2022 Fall PhD applications - international students

darklings

On 10/13/2021 at 2:03 AM, Paul-BSW said:

I guess we are in it together. I have submitted 1 application, still researching other schools and programs. You? 

My mind is changing pretty fast lol, I reached out to a PI of interest and we scheduled a zoom meeting next week, and I think I am going to submit the application for this program which is due in November.
And yeah I am also researching other schools and programs ;) 

17 minutes ago, darklings said:

My mind is changing pretty fast lol, I reached out to a PI of interest and we scheduled a zoom meeting next week, and I think I am going to submit the application for this program which is due in November.
And yeah I am also researching other schools and programs ;) 

Go ahead and apply.✌️ I have submitted another application 2 days ago. I am also waiting on some schools to waive the application fee. ?

23 minutes ago, darklings said:

@mothgirl have you ever considered doing PhD in UK since you graduated from Oxford which makes you have more chances to get into local programs?

Well, I have but not strongly. I am deliberately looking for programs that doesn't just align with my areas of interests but also those that offer all funding without separate applications, and I don't think such is common in the UK.

1 hour ago, darklings said:

@mothgirl have you ever considered doing PhD in UK since you graduated from Oxford which makes you have more chances to get into local programs?

have considered, very hard to find funding in the UK for international students. I believe the deadlines are also later in the year, I will look into it, thanks for the reminder. 

16 hours ago, mothgirl said:

have considered, very hard to find funding in the UK for international students. I believe the deadlines are also later in the year, I will look into it, thanks for the reminder. 

can look into those affiliated in Wellcome Trust (I don't know if they still exist but the Sanger program's still there), also EMBL in Germany, UK, Spain..., or directly ask some labs for funded positions (?)

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2021 at 2:00 PM, darklings said:

Hey there, I am an international student who is going to apply for 2022 PhD programs. Anyone else also preparing? We can go through it together

Fall 22 applicant here!

No other thread for 2022 applicants yet? Quite surprising!

On 10/20/2021 at 6:42 AM, escriva73 said:

Hello!

I'm trying to get into the following:

1. Harvard - BOTH BBS and Viro
  2. Princeton - Mol Bio (still on the fence about this one)
  3. UWash - Mol Med & Mech of Diseases  (M3D)
  4. George Washington U - Micro-Immuno
  5. UHouston - Biochem
  6. Purdue - Med Chem
  7. U Rochester (not sure yet)
  8. UT San Antonio

Profile, I guess:

Educ: Biochem undergrad, 2.7 GPA (not looking good huh), currently in another grad school 3.0 GPA but won't finish. both top Unis in the Philippines

Research experience: 2 years on diff field but w/ 2 publications, first author on one. Co-author on a book w/ national award. oral presentation, too.

4 years teaching experience in 2 of top unis here. 

Other points of consideration: Filipino, queer. planning to specialize in studying HIV (im PLHIV so that can probably be an asset when writing the SoP???)

Thoughts? Advice? Any recommendations of other programs? Thanks!

Harvard BBS applicant here!

Almost done with my statements, submitted 1 of 11 applications. Schools I'm applying to :

Stanford Biology, Harvard OEB, Duke Nicholas, UCSB EEMB, UCLA EEB, Brown EEOB, UW Seattle Biology, UMN EEB, Princeton EEB, Columbia EEB, Rutgers EEB

2 minutes ago, QWERTYMNB97 said:

I applied 2 weeks back. How about you?

Just finalized my SoP. a PI from one of the unis I was applying to was nice enough to offer to make comments on it and I know I cannot pass that up. Might submit in a daw or two, just settling stuff with one of my letter writers (they're not so techie, that's why)

Just now, escriva73 said:

Just finalized my SoP. a PI from one of the unis I was applying to was nice enough to offer to make comments on it and I know I cannot pass that up. Might submit in a daw or two, just settling stuff with one of my letter writers (they're not so techie, that's why)

Cool! That's good.

Hello all! I am applying for the immunology program in the US and have finished all the applications. Could you please tell me how to prepare for the possible interviews? I don't know what else I should put in except for the research. And I have no idea what kind of questions they will ask.....It seems that interviews for international applicants will be scheduled online.....

On 11/24/2021 at 8:09 PM, TangentTam said:

Hello all! I am applying for the immunology program in the US and have finished all the applications. Could you please tell me how to prepare for the possible interviews? I don't know what else I should put in except for the research. And I have no idea what kind of questions they will ask.....It seems that interviews for international applicants will be scheduled online.....

Some schools' interviews will be hybrid (zoom + onsite visiting) For interview at least prepare for explaining your previous projects + behavioral questions