Planning Admissions 2022

On 2/27/2022 at 9:40 AM, TheTreePrince said:

Congratulations to everyone who's heard back and gotten in so far! Excited for all of us!

Still waiting to hear back at UofT, UBC, McGill, Dal, and Rutgers. Surprised it seems no one's heard back from any of these programs yet.

Noticed you're applying everywhere but Queen's. Any reservations abt their program? Wondering bec I have an offer there.

5 minutes ago, masterofwhat said:

Noticed you're applying everywhere but Queen's. Any reservations abt their program? Wondering bec I have an offer there.

No, no reservations really. I’ve only done the bare minimum of research though so I don’t know much about the Queen’s program. I just didn’t apply because I only graduated from my undergrad at Queen’s last year and, though I absolutely loved my time there, I’d like to live someplace other than Kingston for a while

On 3/26/2022 at 2:57 PM, TheTreePrince said:

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but I just checked my University of Toronto ACORN account (acorn.utoronto.ca) and it says "Invited" for the Master of Science in Planning. Haven't heard anything by email so I'll wait for official confirmation, but I'd recommend anyone waiting for UofT to check ACORN.

I checked Enrol & Manage and Enrolment confirmation but I haven't been "invited" to anything. I'll definitely keep an eye out throughout this week though! Thanks for the heads up

4 hours ago, masterofwhat said:

Probably yes after a few more days of nail-biting. I like the cohesiveness of the program and Kingston is a great lakeside town

Kingston is lovely! Everyone I've talked to so far has loved it!

55 minutes ago, Making other plans said:

Congrats! I accepted my offer too!

Thank you, congrats to you as well! See you in September ?

Anyone here deciding between urban planning and environmental management?  Accepted to some urban planning programs (USC, UPenn, Cornell, UVA, Tufts) and also some environmental management programs (Duke Nicholas, Michigan SEAS).  Fresh out of undergrad so having a hard time deciding, pros and cons to both.

31 minutes ago, renewables22 said:

Anyone here deciding between urban planning and environmental management?  Accepted to some urban planning programs (USC, UPenn, Cornell, UVA, Tufts) and also some environmental management programs (Duke Nicholas, Michigan SEAS).  Fresh out of undergrad so having a hard time deciding, pros and cons to both.

What do you want to end up doing after you graduate? Also, you might want to consider a dual program. 

I know that UVA has a strong emphasis on environmental planning.

**Michigan has a dual program: https://seas.umich.edu/academics/dual-degree-programs/environment-sustainability-and-urban-and-regional-planning-ms-and

**Duke has a dual program: https://nicholas.duke.edu/news/introducing-new-dual-degree-program-environmental-management-and-city-regional-planning

**Might have to ask admissions if you do accept these offers if it is possible to still do the dual degree.

Again, before you do anything I think it will be best to ponder what it is you want to achieve while in school and what careers you want after graduating.

2 hours ago, sjkplanner said:

Hi all!
Has Anyone received an offer from UofT for the planning program?

9 minutes ago, masterofwhat said:

still nope   TreePrince reported Acorn invite

Yup, I see an invited status on Acorn at UofT but don’t have an offer or anything official. I sent an email to the department on Saturday but haven’t heard back yet. Will update here when I do!

Aaaand I'm out for UofTs MArch. I just saw someone else was rejected on grad cafe too... Ffff, this hurts. Everything's on Polimi now.

Applied to: Polimi (MSc Building Architecture & MSc Built Enviro. Interiors), TU Delft, UofT MArch AP
Accepted:
Rejected: TU Delft Architecture Track (08/02/2022), UofT MArch AP (29/03/2022)
Waitlisted:

Received an official offer from UofT! The wait is over! Now comes the hard but fortunate issue of making a decision...

Mostly deciding between Ryerson and UofT (with UBC as a third option). Not sure about balancing the practical program at Ryerson with the international reputation at UofT. Ideally, I'd be working someplace warmer in the future (US or Australia) and so I assume UofT would help based on name recognition, but Ryerson seems like a program that would better equip me for the workplace and field overall...

On 2/25/2022 at 12:26 PM, nush19 said:

I've been silently following this thread for a while now. Might as well jump in ha 

Age/Gender/Citizenship

24/F/Int'l

Undergraduate degree/School/Year graduated 

BArch / Top 20 in my country / 2020

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL (for Int'l students) 

8.45/10 - NA - 117/120

Work Experience:

1+ yr experience in participatory planning and community-led design projects 

6 month internship at the same firm where I work 

Letter of recommendations: (from whom)

Principal of undergrad, Thesis guide and mentor, 2 employers (one is an alumni of Columbia) 

Schools applied to: TU Delft, KTH Sweden, MIT, UPenn, GSD, Berkeley, Columbia MSAUD

In: UPenn (with funding), Columbia MSAUD (no scholarship), TU Delft (no scholaraship)

Out: Berkeley, GSD, MIT DUSP

Wait-list: MIT SMArchS Urbanism

Awaiting: KTH Sweden

Final Result: Haven't accepted Penn yet, but will accept soon

HEY! I am incredibly late to this update, but here I am! Congratulations to everyone!

Does anyone have any experience getting off a waitlist? Is that something that realistically happens? Although I know a waitlist for SMArchS is as good as a no, I still have hopes.

I'm most likely going to UPenn in the Fall. Anyone who is also doing the same, I would love to connect. 

I'm trying to negotiate aid with UPenn. They say that the aid they've given me is one of the highest, but I really need more to actually make the masters situation work for me.  Any tips?

14 hours ago, TheTreePrince said:

Received an official offer from UofT! The wait is over! Now comes the hard but fortunate issue of making a decision...

Mostly deciding between Ryerson and UofT (with UBC as a third option). Not sure about balancing the practical program at Ryerson with the international reputation at UofT. Ideally, I'd be working someplace warmer in the future (US or Australia) and so I assume UofT would help based on name recognition, but Ryerson seems like a program that would better equip me for the workplace and field overall...

Congratulations!!! Glad to know at least one person got an offer there:)

13 hours ago, nush19 said:

HEY! I am incredibly late to this update, but here I am! Congratulations to everyone!

Does anyone have any experience getting off a waitlist? Is that something that realistically happens? Although I know a waitlist for SMArchS is as good as a no, I still have hopes.

I'm most likely going to UPenn in the Fall. Anyone who is also doing the same, I would love to connect. 

I'm trying to negotiate aid with UPenn. They say that the aid they've given me is one of the highest, but I really need more to actually make the masters situation work for me.  Any tips?

I’m also probably going to UPenn and also trying to negotiate aid. I’ve also heard that the aid they gave me is about the highest they usually give anyone so not getting my hopes up too much. I did however talk to one past applicant who managed to negotiate 75% funding after several rounds of back and forth. 

Did you get into any other schools that are either cheaper and/or gave you more funding? If so it would probably make it a lot easier to negotiate

Congrats will all of your acceptances! I am probably headed to Penn this fall (waitlisted at Yale, but not sure how many spots will open up)

International coming straight from undergrad, so a bit confused about how I should negotiate with financial aid. Penn gave me a pretty generous package, but it would be super helpful to get more. Any tips would be super appreciated!

Edited by GreenCities0311