On 10/29/2021 at 11:40 AM, Loki_Odinson said:

Hello Guys!!

I want to wish good luck to everyone applying this year!

I had a question in regards to UBC's SLP program. I am planning on taking AUDI 402 with them as an unclassified student to satisfy their anatomy prerequisite. I am currently enrolled at UBC as an unclassified student but cannot seem to enrol in the class. The class is not full (has 3 spots remaining) but it is unreleased (I also have no idea what this means). I have emailed many people and also left voicemails but have not heard back. If anyone here was or is currently enrolled in the class, how did you go about doing so? Any kind of help or information will be greatly appreciated!

Pav

I had this same issue, it was hard to get ahold of them. I think in the end it was the non.degree@ubc.ca email that got back to me. It took them 10 days to email me back. I think the open seats are reserved for students in a program requiring them, and you have to snag seats that are not reserved. I would recommend you check back routinely, especially closer to beginning of classes, as there is usually always someone dropping and freeing up seats. 

On 10/31/2021 at 12:03 PM, Loly694 said:

Hi Everyone?

This is my fourth year applying to SLP, so I am a bit of a pro at this now, haha. Here are my stats if you find that helpful. I'm an open book so let me know if you have questions. 

1st Application: Applied to UWO for SLP

• 3.3sGPA
  • 160 volunteer hours
  • Honours psychology degree
  • Waitlisted

2nd Application: Applied to UWO and McMaster for SLP. 

• 3.4sGPA
  • 266 volunteer hours
  • Waitlisted at UWO, rejected from McMaster without interview. 

3rd Application: Applied to UWO, McMaster, McGill, Dalhousie for SLP and UWO, Dalhousie, and Queens for OT. 

• 3.5sGPA
  • 550 volunteer hours
  • Post-graduate certificate in Autism and Behavioural Sciences. 
  • Rejected from UWO, McGill, Queens for all programs, and waitlisted at Dalhousie for SLP and OT. 

4th Application: Applying to UWO for SLP and Applied Behaviour Analysis. 

• 3.6sGPA
  • 686 volunteer hours
  • Hons. psych degree and post-grad certificate in autism 
  • Full-time instructor therapist (someone who does therapy with people who have autism)

My tips from experience 

1.  Apply to as many schools as possible. Don't put all your eggs in one basket like I did originally.
  2. The biggest thing I have learned is DO NOT TAKE IT PERSONALLY. I am 110% confident in my ability to succeed as an SLP. I have no doubts. And I am sure many of you would also be fantastic SLPs. But unfortunately, there are hundreds of other applicants that look even more fabulous on paper (Which is all the school sees) and they can only choose a handful of them. The school doesn't get to follow you around and see how amazing you are.  I know my sGPA is not as competitive as others, but there are factors that go into that, that I could write a whole book about explaining. But my sGPA does not reflect my work ethic or intelligence. A rejection does not mean that you aren't good enough. Genuinely. It is a problem with the system, not with you. I hope you take that to heart and stay positive??

Thank you for being so open about your experiences. Myself and I'm sure others on this forum find your tips incredibly helpful :) Honestly, there's so much that goes into how they assess applications and who gets admitted. I know it isn't the same but I remember talking to a friend about her applications to med school, and sometimes it's also just about luck and the specific cohort that applied that year. At times, it may not even be something wrong with one's application itself. It takes a lot of perseverance and tenacity to continue to strive for one's goals, especially when it comes to SLP. We'll all get there, even if it isn't at the pace we initially thought we would. 

16 hours ago, Wugs said:

I had this same issue, it was hard to get ahold of them. I think in the end it was the non.degree@ubc.ca email that got back to me. It took them 10 days to email me back. I think the open seats are reserved for students in a program requiring them, and you have to snag seats that are not reserved. I would recommend you check back routinely, especially closer to beginning of classes, as there is usually always someone dropping and freeing up seats. 

Thank you for getting back to me!

I have also emailed non.degree@ubc.ca and they told me that I had to contact the Audiology department directly. I am still waiting for a reply from the Audiology department so I shall see what happens. Other than that I check pretty much every day to see if I can reseter into the class. 

Thank you for this information though!!

Hi there, I've got a small Dalhousie Paper-Based Application Form Question. On page 2 it asks: "Have you ever applied to, attended or worked for Dalhousie University, University of King's College or the former TUNS? Yes or No. If yes, please provide your ID #"

So I applied to the SLP program last year, was rejected, and so did not receive an ID #. 

Question: Do I say Yes even though I have no ID#?

Thanks for any clarification on this small point. I don't know if this question is on the online application form too. 

4 hours ago, victoriaSLP said:

Hi everyone! Sorry if this has already been asked but does anyone know if the UofT statement of intent 3000 character limit includes spaces? Also how many characters do we get for the second section? Thanks!

The character count includes spaces. The second section is only 150 characters for the description I believe (You can go on ORPAS and check under the personal submission --> volunteer experience). Hope this helps! :)

Hi, 

Can anyone who studied abroad in university explain what exactly is supposed to be sent to WES from the foreign university and which package we're supposed to purchase on the WES website? There are like 6 different options and it goes up to 300+ dollars just to have one transcript translated... 

On 10/26/2021 at 8:20 AM, VanessaB said:

I’m currently completing my master’s degree in another area (school & clinical child psychology). I’ve wanted to be a psychologist for years now, but as I wrote my doctoral SSHRC funding application this fall I realized I’m very interested in language and literacy. I never thought I’d ever consider another masters, but a PhD in my current area of study is also a huge commitment, so I want to be sure. If I don’t get the SSHRC funding for my PhD, I’m considering pursuing SLP, but I need to gather more information and understand what a career in SLP is like. Can someone tell me…what are the reports like? What assessments do you learn and deliver? What do SLPs generally like and dislike about the job? Also, if I went the SLP route, I’m mainly interested in UAlberta as I’d still be close to “home” (Calgary). I’ve noticed the semesters are packed. Do you find you’re always studying? Right now my master’s program is 3 classes per term with a practicum most semesters. As well, we write a thesis. When I look at the SLP curriculum, it’s something like six classes a term, which is wild!! Are you experiencing burnout?!

Hi! I'm not an SLP, just a prospective one, but I find the SAC to be a good starting point to learn about the field

https://www.sac-oac.ca/

Maybe explore the website a bit :)

Hi Everyone,

Wishing everyone luck as they work through their applications :) I have reached out to my academic references but am stuck on who to choose for my professional. My work experience is working for 2.5 years as an office admin in a therapy clinic so I worked with 70 therapists (OT,PT, SW, SLP) and got to know each role/scope well for each discipline and the inner-workings of healthcare overall. My boss from this job wrote my reference letter last year and it was a very generous letter (2 pages) that I believe is strong - she is also an OT so she has a therapy background which I think is also important. My current job is a CDA at an Audiology clinic where I see up to 18 clients in a day, of all ages and work through hearing aid troubleshooting including using programming in Noah, and work alongside the Audiologist for pediatric assessments for kids 3 yrs and younger. I have been here for 6 months. 

With the professional letter being from a professional standpoint rather than clinical - do I keep my letter from my previous employer because the letter is strong, and she has known me longer or do I choose my current employer who can report on how I interact with clients every day and complete charting, scheduling, etc. ?

Thank you for advice in advance!!

20 minutes ago, SLP--2021 said:

Hi Everyone,

Wishing everyone luck as they work through their applications :) I have reached out to my academic references but am stuck on who to choose for my professional. My work experience is working for 2.5 years as an office admin in a therapy clinic so I worked with 70 therapists (OT,PT, SW, SLP) and got to know each role/scope well for each discipline and the inner-workings of healthcare overall. My boss from this job wrote my reference letter last year and it was a very generous letter (2 pages) that I believe is strong - she is also an OT so she has a therapy background which I think is also important. My current job is a CDA at an Audiology clinic where I see up to 18 clients in a day, of all ages and work through hearing aid troubleshooting including using programming in Noah, and work alongside the Audiologist for pediatric assessments for kids 3 yrs and younger. I have been here for 6 months. 

With the professional letter being from a professional standpoint rather than clinical - do I keep my letter from my previous employer because the letter is strong, and she has known me longer or do I choose my current employer who can report on how I interact with clients every day and complete charting, scheduling, etc. ?

Thank you for advice in advance!!

Depending on where you're applying you may not have to choose! Some schools allow you more than one professional reference letter. Do you mind sharing where you'll be applying?

Hi all! I had a question regarding Dalhousie's online application. Do we need our university to send our official transcripts via email, and have our CV and the Additional Information Form before clicking the submit button on our application? This application is different than the rest of the schools across Canada...

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! 

On 11/4/2021 at 9:23 PM, SpeechieAlly said:

Depending on where you're applying you may not have to choose! Some schools allow you more than one professional reference letter. Do you mind sharing where you'll be applying?

Hi! I didn't know some schools allow you to add more than one professional reference letter. It doesn't seem like there is an option when I looked through the application portal. Which schools allow this and how? Thanks!!! Wishing you the best while we all go through this year's cycle together! ?

Casper results in for anyone? This is first year they're releasing results. And any comments from those accepted in years past with what they think might have been less than stellar Casper results? And how much you think McGill and U of A pay attention to the Casper results?

1 hour ago, jec said:

Casper results in for anyone? This is first year they're releasing results. And any comments from those accepted in years past with what they think might have been less than stellar Casper results? And how much you think McGill and U of A pay attention to the Casper results?

This makes me super nervous for some reason ?

On 11/6/2021 at 4:11 AM, 2022slp said:

Hi! I didn't know some schools allow you to add more than one professional reference letter. It doesn't seem like there is an option when I looked through the application portal. Which schools allow this and how? Thanks!!! Wishing you the best while we all go through this year's cycle together! ?

You as well :)

Okay I'm very sorry, but I went searching again since you asked and I think I was misinformed. U of Alberta does say that can more than 2 academic references. Sorry to get your hopes up for nothing :(

Can anyone who's applied to U of A before help me understand the application?

Can you submit/pay for the application before you upload all the application components such as the resume, statement of career interest?

Can you take the CASPer after you submitted you're application?

22 hours ago, SpeechieAlly said:

Can anyone who's applied to U of A before help me understand the application?

Can you submit/pay for the application before you upload all the application components such as the resume, statement of career interest?

Can you take the CASPer after you submitted you're application?

1) Yes, you can submit and pay for the application and upload your resume and statement of career interest later. 

2) Yes, I'm pretty sure you can, just ensure the results will be in by the time it's due

3 hours ago, Wugs said:

1) Yes, you can submit and pay for the application and upload your resume and statement of career interest later. 

2) Yes, I'm pretty sure you can, just ensure the results will be in by the time it's due

Thanks for the help as always Wugs, much appreciated!

On 11/5/2021 at 3:04 PM, speechiestudent said:

Hi all! I had a question regarding Dalhousie's online application. Do we need our university to send our official transcripts via email, and have our CV and the Additional Information Form before clicking the submit button on our application? This application is different than the rest of the schools across Canada...

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! 

Nope! What I think I did was submit and pay and everything, and later sent in the documents. But also if you send documents before you submit your online form, thats fine too. 

I know right, I wish it was similar to ORPAS! Its a bit of a funny system ahaha

Does anybody know if U of A extended their application deadline? It seems to be February 1st now but it was January 15th before. Am I misunderstanding this?

On their website it says: Students can apply online until  11:59 pm February 1st. After that time, on-line applications will not be accepted for the SLP MSc program.

But then it also says:

Applicants must apply online, upload all required documents and make a nonrefundable payment of $135 by January 15th, 2022 to be considered for Fall 2022 Admission

Edited by SLPwonder

I figure one of you must have reached out to U of T about this, so I figured I would ask here rather than shooting them an email!

I have been volunteering under an slp and she will be writing me a letter of recommendation for some of my other schools. 

Should I have her send one to U of T even though a clinical reference isn't required this year? I'm having trouble understanding whether it isn't required or isn't considered or isn't permitted. 

21 hours ago, lologra said:

I figure one of you must have reached out to U of T about this, so I figured I would ask here rather than shooting them an email!

I have been volunteering under an slp and she will be writing me a letter of recommendation for some of my other schools. 

Should I have her send one to U of T even though a clinical reference isn't required this year? I'm having trouble understanding whether it isn't required or isn't considered or isn't permitted. 

U of T is not accepting a clinical reference this admission cycle nor anything in its place. Just the two academic references.