2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

3 minutes ago, Agape9453 said:

they emailed me a reminder of visiting the portal. 
it is a canned reply for rejected applicants. 

Sorry to hear. Good luck on the rest of your apps though. Don't let your first reject get you down, you've got plenty more places left!

11 hours ago, beyondborders said:

Hi! here you go https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/?program=Political+Science. But I don't think Brown interviews everyone that gets an offer so the interview likely doesn't mean anything for the rest of us. 

Actually I posted that. It was just a very quick and brief chat from a member (not named in my SOP) on the committee. He asked me questions like "why PhD", "why Brown", "can you talk a little bit more about the method you mentioned in your SOP". I think I kinda blew that interview as I thought it was mainly about my research interests.

I think the main reason I was contacted is because my SOP is super research interest-focused and doesn't mention anything about my motivation or personal anecdote, so they want to know me more personally. Anyway, I am very grateful that I was contacted...but I don't think this is really a big deal. I think it is still very likely for me to get a rejection from them...as I have already got one (one that ranked way below Brown) and probably more will follow...

31 minutes ago, LM2022 said:

Actually I posted that. It was just a very quick and brief chat from a member (not named in my SOP) on the committee. He asked me questions like "why PhD", "why Brown", "can you talk a little bit more about the method you mentioned in your SOP". I think I kinda blew that interview as I thought it was mainly about my research interests.

I think the main reason I was contacted is because my SOP is super research interest-focused and doesn't mention anything about my motivation or personal anecdote, so they want to know me more personally. Anyway, I am very grateful that I was contacted...but I don't think this is really a big deal. I think it is still very likely for me to get a rejection from them...as I have already got one (one that ranked way below Brown) and probably more will follow...

I am sure getting the interview is a good sign so don't count yourself out, esp not this early on! I hope you hear good news. & Thanks for the update!

28 minutes ago, beyondborders said:

I am sure getting the interview is a good sign so don't count yourself out, esp not this early on! I hope you hear good news. & Thanks for the update!

Thank you for your kind words, hope you can hear good news soon as well!!!

7 hours ago, jjiffy said:

Lmao they accepted me last year, then a month later told me I had no funding, then reject me now. Good arc. 

May I ask when did they accept you? Also around Jan 20th? Did you mention the fact that you were accepted last year?

Just now, LM2022 said:

May I ask when did they accept you? Also around Jan 20th? Did you mention the fact that you were accepted last year?

I mean, mention that to them this year in your application.

9 hours ago, Dickinson said:

Same here. It seems that international students didn't do that well...

Me too. Why do you reckon international students didn't do well? I thought I had a strong application to that specific program and I am surprised by the result. 

2 hours ago, LM2022 said:

Yeah the portal said accepted around jan 20 and then they emailed official acceptance letters maybe a week after. 

1 hour ago, scared_phd said:

Me too. Why do you reckon international students didn't do well? I thought I had a strong application to that specific program and I am surprised by the result. 

Hard to say, but I found very interesting that all rejected are international applicants. They literally cleaned us out ? 

https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/?per_page=20&q=&institution=&program=Political+economy&degree=PhD&season=F22

Edited by Dickinson

1 hour ago, jjiffy said:

Yeah the portal said accepted around jan 20 and then they emailed official acceptance letters maybe a week after. 

Then I guess I am fucked...the website is still fucking pending now...shit

Hi guys, has anyone applied to the university of Arizona? 

Also, what do you guys think of it in general? 

Reading all that I've been reading on the forum here, I've concluded that my chances aren't as strong as I had originally thought at the onset of the application season. 

The UofA sounds the most likely from all the places I applied. And I'm finding myself reaallly hoping to get in

So it would come down to: do you take an offer from a university that was at the end of your list or do you wait a year, do really well on the GRE, publish a bit more and then reapply to a 'higher ranked' university?

Sometimes I feel like that's a simply recipe for loss of momentum, a string of nonsense jobs that you're hoping to leave, an entire year of anxiety and absolutely no guarantees that you'll be a 'better applicant' the year after.

Idk, what do you guys think? 

35 minutes ago, Gryffindor50points said:

Hi guys, has anyone applied to the university of Arizona? 

Also, what do you guys think of it in general? 

Reading all that I've been reading on the forum here, I've concluded that my chances aren't as strong as I had originally thought at the onset of the application season. 

The UofA sounds the most likely from all the places I applied. And I'm finding myself reaallly hoping to get in

So it would come down to: do you take an offer from a university that was at the end of your list or do you wait a year, do really well on the GRE, publish a bit more and then reapply to a 'higher ranked' university?

Sometimes I feel like that's a simply recipe for loss of momentum, a string of nonsense jobs that you're hoping to leave, an entire year of anxiety and absolutely no guarantees that you'll be a 'better applicant' the year after.

Idk, what do you guys think? 

That's a tough question, but I would say to only apply to programs you would be happy to attend in the first place. If you only get in places at the end of your list, I think it only makes sense to decline if you know what were your weak points and you are confident you can fix them for the following cycle, e.g. a weak GRE. Like you said, it's a risky move that might cost you an entire year.

2 hours ago, Dickinson said:

Hard to say, but I found very interesting that all rejected are international applicants. They literally cleaned us out ? 

https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/?per_page=20&q=&institution=&program=Political+economy&degree=PhD&season=F22

Huh, I just saw this. It looks suspicious tbh. Why haven't anybody claimed an acceptance? Or are they gonna send those after the rejections?

I have a friend who has not received a rejection yet (and is international) from Chicago pol econ, so they may be doing it in batches or will send out acceptances at some point. Point is, some have still not heard word. 

Edited by jjiffy

Just now, jjiffy said:

I have a friend who has not received a rejection yet (and is international), so they may be doing it in batches or will send out acceptances at some point. Point is, some have still not heard word. 

Oh this is good to know. All the best luck for your friend.

On 1/19/2022 at 10:52 AM, LatinAmericanFootball said:

I just received this invitation from Notre Dame. It says "This event is for finalists for our program’s 2022 cohort and will allow us to get to know you better and for you to learn more about our program and university." The schedule also includes individual meetings with faculty, so it seems to be almost an interview. Fellow ND applicants should probably check their emails!

Yup, I'd treat the meetings as interviews. Notre Dame is admitting a smaller cohort this cycle. Best of luck!