Hi everyone! I was accepted to UofT but I will need to complete a prerequisite course over the May/June term. It is an online course through Athabasca and I would need to complete the course in a little under two months (it starts May 1st and ends June 20th). I was planning on doing the Explore program in May/June (which is 5 weeks and full-time). Would it be possible to do the five-week full time program alongside completing the course? I have no idea what the workload is like for the Athabasca course. I am thinking to play it safe and cancel my spot in the Explore Program but I am not sure. If anyone has experience with taking Athabasca courses, please let me know! Any advice/comments are appreciated. 

P.S. If anyone has questions about UofT admissions or my stats, feel free to ask. I am happy to help where I can! 

Edited by HelloHello123

On 4/9/2022 at 3:24 PM, HelloHello123 said:

Hi everyone! I was accepted to UofT but I will need to complete a prerequisite course over the May/June term. It is an online course through Athabasca and I would need to complete the course in a little under two months (it starts May 1st and ends June 20th). I was planning on doing the Explore program in May/June (which is 5 weeks and full-time). Would it be possible to do the five-week full time program alongside completing the course? I have no idea what the workload is like for the Athabasca course. I am thinking to play it safe and cancel my spot in the Explore Program but I am not sure. If anyone has experience with taking Athabasca courses, please let me know! Any advice/comments are appreciated. 

P.S. If anyone has questions about UofT admissions or my stats, feel free to ask. I am happy to help where I can! 

Hello! Could you tell me which prerequisite it was? Might be a bit dependent on that... A couple years ago I did two Intro to Health courses with them (3 credits each), in two months. It was really tight, and I was working part-time, but I did it and my grades were fine. That being said, if I were to do that with the Stats prereq, or the Anatomy/Physiology one... can't say I would've had the same result. 

6 hours ago, ElsaNotFrozen said:

Hello! Could you tell me which prerequisite it was? Might be a bit dependent on that... A couple years ago I did two Intro to Health courses with them (3 credits each), in two months. It was really tight, and I was working part-time, but I did it and my grades were fine. That being said, if I were to do that with the Stats prereq, or the Anatomy/Physiology one... can't say I would've had the same result. 

Thank you for the info! It's PSYC 304: Research Methods in Psychology. It's made up of three quizzes, five assignments, and an exam.

15 minutes ago, SLPwonder said:

Anybody's GSMS portal changed yet for UofA (formal offer)? 

April 15th is only four days away!

not yet!! but good to learn that I am not the only one who is concerned.... Maybe they will extend the ddl for us especially this is not our fault at all

52 minutes ago, SLPwonder said:

Anybody's GSMS portal changed yet for UofA (formal offer)? 

April 15th is only four days away! :o

36 minutes ago, msstrong said:

not yet!! but good to learn that I am not the only one who is concerned.... Maybe they will extend the ddl for us especially this is not our fault at all

Also still pre-screening ?

2 hours ago, HelloHello123 said:

Thank you for the info! It's PSYC 304: Research Methods in Psychology. It's made up of three quizzes, five assignments, and an exam.

Oh, I'm taking that too right now haha. I am not too far ahead in it as of right now, but I feel it is definitely doable in 2 months comparing with the other 2 courses I did.

If the thing you're doing is full-time I would be a tad concerned. I did well in the other courses in 2 months because I was basically doing it like a full-time job (6 ish hours per day because it was a lot of memorizing and totally unfamiliar content) So if you can do that with the full-time job (8hrs?) at the same time more power to you! If you're unsure, then don't take the chances since your acceptance is conditional on that right?

Edit: Sorry, I wrote all of this assuming you meant the Research methods course through Athabasca?

Edited by ElsaNotFrozen

10 minutes ago, ElsaNotFrozen said:

Oh, I'm taking that too right now haha. I am not too far ahead in it as of right now, but I feel it is definitely doable in 2 months comparing with the other 2 courses I did.

If the thing you're doing is full-time I would be a tad concerned. I did well in the other courses in 2 months because I was basically doing it like a full-time job (6 ish hours per day because it was a lot of memorizing and totally unfamiliar content) So if you can do that with the full-time job (8hrs?) at the same time more power to you! If you're unsure, then don't take the chances since your acceptance is conditional on that right?

Edit: Sorry, I wrote all of this assuming you meant the Research methods course through Athabasca?

Yes, it is the Research Methods Course through Athabasca. Thank you for the honest advice! And yes, unfortunately, my offer is conditional on getting a B+ in the course so I think I probably shouldn't risk it. I am going to take some time to think it over, but I really appreciate your input on this. 

1 hour ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

Thanks! I'll wait patiently 

For those still waiting for their formal offer (UofA), Vicki replied:

I don't have a date as to when FGSR will process your application and send it our portal.  If the date is after the 15th, I will extend your deadline so that you can submit your decision.  I'm sorry I can't give you a better answer.  In other years, 2 weeks was sufficient time for processing.  Thank you for checking.
Vicki

Edited by SLPwonder

Hi everyone, I was admitted to Dal SLP for fall 2022. I have a 3.72/4.3 in Biochemistry with a minor in Psychology. I have significant experience working with special needs children through different organizations. I also have experience working with kids and teenagers in school. I was admitted March 29th. Feel free to PM me for more details :) 

5 minutes ago, EmSLP2021 said:

still nothing for me either :( getting very discouraged 

Don't get discouraged yet! Maybe it's a "no news is good news" situation. I think they must be making their way through the list. It seems that everyone that's already been accepted got in on March 29th. But no one has heard back with a rejection since then either! Fingers crossed!

3 minutes ago, gradschoolhopeful21 said:

I’m still waiting to hear as well! I wish they would just let us know something :(

I'm starting to wonder if they have some kind of system where they send out emails in 'rounds'. Anyone know how it worked in previous years?

3 hours ago, Slpyyz said:

I'm starting to wonder if they have some kind of system where they send out emails in 'rounds'. Anyone know how it worked in previous years?

I know last year it was all over the place. I got waitlisted but I know people who got accepted after and before me. I also have a friend who was rejected around two weeks ago so I'm thinking they're making their way through waitlists and waiting for people to get back to them about accepting the offer. Really not sure though :( I do know there was 240 applicants last year and I saw on this thread there's a rumour it was over 550 this year so they also are probably not used to so many applicants. 

15 minutes ago, EmSLP2021 said:

I know last year it was all over the place. I got waitlisted but I know people who got accepted after and before me. I also have a friend who was rejected around two weeks ago so I'm thinking they're making their way through waitlists and waiting for people to get back to them about accepting the offer. Really not sure though :( I do know there was 240 applicants last year and I saw on this thread there's a rumour it was over 550 this year so they also are probably not used to so many applicants. 

Oh, good to know! Maybe we will hear more after the 15th, once the deadline to accept the other schools has passed

Hi Everyone, 

Hoping you're all doing well! I'm grateful to have received the news of my admissions to McMaster and U of T, and I just accepted U of T this past week (the shock has still not left my system)!

But actually I'm on here to share with you about the volunteer work I've been doing that I think really helped me strengthen my application and I think EVERY SLP PROSPECTIVE STUDENT should know about and register for (if you are able to). It taught me so much about the voice from SLP's, Laryngologists, ENT's and other vocologists that shared their evidence based knowledge on the voice. But it was also super fun! This was important for me, because my background was in arts, theatre, and music- so gaining access to scientific knowledge that was current in the field of SLP was challenging for me. 

So what is it? It's a virtual voice symposium called The Power of Voice. And it's cool, because it's kind of like an arts meets science event. Here is the event description from the Facebook page:

A week-long virtual fair with incredible speakers from all over the world: from speech language pathologists, laryngologists, ENT's to Voice Artists and Professionals, Singers, and Voice Coaches, and Early Childhood Music Educators. Some of the top voice experts and practitioners in the world share their insight and knowledge.

MISSION: Providing a forum for voice experts, voice enthusiasts, and voice users, to come together to celebrate and educate one another through an accessible virtual symposium that aims to help voice users improve the way they connect and communicate.

VISION: To inform, inspire and connect voice enthusiasts around the globe through diverse voices, sharing current trends, evidence based practice, and powerful personal stories that connect us all through the power of voice.

So, because this event requires registration, and it is (I'm not going to lie) kinda on the higher end (at least for students), I am more than happy to work out some sort of special rate for prospective SLP students- just reply to this thread. Or if you are interested in a subsidy you can apply here for 50% off the ticket price, (deadline is at midnight on April 14th). 

Just so you know, I'm not getting paid to post this. I just wanted to share this cool thing that's happening just after World Voice Day and which involves a lot of SLP's in the profession. It's also a great networking opportunity too, as a lot of the events have talk back sessions where you can ask questions to SLP's and other voice professionals. 

If you're interested, here's more info:

Anyway, I hope this was helpful! I know ads can be annoying on forums, and I hope I'm not breaking any rules here by sharing this. But I really think it could help other prospective SLP's who want to learn more about SLP, what current issues are in the field, and also to network. I really think it helped me out a ton!

Cheers! And good luck to everyone! Hope to see you soon :)  And if you register for the event, make sure you reach out to me during the presentation in the chat!! Let's connect! I'm the one hosting Tuesday's event at 8pm: The POV of POC: The Power of Colour.?

4.png