NPSIA admissions - Fall 2022

Cautious_Citron

On 3/3/2022 at 7:24 PM, nck5150 said:

Hi, I also applied for NPSIA (Fall 2022). I think my academics and letters of reference are strong (I currently have a 9.0/10.0 on the uottawa scale [9 being a A, 10, a A+] and I connected multiple times with the profs who wrote my references and had multiple of their classes). However, I don’t have much IR experience, I worked in politics/politics related jobs since the start of my undergrad but never for GAC or the gov. Plus my only relevant extra-curriculars are JDSP. Like many of you, I’m under “Recommended for Assessment” since early February. Should I be worried? I’m starting to get stressed, especially with people saying they already got in. 

I don't think you should be worried! From what I read on last year's forum a lot of people got their acceptance letter mid-march

36 minutes ago, Cautious_Citron said:

I don't think you should be worried! From what I read on last year's forum a lot of people got their acceptance letter mid-march

Great to know! Because from what I’ve read here, so many of those that got accepted have impressive professional resumes and relevant work experience which sadly I don’t have. The only I have going for me is my academics and I fear it might not be enough. But I guess I’ll know sometime soon-ish. 

4 hours ago, nck5150 said:

Great to know! Because from what I’ve read here, so many of those that got accepted have impressive professional resumes and relevant work experience which sadly I don’t have. The only I have going for me is my academics and I fear it might not be enough. But I guess I’ll know sometime soon-ish. 

Don't feel discourage!! My academics aren't the greatest, average at most. I think those who have impressive experiences may be a small % which is why they send those acceptances quickly. 

Hey everyone, I just wanted to write quickly and hopefully be helpful for some people.

I just got accepted into GSPIA wouldn't have had a clue if I didn't sign in and check the portal cause I didn't get an email. So if you're waiting on GSPIA maybe check.

Best of luck, everyone seems very impressive so try not to stress, although it feels like its taking forever (which I agree) it is still early.

8 hours ago, TBD123_ said:

Hey everyone, I just wanted to write quickly and hopefully be helpful for some people.

I just got accepted into GSPIA wouldn't have had a clue if I didn't sign in and check the portal cause I didn't get an email. So if you're waiting on GSPIA maybe check.

Best of luck, everyone seems very impressive so try not to stress, although it feels like its taking forever (which I agree) it is still early.

Congratulations!

8 hours ago, 7s7s said:

Its first week of march and my application still says "preliminary review required", is this a bad sign?

I’m not the most familiar with their review system but that sounds like they haven’t even opened it. But I read from other years that people skip all the steps and get in without much change. Don’t forget to check central. That’s where I get updates. 

Edited by nck5150

1 hour ago, 7s7s said:

@nck5150 thanks for the reassurance! What do you mean check central? Carleton's school portal? or is there a different link I should be checking? Thanks!

Just google Carleton Central and it should be the first link. Log in and check the graduate admissions tab it will show you your application and it's status! (They update that website instead of the Carleton 360 one)

Applied December 31st! Application went from preliminary review to review in progress by department to recommended for assessment. I know Carleton's website explains what this mean but does anyone know if it's good/bad to be at this stage or if it means anything significant?

1 hour ago, letmein333 said:

Applied December 31st! Application went from preliminary review to review in progress by department to recommended for assessment. I know Carleton's website explains what this mean but does anyone know if it's good/bad to be at this stage or if it means anything significant?

It’s unclear. From what I read, a lot of us are in the same place. It’s as though we are in limbo. What I think is possible is that they put everyone in “Recommended for Assessment” if you meet the requirements but aren’t a candidate to which they are ready to give an offer on the spot. Perhaps, after they reviewed every application, they will decide who makes it through the first wave. 

20 hours ago, letmein333 said:

I wouldn't put too much worry into it. As far as I know, "Recommended for Assessment" simply means that your application has passed the initial minimum-requirements test, but it has not been looked at in more detail or assessed by the admissions committee yet. The admissions committee will then pass on their decision to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs, who will approve the decision (admitted, denied, or waitlisted), similar to a professor submitting your "unofficial" final marks to the Dean, who has to approve them before they become official.

Based off of previous years, it is around the week of, and following, the 17th that the bulk of acceptances are sent. This makes sense, as the midterm period is over and there is a bit of a lull in the semester, giving the admissions committee (profs) more time to look at applications. The first week of April usually signals the end of first round offers, until the beginning of May when the second round of rolling offers happens (again, in line with the academic schedule). 

There's no reason to worry, but lots of reasons to be excited! 

19 hours ago, nck5150 said:

It’s unclear. From what I read, a lot of us are in the same place. It’s as though we are in limbo. What I think is possible is that they put everyone in “Recommended for Assessment” if you meet the requirements but aren’t a candidate to which they are ready to give an offer on the spot. Perhaps, after they reviewed every application, they will decide who makes it through the first wave. 

For clarity, when I got in in 2021, I was admitted in April. I definitely don't think I was first-round, but you will hear back through March or April.

For my current PhD application, my status just changed to "review in progress by department" so I hope things are moving (I applied a month late).

Hey everyone :) hope everyone isn’t too stressed (I know I am)

My application went from recommended for assessment to reviewed by department in the past couple days and hasn’t really moved. Also it indicates that my specialization is my second choice one. For context I have a 9.8 gpa on Carleton scale. Anyone know if things look good or bad? Any chance we find out this week? I can hardly wait anymore ?

9 hours ago, Vali said:

My application went from recommended for assessment to reviewed by department in the past couple days and hasn’t really moved. Also it indicates that my specialization is my second choice one. For context I have a 9.8 gpa on Carleton scale. Anyone know if things look good or bad? Any chance we find out this week? I can hardly wait anymore ?

Apparently if your specialization changes, that's a good sign! From looking at previous years posts anyways. What page are you checking to see specialization? I just want to make sure I am checking the right one lol. Are you clicking "view application details" in Carleton central?

9 hours ago, Vali said:

How do you know which specialization you are being considered for? Mine still doesn’t show it. Also, is it possible that they are doing all the applications of one specialization before moving to the next one?

16 hours ago, Vali said:

This is good! Based off previous years, this means you're in! Once your specialization is specified, an official acceptance is usually not far away.

Also, just to give everyone a sense of how applications are moving, I was "Recommended for Assessment" for over a month, but my status changed to "Review in progress my department" this afternoon. 

I am sure we will all see lots of movement over the next week or so!

51 minutes ago, colonelby said:

This is good! Based off previous years, this means you're in! Once your specialization is specified, an official acceptance is usually not far away.

Also, just to give everyone a sense of how applications are moving, I was "Recommended for Assessment" for over a month, but my status changed to "Review in progress my department" this afternoon. 

I am sure we will all see lots of movement over the next week or so!

Congratulations! Hopefully, most of us will get back some news (hopefully positive) tomorrow and over the next week. 

8 hours ago, moon3741 said:

Apparently if your specialization changes, that's a good sign! From looking at previous years posts anyways. What page are you checking to see specialization? I just want to make sure I am checking the right one lol. Are you clicking "view application details" in Carleton central?

Yep carleton central, 

8 hours ago, nck5150 said:

How do you know which specialization you are being considered for? Mine still doesn’t show it. Also, is it possible that they are doing all the applications of one specialization before moving to the next one?

when I click "view application details in central it says "Int'l Organizations and Global Public Policy" next to specialization. 

46 minutes ago, nck5150 said:

Congratulations! Hopefully, most of us will get back some news (hopefully positive) tomorrow and over the next week. 

Idk I don't want to get my hopes up before anything official happens.. I'm sure we'll both hear back eventually just have to focus on other stuff atm I guess lmao