Hi everyone!

I'm so excited this thread is open! I'm a first time applicant applying to 4 schools this year: U of A, Western, Dalhousie, and McGill. I'm super anxious about applications this year but feeling confident. Any tips from people who have applied before?

6 hours ago, ManitobaSLPStudent said:

Hi everyone!

I'm so excited this thread is open! I'm a first time applicant applying to 4 schools this year: U of A, Western, Dalhousie, and McGill. I'm super anxious about applications this year but feeling confident. Any tips from people who have applied before?

Don't wait until last minute to start your application! Have at least 1 other person who will be honest with you review your statement of intent.

7 hours ago, Quote_Actual said:

Omg two people got off the waitlist for Western. Classes have already started, I cant believe theyre still going through the list!! I dont know what quandrant they were in though.

That’s crazy!! Is it normal to have open spots in a program this late?

On 9/4/2021 at 4:17 PM, ManitobaSLPStudent said:

Hi everyone!

I haven't gotten in to any schools (yet) but this will be my second time applying. I recommend giving yourself plenty of time to write your application and ask for reference letters. I personally feel like now is a good time to start!

If there's someone you want to ask for a reference letter but are hesitant, offer them material and info about you when you ask. You should have a resume, statement of intent, and previous course work available to review. It looks really good on you to be prepared!

Hi everyone! 

As a long time reader of the past years threads, I am so excited to finally be applying! This will be my first time applying and I plan on applying to U of T and Western. I am confident in my application but I am a little nervous because I have no research experience (i.e. Research assistant/working in a lab). I do however have 3 research courses under my belt and both my references will be from my research professors. Is anyone else applying with no research experience or knows anyone who has gotten accepted to either of these schools without research experience? 

Good luck to everyone and I am happy we can all support each other through this thread :)

On 9/20/2021 at 4:01 PM, 2022slpplease said:

Hi everyone! 

As a long time reader of the past years threads, I am so excited to finally be applying! This will be my first time applying and I plan on applying to U of T and Western. I am confident in my application but I am a little nervous because I have no research experience (i.e. Research assistant/working in a lab). I do however have 3 research courses under my belt and both my references will be from my research professors. Is anyone else applying with no research experience or knows anyone who has gotten accepted to either of these schools without research experience? 

Good luck to everyone and I am happy we can all support each other through this thread :)

Hey! Im a first year student at UofT and I had no research experience whatsoever! I literally only had the research methods and stats course as they were required but other then that, nothing at all! Do not stress too much as long as you have other areas that work for you because they don't expect research to be everyone's primary interest :)

On 9/4/2021 at 4:17 PM, ManitobaSLPStudent said:

Hi everyone!

Hello! First year UofT student here! My biggest tip would be to start planning early. Make a chart of some sort with all the requirements laid out for the different schools and get in touch with your references ASAP! Also, when writing your letter of intent, try spending time and jotting down all the points you think are important for them to know about you before you start writing your draft to help sort your ideas! Good luck :)

18 hours ago, thespeechdream said:

Hello! First year UofT student here! My biggest tip would be to start planning early. Make a chart of some sort with all the requirements laid out for the different schools and get in touch with your references ASAP! Also, when writing your letter of intent, try spending time and jotting down all the points you think are important for them to know about you before you start writing your draft to help sort your ideas! Good luck :)

Hi!

Would you be okay sharing your subGPA? I understand that research experience becomes more important the lower your subGPA is?

2 hours ago, SLP_Hope said:

Hi everyone! This is my first time applying, but I'm also not applying directly from my undergrad. I'm interested in UofT and Western!

I don't know if it's too early to ask, but I was wondering if anyone currently attending UofT would be willing to look at my statement of intent?

Hi!

It might be worth to go back in last year's thread and see if there's any UofT students that offered to help then and try that!

I had a question more directed to people applying for their second time/people already in the program. I noticed there are 2 sections for the UofT statement of intent: Section 1 being the actual letter and section 2 being a list of experiences with information about each. Is section 2 a new addition to the application or is this something I just missed many times in the past lol. Also are both sections something we copy and paste into ORPAS or do we upload as a pdf? 

18 hours ago, 2022slpplease said:

I had a question more directed to people applying for their second time/people already in the program. I noticed there are 2 sections for the UofT statement of intent: Section 1 being the actual letter and section 2 being a list of experiences with information about each. Is section 2 a new addition to the application or is this something I just missed many times in the past lol. Also are both sections something we copy and paste into ORPAS or do we upload as a pdf? 

I applied last year and this was there. It’s almost exactly the same as Western’s sections but UofT’s website describes it so weirdly. I remember being super confused before I actually saw the application lol. 

Both are things you’ll have to input directly, no PDF. You can copy and paste but you’ll likely have to play around with the formatting to get it to look right. 

Section 2 format is very similar to what job descriptions on a resume may look like. Beware though that the character count for describing the activities is pretty small. 

1 hour ago, SpeechieAlly said:

I applied last year and this was there. It’s almost exactly the same as Western’s sections but UofT’s website describes it so weirdly. I remember being super confused before I actually saw the application lol. 

Both are things you’ll have to input directly, no PDF. You can copy and paste but you’ll likely have to play around with the formatting to get it to look right. 

Section 2 format is very similar to what job descriptions on a resume may look like. Beware though that the character count for describing the activities is pretty small. 

Thank you so much for your response and the heads up on the character count on section 2! I had no idea and have just been typing so much to elaborate on each experience. Nice to know things may have to be condensed. I have over 10 volunteer experiences so kinda worried about how I’m gonna make this work with a word count lol

22 minutes ago, 2022slpplease said:

Thank you so much for your response and the heads up on the character count on section 2! I had no idea and have just been typing so much to elaborate on each experience. Nice to know things may have to be condensed. I have over 10 volunteer experiences so kinda worried about how I’m gonna make this work with a word count lol

Any time :) I'm on here a lot LOL

I can't remember if there's a limit to how many entries you can add so you may be able to keep all 10 +. But there's definitely a character limit to how much you can write about each! I found it helpful to keep a "master" version of all my application information in separate document and whittle away what's necessary depending on the school/application.

Writing my statement ended up being a major show of restraint ?

5 minutes ago, SpeechieAlly said:

Any time :) I'm on here a lot LOL

I can't remember if there's a limit to how many entries you can add so you may be able to keep all 10 +. But there's definitely a character limit to how much you can write about each! I found it helpful to keep a "master" version of all my application information in separate document and whittle away what's necessary depending on the school/application.

Writing my statement ended up being a major show of restraint ?

LOL me too. I'm just so excited to apply. 

I hope thats the case and I can keep all of them! I have started said, "master" document and have already edited and edited/changed my SOI about 500 times LOL.

I see that you're applying to all the schools I want to, do you have a preference / reasons for applying to each? I am still unsure if I will apply to McMaster but definitely will to UofT and Western and would love to hear other applicants reasons for choosing to apply to those schools. :) My top choice is UofT and kinda just applying to Western to not put all eggs in one basket but it seemed like last year Western was more difficult to get into.