2022 Fall PhD applications - international students

darklings

1 hour ago, hte123 said:

May I ask how to know whether they have received the WES or not? The portal doesn't show it. If they have received, will they send notification?

Portals like the CAS system should send you an email notification if your transcripts were received. In any case, best to just email the admissions offices to double check. 

3 hours ago, hsjkim said:

Portals like the CAS system should send you an email notification if your transcripts were received. In any case, best to just email the admissions offices to double check. 

Exactly. One of the programs using that kind of system required WES transcript but they didn't send me the application confirmation though it shows 'submitted'. I sent an email to the admission office asking about the transcript and my application, then was told that my transcript has not been added to my application because the names are not exactly matched... 
So better double check the TOEFL GRE WES are all verified through their systems or emails

Hi guys! I am also an international student :)

I applied last year directly from undergraduate to two programs but not even get invited to the interviews. This year my profile upgraded a little bit (published 2 first-author publications, plus 1 co-author), do you think now I have any chance?

I applied to Northwestern DGP, Scripps, UMich, UNC BBSP

Last year experience was pretty disappointing and this is why I am really anxious right now.

I figured out that many of you applied to 5 schools and more, so now I am afraid that I have high chance of rejection :( 

21 hours ago, dreamer14 said:

Hi guys! I am also an international student :)

I applied last year directly from undergraduate to two programs but not even get invited to the interviews. This year my profile upgraded a little bit (published 2 first-author publications, plus 1 co-author), do you think now I have any chance?

I applied to Northwestern DGP, Scripps, UMich, UNC BBSP

Last year experience was pretty disappointing and this is why I am really anxious right now.

I figured out that many of you applied to 5 schools and more, so now I am afraid that I have high chance of rejection :( 

I am Applying for the first time and i applied to more than 15 schools ? At least 5-6 applications out of sheer panic

Hi everyone,

International student with MS in molecular and cell biology from US + 2.5 years work experience so far. 

Here’s the programs I applied to

UC Davis - Biochemistry, Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology

UPenn - Cell and Molecular Biology
UT Austin - Cellular and Molecular Biology
UC Irvine - Cellular and Molecular Biosciences
UNC-Chapel Hill - Biological and Biomedical Sciences 
Boston University - Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, and Biochemistry

Rutgers University, New Brunswick - Molecular Biosciences
Baylor College of Medicine - Genetics, and Genomics

Got an email from Baylor asking me whether I’ll be in the US (and available to interview in-person) sometime between Jan and March. This email was on Nov 18, before my last recommendation letters was submitted and they said it was a ‘preliminary review of applications’ 

hoping to hear from them (and other schools) soon. This is nerve-wrecking! 

Good luck everyone! ? 

Edited by hp0809

1 hour ago, hp0809 said:

Hi everyone,

International student with MS in molecular and cell biology from US + 2.5 years work experience so far. 

Got an email from Baylor asking me whether I’ll be in the US (and available to interview in-person) sometime between Jan and March. This email was on Nov 18, before my last recommendation letters was submitted and they said it was a ‘preliminary review of applications’ 

Good luck everyone! ? 

That sounds promising! Good luck! What's your profile like? 

21 hours ago, biomed69 said:

I am Applying for the first time and i applied to more than 15 schools ? At least 5-6 applications out of sheer panic

well I think at least it is a good method to del with anxiety, mine is exploding ?

what programs did you apply to?

9 hours ago, shuaizh117 said:

That sounds promising! Good luck! What's your profile like? 

4 year Bachelor’s in biotechnology (not from US)

1 year MS in molecular and cell biology from Brandeis University, GPA 3.6; lots of research work here

worked at Brandeis after graduating for 1.5 years. Been working at a start up company in flagship pioneering for almost an year now. 
2 LoRs from Brandeis faculty, 1 from supervisor at current company - all of them know me very well, so should be strong! 

No publications but I’m hoping my research experience makes up for that. 

15 hours ago, hp0809 said:

Hi everyone,

Good luck everyone! ? 

I also did Baylor's Genetics & Genomics, but no updates so far xD 

6 minutes ago, hp0809 said:

Just got my first interview invite from Rutgers University, New Brunswick - Molecular Biosciences program.

interview dates are Jan 28 and Feb 11. 

anyone else applied to the same program here? 

Congrats!

27 minutes ago, hp0809 said:

They said they will send our official interview invites end of Dec or beginning of Jan. I also submitted my application very early - Oct 10

hang in there! 

I saw some invites in the result page... but let's wait and see

International student 

Applied to molecular and cellular biology at:

1. University of Connecticut 

2. Virginia Tech 

3. UAB Birmingham 

4. University of Utah 

5. Van Andel institute 

6. Irnell and Manella graduate school

Attended non-US colleges 

Undergraduate Medicine: 3.77 

Masters in medical Biochemistry: 3.73 

1 co-authored publication

3 years research experience

6 years working experience as a medical doctor.

2LORs from graduate research advisors. 1 LOR from faculty.

No GRE 

What are my chances?

Edited by BkGh

On 12/7/2021 at 7:01 AM, hsjkim said:

Asking here since the other forums are very quiet. Do you guys think as many people as last year have applied to this year's cycle? Last year's application numbers were absolutely insane and the resulting admissions rates tanked since way too many people applied. I had friends in Stanford working under PIs for a couple of years who couldn't even land interviews given the flood of applications that came in. 

I'm also seconding this question which also popped up in my head. My personal opinion is- yes- there are comparatively less applicants this year than the previous year. Program Director of some middle ranked universities even reached out to me whom I emailed in October. 

53 minutes ago, Global Ambassador said:

I'm also seconding this question which also popped up in my head. My personal opinion is- yes- there are comparatively less applicants this year than the previous year. Program Director of some middle ranked universities even reached out to me whom I emailed in October. 

I just received an email from UTSW: 

We recieved more than 840 applications from International candidates and more than 500 have moved to this review phase. We anticipate that any invitations to interview will NOT go out until at least after January 1, but more likely around mid-January.  

It's just a lot harder than I thought it would be?

Edited by medlrf

1 hour ago, medlrf said:

We recieved more than 840 applications from International candidates and more than 500 have moved to this review phase. We anticipate that any invitations to interview will NOT go out until at least after January 1, but more likely around mid-January.  

That's still a pretty good yield rate in terms of interview invites assuming that all 500 or so prospective candidates will be reviewed in the coming phase.

2 hours ago, Global Ambassador said:

I feel like it's the other way around for top schools

8 hours ago, darklings said:

I feel like it's the other way around for top schools

Yes, I agree and there shouldn't any doubt about this..
Two middle- ranked PH in Epi program emailed me within last two weeks to apply for their program after 2/3 months after I emailed them :O when they realized they are not getting enough application. 

9 hours ago, medlrf said:

omg!!! seriously.. ?!? Yeah, I can see now the reasoning and there are reason for the surge of international applicants. 

On 12/13/2021 at 6:34 AM, cemreucaryilmaz said:

Guys, I received an email from a professor in the admission committee of Rutgers University MBGC track!! They say that they want to have a zoom meeting with me during the week of Dec 20th. Super excited!!

Woohoo!!! Congrats :D