MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

7 hours ago, Cmusurvivor said:

Don’t go to CMU. There is no faculty or program there. It’s not even really a university, it’s just a computer science camp.

What kind of first hand proof and evidence do you have that CMU is a bad university? Please drop some serious knowledge about your experience, as well as who you are. No one who posts anonymously about something so heavy such as smearing an entire department, again, and without any first-hand evidence again, online, should be believed about anything whatsoever whether they are from Sacto, or Blacksburg, or Philly, or the City of Lost Men, yadda yadda yadda...

Two friends of mine are CMU applicants, so in order to pass on peer reviewed information to them I'm gonna need some legit evidence from you please. And it should come from a real person, not a robotronic. Should be no problem since you feel so deeply about it, enough to have several other bots doing the same thing on this forum.

I'm willing to believe you. Just need some actual solid proof.

Edited by The-Fourth-Dimension
A late night bathes in sunlight.

Hi lovely folks - new here but have been lurking. I applied at UMass Dartmouth, University of Oregon, and Syracuse. No word from UO or Syracuse but I got an interview last week and acceptance yesterday from UMass Dartmouth. Feeling slightly sad because UO was my top pick and crickets so far, but grateful and excited for Dartmouth... Hope you all hear from your dream schools soon! ?

13 minutes ago, abceramics said:

Hi lovely folks - new here but have been lurking. I applied at UMass Dartmouth, University of Oregon, and Syracuse. No word from UO or Syracuse but I got an interview last week and acceptance yesterday from UMass Dartmouth. Feeling slightly sad because UO was my top pick and crickets so far, but grateful and excited for Dartmouth... Hope you all hear from your dream schools soon! ?

Hi there! Congratulations on your acceptance to UMass Dartmouth. I'm getting interviewed on Monday, it'll be my first one. What did they ask you if you don't mind sharing? I applied to their painting program. 

Hopefully you hear back soon from UO and Syracuse! Hang in there. It's still so early in Feb. 

51 minutes ago, whitewhales said:

Hi there! Congratulations on your acceptance to UMass Dartmouth. I'm getting interviewed on Monday, it'll be my first one. What did they ask you if you don't mind sharing? I applied to their painting program. 

Hopefully you hear back soon from UO and Syracuse! Hang in there. It's still so early in Feb. 

Thank you so much! Congrats on your interview, so exciting! I also paint but applied in ceramics. I interviewed with the ceramics prof. It was pretty informal as we had met when I went to check out the program for a day of shadowing. It was mostly a conversational discussion about the direction of my future work and answering some questions that she had about my portfolio and experience. I asked some questions about financial aid. It lasted an hour. Good luck with your interview and please update us!

4 hours ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

What kind of first hand proof and evidence do you have that CMU is a bad university? Please drop some serious knowledge about your experience, as well as who you are. No one who posts anonymously about something so heavy such as smearing an entire department, again, and without any first-hand evidence again, online, should be believed about anything whatsoever whether they are from Sacto, or Blacksburg, or Philly, or the City of Lost Men, yadda yadda yadda...

Two friends of mine are CMU applicants, so in order to pass on peer reviewed information to them I'm gonna need some legit evidence from you please. And it should come from a real person, not a robotronic. Should be no problem since you feel so deeply about it, enough to have several other bots doing the same thing on this forum.

I'm willing to believe you. Just need some actual solid proof.

People aren't always saying that they are bad universities when they speak out against a program at its current stance. The school as a whole is completely different than the current arrangement of faculty and administration members that are stewards of the institution at that particular time. Schools can be heavily influenced by one chair or professor, so if they leave and someone new comes in, the program can shift drastically without anyone having much say in that overall influence.

I understand the desire for more information, but in all honesty covid pretty much eviscerated most programs and they are all currently finding their footing. A program that was really strong three years ago, may be entirely different right now. I worked at an art school during covid, and started an mfa program last year, and it is all basically the same story of everyone was fired and now we are starting from scratch in a confusing and unproductive way.

It doesn't mean they're "bad" schools, it just means that the current state of the program is crisis. My one friend even graduated from Yale in 2020 and advised me against applying because she was disheartened by their handle on the pandemic and felt like it was a waste of money etc. 

Schools that are finding their footing without an established set of chairs and faculty are just more of a gamble, so people are just giving others a heads up that the shiny marketing on the outside is not matching up with the internal chaos. Everyone on here has the full capacity to message current and former students to check up on the status of their programs. I don't think anyone has to reveal their identity, but if you're really concerned about what you read on here about a school, try and contact a current student for some info!

Edited by katfude5

I agree!! I even have friends who adviced against popular ones like Saic, CCA (going there during the pandemic). I know a current student in CMU who loves it there and highly praised it but have also read elsewhere (quora I think) that it was trash. It's hard to get an idea when this sort of opinion emerges. In this case if you check CMUsurvivor's previous post you can see they had a terrible experience with a teacher I believe. It would be great if they could expand on the reasons since I have been really set on cmu for a few months.

2 minutes ago, katfude5 said:

People aren't always saying that they are bad universities when they speak out against a program at its current stance. The school as a whole is completely different than the current arrangement of faculty and administration members that are stewards of the institution at that particular time. Schools can be heavily influenced by one or chairs or professors, so if they leave and someone new comes in, the program can shift drastically without anyone having much say in that overall influence.

I understand the desire for more information, but in all honesty covid pretty much eviscerated most programs and they are all currently finding their footing. I worked at a college during covid, and started an mfa program last year, and it is all basically the same story of everyone was fired and now we are starting from scratch in a confusing and unproductive way.

It doesn't mean they're "bad" schools, it just means that the current state of the program is crisis. My one friend even graduated from Yale in 2020 and advised me against applying because she was disheartened by their handle on the pandemic etc. 

Schools that are finding their footing without an established set of chairs and faculty are just more of a gamble, so people are just giving others a heads up that the shiny marketing on the outside is not matching up with the internal chaos. Everyone on here has the full capacity to message current and former students to check up on the status of their programs. I don't think anyone has to reveal their identity, but if you're really concerned about what you read on here about a school, try and contact a current student for some info!

6 hours ago, whitewhales said:

honestly i'm trying to "make work" but i am so distracted by this forum since i discovered it, has completely derailed my studio practice. i keep coming back here for news. trying to get back to reading and drawing now..... and wean myself off this forum. 

how did your interview go? i'm happy you feel good post interview. i hope we all get that "went really well" feeling afterwards.. these things are so intimidating.

Same, studio practice has been more or less not as productive.

Print faculty at Tyler were really engaged in my practice and the reasons I was doing things. They started the interview by me asking questions first (which is a first for me, probably trying to break the ice). We went into talking about the conceptual nature of my work along with the history of printmaking. For once, I felt like I really could see how conversations with these faculty could go in a grad critique or a studio visit. We also discussed logistical things like how the university funds their students.

What has me spiraling though, is that they did disclose they are considering taking on 2-3 students in the print department this semester, and that the interviews are a shortlist of applicants they wanted to talk about. So I’m not sure if I’m competing against 5,10,..20 or so shortlisted people. I guess I’m going to have to sit here and wait.

1 hour ago, katfude5 said:

People aren't always saying that they are bad universities when they speak out against a program at its current stance. The school as a whole is completely different than the current arrangement of faculty and administration members that are stewards of the institution at that particular time. 

I understand the desire for more information.

"I understand the desire for more information." Do you? If someone wants anyone to believe anything then there must be evidence and accountability. Literally the lowest bar out there. This is a board for MASTERS degree student applicants and evidence should never be up for debate for educated people, otherwise education is not education.

This man, "Cmusurvivor," posted back in December talking about all these things he allegedly went through with Carnegie Mellon. Again, no evidence and anonymous. I asked him for evidence to support his claim. He attacked me personally.

I was contacted by a "mysterious stranger" who informed me of who this man is, what the situation was/is, and the institutions that he operates in back east, and even here in Southern California. I didn't take it for face value, so I did some digging on my own and found the information to be accurate.

For all I know, the email could have been from him for some reason.

What it boils down to is an individual who has access to student bodies at several educational institutions from the eastern, to the western United States, and influence over the students. If this person feels that it is okay to make statements without proof, then that absolutely reflects on his modus operandi with regards to higher education pedagogy.

I know who the guy is, and if he reads this then he will know that I know who he is. I'm never going to throw him under the bus and "out" him because I'm not a punk ass bitch like that.

I remain firmly tethered to reality in that that the claims that he is leveling against CMU must be backed by verifiable evidence and must be done by an individual willing to make that public sacrifice no matter what the outcome. If these basic criteria cannot be met then right or wrong there is no basis to believe the claim/claims made by this man.

As a Chicano Public Art Activist, I stand against fascism, hatred, and the 1% supremacy every single day, and I'm loud about it. I do it in the public gallery and people know who I am and where I live. I'm on the side of good, on the side of God, and have zero to fear from any man because my path is just and I have a long record of doing the right thing. That's not a very high bar for me to expect of others.

I've talked enough with this guy and his sock accounts. This is energy that I don't want to entertain.

I've reiterated my piece and I'm over it.

Edited by The-Fourth-Dimension
Nihilism likes to take a walk in the park.

Hey, I know I haven't been here for a while like some of you have, but I think it's important to approach things online with a grain of salt, and at the end of the day-- your own research and perception of what you find is what is important. We are all strangers to each other, this is an online forum. Information is vague, weird, honest, fake, whatever. What matters is, we are all here for comfort throughout this really weird process and this insanely crazy time. Let's be kind to each other, and if you feel any sort of hostility, maybe take it off the forum-- I don't mean going into DMs, I mean just taking a breath and taking a break from gradcafe for a sec. It's so easy to be caught up in tedious arguments when you're stressed about something as daunting as applications, tensions can be high. We have a responsibility towards each other, as somewhat of a support group, to keep it friendly at the least.

If I'm way off base here, let me know. I hope everyone has a good Thursday!

3 hours ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

"I understand the desire for more information." Do you? If someone wants anyone to believe anything then there must be evidence and accountability. Literally the lowest bar out there. This is a board for MASTERS degree student applicants and evidence should never be up for debate for educated people, otherwise education is not education.

This man, "Cmusurvivor," posted back in December talking about all these things he allegedly went through with Carnegie Mellon. Again, no evidence and anonymous. I asked him for evidence to support his claim. He attacked me personally.

I was contacted by a "mysterious stranger" who informed me of who this man is, what the situation was/is, and the institutions that he operates in back east, and even here in Southern California. I didn't take it for face value, so I did some digging on my own and found the information to be accurate.

For all I know, the email could have been from him for some reason.

What it boils down to is an individual who has access to student bodies at several educational institutions from the eastern, to the western United States, and influence over the students. If this person feels that it is okay to make statements without proof, then that absolutely reflects on his modus operandi with regards to higher education pedagogy.

I know who the guy is, and if he reads this then he will know that I know who he is. I'm never going to throw him under the bus and "out" him because I'm not a punk ass bitch like that.

I remain firmly tethered to reality in that that the claims that he is leveling against CMU must be backed by verifiable evidence and must be done by an individual willing to make that public sacrifice no matter what the outcome. If these basic criteria cannot be met then right or wrong there is no basis to believe the claim/claims made by this man.

As a Chicano Public Art Activist, I stand against fascism, hatred, and the 1% supremacy every single day, and I'm loud about it. I do it in the public gallery and people know who I am and where I live. I'm on the side of good, on the side of God, and have zero to fear from any man because my path is just and I have a long record of doing the right thing. That's not a very high bar for me to expect of others.

I've talked enough with this guy and his sock accounts. This is energy that I don't want to entertain.

I've reiterated my piece and I'm over it.

Hi, I have lurked this forum for a couple of years, and this particular thread since I began my applications for MFA programs.

I am wondering why you are taking a certain tactic towards a survivor of abuse. While I cannot prove what CMUsurvivor is saying is true, I do know that an institution like CMU has more power and reputation than an individual Gradcafe poster. As someone who knows survivors of abuse and sexual assault, I am little put off by your constant questioning of their story. While I understand the desire for truth and accuracy, I think this type of thinking leads to victim blaming. I am of the opinion that we should begin by believing a survivor over the perpetrator of abuse. As I see it, cancel culture is minimal compared to the financial and social capital possessed by big name art schools and programs.

As someone else has said, there are many reasons why an academic institution may not treat their students appropriately or no longer hold themselves to the reputation the university is known for.

I hope you do not take this as me attacking you, just want to know more about why you have taken this approach to a purported survivor of abuse at the hands of a big-name university. I know that you are done with this topic, but I hope you understand where I am coming from.

On 2/2/2022 at 7:17 AM, blueviolet said:

I applied to the following MFA programs for ceramics:

LSU

UNL

Alfred

VCU

SIUE

Did anyone else apply to these programs or does anyone know the timeline for interviews/admissions decisions for these?

Thanks

I applied to Alfred and VCU in Sculpture but haven't heard anything yet

30 minutes ago, aylinal said:

Hey all! A graphic designer here.

I have gotten interview invitations from following programs:

Yale, SAIC, Umass Amherst

Do you have any advices for the interview or an idea of what to expect? Would really appreciate any input. :)

Also, anyone heard back from Parsons? Specifically from MFA Design and Technology.

My UMass Amherst interview last year was a bit rigid, mostly talking about academic and research interests though that really does seem to be dependent on who your interview is with. People from my cohort had very different interview vibes depending on who was conducting it. I’d say have a broad approach prepared for whether it skews more toward artistic practice or academic/pedagogical placement etc. I enrolled at UMass and was there for a few weeks so if you have any specific questions let me know! 

On 1/31/2022 at 8:36 PM, tomatoriot said:

The chair of the visual mfa at washU / Sam Fox emailed me a few days ago. Said they had already viewed my half finished slideroom application, loved the work on my website, and encourage me to submit the application.

one of the professors at University of Iowa just reached out to me on instagram and email about my unfinished application! (but without the compliments lol)! I wasn't going to apply afterall and the deadline has passed, but they said I have a day or two to get my application materials in.

19 minutes ago, 1800goodluck said:

For those asking about Hunter further up in the forum— I got my rejection email last year on March 6th! So I think they are slower with the process. 

Similarly, those wondering about RISD, two years ago I got a rejection around March 11th. I think RISD falls under the umbrella of schools who send rejections way after sending interviews/acceptances. Kind of annoying imo.. but yeah. 

Just now, Pickle95 said:

Similarly, those wondering about RISD, two years ago I got a rejection around March 11th. I think RISD falls under the umbrella of schools who send rejections way after sending interviews/acceptances. Kind of annoying imo.. but yeah. 

I get why they do it but I also find it annoying. UW Madison sent out rejections of February 16th last year and I appreciated their relative promptness. 

42 minutes ago, AncientQuail said:

one of the professors at University of Iowa just reached out to me on instagram and email about my unfinished application! (but without the compliments lol)! I wasn't going to apply afterall and the deadline has passed, but they said I have a day or two to get my application materials in.

That’s amazing! I also applied to Iowa. Hoping for good news for us both. NW rejected me and I didn’t get an interview with UW or Tyler — I need a freaking win. 

1 hour ago, aylinal said:

Hey all! A graphic designer here.

I have gotten interview invitations from following programs:

Yale, SAIC, Umass Amherst

Do you have any advices for the interview or an idea of what to expect? Would really appreciate any input. :)

Also, anyone heard back from Parsons? Specifically from MFA Design and Technology.

Congratulations on your Yale interview invitation! I received one too but in a different department. I spoke with a Yale graduate this week for interview tips, and one of the things she said that stuck with me is that you want to be able to answer the question about where your art fits in with the contemporary art world. In other words, they want to hear you contextualize your art. Yale invites museum/gallery curators to co-teach their classes, so this lets you know they're interested in the world of commercial (for lack of a better word) art more than, say, academia art. 

10 hours ago, abceramics said:

I haven’t heard back about Syracuse either but they extended their deadline to the 15th so don’t worry too much. The priority deadline got moved to Feb. 1 from Jan. 15 too so I think it’ll be a while before we hear from them. But congrats on Dartmouth! I hope you hear back from UO and everywhere else soon!?