NPSIA admissions - Fall 2022

Cautious_Citron

Hi everyone! I am currently getting ready to send my application for NPSIA for the fall 2022 and thought I would start this thread so we can wait it out together! My background: Bachelor's degree in International Affairs and Languages. 4 months internship within the Federal govt. in Ottawa and one semester abroad in Europe. I did some basic volunteer work as well. Good luck to everyone applying!

Edited by Cautious_Citron

Hi @Cake4Life, I had quite a hard time writing my statement of intent as well... I watched a few YouTube videos on the subject which helped me develop a certain structure for my letter and then I made a basic plan before redacting... But that's it. I also found it was better for me to write one paragraph each day than to write it all in the same sitting, but I guess that depends on the person! 

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hey! I'm a little behind on applying, but I'm going to submit my applications for NPSIA and GPSIA this week! I have already submitted applications for the MPPGA at UBC and the MAGG at Waterloo. Glad I'm not the only one who struggled with the personal statement haha

• 2 weeks later...

Applied to NPSIA for fall 2022! When do you all think the decisions will come in? I'm in a bit of a pickle because uottawa accepted my application for their international relations and globalization studies program with a scholarship but they want an answer by the end of February! I really hope NPSIA gets back to us soon because I don't want to just accept the first offer I get

8 hours ago, bobu said:

Applied to NPSIA for fall 2022! When do you all think the decisions will come in? I'm in a bit of a pickle because uottawa accepted my application for their international relations and globalization studies program with a scholarship but they want an answer by the end of February! I really hope NPSIA gets back to us soon because I don't want to just accept the first offer I get

From looking at previous years forums, it seems some people were getting offers near the end of February. Between that and the NPSIA website, I suspect first round offers should all be out by end of March?  I really want to know soon either way though.. I need to plan my life lol. I also want an idea of what my financial situation might be come September. I only applied to NPSIA though. So, if I don't get in, I will likely just keep working and apply again next year.

Good to know that it could come out earlier than the end of March. I've been doing the whole life planning thing for the past few days and it's been fun for the most part. Thank you for your response and I wish you the best of luck! 

Edited by bobu
Spelling

Good luck everyone! I'm in the same position, I applied to NSPIA and GSPIA (and Munk as well), and got my offer from uOttawa earlier this month. I'm really hoping to hear back from NSPIA soon so I can make a firm decision. It's really quiet on the forum here this year which is weird, and there's no other threads for GSPIA or Munk for 2022. Hopefully we all hear back ASAP. If anyone is thinking of going to uOttawa as opposed to Carleton, let me know!! I don't know anyone else who's applied and gotten in so far.

4 hours ago, matchalatte777 said:

Good luck everyone! I'm in the same position, I applied to NSPIA and GSPIA (and Munk as well), and got my offer from uOttawa earlier this month. I'm really hoping to hear back from NSPIA soon so I can make a firm decision. It's really quiet on the forum here this year which is weird, and there's no other threads for GSPIA or Munk for 2022. Hopefully we all hear back ASAP. If anyone is thinking of going to uOttawa as opposed to Carleton, let me know!! I don't know anyone else who's applied and gotten in so far.

Just wondering when you applied to GSPIA? I took courses there last semester as an open studies student and ended up working for one of the professors. I applied for 2022, however, I haven't heard anything back yet. 

12 minutes ago, TBD123_ said:

Just wondering when you applied to GSPIA? I took courses there last semester as an open studies student and ended up working for one of the professors. I applied for 2022, however, I haven't heard anything back yet. 

I think I submitted the last part of my application on January 23rd or 24th. I honestly don't know anyone else who's applied for GSPIA 2022, so I don't know about the timeline this year, but I remember seeing people say last year that they were still rolling out offers of admissions into late February so I'm sure you'll hear back pretty soon!!

Hello everyone! I figured I'd post an update as I received an acceptance from NPSIA yesterday via email. A bit about my applicant profile: 3.84 GPA and honours undergraduate degree in political science from a Canadian institution, strong letters of recommendation, good extracurriculars (non-profit co-founder, community involvement, co-president of a club, etc.), decent work experience (4 internships including one with the U.S. Department of State), and an undergraduate research assistantship. I can't assess the quality of my personal statement but I guess it was passable at the very least ?

Along with admission I received a funding package including a research scholarship, TA positions for both years of the program, two departmental scholarships, and a domestic entrance masters award. I couldn't be more excited; this funding package really sweetens the deal and is making NPSIA one of my top choices (truth be told, I had been looking at academic MAs in political science elsewhere as my top choices). I'm around 75% sure I will be accepting the offer. Best of luck to all of you - you've got this! 

1 hour ago, sargeantpickles said:

Hello everyone! I figured I'd post an update as I received an acceptance from NPSIA yesterday via email. A bit about my applicant profile: 3.84 GPA and honours undergraduate degree in political science from a Canadian institution, strong letters of recommendation, good extracurriculars (non-profit co-founder, community involvement, co-president of a club, etc.), decent work experience (4 internships including one with the U.S. Department of State), and an undergraduate research assistantship. I can't assess the quality of my personal statement but I guess it was passable at the very least ?

Along with admission I received a funding package including a research scholarship, TA positions for both years of the program, two departmental scholarships, and a domestic entrance masters award. I couldn't be more excited; this funding package really sweetens the deal and is making NPSIA one of my top choices (truth be told, I had been looking at academic MAs in political science elsewhere as my top choices). I'm around 75% sure I will be accepting the offer. Best of luck to all of you - you've got this! 

Wow! I can't believe they started sending them already! Major congrats :) 

22 hours ago, sargeantpickles said:

That's amazing! Congrats ?

3 hours ago, Cake4Life said:

Still waiting to hear back hopefully it's soon! I am little nervous about my application to be honest, I don't feel like I provided strong references :(

Oh no!! I'm sure they are still strong!! How come if you don't mind me asking? I used two of my professors I had a close relationship with. One who I worked on organizing a conference and the second I've taken all their classes. I also added a third one for luck lol.

8 hours ago, Cake4Life said:

Still waiting to hear back hopefully it's soon! I am little nervous about my application to be honest, I don't feel like I provided strong references :(

Hey, don't worry too much about that! The admission committee takes many factors into consideration when reviewing applications, even tough I am sure your letters are totally fine. Also, from what I read in past threads, they send admission offers throughout the entire month of March so we just need to be patient and not overthink it! Good luck ?

Update from me! Just received my offer today (anyone else in IEP?) with four scholarships of sorts (no idea what each one is for), a TAship and a research scholarship (not sure if this is for doing research or just a scholarship, since it was just called a scholarship and not a RA). My application moved from Preliminary Review on Jan 27, then moved through to Review in Progress, Recommended for Assessment, back to Review in Progress, then Review by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoc Affairs. Happy to share my stats if anyone is interested but I won't post it for now. 

Good luck to everyone!! Hope to see you all there in the fall :)

7 hours ago, temporarylemon9 said:

Update from me! Just received my offer today (anyone else in IEP?) with four scholarships of sorts (no idea what each one is for), a TAship and a research scholarship (not sure if this is for doing research or just a scholarship, since it was just called a scholarship and not a RA). My application moved from Preliminary Review on Jan 27, then moved through to Review in Progress, Recommended for Assessment, back to Review in Progress, then Review by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoc Affairs. Happy to share my stats if anyone is interested but I won't post it for now. 

That's amazing, congrats! :) I would personally love to know more about your stats so if you don't mind sharing them here or in private it would be great! 

12 hours ago, temporarylemon9 said:

Congratulations!!! I hope to see you there in the fall. I would personally love to know as well. I am mentally preparing myself for a negative answer regarding admissions, so that I am not disappointed lol. Mine is past preliminary review but no movement in 3 ish weeks.