NPSIA admissions - Fall 2022

Cautious_Citron

18 hours ago, wmd222 said:

Little update from me hehe! Received official acceptance with funding. Best of luck to all :)

Hey, congrats on the offer, quick question : how did your application progress? I'm on recommended for assessment. I have already been accepted to GSPIA but waiting it out for NPISA.

21 hours ago, S. Cerin said:

Hey, congrats on the offer, quick question : how did your application progress? I'm on recommended for assessment. I have already been accepted to GSPIA but waiting it out for NPISA.

Thanks so much!

Submitted my application end of Jan, kinda late than most. Preliminary review for a week, moved to review by department for 2ish weeks, recommended for assessment a bit over a week, back to review by department for a few days, and then review by faculty & post-doc. Acceptance 24 hours later. :) Any more questions just let me know!

1 hour ago, nck5150 said:

My application was moved to Review by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral affairs on Monday, yet I still haven’t received my decision. Should I worry?

Mine was also changed to review by grad on monday, just received my acceptance an hour ago

Congrats to everyone getting their offers! :)

I’m anxious waiting for the decision. My status is still stuck on “Review in progress by department” and the specialization field is “N/A”. I met all admission requirements and applied mid-January, so I can’t help but worry! I got into another Carleton grad program but keep having to push back accepting their offer until I hear from NPSIA…

59 minutes ago, Cautious_Citron said:

Same here! 

Congrats! See you in fall ;) Did they include any info about TA/RA on Carleton Central for you(or anyone else who's reading this)?

46 minutes ago, cuddles492 said:

Do you think that there is a large emphasis on CGPA when looking thru candidates?

I believe the emphasis is primarily on L2, my CGPA is horrendous but I got a 10 on L2 and I got in 

2 minutes ago, cuddles492 said:

Did you have strong work experience ? Did you get your first choice ?

I don't have crazy experience. I've worked throughout undergrad but not relevant to the program, only relevant things I've done is MUN and I'm a research analyst for the G20 Research Group. I got my second choice specialization but it makes sense because in my LOI I indicated the subject matter I wanted to write a MRE on and it was directly in line with my second choice as opposed to my first. 

8 minutes ago, Vali said:

Congrats! See you in fall ;) Did they include any info about TA/RA on Carleton Central for you(or anyone else who's reading this)?

Congrats to you too! ? What's your specialization? Also, all I know atm is that I received a TA award as part of my funding package, but I don't have more info! 

57 minutes ago, coffeechat said:

I’m anxious waiting for the decision. My status is still stuck on “Review in progress by department” and the specialization field is “N/A”. I met all admission requirements and applied mid-January, so I can’t help but worry! I got into another Carleton grad program but keep having to push back accepting their offer until I hear from NPSIA…

Hey! My specialization field was N/A until I got my acceptance, so I wouldn't worry too much about that

Edited by Cautious_Citron

1 hour ago, Cautious_Citron said:

Congrats to you too! ? What's your specialization? Also, all I know atm is that I received a TA award as part of my funding package, but I don't have more info! 

International Organizations and Global Public Policy, how about you? Do you mind me asking where it indicated you got a TA award? Does it say it under student award information or is it in your offer of admission letter? In my offer it says that TA can be included in my admission offer but when I go to see my scholarships it doesn't say anything about TA next to it.. Am I missing something or did I just not get TA do you think?

5 minutes ago, Vali said:

International Organizations and Global Public Policy, how about you? Do you mind me asking where it indicated you got a TA award? Does it say it under student award information or is it in your offer of admission letter? In my offer it says that TA can be included in my admission offer but when I go to see my scholarships it doesn't say anything about TA next to it.. Am I missing something or did I just not get TA do you think?

Mine is IIA! As for the TA award, it appears on the student award information page, under "List of Scholarships, Bursaries, Awards and Other Funding." Feel free to dm me about this if you want!

Hey everyone! I got my acceptance today, with the specialization I wanted (HDHP) and a TA position. I was wondering if someone could share more the experience of being a TA? The advantages and disadvantages? I'm definitely interested but I'm wondering if it would be too much? 

Hi everyone, quick question, and this might not be the place for it, so if it isn't just ignore or admin can take it down, no hard feelings! But I've been accepted to GSPIA and NPSIA and I'm struggling with my decision (I know this has been discussed 100x over) but someone might have an answer for me.

I took open studies at GSPIA last semester and it just felt like a continuation of undergrad, purely academic, nothing was different (granted I only took two classes, a mandatory one, and a special topics, so maybe not the best sense). However, NPSIA is known to be a feeder school for the public sector, specifically GAC. My dilemma is that I'm one of the odd few who wants to go into the private sector as a consultant and not do GAC.

Which school would be most appropriate in your guys opinion? I have 4 days to figure it out. Oops.

Thanks in advance, also, for anyone waiting, there's still lots of time. Additionally, last year I got rejected from NPSIA, and I just want to say that if anyone finds themselves in that position after this year and knows this is what they want, don't doubt yourself and give up! You all seem incredibly smart :)

20 minutes ago, TBD123_ said:

Hi everyone, quick question, and this might not be the place for it, so if it isn't just ignore or admin can take it down, no hard feelings! But I've been accepted to GSPIA and NPSIA and I'm struggling with my decision (I know this has been discussed 100x over) but someone might have an answer for me.

I took open studies at GSPIA last semester and it just felt like a continuation of undergrad, purely academic, nothing was different (granted I only took two classes, a mandatory one, and a special topics, so maybe not the best sense). However, NPSIA is known to be a feeder school for the public sector, specifically GAC. My dilemma is that I'm one of the odd few who wants to go into the private sector as a consultant and not do GAC.

Which school would be most appropriate in your guys opinion? I have 4 days to figure it out. Oops.

Thanks in advance, also, for anyone waiting, there's still lots of time. Additionally, last year I got rejected from NPSIA, and I just want to say that if anyone finds themselves in that position after this year and knows this is what they want, don't doubt yourself and give up! You all seem incredibly smart :)

I know most people depend their decision on funding but from the likes of what you said so far, if NPSIA has been your goal since last year, maybe this time around it's meant to be? Especially if you didn't find GSPIA that rewarding during your open studies. Although NPSIA does feed lots of GAC jobs,  it's not the end all be all. If you do the coop program you might even land a private sector position. I truly believe if you make the right connections, you'll land where you wanna be regardless of which school you end up! We are all in Ottawa anyways. Best of luck on your decision :) 

9 hours ago, TBD123_ said:

Hi there, fellow NPSIA student here. Finishing my second semester in the program.

I came into the program after a few years working in the private sector myself. I can tell you with confidence that not all NPSIA students end up at GAC, not at all. In fact, the faculty, professors and older students seem to guide most students to explore other avenues since working at GAC, especially in your first years, is supposedly an HR nightmare (never worked there, but I've been told). There are a LOT of other opportunities in the public sector from NPSIA, NGO or even private. This program is really what you make out of it.

Regarding your previous comment on the fact that GPSIA seems a bit academic, I can also tell you with confidence that NPSIA is not like that. It is VERY practice-oriented. Most professors are still working outside the faculty in the private/public sector in some way and very connected to it. All course assignments are very up to date and simulations of what you would do in real life (briefing notes, presentations, papers, research, teamwork, etc.). It is a professional school, aimed at preparing you for work environment. Because of this, I do believe it's probably the best place, especially for people coming out of undergrad with no work experience at all (prepare for a rough first semester though!), since the level and assignments will no ressemble so much what you did in undergrad.

Also, now that I am actually working in the public sector, I can also confirm that NPSIA has a very high reputation as pretty much the best place to learn what's going on in international affairs and policy work. But eh, never been to GPSIA, that's just my take!

19 hours ago, coffeechat said:

I am in the same position as you. I have been in "review in progress by dept" for several weeks now with still no speciality assigned. Do you know when they usually send them out? Like, if we don't hear by the end of March does that mean we're waitlisted? Big congrats to everyone hearing about their acceptances!! :)