Does anyone know what the cohort size / class sizes are at U of T? In addition, how many applications do they normally receive or how many did they receive last year? I've been trying to figure out their acceptance rate and how big the class sizes are.

24 minutes ago, jec said:

Can the credits for the practicum be used towards the 60 credits needed without counting the 0 which comes from the pass/fail aspect of the course?

The programs I applied to mention 20 half courses/10 full courses so I'm not sure how to answer for credits or if credits are even relevant to the application process. Sorry! 

However, in my experience, the internship course which was a pass or fail grading got entered into my sGPA as a grade of 0 (odd because 1. ORPAS states they do not usually include internships in the calculation and 2. It was put as a 0 as if I failed but I didn't). After I mentioned on SAM that the course was an internship that I did indeed pass, it was removed completely from my ORPAS calculation and I no longer see that course listed. 

Hope this helps! 

12 minutes ago, SLP_hopeful123 said:

Does anyone know what the cohort size / class sizes are at U of T? In addition, how many applications do they normally receive or how many did they receive last year? I've been trying to figure out their acceptance rate and how big the class sizes are.

Orpas shows the amount of applicants from last cycle as well as the class size. Here's the link of all the schools from the Ontario programs, will have to look through it cause it also shows PT and OT programs

https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/orpas-program-requirements/

UofT has 60 spots and last year there were around 340 applications last cycle

Edited by AtBatts

9 minutes ago, SLP_hopeful123 said:

UofT stated on this website: https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/orpas-toronto/#slp that they will admit 60 students to SLP for 2022. 

Also on this website: https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/orpas-program-requirements/#toronto It says there were 337 applicants for UofTs SLP program last application cycle. 

You can also find information for Western and other ontario rehabilitation science programs using those links :)

5 hours ago, 2022slpplease said:

UofT stated on this website: https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/orpas-toronto/#slp that they will admit 60 students to SLP for 2022. 

Also on this website: https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/orpas-program-requirements/#toronto It says there were 337 applicants for UofTs SLP program last application cycle. 

You can also find information for Western and other ontario rehabilitation science programs using those links :)

Thank you for the info! Do you know about how big class sizes are? My thought is just because they admit 60 that might not necessarily mean that class sizes are 60 (maybe they have two sections for each class, to make it 30 ish students per class, for example). 60 seems like a lot to me...

Hi everyone! ORPAS made several errors in calculating my sub-GPA which have now been corrected. I am worried about possible errors that the schools I applied to outside of Ontario could make in calculating my sub-GPA, especially since I am near the cut-off. Do you guys think it would be appropriate if I sent the schools my calculation chart to ensure that there are no discrepancies?

4 minutes ago, Yokai said:

Hi everyone! ORPAS made several errors in calculating my sub-GPA which have now been corrected. I am worried about possible errors that the schools I applied to outside of Ontario could make in calculating my sub-GPA, especially since I am near the cut-off. Do you guys think it would be appropriate if I sent the schools my calculation chart to ensure that there are no discrepancies?

I would say it couldn't hurt to contact them. These other schools won't refer to ORPAS for your subGPA, so maybe what you can do is ask for clarification on how they interpret the error that ORPAS made. Not sure if they would take your sub-GPA chart and compare it to their records, just cause maybe they aren't that far in accessing the transcripts quite yet. Just for peace of mind it could be worth it, especially since last year I was nervous about small details.

Up to you, but no real downside just to ask.

1 hour ago, SLP_hopeful123 said:

Thank you for the info! Do you know about how big class sizes are? My thought is just because they admit 60 that might not necessarily mean that class sizes are 60 (maybe they have two sections for each class, to make it 30 ish students per class, for example). 60 seems like a lot to me...

You're welcome! I just spoke to a 2021 UofT SLP graduate and she said it was just one cohort. Maybe some current UofT SLP students could shed some light on the learning experience with 60 students in a class because that does seem like a large class but also not unbearable. 

Does anyone know the Western University class size for SLP? (I know they accept 50 people, but wondering if classes get split into two groups of 25?)

15 hours ago, 2022slpplease said:

You're welcome! I just spoke to a 2021 UofT SLP graduate and she said it was just one cohort. Maybe some current UofT SLP students could shed some light on the learning experience with 60 students in a class because that does seem like a large class but also not unbearable. 

Does anyone know the Western University class size for SLP? (I know they accept 50 people, but wondering if classes get split into two groups of 25?)

Would love to know others' experiences as well! 

17 hours ago, 2022slpplease said:

Hello! At Western, a lot of the courses have a lecture component and a clinical application/lab component. The lectures are usually done as one group and the labs are usually split into 2-3 groups.

4 hours ago, CCSLP94 said:

Hello! At Western, a lot of the courses have a lecture component and a clinical application/lab component. The lectures are usually done as one group and the labs are usually split into 2-3 groups.

Hey! Thank you so much for responding :) When you say "labs" how do those typically work and how do they differ from the co-op experiences? Are they smaller classes with "Case study" type questions? 

14 hours ago, 2022slpplease said:

Hey! Thank you so much for responding :) When you say "labs" how do those typically work and how do they differ from the co-op experiences? Are they smaller classes with "Case study" type questions? 

It really depends on the class and my experiences are probably quite different since a lot of my time in the program has taken place online but I can give some examples! Usually within the labs we are split into smaller groups of ~4 to work and then have a big group discussion at the end (depending on the topic of the lab). A lot of the classes do involve case scenarios but we do other stuff as well. For Anatomy and Physiology labs you would typically be going to the cadaver lab to learn about the different structures being discussed in class (since we were online when I took this class, we watched videos of the professor interacting with the cadavers instead). For Developmental Language Disorders, we had a few labs where we practiced administering and scoring language assessments. We had Audiology labs where we practiced giving each other hearing screenings. These are just a few examples but let me know if you want any more information or if there's a specific class you want to know about! :)

On 2/7/2022 at 8:17 PM, SLP_hopeful123 said:

Hello! Current UofT student here! 60 may seem like a lot but its actually not too bad haha. All our lectures are delivered as one big cohort and we are usually split up into groups of 3-6 for labs and projects.

46 minutes ago, thespeechdream said:

Hello! Current UofT student here! 60 may seem like a lot but its actually not too bad haha. All our lectures are delivered as one big cohort and we are usually split up into groups of 3-6 for labs and projects.

Thank you for the information! May I ask what the labs at UofT usually look like? Are they similar in format/activities to what @CCSLP94 mentioned above which seems very hands on and collaborative? :) 

For easy reference, CCSLP94 said (copy and pasted): "Usually within the labs we are split into smaller groups of ~4 to work and then have a big group discussion at the end (depending on the topic of the lab). A lot of the classes do involve case scenarios but we do other stuff as well. For Anatomy and Physiology labs you would typically be going to the cadaver lab to learn about the different structures being discussed in class (since we were online when I took this class, we watched videos of the professor interacting with the cadavers instead). For Developmental Language Disorders, we had a few labs where we practiced administering and scoring language assessments. We had Audiology labs where we practiced giving each other hearing screenings."

2 hours ago, CCSLP94 said:

It really depends on the class and my experiences are probably quite different since a lot of my time in the program has taken place online but I can give some examples! Usually within the labs we are split into smaller groups of ~4 to work and then have a big group discussion at the end (depending on the topic of the lab). A lot of the classes do involve case scenarios but we do other stuff as well. For Anatomy and Physiology labs you would typically be going to the cadaver lab to learn about the different structures being discussed in class (since we were online when I took this class, we watched videos of the professor interacting with the cadavers instead). For Developmental Language Disorders, we had a few labs where we practiced administering and scoring language assessments. We had Audiology labs where we practiced giving each other hearing screenings. These are just a few examples but let me know if you want any more information or if there's a specific class you want to know about! :)

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond so thoroughly! This definitely gives a really clear idea of what the clinical/lecture components look like at Western. :) It actually sounds really fun.

Do you find that the group work flows well in the program? I feel like we can all relate to those awkward breakout rooms on zoom where no one wants to talk / have all had our fair share of difficulties with group work. Though, I do feel like it would be different during Masters programs because everyone has worked so hard to get in and are very passionate. 

12 minutes ago, 2022slpplease said:

Thank you for the information! May I ask what the labs at UofT usually look like? Are they similar in format/activities to what @CCSLP94 mentioned above which seems very hands on and collaborative? :) 

For easy reference, CCSLP94 said (copy and pasted): "Usually within the labs we are split into smaller groups of ~4 to work and then have a big group discussion at the end (depending on the topic of the lab). A lot of the classes do involve case scenarios but we do other stuff as well. For Anatomy and Physiology labs you would typically be going to the cadaver lab to learn about the different structures being discussed in class (since we were online when I took this class, we watched videos of the professor interacting with the cadavers instead). For Developmental Language Disorders, we had a few labs where we practiced administering and scoring language assessments. We had Audiology labs where we practiced giving each other hearing screenings."

We haven't had the opportunity to have many labs as our program has primarily been online however we did have a week of audiology labs back in November which was exciting. We were able to conduct hearing screenings on each other and use the sound rooms which really helped facilitate the knowledge that we had acquired during the first few months. The audiology labs were split into groups of 3-4 and we were assigned time-slots to come in and work on the activities. Since our building is right in downtown, the covid protocols are more strict unfortunately. We don't have anatomy and physiology labs however we do conduct a lot of practice in terms of case-based studies and virtual stimulations. We also have a clinical practice course where we practice administering and scoring different language assessments, practice report writing, and learn about parent training. Currently, we have started learning about different developmental language disorders in preparation for our placements which start next month!

8 hours ago, thespeechdream said:

We haven't had the opportunity to have many labs as our program has primarily been online however we did have a week of audiology labs back in November which was exciting. We were able to conduct hearing screenings on each other and use the sound rooms which really helped facilitate the knowledge that we had acquired during the first few months. The audiology labs were split into groups of 3-4 and we were assigned time-slots to come in and work on the activities. Since our building is right in downtown, the covid protocols are more strict unfortunately. We don't have anatomy and physiology labs however we do conduct a lot of practice in terms of case-based studies and virtual stimulations. We also have a clinical practice course where we practice administering and scoring different language assessments, practice report writing, and learn about parent training. Currently, we have started learning about different developmental language disorders in preparation for our placements which start next month!

Thank you! This was really helpful :)It's interesting to hear some of the programs have similar labs. I'm also really glad that UofT has a component on parent training.

Hey guys! I was wondering about Alberta's gpa calculation, does anyone know forsure how we can calculate what our gpa would be for our applications there? I think I saw that they are excluding winer 2021 grades, but last year when I was thinking about applying it looked like they were omitting winter 2020 grades, because Alberta made all grades pass / fail. Does anyone know if 2020 grades are now being considered, or if they send out a gpa calculation like orpas does? I know it won't help at all lol but I just am worried that my Alberta application gpa will be significantly lower if some of my upper year grades don't count. Thanks in advance!!

7 minutes ago, hopefulslper said:

Hey guys! I was wondering about Alberta's gpa calculation, does anyone know forsure how we can calculate what our gpa would be for our applications there? I think I saw that they are excluding winer 2021 grades, but last year when I was thinking about applying it looked like they were omitting winter 2020 grades, because Alberta made all grades pass / fail. Does anyone know if 2020 grades are now being considered, or if they send out a gpa calculation like orpas does? I know it won't help at all lol but I just am worried that my Alberta application gpa will be significantly lower if some of my upper year grades don't count. Thanks in advance!!

Hey! This is from the admissions page on U of A's website. They aren't using the grades from the Winter 2020 semester, unfortunately!

image.thumb.png.6ad2b4965c98e4d55dd8f2290ed11260.png

39 minutes ago, ewdavid said:

Hey! This is from the admissions page on U of A's website. They aren't using the grades from the Winter 2020 semester, unfortunately!

image.thumb.png.6ad2b4965c98e4d55dd8f2290ed11260.png

AH, sorry, you're right! I misread that - looks like just winter 2020 is not counted. Does that mean that it still would count though for your 60 credits, and your grades would be calculated based off like 15 classes instead of 20?

11 hours ago, hopefulslper said:

AH, sorry, you're right! I misread that - looks like just winter 2020 is not counted. Does that mean that it still would count though for your 60 credits, and your grades would be calculated based off like 15 classes instead of 20?

I'm still a little confused myself! From the explanation it seems that they're still a part of the 60 credits just that the numbers won't be used, so yeah then it would be the 15/20 courses from my understanding. 

2 hours ago, ewdavid said:

I'm still a little confused myself! From the explanation it seems that they're still a part of the 60 credits just that the numbers won't be used, so yeah then it would be the 15/20 courses from my understanding. 

I asked Vicki about this, she said the credits still count but the grades don't (which honestly sucks), but anyways yeah it would be 15/20 courses! 

3 hours ago, SLPwonder said:

I asked Vicki about this, she said the credits still count but the grades don't (which honestly sucks), but anyways yeah it would be 15/20 courses! 

So the sGPA would only include 15 courses?