2022 Fall PhD applications - international students

darklings

On 10/20/2021 at 1:42 PM, escriva73 said:

Hello!

I'm trying to get into the following:

1. Harvard - BOTH BBS and Viro
  2. Princeton - Mol Bio (still on the fence about this one)
  3. UWash - Mol Med & Mech of Diseases  (M3D)
  4. George Washington U - Micro-Immuno
  5. UHouston - Biochem
  6. Purdue - Med Chem
  7. U Rochester (not sure yet)
  8. UT San Antonio

Profile, I guess:

Educ: Biochem undergrad, 2.7 GPA (not looking good huh), currently in another grad school 3.0 GPA but won't finish. both top Unis in the Philippines

Research experience: 2 years on diff field but w/ 2 publications, first author on one. Co-author on a book w/ national award. oral presentation, too.

4 years teaching experience in 2 of top unis here. 

Other points of consideration: Filipino, queer. planning to specialize in studying HIV (im PLHIV so that can probably be an asset when writing the SoP???)

Thoughts? Advice? Any recommendations of other programs? Thanks!

Hi!!

My programs are:

Gerstner Sloan Kettering

Harvard - BBS

MIT - Biology

Icahn Mount Sinai - Biomedical

Albert Einstein - Biomedical

Northwestern - Driskill Life Sciences

Rutgers - Molecular biology, genetics and cancer

UIC - GEMS

All submitted on Nov 26

My profile is:

International female, BSc in Molecular Biology, MSc in Cellular and molecular medicine

Fulbright Scholar

1,5 year undergrad, ongoing master's research at second year

1 pre-print, 1 poster presentation at international congress

Edited by cemreucaryilmaz

On 11/29/2021 at 1:53 PM, cemreucaryilmaz said:

Hi!!

My programs are:

Gerstner Sloan Kettering

Harvard - BBS

MIT - Biology

Icahn Mount Sinai - Biomedical

Albert Einstein - Biomedical

Northwestern - Driskill Life Sciences

Rutgers - Molecular biology, genetics and cancer

UIC - GEMS

All submitted on Nov 26

My profile is:

International female, BSc in Molecular Biology, MSc in Cellular and molecular medicine

Fulbright Scholar

1,5 year undergrad, ongoing master's research at second year

1 pre-print, 1 poster presentation at international congress

GSK is a pretty good program. Best of luck!

What's up guys! International graduate here from a non-US college and I applied to biomedical science programs and just 1 neuroscience program early in November! Surprised to see how the 2022 application cycle forums are really quiet though. I applied to:
1. Harvard BBS and BPH

2. Yale BBS

3. Princeton MB

4. Stanford Biosciences

5. Weill Cornnell Neuroscience

I applied to only heavy-hitting programs which was very very stupid in hindsight. There were certain personal factors at hand that caused me to only apply to the programs above. Doing my best to internalize that I may realistically receive no interview offers or acceptance haha.

11 hours ago, hsjkim said:

What's up guys! International graduate here from a non-US college and I applied to biomedical science programs and just 1 neuroscience program early in November! Surprised to see how the 2022 application cycle forums are really quiet though. I applied to:
1. Harvard BBS and BPH

2. Yale BBS

3. Princeton MB

4. Stanford Biosciences

5. Weill Cornnell Neuroscience

I applied to only heavy-hitting programs which was very very stupid in hindsight. There were certain personal factors at hand that caused me to only apply to the programs above. Doing my best to internalize that I may realistically receive no interview offers or acceptance haha.

What's your profile?

22 minutes ago, QWERTYMNB97 said:

What's your profile?

School: 4 year liberal arts school with a major in life sciences
GPA: 3.71 major gpa something like 3.95?
Research:

1. 2 years biochem of aging lab (main lab i worked in)

2. 1 year in a genetics lab, 2 in a computational bio lab, 1 in a virology lab

Pubs: 2 co-authored papers from the biochem lab and comp bio lab groups, best thesis award in major but not sure how much that matters haha

Work experience: Health econs internships at 2 major big pharma companies, RA at a biotech company focused on monoclonal antibody treatment for flaviviruses, currently finishing up my military service requirements-such a treat

GRE: 168Q, 166V, 6.0 W

I’m really interested in aging and neurodegeneration research!

Edited by hsjkim
Deleted wording

On 12/1/2021 at 11:51 PM, biomed69 said:

applied to 19 programs as international applicant with no US degree. Those are -

1. harvard Viro

2. UTSW

3. Duke Micro

4. UNC Chapel Hill BBSP

5. Dartmouth Molecular cell biology

6. Albert Einstein

7. Weill Cornell Medicine

8. U of R

9. Notre Dame

10. Michigan State 

11. UAB Birmingham

12. UT Health San Antonio

13. U Miami

14. WSU
15. UNMC

16. Tulane

17. Upstate

18. U at Buffalo

already received rejection from case western on 22 November. Hopefully someone offers me an invitation. lol

When did you apply to case western? 

3 hours ago, hsjkim said:

School: 4 year liberal arts school with a major in life sciences
GPA: 3.71 major gpa something like 3.95?
Research:

1. 2 years biochem of aging lab (main lab i worked in)

2. 1 year in a genetics lab, 2 in a computational bio lab, 1 in a virology lab

Pubs: 2 co-authored papers from the biochem lab and comp bio lab groups, best thesis award in major but not sure how much that matters haha

Work experience: Health econs internships at 2 major big pharma companies, RA at a biotech company focused on monoclonal antibody treatment for flaviviruses, currently finishing up my military service requirements-such a treat

GRE: 168Q, 166V, 6.0 W

I’m really interested in aging and neurodegeneration research!

oh lol you def can get into at least one of the programs

9 hours ago, darklings said:

oh lol you def can get into at least one of the programs

Oh no no not at all. I'm heading into this admissions process with very low expectations given how competitive PhD programs are in general, yet alone for international students.

2 hours ago, halfstrengthKarnovsky said:

Did anyone NOT receive an invite for secondary application from UTSW today?

I received and already submitted. Do they send invitation to each and every applicant? I had goosebumps when i saw the mail and then later realized they might be sending it to each applicant. lol

Asking here since the other forums are very quiet. Do you guys think as many people as last year have applied to this year's cycle? Last year's application numbers were absolutely insane and the resulting admissions rates tanked since way too many people applied. I had friends in Stanford working under PIs for a couple of years who couldn't even land interviews given the flood of applications that came in. 

7 hours ago, cemreucaryilmaz said:

Hi everyone, is there anyone who received any news from the applications? ?

Nope nothing here yet! From my list, seems like Yale has historically been the first school to reach out sometime in December but not sure whether this cycle’s schedule has changed from covid.

15 minutes ago, hsjkim said:

Nope nothing here yet! From my list, seems like Yale has historically been the first school to reach out sometime in December but not sure whether this cycle’s schedule has changed from covid.

According to the results section, I saw that my programs usully sent invites for interviews around Dec 20 or within the first week of January... 

14 hours ago, hsjkim said:

Asking here since the other forums are very quiet. Do you guys think as many people as last year have applied to this year's cycle? Last year's application numbers were absolutely insane and the resulting admissions rates tanked since way too many people applied. I had friends in Stanford working under PIs for a couple of years who couldn't even land interviews given the flood of applications that came in. 

Its true. Last year was crazy. I guess this year not many has applied - at least from this forum and other groups/forums elsewhere.