Creative Writing MFA--Where Should I Be Applying?

lysander.unc

I'm going to be applying to Creative Writing MFA programs this fall. I currently have a list of six fully funded programs (I am not in a position to afford grad school tuition, or to go into significant debt) and I am looking for some guidance as to whether my list is a reasonable one. I know that most of the schools listed are highly competitive, and I would really appreciate some insight on some less competitive schools (which I understand is a big ask, since I am looking for full funding). Here are the schools I have listed currently:

• Boston University
  • Brown University
  • Florida State University
  • University of Iowa
  • Johns Hopkins University
  • North Carolina State University

I know the most important part of my application is my writing sample, but if it's helpful at all in evaluating where I might be competitive, here is a brief profile of me as an applicant: 

I am a current college senior, and would be going into the program straight out of undergrad. When I apply to these programs I will be 19. (I got an AS in highschool and was able to do my BA in two years. I am concerned that my age will be an issue when I am evaluated against more experienced applicants.)

My BA is from UNC Chapel Hill; I am double majoring in English and Comparative Literature (Creative Writing concentration) and Linguistics.

My GRE scores are 164 Verbal (94th percentile), 148 Math (32nd percentile), 4.5 Analytical Writing (80th percentile). My current undergraduate GPA is 3.79, with a 4.0 GPA within the English major. 

I have had one short story published in an undergraduate literary magazine.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, congrats on graduating early and on your publication! You sound really cool. I also applied right out of undergrad and didn’t get in. I heard from professors that people almost NEVER get in right away because the programs like to see that you can write on your own without needing school deadlines and prompts. in general, mfas have a lot of free time to write and it is really up to you to motivate yourself. They also know people who are afraid to graduate might just want to use a masters as a safety bubble before having to work full time. Either way, if they find someone who is really good but is a senior in college, they might just decline them because they figure they will be even better in a year and will be more emotionally ready. 
There is a blog called the mfayears where people talk about their experiences. This one guy talks about graduating early and then going to Iowa. It can be really hard for some people to adjust when everyone is older or they just see it as another year or so of school. Older applicants with kids and such seem to really appreciate the time they get through the program and use it to their advantage the most. 
There are also some really great interviews online for uiowa on tips for your application and questions about age. I would look at those. 
good luck! It could definitely happen! But know that as a rule most programs prefer to see people after they have been working so that they know they can motivate themselves to write independently. 
https://youtu.be/fP91bdaJ-G0

https://youtu.be/rI0M3zbdRvM

www.readtheworkshop.com

On 8/29/2021 at 10:52 AM, lysander.unc said:

I'm going to be applying to Creative Writing MFA programs this fall. I currently have a list of six fully funded programs (I am not in a position to afford grad school tuition, or to go into significant debt) and I am looking for some guidance as to whether my list is a reasonable one. I know that most of the schools listed are highly competitive, and I would really appreciate some insight on some less competitive schools (which I understand is a big ask, since I am looking for full funding). Here are the schools I have listed currently:

• Boston University
  • Brown University
  • Florida State University
  • University of Iowa
  • Johns Hopkins University
  • North Carolina State University

I think you've got a great list there. There are different takes on this, but I personally do't go for less competitive schools. I can't afford to take out loans, and pretty much all of the well-funded schools are going to be very competitive. You'll see people tout lesser-known programs, and some of those programs look really cool, but the funding is just too low to make it worth it. My personal opinion is to stick with the competitive schools and add as many as you can afford to apply to. 

As far as how competitive you'll be, you've got all the on-paper tangibles down, so it's really just going to come down to that writing sample, as everyone says. Just need the right ADCOM members to see something in you that they want.

• 1 month later...

I think you'd be better off in applying to schools that you could see yourself living in that are harder to get into, rather than schools that are "easier" to get into.

You can obtain a fee waiver from WashU by emailing graduateschool@wustl.edu and answering their questions.
If you're interested in Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State or Wisconsin, you can fill out the Big Ten Academic Alliance form https://www-s.cic.net/programs/FreeApp/archive/RequestForm/FreeAppRequest/application.asp and see if you get a fee waiver from any of them (this might take a few days).

I think you have a good mix of programs otherwise. Brown and Iowa are both great programs but are nearly opposite of each other. Brown (and Alabama) are considered close because both are experimental. Iowa is considered more "traditional" and "literary".

Most schools no longer care about GRE scores. I think most don't even require them anymore.

• Warelin changed the title to Reading by Visiting Hurst Professor Jerald Walker
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 12:25 PM, Leida said:

If you're interested in Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State or Wisconsin, you can fill out the Big Ten Academic Alliance form https://www-s.cic.net/programs/FreeApp/archive/RequestForm/FreeAppRequest/application.asp and see if you get a fee waiver from any of them (this might take a few days).

Hi! One question, is this only for USA students, or can international students try this out too?