MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

47 minutes ago, nobodyok said:

Oh no! Do you mean they sent out interview emails already? I applied in Sculpture, what about you?

I applied in graphic design. They say they will have interview and the final decision will be made at the beginning of March.

Idk anyone who received an interview email...bc there are less people who applied for UF, I think most of them go to FSU.

I just think it is not a good sign for me...which is i still didn't received their interview at the end of Feb...anyways, crossed fingures for us and wish both of us a good luck!!

This morning I got a rejection letter through email from my #1 school, UNL, super bummed. Then later, I got a phone call at work today that came up as "Scam Likely," I picked it up because I've been so anxious to hear from a grad school and it was a call from Boise State telling me I was accepted! What a happy little coincidence. Answer all of your spam calls!

On another note to those who are accepted, school are notorious for pressuring potential grad students into accepting soon, typically within a week. You are not obligated to make a decision until April 15th. I would do all communicating through email so that you have a paper trail.

7 hours ago, DawkT said:

Congrats! I had an interview with Notre Dame for photography on 2/16 and it went okay-ish. If the same questions are used department wide, they will ask: introduce yourself and tell us about who you are, can you explain the work you make and why you make it, are you comfortable in a research based environment, how do you think your work will change or will it stay the same, who are your inspirations.

They notified me that every medium only accepts 1 student and the program is extremely research-based. So good luck!!

Thank you. 

Oh wow! that's quite competitive, I didn't know that. It means I should keep my hopes low :D What are your thoughts about their MFA program work quality? 

6 hours ago, DawkT said:

This morning I got a rejection letter through email from my #1 school, UNL, super bummed. Then later, I got a phone call at work today that came up as "Scam Likely," I picked it up because I've been so anxious to hear from a grad school and it was a call from Boise State telling me I was accepted! What a happy little coincidence. Answer all of your spam calls!

On another note to those who are accepted, school are notorious for pressuring potential grad students into accepting soon, typically within a week. You are not obligated to make a decision until April 15th. I would do all communicating through email so that you have a paper trail.

Yes they really do pressure. But also, some schools are not a part of the April 15th resolution so that might not be accurate for everyone. There’s a list of participating schools here: https://cgsnet.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/CGS_April15_Resolution_Oct2020Revision.pdf

hey everyone! I am late on this thread, I am sure everyone is on the same boat with this waiting game... :S I only applied to northwestern and Yale, did the interview and now just waiting. Has anyone else who also interviewed at northwestern heard anything back yet, I feel like we should hear any day now. Has there been any follow up?

Edited by artstudent555

14 hours ago, HJAn said:

Does anyone have advice on how to negotiate for more? Anyone have experience in successful negotiations in the past? Thanks!!

I would also love advice on this for RISD specifically. I sent an email to my discipline's graduate program director early this week and still haven't heard back yet ? I just articulated that I would love to to go to RISD, but that my current financial package puts me in a difficult place to do, particularly in comparison to how much more I've been offered by other programs.

14 hours ago, HJAn said:

Sure. I was offered about half of the tuition cost for both years + 5k TA position (I think someone else on this forum mentioned this as well). 

Does anyone have advice on how to negotiate for more? Anyone have experience in successful negotiations in the past? Thanks!!

I would probably reply to the offer by saying specific things about the program that I love, how much I want to attend, and then ask if there is an appeals process to receive more financial aid. Asking for an appeals process before mentioning my offers from other schools just seems more friendly to me, but I don’t know.

I know a couple people who have tried negotiating with RISD, but it didn’t work, and they ended up withdrawing. This may change year to year of course. 

9 minutes ago, oli_czhang said:

To those who are anxiously waiting to hear back from Pratt - I have just received their invitation for interview (for sculpture). Best of luck to everyone else out there! 

For the Pratt painting applicants - I received my invitation for interview (painting). Good luck everyone. 

18 hours ago, DawkT said:

Congrats! I had an interview with Notre Dame for photography on 2/16 and it went okay-ish. If the same questions are used department wide, they will ask: introduce yourself and tell us about who you are, can you explain the work you make and why you make it, are you comfortable in a research based environment, how do you think your work will change or will it stay the same, who are your inspirations.

They notified me that every medium only accepts 1 student and the program is extremely research-based. So good luck!!

Hey

thank you for telling all this stuff, it's really helpful.

Could you be comfortable telling about the interview results? Did you hear back from them?

2 minutes ago, Mfanymph22 said:

Anyone from Pratt integrated media?

I actually got interview invite for Pratt integrated media earlier today. Which came as a surprise since I made a mistake when editing my SOP for Pratt and forgot to remove another school's name....and I realized my mistake after I already submitted. Perhaps they didn't ready it at all? LOL ?

well if they didn't read it yet, they probably will now... 

3 minutes ago, HJAn said:

I actually got interview invite for Pratt integrated media earlier today. Which came as a surprise since I made a mistake when editing my SOP for Pratt and forgot to remove another school's name....and I realized my mistake after I already submitted. Perhaps they didn't ready it at all? LOL ?

well if they didn't read it yet, they probably will now... 

Congats!I wouldn't worry that much about his ,it seems to be quite common ?

I haven't received anything yet ,i guess it's a no..

Hi all, I just discovered this forum recently and wish I had seen it before even starting the application process. So much great advice (it's my first year applying, and I didn't decide until December that I would be trying to go to grad school so I had to scramble... I was only in my undergrad program for 2 years due to a change of major so I feel like an outsider/newbie/totally lost sometimes in the art academia world and grad school process).

Mostly deciding to comment to say I was invited to interview with Pratt printmaking today, hopefully this is helpful for someone to know. It looks like it's going to be with two faculty interviewers.

I'm super nervous... It's my second interview. My first was with SVA which went really well, and I was subsequently accepted into their Fine Arts program. My preference would be a printmaking specific program... but a school with a robust printmaking department could be alright. My work is sculptural and interdisciplinary but I fully ID as a printmaker and would like to focus on that and eventually teach printmaking.

I haven't heard anything from my top picks (RISD, VCU, Tyler...) so I'm assuming that's a rejection at this point. Does anyone have any insight into Pratt as a school for printmaking? 

6 hours ago, thatdesigndude said:

Awesome list, I was considering all of these!

I had an interview with CCA last week that went really well. I haven’t heart anything from ArtCenter yet.

Thank you for your reply!

I just got a rejection from SVA. Do you know are any cases who accepted without going through an interview?

Edited by EBLEE

6 hours ago, hibiscusleaves said:

All the programs' interviews have already taken place, MICA results will be out in the beginning of march

Thank you for your reply !

Do you know are any cases who accepted without going through an interview?