On 10/12/2021 at 6:00 PM, wug#2 said:

Current UofT student here! I know how scary this process can be, so please DM me with any questions you may have. 

Hello! I graduated from UofT Psych and have a sub-gpa of 3.75.. I was wondering if I have a chance to get into UofT with that gpa? 

3 hours ago, SLPtime said:

Hey guys im confused... I got a emails saying McMaster interview invitations are sent out on March 8, 2022? People already got them? 

Yes they always say some date in March but actually send them out in the 2nd/3rd week of February. Unfortunately with a 3.75 subGPA you likely did not get an interview, the cut off this year seems to be around 3.84 or 3.85 :(

Hey everyone! Last year I was rejected from every school I applied to and I knew I wanted to apply in Canada again but I didn't know what to do while I waited until the 2022 application cycle. I accidentally found Minot State University, and it's a school in North Dakota (USA) that offers super cheap tuition (like - basically the same price as many Canadian schools) and they offer a Post-Baccalaureate in Communication Sciences and Disorders, which I'm currently doing. Basically it's a one-year program that provides you with sooo much clinical experience, they have an on-campus CSD clinic, and all of your profs are practicing SLPs and audiologists. Also, with the completion of the program you're offered admission into their 2 year SLP program. So basically, I'm reapplying to Canadian schools this year, but if I don't get into a school in Canada, I have this SLP program as a backup (AND it's literally the same price as if I were to go to a Canadian school!).  Another great thing is that there are so many Canadian students in the program too. Definitely would recommend checking the program out if you're interested, or you can DM me if you want more info :)

Also looool reading this back it sounds like an ad, but I swear it isn't! I just really like the program haha

Edited by ewdavid

Hi! I’m wondering if any current students/past applicants would be able to offer insight into sGPAs with a realistic chance for U of T?

My sGPA is a 3.6-something, and I seem to keep reading anything under a 3.7 is iffy. I did a STEM-related degree at a “top-10” American university and the grading system was a bit different than some Canadian unis (e.g., only 93%+ counted as an A, lowest B+ was an 88%, etc.).

I also have a master’s degree in a related field, a ton of research and volunteer experience, and multiple publications to my name, but from what I’m reading in previous years, I’m worried that my sGPA will be my downfall (which is really sad because I finished undergrad yeaaars ago and I used to think I had a pretty decent GPA in the US ugh). 

I would appreciate any “real talk” — I’m switching career fields to pursue my ultimate dream of being an SLP after finally becoming a Canadian PR, and the SLP admissions process in Canada seems much more competitive than it is in the US, especially with GPAs!

Hello again friends!

Wondering if anyone else is in the same boat with McMaster applications? I have a sGPA of 3.87 (had to harass ORPAS to update my grades as they were recorded incorrectly initially, got updated finally on Feb 14th) and have not received any emails about an interview or waitlist... I am assuming this may be because I am currently completing a pre-req? Though part of me wonders if this is not the case and that my grade was updated too late and that's why I didn't make the cut-off initially?

Does anyone know if McMaster does not accept people because of the fact they have a pre-req in progress, regardless of a sGPA above 3.85?

Sincerely, a hopeful but also defeated applicant.

Hi Cloto SLP! I received an interview at McMaster with a 3.97 sGPA. I am currently completing the pre-requisite course for the human anatomy/physiology requirement so having a pre-requisite in progress should not affect whether one gets an interview or not; they know that some people are taking pre-requisites for their program both this semester and during the summer. If I were you, I would check your junk mail to make sure you didn't receive anything and if not then definitely call the school. Good luck :)

7 hours ago, cloto SLP said:

Hello again friends!

Wondering if anyone else is in the same boat with McMaster applications? I have a sGPA of 3.87 (had to harass ORPAS to update my grades as they were recorded incorrectly initially, got updated finally on Feb 14th) and have not received any emails about an interview or waitlist... I am assuming this may be because I am currently completing a pre-req? Though part of me wonders if this is not the case and that my grade was updated too late and that's why I didn't make the cut-off initially?

Does anyone know if McMaster does not accept people because of the fact they have a pre-req in progress, regardless of a sGPA above 3.85?

Sincerely, a hopeful but also defeated applicant.

I think they might be sending all responses out March 8th, I already received an interview at 3.94 sGPA, but some have lower sGPA's. Just hang in there, maybe they've only invited like first round that they've gone through. If you didn't get an interview they'll tell you - I was rejected last year. I don't think the pre-req is a huge determinant unless they can only accept so many interviews and you're tied with someone who has already completed it. But I really wouldn't think that would be a huge factor.

20 hours ago, ewdavid said:

Hey everyone! Last year I was rejected from every school I applied to and I knew I wanted to apply in Canada again but I didn't know what to do while I waited until the 2022 application cycle. I accidentally found Minot State University, and it's a school in North Dakota (USA) that offers super cheap tuition (like - basically the same price as many Canadian schools) and they offer a Post-Baccalaureate in Communication Sciences and Disorders, which I'm currently doing. Basically it's a one-year program that provides you with sooo much clinical experience, they have an on-campus CSD clinic, and all of your profs are practicing SLPs and audiologists. Also, with the completion of the program you're offered admission into their 2 year SLP program. So basically, I'm reapplying to Canadian schools this year, but if I don't get into a school in Canada, I have this SLP program as a backup (AND it's literally the same price as if I were to go to a Canadian school!).  Another great thing is that there are so many Canadian students in the program too. Definitely would recommend checking the program out if you're interested, or you can DM me if you want more info :)

Also looool reading this back it sounds like an ad, but I swear it isn't! I just really like the program haha

I did the same thing, except with ENMU. Combining my prerequisites I had already completed for the U of A, I'm scheduled to finish my Bachelors in CDIS by July (so under 1 full year with only 3 classes per semester). It was superbly affordable, and I received my Provisional Acceptance into their Masters for this Fall already. Still hoping to get into the U of A of course, but it's nice to have a plan B already in place ?Congrats to you as well! ?

14 hours ago, SLPEventually said:

I think they might be sending all responses out March 8th, I already received an interview at 3.94 sGPA, but some have lower sGPA's. Just hang in there, maybe they've only invited like first round that they've gone through. If you didn't get an interview they'll tell you - I was rejected last year. I don't think the pre-req is a huge determinant unless they can only accept so many interviews and you're tied with someone who has already completed it. But I really wouldn't think that would be a huge factor.

I checked in with McMaster (3 calls and 2 emails later) turns out they made a mistake! They received my lower sGPA that was not updated yet, so it took me out of the running. McMaster said that ORPAS was way late updating it so they did not receive the correct sGPA... Either way, they assessed me at my correct sGPA and I got an interview! I am so glad I followed up with the school, thank you everyone for your kind words and encouragement!!!!!

Goodluck to all my fellow MMI people, and to everyone else in their applications!

1 hour ago, cloto SLP said:

I checked in with McMaster (3 calls and 2 emails later) turns out they made a mistake! They received my lower sGPA that was not updated yet, so it took me out of the running. McMaster said that ORPAS was way late updating it so they did not receive the correct sGPA... Either way, they assessed me at my correct sGPA and I got an interview! I am so glad I followed up with the school, thank you everyone for your kind words and encouragement!!!!!

Goodluck to all my fellow MMI people, and to everyone else in their applications!

Omg that's awesome! Good for you for following up!

13 hours ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

I did the same thing, except with ENMU. Combining my prerequisites I had already completed for the U of A, I'm scheduled to finish my Bachelors in CDIS by July (so under 1 full year with only 3 classes per semester). It was superbly affordable, and I received my Provisional Acceptance into their Masters for this Fall already. Still hoping to get into the U of A of course, but it's nice to have a plan B already in place ?Congrats to you as well! ?

That's amazing! Congratulations to you too! 

Hey guys,

Super in advance/I don't even know if I'll get in, but I'm just curious. I currently have 2 cats (sweetest little things on the planet) and if I get into SLP I will definitely be taking them with me. Again, just out of curiosity, I'd like to rent with others to save $$$, but am worried nobody will want to live with cats. Any thoughts/people who know they wouldn't mind?

2 hours ago, SLPplease3 said:

Hey guys,

Super in advance/I don't even know if I'll get in, but I'm just curious. I currently have 2 cats (sweetest little things on the planet) and if I get into SLP I will definitely be taking them with me. Again, just out of curiosity, I'd like to rent with others to save $$$, but am worried nobody will want to live with cats. Any thoughts/people who know they wouldn't mind?

I feel like this may not be the deal breaker you think it is. Most people that I know (including my self) would be fine having a cat in the mix.

Hi everyone! Was wondering if anyone can help me. I got an interview to McMaster and have checked-in for both components of the interview. However, it says that I am have 50% complete for one check-in and 80% complete for the other. I thought that I have filled in all the requirements. Does anyone else have the same numbers as me? Is this normal that it doesn't say 100% complete for the check-in? Thank you in advance :)!

On 2/16/2022 at 9:33 PM, damaei said:

I still have not received a confirmation email from Dalhousie University. I just checked my online application and the status hasn't changed to "received". Should I contact them to see if there has been an issue with my application? Is anyone else on the same boat? 

Hi :) I applied to Dalhousie last year. Don't worry, they are super slow with their applications. They send out their responses all at different times. So if you see a  bunch of people on this website saying they got in or waitlisted, don't be discouraged. I didn't hear I got waitlisted for about 2 week later. Seems pretty random, but I had a theory it might be alphabetical (my last name starts with N). 

On 2/22/2022 at 5:14 PM, damaei said:

Hey! I just received my confirmation email. Please let me know when you receive urs too because I have a question I want to ask about it !! :)

I still have not heard back with a confirmation email :( I sent an email but an automated email was sent back..doesn't look like there is a number to call either