind of them, as that's tuition for my entire degree, and I get to keep my full time planning job. 

Still waiting to hear back from UBC regarding their Research Masters programs (not MCRP). Anybody have any luck? 

Edited by luckygoldfish
I can't spell

19 hours ago, planningapplicant said:

I hear VIU's program is excellent. It's still quite new but very organized and well put together. The courses look great and they aren't too theoretical which can be the case with a lot of the older programs. I live in BC and they have a really good reputation here. Congrats! 

This is reassuring, thank you!

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but I just checked my University of Toronto ACORN account (acorn.utoronto.ca) and it says "Invited" for the Master of Science in Planning. Haven't heard anything by email so I'll wait for official confirmation, but I'd recommend anyone waiting for UofT to check ACORN.

On 3/25/2022 at 2:28 PM, Quincy_Taft_Coolidge said:

For those who attended the USC Admitted Students Day tell me what they talked about. I wanted to go but UT Austin's Admitted Students Day was today as well.

I wasn't able to go to the USC one in person yesterday but they are doing a virtual admitted student event this coming Wednesday