HGSE 2022

TabTurbo

It was tremendously helpful going through past threads and huge congrats to those enrolling in HGSE for Fall 2021! Thought it's not too early to start the new thread for those interested in applying for HGSE Fall 2022. ? 

To get us started I've summarized a few helpful resources/links, I'll update with the latest info as they become available.

HGSE Basic Info

Admission Stats

HGSE Publications

Thanks for getting this started, @TabTurbo! I'm really excited to apply this time around!

I posted a couple of questions I have on the HGSE 2021 thread, but I'll add them here too if anyone has any thoughts.

I'm planning to apply to different Learning/Instructional technology programs this next year, and wanted to ask folks some questions here if that is okay.

1. How can I make myself stand out best when applying to the LDIT program here at HGSE? If anyone that was accepted to the LDIT program is willing to chat with me, that would be amazing!

2. So far I'm planning to apply to Harvard and Teacher's College. Any other places you all think would be good places to consider? I'm willing to move anywhere in the US.

Good luck everyone!

Hello, everyone! And thank you, @TabTurbo for starting this new thread!

Is there anyone else applying for the PhD in education this year? Also, I wonder how the acceptance rate varies between the masters and the doctoral programs. I did my masters at HGSE in an earlier year, but it would be an absolute dream to be able to go back and study there again, even though I know there are far fewer openings for PhD. ?

11 hours ago, DogeCoin said:

Thanks for getting this started, @TabTurbo! I'm really excited to apply this time around!

I posted a couple of questions I have on the HGSE 2021 thread, but I'll add them here too if anyone has any thoughts.

I'm planning to apply to different Learning/Instructional technology programs this next year, and wanted to ask folks some questions here if that is okay.

1. How can I make myself stand out best when applying to the LDIT program here at HGSE? If anyone that was accepted to the LDIT program is willing to chat with me, that would be amazing!

2. So far I'm planning to apply to Harvard and Teacher's College. Any other places you all think would be good places to consider? I'm willing to move anywhere in the US.

Good luck everyone!

To your Q2, I think you can also look into Stanford's Learning Design and Technology (MS) within their graduate school of education. The program attracts students interested in EdTech/start-up given its proximity to Silicon Valley and has historically been even more selective than HGSE I believe.

Also, if you apply to Stanford LDT this year, note they are not accepting GRE from any applicant (indicated by "GRE Not Required"). They explained that this is different from "GRE Optional" for some programs, which allow but not require GRE submission.

8 hours ago, AnnieRUok said:

Hi everyone!

Planning to apply again at HGSE. I was accepted this last year, but had some personal stuff happen and not able to start this fall. Really want to be there, and was so sad to it wasn't possible right now (and petition wasn't accepted to defer). Hoping for the best this time around!

Glad to have you back on journey with us as a veteran! Can you share more on the deferral petition? I'm also foreseeing potential visa/personal issue preventing me to enroll F22 but wonder if they'd grant deferral or allow part-time attendance. Have you seen any success?

3 hours ago, TabTurbo said:

Glad to have you back on journey with us as a veteran! Can you share more on the deferral petition? I'm also foreseeing potential visa/personal issue preventing me to enroll F22 but wonder if they'd grant deferral or allow part-time attendance. Have you seen any success?

Sure! You let the admissions office know you'd like to petition for a deferral. They have you basically write a letter discussing your situation and what has changed that makes it impossible for you to enroll now, but able to enroll the next year. Mine was a health issue with a family member. They said when I petitioned that deferrals are rarely accepted, but I don't know how rare they are exactly. Hope this helps, @TabTurbo!

4 hours ago, TabTurbo said:

To your Q2, I think you can also look into Stanford's Learning Design and Technology (MS) within their graduate school of education. The program attracts students interested in EdTech/start-up given its proximity to Silicon Valley and has historically been even more selective than HGSE I believe.

Also, if you apply to Stanford LDT this year, note they are not accepting GRE from any applicant (indicated by "GRE Not Required"). They explained that this is different from "GRE Optional" for some programs, which allow but not require GRE submission.

Thanks you for this information! I will definitely look at the program at Stanford. Very interesting they aren't even accepting the GRE at all, maybe that will become a long-term change there.

19 hours ago, AnnieRUok said:

Sure! You let the admissions office know you'd like to petition for a deferral. They have you basically write a letter discussing your situation and what has changed that makes it impossible for you to enroll now, but able to enroll the next year. Mine was a health issue with a family member. They said when I petitioned that deferrals are rarely accepted, but I don't know how rare they are exactly. Hope this helps, @TabTurbo!

Very helpful, thank you @AnnieRUok. All the best on your application this go around!

Hi all! Happy to see this thread start up. I've been lurking for a while on gradcafe, but I feel ready to take the plunge and commit to applying to grad school for next year. HGSE is at the top of my list right now, though I'm nervous since everyone seems REALLY qualified! But I will be brave and see what happens. Wishing everyone good luck as we all apply! ?

Hello all!

Looking forward to applying this year. Very nervous, but HGSE has always been my dream. I can agree with @sunshine_and_rainbows, when reading the forums from previous years, everyone seems to have had such unique experiences prior to applying. It's quite daunting, but I am confident we all have something special to offer.

Wishing you all the best of luck! :)

Edited by Scotts123

On 7/5/2021 at 4:05 PM, Scotts123 said:

Hello all!

Looking forward to applying this year. Very nervous, but HGSE has always been my dream. I can agree with @sunshine_and_rainbows, when reading the forums from previous years, everyone seems to have had such unique experiences prior to applying. It's quite daunting, but I am confident we all have something special to offer.

Wishing you all the best of luck! :)

Yes! I love this, @Scotts123! We all definitely have something special to offer. Going to do my best to be positive here. Wishing you the best of luck too! ? 

Upcoming Admission Events in case anyone's interested in registering ?

Online Ed.M. Information Session TUESDAY, JULY 13, 2021, 12 – 1PM

This webinar will feature an Admissions representative presenting information on the online Ed.M. in Education Leadership program and the admissions process. The presentation will also include time for questions.

General Information Session WEDNESDAY, JULY 21, 2021, 12 – 1PM

This webinar will feature an Admissions representative presenting information on HGSE degree programs and the admissions process. The presentation will also include time for questions.

Edited by TabTurbo

On 6/28/2021 at 4:54 PM, HiEdHopeful said:

Hello everyone. Really excited for you all to be applying. I applied and was accepted this last cycle, and am happy to answer any questions people may have. Be brave, be yourself, and best of luck as you apply!

Echoing this. Good luck to all of you as you apply! I'm also here to answer any questions I can, and if you'd rather PM me instead of posting here in the room, feel free to reach out. 

On 7/8/2021 at 11:25 AM, TabTurbo said:

This webinar will feature an Admissions representative presenting information on the online Ed.M. in Education Leadership program and the admissions process. The presentation will also include time for questions.

This webinar will feature an Admissions representative presenting information on HGSE degree programs and the admissions process. The presentation will also include time for questions.

Thank you for posting and sharing this, @TabTurbo

Edited by DogeCoin

On 6/22/2021 at 4:49 PM, TabTurbo said:

It was tremendously helpful going through past threads and huge congrats to those enrolling in HGSE for Fall 2021! Thought it's not too early to start the new thread for those interested in applying for HGSE Fall 2022. ? 

To get us started I've summarized a few helpful resources/links, I'll update with the latest info as they become available.

HGSE Basic Info

Admission Stats

HGSE Publications

Appreciate the shout out, @TabTurbo. Happy to help out folks as best I can! I recently finished putting in all the 2021 data I could find, so it is "complete" .

This community is amazing, and so helpful when going through this process! Lean on each other and help each other is the best advice I can give. Feel free to message me if you want to and I'm happy to talk with any of you about anything!

Good luck, no matter where the journey takes you!

Hey everyone! The session that was supposed to be yesterday got moved to next week. Same day and time, just a week later. I think you can still sign up for it if you want.

On 7/22/2021 at 4:20 PM, DogeCoin said:

Hey everyone! The session that was supposed to be yesterday got moved to next week. Same day and time, just a week later. I think you can still sign up for it if you want.

Really want to recommend hopping on one of these if you can. They really were helpful for me last time around! If you can't make this one, they have similar online information sessions up until applications are due.

Edited by AnnieRUok

On 7/22/2021 at 4:20 PM, DogeCoin said:

On 7/24/2021 at 12:39 PM, AnnieRUok said:

Really want to recommend hopping on one of these if you can. They really were helpful for me last time around! If you can't make this one, they have similar online information sessions up until applications are due.

Thank you both for sharing this!

Hi friends! For those who missed the session, I believe the recording will be posted on the Recorded Webinar page soon. But in the meantime, I captured some Q&A in case anyone is interested:

Select Q&A from July 28 General Info Session

Q: Are need-based grants available for international students?
A: International students are eligible for need-based grants. 

Q: How's the tuition fee for international students?
A: Tuition is the same regardless of citizenship.

Q: If we don't send GRE scores, will our application be considered less?
A: The score will be considered if it’s submitted, but applications will not be considered less without GRE for the EdM program. Applicants should make the personal decision and consider whether submitting the GRE will strengthen the application, or whether the rest of the applications adequately demonstrate candidacy. 

Q: As a prospective Ed.M. student, am I disadvantaged for having an intended niche that isn't quite covered by one of the concentrations?
A: Concentration is not a must as long as your interest is covered by one of the programs.

Q: Is the application deadline the same for both the online and the residential Ed.M. program?
A: Yes

Q: Do you accept transfer credits from other doctoral programs for the Ed program?
A: No, we do not accept transfer credits

Q: Does my application need to be submitted ahead of the deadline so that my recommenders have time to write and meet the deadline too?
A: No. Applicants can designate recommenders in the online portal prior to deadline while working on the application.

Q: Are admissions for the Ed.M. program rolling? Is there any advantage to applying as soon as applications open rather than closer to the deadline?
A: No. Applications are not reviewed until after the Jan 15, 2022 deadline.

Q: I graduated 15 years ago - are three professional letters of recommendation acceptable?
A: Yes. Recommenders should still discuss transferable skills and analytical capabilities of the candidates.

Q: For the ELOE program, do you need a minimum number of years of experience?
A: No. It’s more important that the candidate feels it’s the right time and articulate in application.

Q: How many candidates are typically admitted into the PH.D program per cohort?
A: There’s a hard limit of 25 seats and typically 25 offers are made, sometimes a few more.

Q: I completed my bachelor's degree from an institution at which English was the sole language of instruction but my native language is not English. Do I need to take up IELTS?
A: No if the bachelor’s degree is from an institution at which English is the sole language of instruction.

Q: When does the Ed.M academic year begin? Just want to clarify because I remembered hearing you say that the foundational courses are done in June/July
A: Foundational courses are online courses.

Q: Is there any benefit to submitting the PhD application ahead of the December 1st deadline or will all applications be looked at at the same time?
A: Applications are reviewed all at the same time.

Q: Can you apply for 2 masters programs (1 residential and online)
A: No. Applicants can only submit one application per program level.

Q: I am a criminologist and I wish to work towards improving the quality of police officers through training design and curriculum development. Would my background without education in “education” make me eligible for EdM?
A: Education experience or prior training is not required, but applicants should have a desire in education. Admission will be interested in hearing about how the applicant plans to use the strength of the experience and apply to the study.

Q: In previous years, I believe some EdLD applicants have been invited to interview in February. Will that be happening again?
A: Yes. TBD whether it will be in-person or virtual.

Q: Does the foundation course count towards the 42 credit hours?
A: Yes.

On 7/28/2021 at 3:06 PM, TabTurbo said:

Hi friends! For those who missed the session, I believe the recording will be posted on the Recorded Webinar page soon. But in the meantime, I captured some Q&A in case anyone is interested:

Select Q&A from July 28 General Info Session

Q: Are need-based grants available for international students?
A: International students are eligible for need-based grants. 

Q: How's the tuition fee for international students?
A: Tuition is the same regardless of citizenship.

Q: If we don't send GRE scores, will our application be considered less?
A: The score will be considered if it’s submitted, but applications will not be considered less without GRE for the EdM program. Applicants should make the personal decision and consider whether submitting the GRE will strengthen the application, or whether the rest of the applications adequately demonstrate candidacy. 

Q: As a prospective Ed.M. student, am I disadvantaged for having an intended niche that isn't quite covered by one of the concentrations?
A: Concentration is not a must as long as your interest is covered by one of the programs.

Q: Is the application deadline the same for both the online and the residential Ed.M. program?
A: Yes

Q: Do you accept transfer credits from other doctoral programs for the Ed program?
A: No, we do not accept transfer credits

Q: Does my application need to be submitted ahead of the deadline so that my recommenders have time to write and meet the deadline too?
A: No. Applicants can designate recommenders in the online portal prior to deadline while working on the application.

Q: Are admissions for the Ed.M. program rolling? Is there any advantage to applying as soon as applications open rather than closer to the deadline?
A: No. Applications are not reviewed until after the Jan 15, 2022 deadline.

Q: I graduated 15 years ago - are three professional letters of recommendation acceptable?
A: Yes. Recommenders should still discuss transferable skills and analytical capabilities of the candidates.

Q: For the ELOE program, do you need a minimum number of years of experience?
A: No. It’s more important that the candidate feels it’s the right time and articulate in application.

Q: How many candidates are typically admitted into the PH.D program per cohort?
A: There’s a hard limit of 25 seats and typically 25 offers are made, sometimes a few more.

Q: I completed my bachelor's degree from an institution at which English was the sole language of instruction but my native language is not English. Do I need to take up IELTS?
A: No if the bachelor’s degree is from an institution at which English is the sole language of instruction.

Q: When does the Ed.M academic year begin? Just want to clarify because I remembered hearing you say that the foundational courses are done in June/July
A: Foundational courses are online courses.

Q: Is there any benefit to submitting the PhD application ahead of the December 1st deadline or will all applications be looked at at the same time?
A: Applications are reviewed all at the same time.

Q: Can you apply for 2 masters programs (1 residential and online)
A: No. Applicants can only submit one application per program level.

Q: I am a criminologist and I wish to work towards improving the quality of police officers through training design and curriculum development. Would my background without education in “education” make me eligible for EdM?
A: Education experience or prior training is not required, but applicants should have a desire in education. Admission will be interested in hearing about how the applicant plans to use the strength of the experience and apply to the study.

Q: In previous years, I believe some EdLD applicants have been invited to interview in February. Will that be happening again?
A: Yes. TBD whether it will be in-person or virtual.

Q: Does the foundation course count towards the 42 credit hours?
A: Yes.

Thank you for sharing this, @TabTurbo! I was so sad I missed it, and all your info here is very helpful!