MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

3 minutes ago, lilyxia99 said:

I've seen people get accepted from waitlist, even with a full tuition offer, so stay hopeful! :)

Hey thank you for giving some hope. The University faculty, where I wanted to do my MFA, really liked my work and I just messed up big time during interview and I think it was a reason I got into waitlisting. It's a three years fully funded MFA program, mostly research based, which I really liked. 

Now I am so heart broken that I do not have courage to give interview at Hunter this Saturday. 

1 hour ago, greentea2 said:

I just got an interview invite for Otis (Fine Arts MFA). Anyone else??

Hi! I also just received an interview invitation from Otis, but for the MFA Graphic Design program. Were you assigned a time slot or are you able to pick one? They scheduled me for next week and I kinda wish I got to choose my own time...

Has decisions for Yale's Graphic Design MFA already come out? Just saw an entry on the Results page with someone claiming to have been accepted with funding. Been lurking on past year forums, and thought Yale's art school sends decisions all at once, and doesn't send financial packages until days/weeks after admission decisions are released? Perhaps I was confused or maybe things are different this year...? Also just checked the admission portal, no updates on my end. Don't know what this means.

Edited by thermoflask

29 minutes ago, thermoflask said:

Hi! I also just received an interview invitation from Otis, but for the MFA Graphic Design program. Were you assigned a time slot or are you able to pick one? They scheduled me for next week and I kinda wish I got to choose my own time...

Hello! I was able to pick my time slot. My email said it would be a 15-minute zoom interview, and there were availabilities on various days throughout the first two weeks of March. Good luck on your interview!

3 minutes ago, greentea2 said:

Hello! I was able to pick my time slot. My email said it would be a 15-minute zoom interview, and there were availabilities on various days throughout the first two weeks of March. Good luck on your interview!

I see! maybe just different departments doing different things... Best of luck!

Just adding to the chorus of others who received their official RISD admit today (MFA Illustration), after the unofficial email back in February. Aside from the assistantship, no other financial aid. I was hoping for better... I don't have a decision yet from my other school, so not sure what I can mention in an email to appeal for more funding. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks and congrats to all others! ?

5 hours ago, thermoflask said:

Has decisions for Yale's Graphic Design MFA already come out? Just saw an entry on the Results page with someone claiming to have been accepted with funding. Been lurking on past year forums, and thought Yale's art school sends decisions all at once, and doesn't send financial packages until days/weeks after admission decisions are released? Perhaps I was confused or maybe things are different this year...? Also just checked the admission portal, no updates on my end. Don't know what this means.

I think the 2 year program decisions came out last Friday, but 3 year program decisions should be out this Friday. And yes they come out at once. Which one did you apply to? And when was your interview?

How are low-income international students doing this cycle?

It is second year of me applying and it again seems like a very stretch that I will get anything decent. I have applied to 10 programs and got interviews at almost all. Now I have offers from RISD(assistantship, trying to negotiate), NYU ITP (50%, haven't heard about assistantships yet), SAIC (20%) and rejected from MIT Media Labs. Still waiting on Georgia State, CMU, Stanford, Yale, Pratt, and Parsons. Has any international gotten fully-funded option for MFA or Interdisciplinary Design courses?  Or are there any outside sources you are looking for funding? 

On 3/1/2022 at 2:23 PM, hopeful.jpeg said:

eryone!! I wanted to introduce myself :) I applied to art/design programs that combine art and technology/experience. I'm applied out of my undergrad program (currently at Stanford, happy to answer questions about the art programs!) studying design and engin

Hi! may I ask when did you receive the ITP offer? I applied on December 1st and haven't heard from them since then...

I know that SAIC has only one full scholarship for each department, so they usually divide that full scholarship into five 20%. I will suggest definitely reach out to the admission office to appeal for more fundings, or just ask for other financial support opportunities! 

(just realized that I quoted the wrong message:o, how do I correct that)

Edited by swifteggtart

10 hours ago, hellotothefuture said:

Hey everyone! 

Could anyone tell me if someone is on the waitlist of the university then does they have a shot? or is it a soft rejection?

A solid amount of people definitely get accepted off of the waitlist! If one person is accepted to 5 schools, they can still only pick one and end up leaving an open slot at four schools. Multiply that by everyone who has been accepted to multiple programs!

10 hours ago, hellotothefuture said:

Hey thank you for giving some hope. The University faculty, where I wanted to do my MFA, really liked my work and I just messed up big time during interview and I think it was a reason I got into waitlisting. It's a three years fully funded MFA program, mostly research based, which I really liked. 

Now I am so heart broken that I do not have courage to give interview at Hunter this Saturday. 

If you don’t mind sharing, which program is it? 
a lot of the fully funded programs accept only 1 or 2 people so at the end of the day it comes down to so many factors that are out of your control! I hope you get off the waitlist though and have a great interview Sunday. 

2 minutes ago, impliedpaste said:

a lot of the fully funded programs accept only 1 or 2 people so at the end of the day it comes down to so many factors that are out of your control! I hope you get off the waitlist though and have a great interview Sunday. 

Hey! It's MFA sculpture at the University of Notre Dame. I really liked their research based studio practice, small size and location too. I prefer peaceful sites.

5 minutes ago, impliedpaste said:

Yes they do accept one person in sculpture and 6 in MFA

5 minutes ago, impliedpaste said:

Thank you for the wishes. I hope it work out in the end.

42 minutes ago, katfude5 said:

A solid amount of people definitely get accepted off of the waitlist! If one person is accepted to 5 schools, they can still only pick one and end up leaving an open slot at four schools. Multiply that by everyone who has been accepted to multiple programs!

I really appreciate your positive enthusiasm.. I have to wait till April's first week for the final decision.

Edited by hellotothefuture

On 11/5/2021 at 10:39 AM, Eric from America said:

Hey, everyone! I graduated from VCUarts MFA Kinetic Imaging (time-based and new media art) program last spring (2021). This forum was helpful when I was applying, so I'd be happy to pay it back if I can and answer any questions that might help you. In addition to Kinetic Imaging, I also took classes from other departments at VCU like Sculpture and Photo + Film, and I probably had classes with other students from almost every other department (graphic design, painting/printmaking, craft/ceramics/glass/fiber/wood, etc.).

I also have experience all the way through the interview and decision process at other schools I applied to (CalArts, Columbia, Cranbrook, NYU, RISD, SAIC, SVA, University of Michigan), so might be able to answer some questions on those, particularly emerging media, video art, sound art, etc. 

I see some people say they are interested in VCU. VCU's grad open house is Sat. Nov. 13: https://arts.vcu.edu/academics/graduate/virtual-open-house/

Good luck everybody! 

Hi Eric, I saw your posts and it's really nice of you to keep posting even after graduation for the upcoming mfa applicants. I'm Leilei, a newly accepted VCU applicant tho I haven't decided on whether I should go there. I also applied to Kinetic Imaging and have applied to schools like CalArts for experimental animation ( I saw you was accepted by CalArts, tho probably for different major). I guess our backgrounds are sort of similar so your experience will be very valuable for me. 

So one of the big thing I wonder is if VCU KI is well-equipped. I saw that they have a cinema program for BFA, and I wonder if KI students can borrow equipments from their program, as I didn't see very fancy facilities for KI department yet...Also I am an animator, tho my discipline is changing but I might still do some animation work. Do you observe that VCU has enough facility for animation such as stop-motion or good enough computer to render 3D animation? 

Thank you so much! Have a great day :)

1 hour ago, katfude5 said:

This being said,  if you know which school you are ultimately going to attend and are ready to accept.. don’t wait until April! The earlier that schools can lock in their first round of acceptances, the faster they can accept people on the waitlist. 

3 hours ago, mojorelaykd said:

How are low-income international students doing this cycle?

It is second year of me applying and it again seems like a very stretch that I will get anything decent. I have applied to 10 programs and got interviews at almost all. Now I have offers from RISD(assistantship, trying to negotiate), NYU ITP (50%, haven't heard about assistantships yet), SAIC (20%) and rejected from MIT Media Labs. Still waiting on Georgia State, CMU, Stanford, Yale, Pratt, and Parsons. Has any international gotten fully-funded option for MFA or Interdisciplinary Design courses?  Or are there any outside sources you are looking for funding? 

Hi, you have heard back from ITP? When did you hear back from them? 

I sent an email to the professor at a program that rejected me, in their decision letter it stated to reach out to the program-head if I had any questions about the decision. I asked what I could improve upon and what kind of students they were looking for. No response, so I sent a follow up email 7 days later asking if I should message someone else. They replied stating that it isn’t in their practice to give feedback to students who were rejected, partly due to all of the other responsibilities they have in the spring semester. They gave me their best wishes but unfortunately no feedback, darn.

6 hours ago, hibiscusleaves said:

I think the 2 year program decisions came out last Friday, but 3 year program decisions should be out this Friday. And yes they come out at once. Which one did you apply to? And when was your interview?

Not for me! I applied to the 2-year program and interviewed in mid-February. My understanding is that decisions will be sent in early March for all. Honestly a bit suspicious of that entry on the results page, but... either way, will find out soon! Best of luck to us!

I was wondering if anyone had experience with retracting acceptance from a program so that they could attend a different one. Possibly because they received a late waitlist acceptance.

If anyone knows of any rules regarding that, I think it would serve as a great conversation!