NPSIA admissions - Fall 2022

Cautious_Citron

16 hours ago, TBD123_ said:

Hey, sorry, quick Q. Did you specialization change from your first choice to your second? Or what did it say before it showed a specialization? Sorry if I'm dense and missed it.

I think it gets changed when you’re being considered by the committee. As long as you remain recommended for assessment it doesn’t show you’re specialization. 

Do you guys know if they leave the review for international students at the end? I applied very early, and my application in Carleton Central status is still "preliminary review required." I don't know if I should be worried or not. ?

32 minutes ago, gec123 said:

Do you guys know if they leave the review for international students at the end? I applied very early, and my application in Carleton Central status is still "preliminary review required." I don't know if I should be worried or not. ?

I doubt they would do that. I’d recommend that you email the faculty to inquire on that. Given that everyone else is already in the process and have been for a while, you should ask them. 

I did email them regarding this. This is what they said:

Hello,

Our application deadline was January 31 and applications began being reviewed after this date. First round offers normally begin being sent out in March and second/third round offers are sent out on a rolling basis after this. We cannot give an exact estimate as to when your application will be assessed/when a decision will be made on it. When your application has received a decision, you will be able to see this information in Carleton Central. We do not advise student’s on the status of their application.

Please visit the following link for all information regarding your online application: 

Application FAQ | Graduate Admissions (carleton.ca)

What does “Preliminary Review Required” mean?
Preliminary Review Required refers to an application at the beginning of the assessment process. As your application is processed, this status will be updated. You can keep checking Carleton Central for up-to-date information concerning your application. You can view a listing of definitions of the various application status updates on the application status page.

Kind regards,”

10 hours ago, gec123 said:

Our application deadline was January 31 and applications began being reviewed after this date. First round offers normally begin being sent out in March and second/third round offers are sent out on a rolling basis after this. We cannot give an exact estimate as to when your application will be assessed/when a decision will be made on it. When your application has received a decision, you will be able to see this information in Carleton Central. We do not advise student’s on the status of their application.

Hi, 
I am definitely not an expert on any grad school admissions process. However the impression I am getting from that is that they don't really care about who applied first. It sounds like they didn't begin processing any applications until after the January 31st application deadline. Now they're sorting through all the applications they got to get a general sense for how strong the average application so they can determine their first round applications. I applied in mid January and just went from "Recommended for assessment" to "Review in progress by department" sometime in the last 24 hours. It honestly sounds like they might be reviewing each application in alphabetical order or some other process which doesn't care about when each application was submitted.

Again, this is pure speculation on my part. Regardless, all we can do is wait. I wouldn't worry until the end of March/begining of April.

8 hours ago, Cyrus_and_Citrus said:

Hi, 
I am definitely not an expert on any grad school admissions process. However the impression I am getting from that is that they don't really care about who applied first. It sounds like they didn't begin processing any applications until after the January 31st application deadline. Now they're sorting through all the applications they got to get a general sense for how strong the average application so they can determine their first round applications. I applied in mid January and just went from "Recommended for assessment" to "Review in progress by department" sometime in the last 24 hours. It honestly sounds like they might be reviewing each application in alphabetical order or some other process which doesn't care about when each application was submitted.

Again, this is pure speculation on my part. Regardless, all we can do is wait. I wouldn't worry until the end of March/begining of April.

Is it possible that they go by specialization? That would make a lot of sense given that they have a certain number of places in each. 

Anyone in here apply to Carleton NPSIA's (and Engineering School's) MIPIS program - Master of Infrastructure Protection and International Security? I know this topic is mostly focus on NPSIA applications, but haven't seen much (if anything) on MIPIS on here.

Received an offer last week for it similar to some of the top end offers in here (departmental scholarships, RA, TA, etc.). Very enticing offer, just wanting to know what everyone thinks of the program, and if anyone else has applied!

Good luck to all!

Is it a bad sign if you’re under review by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs but under specialization it still shows « N/A »? I switched to Review by Department earlier today and am now at this step.

Also, do you know how long their review takes?

Edited by nck5150

Just got updated from review in progress to recommended to graduate affairs, it still says a specialization (international organizations and public policy) but it’s not my first choice one. Does that mean I’m in? 

11 minutes ago, Vali said:

Just got updated from review in progress to recommended to graduate affairs, it still says a specialization (international organizations and public policy) but it’s not my first choice one. Does that mean I’m in? 

Last year it did. But this year things seem different, so I am not sure! I hope you're in! :)

11 hours ago, nck5150 said:

Is it a bad sign if you’re under review by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs but under specialization it still shows « N/A »? I switched to Review by Department earlier today and am now at this step.

Also, do you know how long their review takes?

I'm in the same situation as you... I hope it's not a bad sign

5 hours ago, Cautious_Citron said:

I'm in the same situation as you... I hope it's not a bad sign

I've been sitting at "review in progress by department" for literal weeks... This is painful lol. I don't know if this is a good or bad sign, but all we can do is wait I suppose. I just hope I know by the end of the month. 

1 hour ago, moon3741 said:

I've been sitting at "review in progress by department" for literal weeks... This is painful lol. I don't know if this is a good or bad sign, but all we can do is wait I suppose. I just hope I know by the end of the month. 

I'm still at recommended for assessment! I just want my application to move forward and I can't even check because Carleton Central is down ?

Edited by bobu
the site is no longer down

41 minutes ago, colonelby said:

Hi everyone! Just got my acceptance letter for my top specialization (DFP). ~18k in funding, though I will probably decline the TA'ship (majority of the funding) as I will be continuing my current job into the school year. 

Hoping you all receive similarly good news! 

Congratulations!!

out of curiosity, was your application under review by the faculty of graduate and postdoctoral affairs before you received your acceptance? 

Hi all.

I also just got an acceptance letter for my top specialization (CON) with the 18k funding package.

I went from Recommended for assessment to Review in progress by the department to Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs over the last week or so, and I imagine that's the general process for everyone. I only got the specialization after getting to offer of admission.

Best of luck and I hope you all hear back soon!

Awesome to hear that peoples' acceptances are rolling in! I really hope I get some form of response in the next day -- I have to accept or decline my offer from GSPIA by end of day on Thursday. I don't think I want to let that one slide whilst waiting on NPSIA and rely on an acceptance.

1 hour ago, Dueled said:

Awesome to hear that peoples' acceptances are rolling in! I really hope I get some form of response in the next day -- I have to accept or decline my offer from GSPIA by end of day on Thursday. I don't think I want to let that one slide whilst waiting on NPSIA and rely on an acceptance.

I'm in the same boat! Do you think that you'll accept GSPIA for now and wait to see if you get a response from NPSIA??

I am kind of curious. What's the worse that could happen if you accepted the GSPIA offer and then also received one from NSPIA? It's not like GSPIA could force you to attend if you ultimately decide to go to NSPIA right? 

(I am definitely not an expert on grad school affairs though so I hope someone more qualified then I can answer xD)

2 hours ago, Cyrus_and_Citrus said:

I am kind of curious. What's the worse that could happen if you accepted the GSPIA offer and then also received one from NSPIA? It's not like GSPIA could force you to attend if you ultimately decide to go to NSPIA right? 

(I am definitely not an expert on grad school affairs though so I hope someone more qualified then I can answer xD)

2 hours ago, sunp_ said:

I'm in the same boat! Do you think that you'll accept GSPIA for now and wait to see if you get a response from NPSIA??

4 hours ago, Dueled said:

Yes, there is nothing stopping you from accepting one offer and changing your mind later on. It is better to accept and then decline, than miss out entirely waiting on another offer!

7 hours ago, colonelby said:

Yes, there is nothing stopping you from accepting one offer and changing your mind later on. It is better to accept and then decline, than miss out entirely waiting on another offer!

This is good to hear, I'll definitely do that!

10 hours ago, sunp_ said:

I'm going to do the above just to play it safe. 

4 hours ago, readingangel said:

Did you ask any schools for an extension to reply to their offer? Or are you just planning to accept for now?

I'm accepting for now, just received an email back saying "Thank you for your email. You can accept the offer slightly past the deadline. However, please note that scholarships are in limited quantity and you risk losing it if you do not respond by the deadline. We strongly recommend accepting the offer and should you change your mind for any reason, you can simply contact the Graduate Studies Office (scsgrad@uottawa.ca) to inform them you'd like to revoke your acceptance. Most students chose this route as this at least secures their scholarship." so there's no need for an extension.