2022 Application Discussion - Film & Media Studies / Cinema Studies

vampireduck

Hi. I know someone already made a thread for 2022 film and media studies applicants, but it was created a while ago and it doesn't look like it is receiving much attention, so I thought I would make a new thread. 

To which schools are you applying? How do you feel about your application thus far? What are your research interests?

I am not applying to very many schools because I am struggling to find programs that fit my interests. I am very nervous about my few applications.

17 hours ago, larama said:

Up to now I've applied to Berkeley, UCSB, Austin and Indiana. I'm very nervous because I gave up on trying a PhD in my home country to focus on US applications. 

I would hope that you being an international applicant would help your chances, especially since US schools generally value diversity of experience/thought, even at the PhD level.  

Out of the ones you have applied to, I have also applied to UT Austin. May I ask to which emphasis you applied? I am also very nervous, mostly because I did not feel my writing sample was very strong...

4 hours ago, vampireduck said:

I would hope that you being an international applicant would help your chances, especially since US schools generally value diversity of experience/thought, even at the PhD level.  

Out of the ones you have applied to, I have also applied to UT Austin. May I ask to which emphasis you applied? I am also very nervous, mostly because I did not feel my writing sample was very strong...

Thank you! Hopefully your writing is great and you just feel that way because of the anxiety. By emphasis you mean the interests we had to list? I put Global Cinema & Media as my first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 7:01 PM, vampireduck said:

Hi. I know someone already made a thread for 2022 film and media studies applicants, but it was created a while ago and it doesn't look like it is receiving much attention, so I thought I would make a new thread. 

To which schools are you applying? How do you feel about your application thus far? What are your research interests?

I am not applying to very many schools because I am struggling to find programs that fit my interests. I am very nervous about my few applications.

hey!! I am applying to PhD programs in comm or media studies. I have applied to 15 programs lol As an international student, I am very afraid Of not getting anywhere ?

I do not feel very confident about my app. I made some mistakes in my SOP that I realized only few days ago. And my writing sample is not that strong. Well, we see lol 

On 12/7/2021 at 9:31 PM, larama said:

Up to now I've applied to Berkeley, UCSB, Austin and Indiana. I'm very nervous because I gave up on trying a PhD in my home country to focus on US applications. 

I also applied to UCSB, but to the COmm program 

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2021 at 7:18 PM, larama said:

What about you?

Hey, I'm so sorry for the very late reply!

I applied to the Digital Media interest. I was told by a faculty member there that they receive the fewest number of applicants for Digital Media.

Have you heard back from any of your other programs?

5 hours ago, vampireduck said:

Hey, I'm so sorry for the very late reply!

I applied to the Digital Media interest. I was told by a faculty member there that they receive the fewest number of applicants for Digital Media.

Have you heard back from any of your other programs?

Hi, I was rejected from UCSB and probably from UT Austin, because someone posted a interview on the results page. How are your applications going?

6 minutes ago, larama said:

Hi, I was rejected from UCSB and probably from UT Austin, because someone posted a interview on the results page. How are your applications going?

I'm so sorry to hear about USCB. I hope your applications turn out better.

I was also probably rejected from UT because I did not receive an interview invite. 

On 2/5/2022 at 5:19 PM, Galpacino said:

I had an interview with UCLA last week. So so nervous!! The program is my top choice. Did anyone else here have one? 

Hey, congrats on your interview! May I ask if you applied to the MA/PHD track or PHD? I applied to the MA/PHD and haven't heard back. Super nervous! 

On 2/6/2022 at 9:14 PM, Galpacino said:

To the poster above, I applied to the MA/PhD track but my app was (happily) kicked to the PhD pile. I don't believe they interview people going directly into the MA, so you should still have hope. Good luck!!

Thank you so much for your reply. How exciting! I hope you get good news soon. 

23 hours ago, vampireduck said:

Ah, I just got the email from UT that I have been waitlisted! A little annoying but so much better than outright rejection. I had already given up hope because I never had an interview. 

Did anyone else get waitlisted? 

Hi! I also got waitlisted yesterday, for the Masters Program. Pretty disappointed, but trying to take it in stride.

This is a baseless, nit-picky speculative question: I already posted about doing an interview with UCLA, which happened two weeks ago. I noticed on the grad application portal (where you can see your app materials and the date they were received) that the date next to my transcripts changed to 2/9, so a week or so after my interview. I was thinking this meant that they had been viewed by someone. Does anyone have a clue of what that means?