2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

16 hours ago, zollllu said:

I feel like UCSD, UCLA, UCB, and Emory gonna start releasing results next week after checking the dates (often Tues/Thurs) from previous years......I am "dying" from anxiety rn ;((((((((

Yeah, I'm also expecting news from these schools and maybe Princeton and UT Austin over the next few days. Fingers crossed for what might be a huge week!

I did not receive interview invite from Notre Dame, so I wrote a letter to ask if they could give me some feedback. They told me that this cycle they are only accepting 5 students for their PhD program in PoliSci, one in each of the subfield, because of covid. 

I am not sure this is the case for all programs but I am desperate.

14 minutes ago, ShowroomDummy said:

I did not receive interview invite from Notre Dame, so I wrote a letter to ask if they could give me some feedback. They told me that this cycle they are only accepting 5 students for their PhD program in PoliSci, one in each of the subfield, because of covid. 

this is horrible!! if so, some other schools likely follow.

12 hours ago, Tipeng Chen said:

Hello, everyone!

I'm an international applicants. I've applied both political science and public administration PhD programs. 

I got an interview with University of Arizona last week. My concentration is public policy and management. Does any body also got an interview? Maybe the professors at admission committee just want to examine my oral English. But I think my performance at the interview sucked. (TAT) I am not sure whether I will get a rejection. They said they will release the offers at early Feb.

I also applied other following political science programs and my focus is environmental politics:

Northwestern, UC Santa Barbara, UC Davis, Chicago, Johns Hopkins U, CU Boulder, Maryland-College Park, Pittsburgh, Colorado State U, TAMU (Public policy and management concentration).

Besides, does anybody know where I can discuss the information of public administration/public affairs/public policy PhD programs with others? It seems that the guys at the "Government Affairs forum" all applies master programs.

Following are the public affairs PhD programs that I have applied:

UMich (Ford school), Indiana U Bloomington, Syracuse, U Washington, USC, Albany SUNY, Kansas, Georgia, Nebraska Omaha, Florida State U, Arizona State U, Rutgers-newark, CU Denver.

If anybody get news from those programs, please do share with me.

Good luck to you guys all and I hope we all can go to our dream programs!! 

Cheers!

For UofArizona did you interview for the Political science program or public administration? 

It looks like UofA has a high ratio of international PhD students, as opposed to some other universities. 

Otherwise has anyone tried getting in touch with UCSB, Northwestern or Michigan to find out when they might release decisions? 

Sigh. I can't do this all over again in a year. 

1 hour ago, modesteffect said:

shoot... just found I wrote "stanford" in my sop submitted to berkeley... ominous..

I submitted a writing sample to UNC with "UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN WRITING SAMPLE" as the header.

Here's to hoping they'll be forgiving of some silly mistakes, lol

Edited by bmo103

1 hour ago, ShowroomDummy said:

Wow, that's brutal... I heard from a POI that many programs would accept smaller cohorts, but a cohort of 5 is scary.

6 minutes ago, LatinAmericanFootball said:

Wow, that's brutal... I heard from a POI that many programs would accept smaller cohorts, but a cohort of 5 is scary.

I've heard a lot of conflicting information regarding the potential brutality of this cycle. A couple of my mentors at my current institution have told me that they don't expect it to be as bad as it was last year, as programs are looking to make up for smaller cohort sizes from the last cycle, or at least return to normal. 

4 minutes ago, zollllu said:

Has anyone gotten a poli Econ subfield interview from Duke? I think there are only American and theory subfields rn...? 

I know somebody who does poli econ and was interviewed. I'm assuming they were interviewed by the poli econ group but im not 100% certain. 

51 minutes ago, jjiffy said:

I know somebody who does poli econ and was interviewed. I'm assuming they were interviewed by the poli econ group but im not 100% certain. 

sigh - I saw someone got an offer without an interview last year, but I don't know how often that actually happens for Duke. I heard from profs that it can be an English oracy test for international applicants, but I am not so sure if that's the case for this year; I also heard that from grad students that sending interview invitation or not may simply depend on specific prof's preferences.

Edited by zollllu

52 minutes ago, jjiffy said:

Off topic: How do you add your schools to the signature? Can't find that option anywhere. Is that only for advanced users maybe? 

2 minutes ago, smallcrown said:

Off topic: How do you add your schools to the signature? Can't find that option anywhere. Is that only for advanced users maybe? 

I wish I could say it is for advanced users only :)

In the upper right corner, hit the drop down menu next to your name and go to profile. Within that page, there will be a banner at the top and in the upper right corner within that there should be a button to edit profile and it will be in that. I think thats how you can do it. 

19 minutes ago, jjiffy said:

I wish I could say it is for advanced users only :)

In the upper right corner, hit the drop down menu next to your name and go to profile. Within that page, there will be a banner at the top and in the upper right corner within that there should be a button to edit profile and it will be in that. I think thats how you can do it. 

I think it might actually be your advanced status. I don't have any signature settings in there. Weird. 

1 minute ago, smallcrown said:

I think it might actually be your advanced status. I don't have any signature settings in there. Weird. 

Oh wait no I am wrong. Hit the drop down menu and it will offer an option to go to account settings. Signature is there. 

Just now, jjiffy said:

Oh wait no I am wrong. Hit the drop down menu and it will offer an option to go to account settings. Signature is there. 

I found it! You're awesome! Thanks. I owe you a beer (or whatever you prefer...)

Back on topic please. I'm actively waiting for emails from UTAustin and Emory. :D