HGSE 2022

TabTurbo

21 hours ago, Woo.edu said:

Knock, Knock. Is the forum in hibernation? Where is everybody?

I think we are all expecting to hear back from HGSE. ?

In the meantime, let me introduce myself. 

• Program: PhD EPPE
  • GRE Score: V161, Q166, AWA: 4.0 
  • GPA: 3.3 undergrad / 3.7 master's
  • LORs: strong letters: former boss, master's advisor, and co-author (2 of them were indicated by Apolitical as the 100 most influential academics in 2021)
  • Work Experience: 15 years working with public policy within government and NGO
  • Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): top (in my country) undergrad, top (in my country) master's
  • Research Experience: 10+ years (including multiple program evaluations), many publications, but rather local journals, reports and book chapters
  • What Other Schools Are You Applying To: UPenn (invited to candidate weekend), UConn (accepted), Stanford, JHU, Columbia, NYU, UMich, Pardee RAND

1 hour ago, Miss Evidence said:

There was one interview reported on the results page. Anyone who is here? Do you guys know if they send all the interview invitations on the same day? In other words, is there still hope for the ones who did not hear anything yet?

I didn't see that and so would you mind screenshooting for us? As far as I know, the invitation should be sent around 21th.

1 hour ago, PhDPolicy2022 said:

Okay so interviews for CIS applicants have started going out... I thought only EPPE ones went out till now. Do let us know how your interview goes, and share tips (if any)!! All the best :)

Also, did any international student get an invite for UPenn doctoral weekend? 

I am an international student who got an invite for UPenn's doctoral weekend. Very happy about it! 

So sad I did not get an interview to HGSE EPPE. I had a strong specific interest in faculty there.   

Apart from this HGSE disappointment, the cycle is going rather well. So far (in addition to UPenn) I got an acceptance from UConn, interviews from Stanford and Johns Hopkins. Still waiting for Columbia, NYU, UMich and Pardee RAND. 

Good luck to all of us! 

1 hour ago, Miss Evidence said:

I am an international student who got an invite for UPenn's doctoral weekend. Very happy about it! 

So sad I did not get an interview to HGSE EPPE. I had a strong specific interest in faculty there.   

Apart from this HGSE disappointment, the cycle is going rather well. So far (in addition to UPenn) I got an acceptance from UConn, interviews from Stanford and Johns Hopkins. Still waiting for Columbia, NYU, UMich and Pardee RAND. 

Good luck to all of us! 

Same here, but we should wait till end of the week. The HGSE is the only school I applied this year.

14 hours ago, ShowBellsandWhistles said:

Ed. M. applicant here. Did everyone get a request to complete their financial aid form today? Seems strange that they would ask for that much information on every prospective student. 

Also Ed. M. applicant, I got the email but was wondering the same thing

On 1/21/2022 at 6:58 PM, PhDPolicy2022 said:

Okay so interviews for CIS applicants have started going out... I thought only EPPE ones went out till now. Do let us know how your interview goes, and share tips (if any)!! All the best :)

Also, did any international student get an invite for UPenn doctoral weekend? 

Are interviews only for PhD/doctoral applicants?

There's no way they have the time or resources to interview the Master's applicants, right?

Hi all, congrats to those of you who have received invitations for interviews! 

I was wondering if you have to be invited for an interview (for Ph.D. applicants) to gain admittance to HGSE. I didn’t see anything on the HGSE website that said an interview was a necessary component of admissions process. 

Thanks and good luck to all! 

12 hours ago, EduandPsyGradCafe said:

Hi all, congrats to those of you who have received invitations for interviews! 

I was wondering if you have to be invited for an interview (for Ph.D. applicants) to gain admittance to HGSE. I didn’t see anything on the HGSE website that said an interview was a necessary component of admissions process. 

Thanks and good luck to all! 

Aah, HGSE definitely said that interviews are a necessary component of admissions process.

"Once all applications have been reviewed, HGSE will invite selected Ph.D. applicants for a required online interview with members of the admissions committee. Interview dates will be in January, with precise dates to be determined." (Link: https://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions/apply/phd)

Even I didn't receive an invite.. safe to say that we can prepare for the worst now! :(

(but congratulations to all who did get an invite :) )

On 1/17/2022 at 9:38 AM, Miss Evidence said:

I think we are all expecting to hear back from HGSE. ?

In the meantime, let me introduce myself. 

• Program: PhD EPPE
  • GRE Score: V161, Q166, AWA: 4.0 
  • GPA: 3.3 undergrad / 3.7 master's
  • LORs: strong letters: former boss, master's advisor, and co-author (2 of them were indicated by Apolitical as the 100 most influential academics in 2021)
  • Work Experience: 15 years working with public policy within government and NGO
  • Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): top (in my country) undergrad, top (in my country) master's
  • Research Experience: 10+ years (including multiple program evaluations), many publications, but rather local journals, reports and book chapters
  • What Other Schools Are You Applying To: UPenn (invited to candidate weekend), UConn (accepted), Stanford, JHU, Columbia, NYU, UMich, Pardee RAND

Wow your stats are really impressive. Do you have any tips for someone like me to one day have similar qualifications. Nice undergraduate GPA. What did you do to get such high GRE scores. Are you just naturally brilliant or did you have a good study technique. Mine is currently at a 302 AWA: 5.5, but I am straight out of undergraduate schooling at DBU (Dallas Baptist University). My parents told me that I'm stupid (I got a AWA 5.5) and to give up on my Harvard dreams but I wanted to look for people like you for advice. Thanks and much love in advance for your help! 

4 hours ago, John M. Smith the Baptist said:

Wow your stats are really impressive. Do you have any tips for someone like me to one day have similar qualifications. Nice undergraduate GPA. What did you do to get such high GRE scores. Are you just naturally brilliant or did you have a good study technique. Mine is currently at a 302 AWA: 5.5, but I am straight out of undergraduate schooling at DBU (Dallas Baptist University). My parents told me that I'm stupid (I got a AWA 5.5) and to give up on my Harvard dreams but I wanted to look for people like you for advice. Thanks and much love in advance for your help! 

This is very kind of you. Concerning the GRE, I signed Magoosh and took a test last year but my results were way lower (159Q; 153V; 3.5AW). So I studied harder, I did all the exercises of the Manhattan 5lb, all the exercises contained in different ETS materials, many mocking tests, and I signed TTP. This took all my evenings, weekends and vacation time. In addition, I did meditation and mindfulness sessions so that I could calm my nerves during the test and transfer my training results to the actual test. Don't believe your parents. Someone who scored 5.5 on AW cannot be stupid. Don't give up your dreams. I applied last cycle and I was rejected by all programs. This time, not only I substantially improved my GRE scores but I also took a lot of time and care to work on my Statement of Purpose. I mentioned faculty and specific courses from each program I applied to. I don't think I will be accepted at HGSE (since I was not invited to an interview), but I am very happy with the results I obtained so far. Good luck!

Hello all!

I completed my Financial Aid application today, and I was wondering if it was only 1 page that we needed to complete. my computer glitched out and it said my application was submitted, but I had refreshed my screen and I don't know if the application was more than one page.

Let me know! 

On 2/7/2022 at 12:05 PM, Scotts123 said:

Hello all!

I completed my Financial Aid application today, and I was wondering if it was only 1 page that we needed to complete. my computer glitched out and it said my application was submitted, but I had refreshed my screen and I don't know if the application was more than one page.

Let me know! 

As far as I recall, it was only one page and absurdly short.

Good luck!