2022 Fall PhD applications - international students

darklings

On 12/31/2021 at 7:57 AM, pls_take_me said:

Hey guys,

I guess going into the application cycle I didn't know that admissions chances for international students were that much more difficult. What are your experiences on this?

You just have to play your cards right and put in some extra effort as well. As someone mentioned above, don't apply to programs that have very little acceptance rates. It's just not the worth the time and money. Stanford BMI has very low acceptance of international students as an example. Spread out your choices as well and reach out to professors. At the end, as long as you get into a well-funded program, your research during your PhD will define your career trajectory. The name of the school itself will not be as important.

9 hours ago, tokyoboy101 said:

You just have to play your cards right and put in some extra effort as well. As someone mentioned above, don't apply to programs that have very little acceptance rates. It's just not the worth the time and money. Stanford BMI has very low acceptance of international students as an example. Spread out your choices as well and reach out to professors. At the end, as long as you get into a well-funded program, your research during your PhD will define your career trajectory. The name of the school itself will not be as important.

Stanford has admission rates of 3% or lower across all bioscience programs (domestic and local together), so I didn't dare imagine the acceptance rates for internationals 

Edited by mothgirl

I wish I had found this forum sooner. 

I applied to 4 PhD programs

Yale - BBS Immunology
Harvard - BBS Immunology
Brown - Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, and Biochemistry
Rockefeller - Biosciences

Profile:
International Student (Brazil)
Undergrad: Biomedicine - 6,61/10 
2,5 Years part-time research experience (microbiology/Immunology)
2 Years part-time tutoring experience
MS: Tropical Medicine and Infectious Diseases - 9,06/10
(Prety name for Immunology and Parasitology)
2 Years Full-time Research Experience

2 Publieshed Papers (peer reviewed) as Co-Author
3 Poster Presentations
4 Lectures given in Regional Scientific Events
4 Short Courses given in Regional/National Scientific Events

TOEFL iBT: 101 (W: 22/L: 29/S: 23/R: 27)

Already got the rejection letter from Rockefeller :(

Good Luck for everyone still waiting o/