• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/23/2022 at 5:00 PM, superstarslp said:

I also got into the UofA! To be honest, I felt my application was just meh. There wasn't anything that really put me head and shoulders above the rest of the field. I thought I had done enough to get myself waitlisted, but I never imagined I would get accepted right away! With that said, here are my stats

Linguistics major, 3.6 sGPA, 3.0 cGPA. I started off in STEM, where the course difficulty and my lack of interest tanked my grades for a while. That was a huge source of concern for me, since GPA is the number one factor for most schools. 

1st quartile casper, which was my second area of concern. I thought that score would be a red flag to the admissions committee, and make them hesitant to accept me. 

Now onto the more positive stuff. 

Was an RA with the CSD department. This was probably the biggest strength of my application. I will say though that my role was minor, I just transcribed a whole bunch of backlogged data. I also took an independent studies class in where you work on one with a prof to learn more about their research. I didn't receive any undergrad research stipends, nor did I do an honours thesis. No presentations or publications either. 

Worked for a special needs organization in two of their programs. One of them was a program for adults with varying diagnoses, many of which were medically fragile. The other program was specifically for kids with FASD. 

There were a few more minor roles I put in my CV, but I don't think they influenced my application as much as the previous stuff. That's stuff like my customer service job and volunteering at the library.

So for anyone who's doubting themselves, please remember that you don't have to be a superhuman genius to get in. I think the UofA taking a more holistic approach to admissions really benefitted me. I talked a ton about EDI in my LOI, so I'm guessing they liked that. I'm so grateful for this opportunity, as I would've been rejected by McMaster for sure (and probably McGill b/c of cGPA + casper). Best of luck to those who are still waiting, and anybody who's applying in the future!

Edit: after posting I realized this is super rambly, so I've tried to trim things down a little 

Congrats !!!

I am looking to apply to u of a SLP program. I’ve been interested in RA opportunities in the CSD department at u of a, how did you get started ??

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone starting at U of T this September, where on campus are the classes taking place? There’s no info on ACORN or Quercus on where to go when school starts. Any help would be appreciated

6 hours ago, MHSCME said:

For anyone starting at U of T this September, where on campus are the classes taking place? There’s no info on ACORN or Quercus on where to go when school starts. Any help would be appreciated

Hey!  All classes will be at 500 University (rehab sciences building). 

It sounds like you're not in our fb group/chat yet, if you have Facebook feel free to join the group and ask to be added to the group chat: https://facebook.com/groups/525461565667529/

Otherwise see you soon! 

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone still reading, can you please give me some words of wisdom about the “3000” characters on the U of T letter of intent? At first I read 3000 words, but then read “characters”. Omg, how do you fit it all in!?!?! Thanks!!!! 

Edited by Snick

On 8/28/2022 at 7:16 PM, Snick said:

For anyone still reading, can you please give me some words of wisdom about the “3000” characters on the U of T letter of intent? At first I read 3000 words, but then read “characters”. Omg, how do you fit it all in!?!?! Thanks!!!! 

dmed you

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, speechbean said:

I have decided to apply to all the Canadian schools this year. I have seen in the past that GRE scores were required for Alberta and Dalhousie. 

I believe they are no longer required - is this correct?

correct! says so on both school websites :)

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2022 at 4:16 PM, SLPam said:

Hey everyone!

My name is Pam. I just found this site after googling for info about SLP in Canada. I wish I knew this existed sooner!

I applied to McGill, Western, U of T and Dalhousie this cycle and got waitlisted for McGill and U of T, rejected from Western and offered an admission to Dal! So that’s where I’ll be going in September. 

This was my first year applying, I’m just about to graduate from my BA in Linguistics. If anyone has any questions I’d be happy to share! 

Congrats to everyone who got in! I look forward to meeting the rest of the successful Dal applicants soon. :)

Hello Pam,

The only school that I could apply is Dal. I wanted to know what is the avarage subGPA in Dal. And in general how do you like the school so far? 

• 2 months later...
On 4/3/2022 at 5:20 PM, SLPEventually said:

Is anyone else confused about where to find the link to the open house for the University of Toronto on April 6th online/how to RSVP? It says I need to RSVP in my acceptance email, but like...where?

Edit - p.s. anyone on the waiting list for McMaster - there's another spot for you! Good luck!?

Do you mind explaining why UoT over McMaster?

Thanks

On 4/4/2022 at 8:37 AM, slp12398 said:

HI there! Congratulations to everyone on all the hard work this application cycle! 

I was wondering if anyone has any insights on choosing between the Ontario English SLP programs (Mac, UofT, Western). Or in general, what have you kept in mind when making your decision in terms of the programs and placement opportunities? 

Congratulations!!! Which one do you think you'll accept, and why? Applying next year.

Edited by SLPCurious

On 4/4/2022 at 10:33 AM, Iam_speechie said:

To anyone who got accepted in Uottawa, McGill or UdeM, would you be able to share your GPA? A little nervous about mine being too low and want to see if I have a chance (3.7/4.3). 

Hey I got offers from McGill and UdeM with a 3.98, hope this helps!

• 1 month later...