Jump to content

2022 Fall PhD applications - international students


Recommended Posts

On 8/19/2021 at 12:43 AM, anthro_eco said:

I'm applying in EEB, how about yourself?

I am applying for comp bio/bioinformatics.
I am currently doing a master in the US, as of now i have nothing to show from my master, and the results from things I am doing are just like shits.  i am stressed with everything...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I'm pretty stressed as well, have been told by the profs in the US I have been emailing that I have a very strong track record but it just isn't working out with as many people I'd like to, many have said they don't have funding for internationals or they already are in touch with a domestic student so my chances are low but I should still apply given my profile. I'm going through a rough patch financially so I'll have to be careful where I apply to. I do have a professor who seems to be interested in me at Wisconsin-Madison so I hope that zoom call with him goes well. I'm a final year master student from India by the way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, anthro_eco said:

Yeah I'm pretty stressed as well, have been told by the profs in the US I have been emailing that I have a very strong track record but it just isn't working out with as many people I'd like to, many have said they don't have funding for internationals or they already are in touch with a domestic student so my chances are low but I should still apply given my profile. I'm going through a rough patch financially so I'll have to be careful where I apply to. I do have a professor who seems to be interested in me at Wisconsin-Madison so I hope that zoom call with him goes well. I'm a final year master student from India by the way. 

Good luck to your call! Are those professors you get in touch in weak committee determined programs? 

I am gonna reach out some PIs and program directors maybe

Edited by darklings
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, darklings said:

Good luck to your call! Are those professors you get in touch in weak committee determined programs? 

I am gonna reach out some PIs and program directors maybe

Thanks!

I don't know how I should evaluate whether the programs have weak committees but in EEB generally you have to line up an advisor before you apply, otherwise you just won't get in no matter how good you are. 

It somehow skipped my mind that the semester hasn't started in the US so most PIs are either away on vacation or working in the field, I've slowly been getting more replies and got two more zoom invites from UCSB and UMich. I will probably E-Mail the rest of the PIs in mid-Sept when the would definitely be in office and wouldn't have to reply to academic emails from their phones.

Edited by anthro_eco
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all! I am also applying for the Fall 2022 PhD program, mostly molecular/cell biology or cancer programs! I am an international student with a US Bachelor's degree.

May I know if you guys email most of the P.I. that you are interested in? I have not emailed anyone, will it help with my chance of admission?

Edited by onechailatte
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2021 at 11:30 PM, darklings said:

Hey there, I am an international student who is going to apply for 2022 PhD programs. Anyone else also preparing? We can go through it together

I guess we are in it together. I have submitted 1 application, still researching other schools and programs. You? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all :) I'm applying too.

If anyone viewing this thread has applied before, I
 need help with evaluating my profile. I'm not sure if I'm a competitive enough applicant for the schools I'm applying for.

Schools applying for: UCSF, Scripps, UC Davis, UCSB

Undergrad: University of Oxford, MBiochem (master of biochemistry, 4 year undergraduate masters), marks 62% (low end of upper second, a first class is 70%) - Yes you only need 70% to get the top grade in a UK university

Research experience: Molecular biophysics - 6 months in a lab doing my masters research, wrote up an 8000 word dissertation.. and one 2 month internship in 2nd year of which i remember absolutely nothing except that i read harry potter during breaks in between experiments.

Interested in: virology, immunology, cancer biology 

Type of student: International, LGBT, chinese singaporean, female
Irrelevant but interesting: I've lived in both Wales and Boston before

I have limited research experience. Do you think my profile is unsuitable for the unis I've applied? What other places could I consider to lower my risk of being rejected?
Could people help me proofread my CV and statement of purpose? 

Thanks in advance :)) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2021 at 1:28 AM, noname99 said:

Hi i am also applying for PhD progams in cell biology/regenerative therapy.I am an international student with a master degree in virology.Can you guys help me select unis and with my application?

Are you relying on funding from the university? Here are some unis that fully fund international students for PhD in biosciences:
I put their acceptance rates in (%)

Duke - 9% (int’l)

Cornell - 20% (all)

Harvard - 17% (all)

UChicago - 18% (all)

Scripps - 22% (all)

Washington St Louis - 20% (all)

UCSF - 9% (all)

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mothgirl said:

Hi all :) I'm applying too.

If anyone viewing this thread has applied before, I
 need help with evaluating my profile. I'm not sure if I'm a competitive enough applicant for the schools I'm applying for.

Schools applying for: UCSF, Scripps, UC Davis, UCSB

Undergrad: University of Oxford, MBiochem (master of biochemistry, 4 year undergraduate masters), marks 62% (low end of upper second, a first class is 70%) - Yes you only need 70% to get the top grade in a UK university

Research experience: Molecular biophysics - 6 months in a lab doing my masters research, wrote up an 8000 word dissertation.. and one 2 month internship in 2nd year of which i remember absolutely nothing except that i read harry potter during breaks in between experiments.

Interested in: virology, immunology, cancer biology 

Type of student: International, LGBT, chinese singaporean, female
Irrelevant but interesting: I've lived in both Wales and Boston before

I have limited research experience. Do you think my profile is unsuitable for the unis I've applied? What other places could I consider to lower my risk of being rejected?
Could people help me proofread my CV and statement of purpose? 

Thanks in advance :)) 

Any publications? Abstracts? Conferences? What about your reference letters? 

At least I would apply more broadly rather than just four programs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, shuaizh117 said:

Any publications? Abstracts? Conferences? What about your reference letters? 

At least I would apply more broadly rather than just four programs.

Sadly no publications. Reference letters: one from my PI, one from my tutor who hasn't observed me in a research context but taught me for four years."

I've changed my list to lower-risk unis: UCSB, UCI, Scripps, one program in Germany, and one in Singapore. Your thoughts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thayane Henriques said:

Hy everyone! I am also applying for the Fall 2022 PhD program. My area is Communication/ Media Studies. I am from Brazil. Already very stresses with the whole process, which is very different from my country's process

Hi hi - I think you are in the wrong section of the grad forum. This is the biological sciences section...

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mothgirl said:

Sadly no publications. Reference letters: one from my PI, one from my tutor who hasn't observed me in a research context but taught me for four years."

I've changed my list to lower-risk unis: UCSB, UCI, Scripps, one program in Germany, and one in Singapore. Your thoughts?

I'm not familiar with programs not in the US, but I would definitely apply way more broadly than just four or five programs unless you have somewhere you are confident you would get an offer from or at least an interview.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mothgirl said:

Sadly no publications. Reference letters: one from my PI, one from my tutor who hasn't observed me in a research context but taught me for four years."

I've changed my list to lower-risk unis: UCSB, UCI, Scripps, one program in Germany, and one in Singapore. Your thoughts?

HI @mothgirl, I am an international student also interested in the program in Singapore, Do you know if their graduate programs are fully funded for international students, their acceptance rate for international students?

 

Thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello!

I'm trying to get into the following:

  1. Harvard - BOTH BBS and Viro
  2. Princeton - Mol Bio (still on the fence about this one)
  3. UWash - Mol Med & Mech of Diseases  (M3D)
  4. George Washington U - Micro-Immuno
  5. UHouston - Biochem
  6. Purdue - Med Chem
  7. U Rochester (not sure yet)
  8. UT San Antonio

Profile, I guess:

Educ: Biochem undergrad, 2.7 GPA (not looking good huh), currently in another grad school 3.0 GPA but won't finish. both top Unis in the Philippines

Research experience: 2 years on diff field but w/ 2 publications, first author on one. Co-author on a book w/ national award. oral presentation, too.

4 years teaching experience in 2 of top unis here. 

Other points of consideration: Filipino, queer. planning to specialize in studying HIV (im PLHIV so that can probably be an asset when writing the SoP???)

 

Thoughts? Advice? Any recommendations of other programs? Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, shuaizh117 said:

I'm not familiar with programs not in the US, but I would definitely apply way more broadly than just four or five programs unless you have somewhere you are confident you would get an offer from or at least an interview.

Thanks! Will do. Have expanded my list to include 4-5 more German PhD programs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lesdormis said:

HI @mothgirl, I am an international student also interested in the program in Singapore, Do you know if their graduate programs are fully funded for international students, their acceptance rate for international students?

 

Thanks 

Hi! I don't know the acceptance rates but they do sponsor international students for some programs.

The stipend given to international students is lower than it is for locals, but it's liveable.

For NUS, check out this page: https://nusgs.nus.edu.sg/scholarships/

For Duke-NUS, google the Integrated biology and medicine program.

 

Good luck!

Edited by mothgirl
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mothgirl said:

Hi! I don't know the acceptance rates but they do sponsor international students for some programs.

The stipend given to international students is lower than it is for locals, but it's liveable.

For NUS, check out this page: https://nusgs.nus.edu.sg/scholarships/

For Duke-NUS, google the Integrated biology and medicine program.

 

Good luck!

Thanks for the info! And good luck to your applications too!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.