HGSE 2022

TabTurbo

Hi everyone! I was also accepted to the ELOE program and just waiting for financial aid info...it's a bit nerve-wracking to say the least ? I'm still reeling from the news but would love to connect with any folks who are currently weighing other options as well. Congrats to all who were admitted!

7 hours ago, sedjim57 said:

Hi everyone! I was also accepted to the ELOE program and just waiting for financial aid info...it's a bit nerve-wracking to say the least ? I'm still reeling from the news but would love to connect with any folks who are currently weighing other options as well. Congrats to all who were admitted!

Hi! I'm in the same boat as well. I would love nothing more than to attend HGSE, but I know without any financial aid it just wouldn't be a possibility for me :(

I also got into Teacher's College and they offered a good (if not great) package, but I'm still holding out hope for HGSE. It would be pretty heart breaking to get in and not be able to go because of finances, but this is life sometimes. 

Hi everyone! I’ve been lurking on this thread for a bit and am excited to have been accepted to HGSE for Education Policy and Analysis. Currently deciding between Teacher’s College, Penn GSE, and HGSE, but would love to join a Facebook group, etc. if you all know of any. Excited to connect with you all and congrats to everyone who got in! 

9 hours ago, MsKTeachesEnglish said:

Hi! I'm in the same boat as well. I would love nothing more than to attend HGSE, but I know without any financial aid it just wouldn't be a possibility for me :(

I also got into Teacher's College and they offered a good (if not great) package, but I'm still holding out hope for HGSE. It would be pretty heart breaking to get in and not be able to go because of finances, but this is life sometimes. 

Teacher's College is wonderful, too. It has an excellent reputation. I hope you're able to come to HGSE though. Please keep us posted!! 

Friends, 

There had been some discussion about wanting "stats" of admitted applicants. Hope this is useful, feel free to DM me if I can help or answer questions.

Program: Ed.M. Education Leadership (Higher Education Pathway). 

GPA: 3.7 (BA), 4.0 (MA), 3.9 (PhD)

Work Experience: 8.5 years as a tenured professor at a small liberal arts college. My field is mass communication specifically, and media and communication studies more generally. 

Relevant Topics: I completed two professional education courses last summer through HGSE professional education (via Zoom), one on organizational change and one on strategic planning. Very helpful. Gave me a chance to imagine what this program might be like. 

SOP: I talked about family, life, work, aspirations toward leadership. I talked about how I loved that the program is being delivered online, because it allows me to stay in the academy and also do the program. I answered the questions very much on the nose. Simple, direct language. 

GRE: HA! No. (I took it about a dozen years ago, and did poorly. )

10 hours ago, MsKTeachesEnglish said:

I was also accepted to TC! Similarly, my package was so-so which makes me curious what HGSE will look like. So far the most impressive offer I've received has been from UMich but I really don't want to discard HGSE either...

Here's to hoping we hear positive news soon!

4 hours ago, ShowBellsandWhistles said:

Anyone know if the fellowships have already been awarded? To both the US and the Zaentz programs and not very optimistic about how competitive I might be in either case.

So anxious about financial aid! 

I don't think the Scholarship decisions have gone out. Everyone who applies gets an email. At least for US, i'm sure. I got the rejection mail last year. It came 10 days after admissions decision. Hopefully it takes less than 10 days this time around.

3 hours ago, caxiatec said:

I don't think the Scholarship decisions have gone out. Everyone who applies gets an email. At least for US, i'm sure. I got the rejection mail last year. It came 10 days after admissions decision. Hopefully it takes less than 10 days this time around.

Well, at least we’ll get closure!

16 minutes ago, EducationHGSE said:

Did everyone get an email from a current HGSE student congratulating them on admission. I'm sure they're sent en masse, but it seemed nicely personal!

Yes! I spoke on the phone with the person who emailed me and it was awesome and so helpful. I actually do think they're sent personally! It's a really nice touch and the offer to speak on the phone is so helpful.

1 hour ago, McPerson said:

I found a link to HGSE Ed.M student outcomes and thought it might be helpful for people. I know that UPenn, Stanford, and TC have similar reports as well, and comparing HGSE's with other schools could be really useful. HGSE data: https://cso.gse.harvard.edu/edm-student-plans-reports

This is very helpful, thank you!

Argh the wait for fin aid is so tough :(

it feels like being offered a really delicious slice of cake that you get to stare at and think about every day without knowing if you can actually afford to buy and eat it ??

hopefully decisions will be out soon. Last year, it seemed like fellowship folks found out about 5 days after admissions decisions, and fin aid was about 10 days later. 

So hoping we'll have Fin Aid by Mon or Tues and folks with fellowships will know by the end of this week. Wishing you all the best of luck! I'd love for this dream to come true. 

3 hours ago, MsKTeachesEnglish said:

Argh the wait for fin aid is so tough :(

it feels like being offered a really delicious slice of cake that you get to stare at and think about every day without knowing if you can actually afford to buy and eat it ??

hopefully decisions will be out soon. Last year, it seemed like fellowship folks found out about 5 days after admissions decisions, and fin aid was about 10 days later. 

So hoping we'll have Fin Aid by Mon or Tues and folks with fellowships will know by the end of this week. Wishing you all the best of luck! I'd love for this dream to come true. 

This is so accurate. I'm not letting myself get too attached because I'm anticipating getting little to no support.

Anyone hear about fellowships yet?