12 hours ago, SpeechPath22 said:

Does anyone know the sGPA cutoff for Western and UofT in previous years for people who were admitted to their SLP programs? I understand that other factors play a role in admissions, just hoping to get an idea of where I stand! 

Someone got in with a mid-3.70s in UofT last year, with hundreds of hours of volunteering in multiple settings and multiple research experiences. Several other applicants got in UofT with low 3.80s. I'm pretty sure Western is lower, I got into their waitlist last year with a 3.67 (3rd quadrant, didn't end up getting off of it) and they offered admission to several applicants in the 2nd quadrant.

The thing is that with covid they keep changing their admission criteria so it's hard to tell if it's going to be similar to the previous year or not. It's likely that GPA counts more this year with UofT completely waiving the volunteer/clinical reference and Western waiving the clinical reference.

2 hours ago, slp2020ab said:

Someone got in with a mid-3.70s in UofT last year, with hundreds of hours of volunteering in multiple settings and multiple research experiences. Several other applicants got in UofT with low 3.80s. I'm pretty sure Western is lower, I got into their waitlist last year with a 3.67 (3rd quadrant, didn't end up getting off of it) and they offered admission to several applicants in the 2nd quadrant.

The thing is that with covid they keep changing their admission criteria so it's hard to tell if it's going to be similar to the previous year or not. It's likely that GPA counts more this year with UofT completely waiving the volunteer/clinical reference and Western waiving the clinical reference.

Does anyone know if the focus on GPA changes at all in the case of a mature student?

6 minutes ago, AlwaysanAssistant said:

Does anyone know if the focus on GPA changes at all in the case of a mature student?

I doubt it, I am a mature student myself and I haven't seen any special treatment :P. I had to take more courses to improve my subGPA, last year I had over 250 hours of volunteering (single setting) and 3.67 subGPA but no research experience. I didn't get in anywhere (applied to McMaster, Western, UofT). It's a very unforgiving process. UofT also says that the prerequisites should be taken in the last 10 years.

18 minutes ago, slp2020ab said:

I doubt it, I am a mature student myself and I haven't seen any special treatment :P. I had to take more courses to improve my subGPA, last year I had over 250 hours of volunteering (single setting) and 3.67 subGPA but no research experience. I didn't get in anywhere (applied to McMaster, Western, UofT). It's a very unforgiving process. UofT also says that the prerequisites should be taken in the last 10 years.

Okay this is what I expected! Brutal but not surprising ?

Does UofT place any weight on how high your pre-req average is? I know you have to meet the requirement to be eligible to apply but beyond just the minimum does having high pre req earn any merit in the admission process? 

3 hours ago, AlwaysanAssistant said:

2 hours ago, slp2020ab said:

What age is considered a mature student? Out of curiosity... 

1 minute ago, AlwaysanAssistant said:

I believe it's not based on age, its based on being out of school for 3-5 years or something like that (can't remember the number of years exactly).

Yes, I think it's 5 years. The only accommodation they make I believe is regards to the academic reference letters where if you were out of school for 5+ years you only are required 1 academic reference letter instead of the 2. At the very least, I think experience isn't completely over looked at schools like UofT and Western cause there were a somewhat wide range of GPAs that got accepted, plus they still asked for experiences even if it wasn't SLP related. 

5 hours ago, _waffle123 said:

Does UofT place any weight on how high your pre-req average is? I know you have to meet the requirement to be eligible to apply but beyond just the minimum does having high pre req earn any merit in the admission process? 

My assumption is yes. I could be wrong, but most people applying have fairly competitive sGPA's so if they need something to distinguish they'd probably look at that as last measure.

9 hours ago, slp2020ab said:

For what it’s worth, I made it to the 4th quadrant of Western’s waitlist with a 3.45 sGPA. I was probably the last person on their list though ?

Western and UofT have the same admissions criteria as they used last year, I believe 

6 hours ago, _waffle123 said:

I would say yes. I can recall from a previous forum someone who didn't get an acceptance asked what they could do to improve their application and the response from the admissions was to increase the prerequisite grades. 

4 hours ago, SLPEventually said:

My assumption is yes. I could be wrong, but most people applying have fairly competitive sGPA's so if they need something to distinguish they'd probably look at that as last measure.

3 hours ago, 2022slpplease said:

I would say yes. I can recall from a previous forum someone who didn't get an acceptance asked what they could do to improve their application and the response from the admissions was to increase the prerequisite grades. 

oh interesting! I was under the impression that reference letters were used as the last measure because they aren't given that much weight

On 3/18/2022 at 8:12 AM, slp2020ab said:

Thanks for sharing :)I know it is so difficult to get an idea of where I stand because we don't know how they are weighing everything this year (References, letter, prerequisites, sGPA, etc.). I find myself getting more and more stressed (and doubtful :() as April 1st approaches.. Best of luck! 

I think I've seen this shared elsewhere in this thread, but FYI for anyone wondering:

-Last year UA sent out acceptances March 26 and 27

-UBC sent acceptances on April 7 

-I got my rejection letter from Dalhousie on April 7 too (but they were pretty all over the map with when they sent both acceptances and rejections out)

Not sure when they'll be sent out this year of course but I hope that helps anyone wondering!

10 hours ago, neuroling said:

I think I've seen this shared elsewhere in this thread, but FYI for anyone wondering:

-Last year UA sent out acceptances March 26 and 27

-UBC sent acceptances on April 7 

-I got my rejection letter from Dalhousie on April 7 too (but they were pretty all over the map with when they sent both acceptances and rejections out)

Not sure when they'll be sent out this year of course but I hope that helps anyone wondering!

thanks for the info! do you mind me asking your stats? I see that you were accepted to U of A and UBC last year!

46 minutes ago, Caitlin SLP Applicant said:

Hi Folks! :) 

Just got a call from McGill to say that I've been accepted! 

Good luck to everyone ❤️

are they going to be calling people by phone this year?? I am currently abroad so I was hoping we would just get an email...

47 minutes ago, Caitlin SLP Applicant said:

Hi Folks! :) 

Just got a call from McGill to say that I've been accepted! 

Good luck to everyone ❤️

CONGRATS! If you don't mind me asking, is your last name first half of the alphabet or later? :)

21 minutes ago, ElsaNotFrozen said:

are they going to be calling people by phone this year?? I am currently abroad so I was hoping we would just get an email...

Totally understand :) I received a call first and have yet to receive an email. But they informed me that they would send a follow up email (I no longer remember if they mentioned when the emails would be sent, sorry I was so excited!)