Hi Guys!

What sort of jobs could I potentially apply to that would make my application stand out for the next round of applications? I know SLP assistant is one of the main ones, but are there any other ones that would also look great on an application that deal with the field or even if they do not?

Thank you in advance!

7 hours ago, Loki_Odinson said:

Hi Guys!

What sort of jobs could I potentially apply to that would make my application stand out for the next round of applications? I know SLP assistant is one of the main ones, but are there any other ones that would also look great on an application that deal with the field or even if they do not?

Thank you in advance!

Hello! I'd recommend applying to be a Behavioural Interventionist or a support worker, I know many of my classmates worked as one for a couple years before applying. I think any position that requires you to work with children (e.g. after school program instructor, education assistant, etc.) will also look really good on the application and you can discuss things you've learned and relate those skills to how it would make you a good SLP!

On 5/11/2022 at 12:00 AM, yz123 said:

Hello! I'd recommend applying to be a Behavioural Interventionist or a support worker, I know many of my classmates worked as one for a couple years before applying. I think any position that requires you to work with children (e.g. after school program instructor, education assistant, etc.) will also look really good on the application and you can discuss things you've learned and relate those skills to how it would make you a good SLP!

Thank you! This is super helpful!

On 5/11/2022 at 4:30 AM, yz123 said:

11 minutes ago, Loki_Odinson said:

Thank you! This is super helpful!

I would encourage anyone looking to be a behavioural interventionist to look into the criticisms of ABA therapy, especially from the perspective of adult autistics who have experienced it and attribute it to trauma. It is a highly controversial practice right now. Personally, I would avoid it. 

On 5/10/2022 at 12:40 PM, SLPAPPVCV said:

Is there still no news from anyone with UofT's waitlist? I feel like they haven't contacted anyone yet

I had emailed them earlier in the week just asking when people from the waitlist will possibly hear anything. The only response I received was "We will contact those on the waitlist as soon as possible". I didn't expect it to take this long to hear something (whether it be myself or that someone else that hears from them) as it has already been almost 6 weeks since the first round of offers went out. I have checked the UofT facebook group though and there are currently 52 people in it - meaning that there may be as few as 8 waitlist spots available...

On 5/13/2022 at 12:45 PM, SpeechieKeen7 said:

Does anyone have a general idea of where Western may be on the their waitlist? Thanks!

Probably still in the first quadrant. It might also be a good idea to follow up with Janet, last year the class was full at the end of April, and obviously the waitlist will move much slower after that

Edited by slp2020ab

Hey! Tomorrow is the last Info session for UofT until September. I'm participating mostly to ask if they're reinstating the volunteer/experience requirement for this year (entre 2023)... Their site hasn't updated this yet. I will post here the response I get tomorrow!

Does anyone know about other schools' stance on this ?

Wow!! I was just offered a spot from McGill’s waitlist. I really thought that was never going to happen. I already accepted my offer for Occupational Therapy at U of T, so I will not be accepting the offer from McGill but I just wanted to remind anyone who didn’t get an offer right away not to lose hope :). Someone else should be hearing from McGill very soon! 

On 5/31/2022 at 4:17 PM, ElsaNotFrozen said:

Hey! Tomorrow is the last Info session for UofT until September. I'm participating mostly to ask if they're reinstating the volunteer/experience requirement for this year (entre 2023)... Their site hasn't updated this yet. I will post here the response I get tomorrow!

Does anyone know about other schools' stance on this ?

Did they end up saying if they’ll be doing the volunteer experience?

2 hours ago, SLPAPPVCV said:

Did they end up saying if they’ll be doing the volunteer experience?

So they said that for this year (entry 2023) they will not have the requirement again! Not sure when they will add it back again because "back to normal" is pretty subjective.

On 5/10/2022 at 7:06 PM, Loki_Odinson said:

Hi Guys!

Thank you in advance!

As someone currently in education, if you're able to apply to be an EA, there are tons of job openings. Particularly if you are able to work in a Kindergarten or special education setting (e.g. community class for ASD, developmental delay, etc) then you would gain a lot of great experience with populations who often access SLP!

Hi everyone, I've been looking through this forum obsessively for the last year and thought I would finally post something. I was offered a position from the waitlist at McGill a couple of days ago and accepted! I want to say thank you to everyone on here for making this such a safe and supportive space.

Good luck, I'm sure you will all make great SLPs ☺️

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SpeechPath22 said:

Has anyone heard from UofT regarding their waitlist at all? I had reached out a couple of weeks ago, and they said "we are working diligently to get back to our waitlist applicants as soon as possible". Hoping for some kind of update! 

From the sounds of it, I don’t think they’ve reached out to anyone on the waitlist.. I’ve been scoping out to find at least one person and I’ve had no luck. They said the same thing to me when I emailed them 

49 minutes ago, SLPAPPVCV said:

From the sounds of it, I don’t think they’ve reached out to anyone on the waitlist.. I’ve been scoping out to find at least one person and I’ve had no luck. They said the same thing to me when I emailed them 

Thanks for letting me know. Its already mid-June.. Im really surprised they haven't made any decisions for their waitlist yet. I hope someone hears something soon! 

Hi everyone!

I'm wondering if anybody from the U of A waitlist has heard back yet? I'm tempted to email and ask if there has been any movement but I know they likely can't disclose that information, and I also don't want to be an annoyance. Thanks!

Hey so I emailed Vicki on Tuesday (June 14) and she didn't mention anything about movement on the wait-list. She also said she'll contact those on the waitlist to let us know the quota has been finalized and that the waitlist will be kept open until September.

I assume this means all available spots have been filled ?