MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

Does anyone have advice on the types of questions to ask of the interviewers?  I've heard you should be prepared with a few thoughtful/intellegent questions for them but I'm not really sure what to ask.  My first interview is tomorrow (gulp) so any advice would be helpful!  

24 minutes ago, artcat said:

Does anyone have advice on the types of questions to ask of the interviewers?  I've heard you should be prepared with a few thoughtful/intellegent questions for them but I'm not really sure what to ask.  My first interview is tomorrow (gulp) so any advice would be helpful!  

I've started asking if they could tell me a bit about their philosophy on critique and it seems like it goes over well usually. I've gotten some really thoughtful answers back. I've also asked what they feel is a unique attribute of their program that they would want to take advantage of if they were a student there. Good luck with your interview! 

7 minutes ago, Strawberrycat said:

I've started asking if they could tell me a bit about their philosophy on critique and it seems like it goes over well usually. I've gotten some really thoughtful answers back. I've also asked what they feel is a unique attribute of their program that they would want to take advantage of if they were a student there. Good luck with your interview! 

those are great questions!  Thanks!

On 2/13/2022 at 8:40 PM, lalalalalalalalalala said:

For those who have interviewed with RISD what department was it with? I haven't gotten an interview but was pretty confident I would have from feedback from alum and within the school. Slightly confused right now but not sure of the timeline 

I interviewed with RISD on friday morning for printmaking. They first reached out to me this past wednesday and offered me several times to choose from for the interview on friday and monday (today).

5 hours ago, AncientQuail said:

I interviewed with RISD on friday morning for printmaking. They first reached out to me this past wednesday and offered me several times to choose from for the interview on friday and monday (today).

My own timeline was slightly different. They reached out to me for the first time on January 30, then I had my interview on the 9th (last week Wednesday), after selecting from the available dates of 7th, 8th and 9th. Between, I had to submit images of paintings I'd done years ago, which were not initially included in my portfolio, along with two recent photos of my studio (I'm currently undergoing a residency program, so that might the reason they requested for studio pictures, to see what I was working on, I suppose). My interview was with the painting department, though.

Hope your interview went well. 

Edited by _redrabbit7

23 hours ago, seelamfa22 said:

A couple people here mentioned UC Berkeley. I interviewed with them last week. They said they were wrapping up interviews and would have decisions by the end of the month.

Oh Really? Did UC Berkeley Art Practice already offer interviews?

On 2/12/2022 at 12:03 AM, nameless cat said:

Yes, I do! Reiterate that I'm excited about the program, mentioning a certain thing we discussed in the interview. 

Also, found out about Rutgers rejection thanks to this forum. Still no email from them, weird and kind of tacky? Stay positive y'all!!! It still seems like a lot of schools are just beginning the process. 

On 2/12/2022 at 2:39 AM, Font said:

Yes you need to initiate a paper trail. It shows you know how to 1) be professional in your practice and 2) have great communication skills. 

The below video created by a former RISD prof says you should treat grad school interviews like job interviews. A simple 'thank you' goes a long way.

youtube.com/watch?v=KEwgwfw6JAs

In case anyone else was wondering, this was really great advice! I emailed the faculty who interviewed me at one of the schools I applied to and they actually had some more questions for me, which I answered, and then they sent me some great references! Thanks @Font @nameless cat!!!

14 hours ago, artcat said:

It depends on what you know about the program and what info is available on their website, but here's some questions that I have asked:

Are there teaching opportunities for graduate students?
What do you enjoy most about the community here? 
What do you expect the cohort size to be?
What is it like to live in this area? (especially good if you don't live nearby!)

If the prof is working on any projects that I find interesting then I typically like to ask about that too, just to show that I care and am interested in being part of the community :)

2 hours ago, slickjaketheruler said:

For people that interviewed with Tyler, does anyone know when we will hear back? The wait is killing me.

I didn’t hear back until March 15th last year!!! So it might be a while. From what I understand, all departments have to finish interviews then they figure out funding which is why it takes so long! 

Had my Pratt photo interview today which I think went well but the first two questions were surprises so thought I’d share them.

1. describe your practice in exactly 5 words

2. what should we know about you that isn’t in the application 

then they asked about a specific piece, what I’m reading and one more typical question. Hopefully that helps someone out there ?

2 hours ago, eatyoveggies said:

It depends on what you know about the program and what info is available on their website, but here's some questions that I have asked:

Are there teaching opportunities for graduate students?
What do you enjoy most about the community here? 
What do you expect the cohort size to be?
What is it like to live in this area? (especially good if you don't live nearby!)

If the prof is working on any projects that I find interesting then I typically like to ask about that too, just to show that I care and am interested in being part of the community :)

awesome!  thank you!

18 hours ago, Strawberrycat said:

Wish I asked you this question earlier Strawberrycat it’s such a thoughtful answer. Taking notes

1 hour ago, RyanV said:

Had my Pratt photo interview today which I think went well but the first two questions were surprises so thought I’d share them.

1. describe your practice in exactly 5 words

2. what should we know about you that isn’t in the application 

then they asked about a specific piece, what I’m reading and one more typical question. Hopefully that helps someone out there ?

?? what the heck 

Thank you for sharing. I have been told similar questions are asked of the painters. But not the 5 words question..

Funny how both painting department and photo department are asking us what we are reading. 

Did it feel intense?

10 minutes ago, whitewhales said:

Wish I asked you this question earlier Strawberrycat it’s such a thoughtful answer. Taking notes

?? what the heck 

Thank you for sharing. I have been told similar questions are asked of the painters. But not the 5 words question..

Funny how both painting department and photo department are asking us what we are reading. 

Did it feel intense?

It didn’t really feel intense, the first two questions did feel like they were intended to see how you think on your feet so I don’t think they were expecting something perfect, after that it was more conversational. That said with non open ended questions it does feel awkward because it’s not natural. They ask, you answer and they move on to the next question. I think In retrospect I wish I had given broader answers to the specific questions that created dialogue. 

34 minutes ago, whitewhales said:

?? what the heck 

Did it feel intense?

It took me a while to get to those questions and a lot of asking a ton of other people, I was so lost about what to ask at first and afraid I'd ask something that seemed trivial or that was easily found on their websites. ?

Keep telling myself I'll get my Hunter interview request within 24 hours of the full moon which is tomorrow at 11:57am EST, hoping the moon's gravitational pull can pull good news out of the admissions committees and into our inboxes!! ???

Edited by Forms Without Formula

Hi friends, I took a break from this place to save my poor noodle from being fried lol. But I just wanted to check back in and say that I got emailed by one of the faculty with an unofficial notice of acceptance into RISD Illustration! (Official notices go out in March). I'm so happy, especially because I considered this one a "reach" school! ? I'll also hear on funding in March, too.

quick timeline:
application deadline - Jan 10th
invited to interview - Jan 22nd
interview - Jan 27th
unofficial acceptance - today
(if it matters, I'm an international applicant)

As I've mentioned before, Illustration is their newest program, so I wouldn't advise using this as a basis if you applied to their more established programs like Painting, Digital Media, etc. Just putting this out there for any potential Illus lurkers, and for comparison in general.

Other school I applied to is SUNY FIT, which I haven't heard a peep from.

Also saw a lot of people I've interacted with on here posting their own interview/acceptance notices -- so very happy for you! Here's to even more good news in the future for us all!

Just got an an interview invite email from Colorado State at 9:30pm ? I don't remember seeing anyone else applying here but I thought I would post about it!!! 

I've interviewed with MICA and haven't heard back yet, and haven't heard anything at all from the other programs (VCU, UCI, U Montana, or SFSU).