2022 Applicants

2 hours ago, gagne said:

Hi, I’m a bit of a lurker here who applied to MFAs this cycle but do want to go on to do a PhD in the future and so have been lurking here. I’m curious about the prevalence of rejected from PhD accepted to MA. Is there a reason why programs do this ? As someone with a BA and then an unrelated MS Education, a little lost on this practice.

Hey! I am just finishing up my MFA in poetry and going into an English PhD. Do you mean rejected from (English) PhDs and accepted to MFAs, or MAs in English?

4 hours ago, phdapplicant321 said:

Hey! I am just finishing up my MFA in poetry and going into an English PhD. Do you mean rejected from (English) PhDs and accepted to MFAs, or MAs in English?

Yes, that exact pattern. I'm less familiar with MA admissions and so wondering if this admission choice of "rejected from PhD, accepted to MA" is a funding choice on schools' parts

9 hours ago, gagne said:

Yes, that exact pattern. I'm less familiar with MA admissions and so wondering if this admission choice of "rejected from PhD, accepted to MA" is a funding choice on schools' parts

Seems to very much be a funding issue. MAs are partially funded at best, so I think the MA program ends up helping to fund the PhD program.  No idea how many PhD applicants are rejected outright vs. redirected to MA programs -- and it's a box you can check on some program applications but not others, to be considered -- but I imagine the schools expect a much lower yield (% matriculated vs. accepted) for the MA program because of the funding challenges, so they can afford to offer more of these spots. 

(I was offered MA admission at Northeastern and CMU, and I think those may have been the only two programs where I checked the box to be considered -- mostly because it didn't require a separate statement or anything else.)

If anyone is waitlisted for the literature PhD program at UN Reno, I just turned down my offer so hopefully there will be movement happening. 

Also, if anyone has intel on UC Davis's waitlist, I would love to hear! I'll probably reach out to them this week to see if they have any new info, as I'm just waiting on them before committing to UCI.

On 3/10/2022 at 3:19 PM, CoffeeLovingQueer said:

And has it been radio silence for the University at Albany?

Yeah as far as I know, absolutely nothing from Albany yet. They're the last one I'm waiting to hear back from. 

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from Penn? I saw the flood of rejections posted last week and a handful of acceptances a few weeks before, but it is still radio silence on my end and I'm not sure how to interpret it. I want to be hopeful, but what are the odds they are just waiting to reject me in the next wave? 

Congrats to everyone who has recently posted acceptances, though! You all are killing it!

2 minutes ago, katerinas said:

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from Penn? I saw the flood of rejections posted last week and a handful of acceptances a few weeks before, but it is still radio silence on my end and I'm not sure how to interpret it. I want to be hopeful, but what are the odds they are just waiting to reject me in the next wave? 

Congrats to everyone who has recently posted acceptances, though! You all are killing it!

Hi! I applied to Penn's Africana program, not English, but if it helps, I've also been waiting on news from Penn since my interview on 2/10. I haven't seen any decisions on the forum for Africana, either. Last week I emailed the dept's grad coordinator who said that acceptances would come out either last week (nothing, but she did say they were on spring break) or this week. Hopefully English and Africana are on similar timelines!

Hey all,

I have four schools left to hear from, of which I've seen some results posted for each (either an acceptance, rejection, or a question about when the school will give its results).

Any ideas about these scenarios and what it could mean? --

1. Acceptances and waitlists posted from a program (with no rejections posted) that I'm waiting to hear from?

2. Rejections posted from a program (with no acceptances or waitlists posted) that I'm waiting to hear from?

When would be the time for me to email these programs? I don't want to jinx anything by emailing. Any thoughts here? I would like to know soon, if at all, about what the outcomes will be.

2 hours ago, phdapplicant321 said:

What's the etiquette on declining offers? Are you expected to say why you are declining, where you are going... And should you inform faculty who have taken the time to speak to you? 

I emailed explaining that I was worried the stipend wouldn’t cover the cost of living, because that’s a big part of it for me. I didn’t mention other acceptances, although I’m sure they know that’s a part of it. Honestly I don’t think we owe them any explanation.

What are y'all's opinions on reaching out to a program you still haven't heard from to check your status? I don't want to like... urge along my rejection if they are somehow still considering me, lol. But at the same time I have til April 14 to consider the MA programs I was accepted to and I only have one PhD still floating around out there.

28 minutes ago, katerinas said:

What are y'all's opinions on reaching out to a program you still haven't heard from to check your status? I don't want to like... urge along my rejection if they are somehow still considering me, lol. But at the same time I have til April 14 to consider the MA programs I was accepted to and I only have one PhD still floating around out there.

Idk how others feel, but I'd personally say to go for it. I think most schools have a decent sense of where you stand in mid-march (as in whether you're in the "maybe" or "reject" category), so I don't think it would influence their decision 

26 minutes ago, OperaGhost said:

Idk how others feel, but I'd personally say to go for it. I think most schools have a decent sense of where you stand in mid-march (as in whether you're in the "maybe" or "reject" category), so I don't think it would influence their decision 

Perfect. This response gave me the confidence to reach out! At least if it's a rejection I can be put out of the misery of waiting!

On 3/15/2022 at 2:12 PM, heterotopia said:

Hi, postcolonialist here. Turned down Rutgers two days ago.

Thanks for sharing that! I’m not a postcolonialist, so I don’t know if my chances of admissions have gotten any higher. But nevertheless thank you! :)

22 hours ago, katerinas said:

Perfect. This response gave me the confidence to reach out! At least if it's a rejection I can be put out of the misery of waiting!

Update on my own post... it was indeed a rejection. Sigh. That was my last hope for a PhD this cycle, so I guess I'm down to considering my masters acceptances now. What does everyone think? Is taking out loans for a masters worth it, or should I just take the year off and apply for PhDs again in the fall? I'd be looking at like ~$30k to accept one of the masters places I was offered.