NPSIA admissions - Fall 2022

Cautious_Citron

10 hours ago, TBD123_ said:

Hi everyone, quick question, and this might not be the place for it, so if it isn't just ignore or admin can take it down, no hard feelings! But I've been accepted to GSPIA and NPSIA and I'm struggling with my decision (I know this has been discussed 100x over) but someone might have an answer for me.

I took open studies at GSPIA last semester and it just felt like a continuation of undergrad, purely academic, nothing was different (granted I only took two classes, a mandatory one, and a special topics, so maybe not the best sense). However, NPSIA is known to be a feeder school for the public sector, specifically GAC. My dilemma is that I'm one of the odd few who wants to go into the private sector as a consultant and not do GAC.

Which school would be most appropriate in your guys opinion? I have 4 days to figure it out. Oops.

Thanks in advance, also, for anyone waiting, there's still lots of time. Additionally, last year I got rejected from NPSIA, and I just want to say that if anyone finds themselves in that position after this year and knows this is what they want, don't doubt yourself and give up! You all seem incredibly smart :)

I would agree with Gradinternational - while some NPSIA students do get an entry-level position with GAC, there are many more opportunities available and the school encourages you to think carefully beyond GAC. Many alumni do end up in government, but the co-op board has many private sector experiences (though I never did co-op as I started my MA working full time). I haven't been to GPSIA, but if you're right that it is more academic focused, I would choose NPSIA. NPSIA focuses on practical experience; many of the assignments are group work, writing briefing notes or presenting to the class. These build up your presentation skills, which are very important in consulting.

33 minutes ago, CD123 said:

I am in the same position as you. I have been in "review in progress by dept" for several weeks now with still no speciality assigned. Do you know when they usually send them out? Like, if we don't hear by the end of March does that mean we're waitlisted? Big congrats to everyone hearing about their acceptances!! :)

Same boat :( I hope I’m not waitlisted ?

18 hours ago, R2D2 said:

Mine has been on "recommended for assessment" for weeks now! Wondering if I got bumped to the second round? ???

Do you know when all of the first round offers are sent? If we don't hear by the end of March does that mean we didn't make the first round? 

I have a quick question to those who applied and got in! (even to those who didn't yet) Did all of you have micro and macro economics while applying? I don't have those two courses but I do have a good grade in International Political Economy. I'm just curious if that's going to be the reason I may or may not get into the MA program.

P.S; I already have an acceptance from UOttawa for a different MA Program but I'm just curious!

3 hours ago, bobu said:

I have a quick question to those who applied and got in! (even to those who didn't yet) Did all of you have micro and macro economics while applying? I don't have those two courses but I do have a good grade in International Political Economy.

I did both micro and macro in my third/junior year - macro in the summer semester - and was admitted in mid- February. If I recall correctly, however, you are allowed to complete the econ requirement in your first semester at NPSIA. 

6 hours ago, bobu said:

I have a quick question to those who applied and got in! (even to those who didn't yet) Did all of you have micro and macro economics while applying? I don't have those two courses but I do have a good grade in International Political Economy. I'm just curious if that's going to be the reason I may or may not get into the MA program.

P.S; I already have an acceptance from UOttawa for a different MA Program but I'm just curious!

I'm taking both economics classes right now. If you are to be accepted, you are placed on a conditional offer until completing both classes with a B- (70%). It says on Carleton Central we have to complete it by Oct 8. 2022.

Edited by wmd222

On 3/18/2022 at 4:45 PM, bobu said:

By the time I graduate in a few weeks I will be done both. I took macro in my first semester this year and am taking micro right now!

On 3/18/2022 at 3:45 PM, bobu said:

Hi! I got in last week, and I've never taken micro or macro - it wasn't required for my program so I'm sure it won't affect you at all! My acceptance to both NPSIA and GSPIA is conditional on me taking an econ course, and for NPSIA I believe both micro & macro have to be taken in the summer before starting. They won't deny you for something like this, don't worry!

My decision has already been « Reported to Department » for a week now according to 360 and it’s currently in « Review by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs » since. Does anyone have an idea why it’s taking so long for them to inform me of their decision? Other people had the information within a day or two…

8 hours ago, nck5150 said:

My decision has already been « Reported to Department » for a week now according to 360 and it’s currently in « Review by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs » since. Does anyone have an idea why it’s taking so long for them to inform me of their decision? Other people had the information within a day or two…

I wouldn't stress if I were you. My application changed to under review by grad and postdoc last monday and I got my acceptance on thursday. You'll likely hear back by the end of the week 

Hey all.  I am not a NPSIA applicant, but I did apply to Carleton for a different MA program.  I applied on February 28, almost one month after the February 1 deadline.  

Here is my timeline so far:
Feb 28 - Preliminary review required
Mar 1 - Recommended for assessment
Mar 17 - Zoom call with department admissions chair - informed me I would be accepted into the program and just needs to go to FGPA
Mar 23 - In the span of about 30 minutes, it went from recommended for assessment, to review in progress by the department, to review in progress by faculty of graduate and postdoctoral studies

The chair of the admissions committee who I spoke with on Thursday said I would probably get the admissions letter by the end of the week.  So now that it is at FGPA, I will see how long that process takes and then will update once I get my letter. 

Edited by Curbyourenthusiasm

On 3/18/2022 at 7:40 PM, R2D2 said:

Yes, I'm guessing that if we don't get an offer by end of March then the application was bumped to second round.

Does anyone know how many people have been accepted/how many people they accept each year? I'm still in "review in progress by dept" and I'm starting to get really nervous that I won't hear anything. Does anyone know if it's just taking longer to get acceptances back this year because of covid disruptions or does it usually take until the very end of March?

I think first round applicants get offers in early-mid March. After this I believe they send offers on a rolling basis til August 31rst. They accept around 140 students each year and I am guessing they get lots of applicants.

Edited by R2D2

Welp. Still haven't heard from NPSIA, but my deadline to accept an offer from another program at Carleton is tomorrow and I can't have any more time. Seems my decision is made! Feels sad not to be able to consider an offer from NPSIA before accepting, international relations had been my goal for the past 8 years, but happy to be going to grad school regardless.

Best of luck to the rest of you. ?

15 hours ago, coffeechat said:

Welp. Still haven't heard from NPSIA, but my deadline to accept an offer from another program at Carleton is tomorrow and I can't have any more time. Seems my decision is made! Feels sad not to be able to consider an offer from NPSIA before accepting, international relations had been my goal for the past 8 years, but happy to be going to grad school regardless.

Best of luck to the rest of you. ?

Just so you know grad school applications are different than undergrad and with many programs you can still decline your offer even after accepting! Check with the specific program to be sure but you can decline your offer if you get another one so long as it's before your term begins

16 hours ago, letmein333 said:

Just checked my application status and it now says "Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs". Does anyone know how soon I should expect to hear back? 

I actually just got the acceptance letter this morning! It's for the MA/JD stream of NPSIA so idk if that makes a difference? I also don't think I received any funding... I'm happy nonetheless :)

1 hour ago, S. Cerin said:

I've been accepted to both Munk and GSPIA, but nothing from NPSIA yet. I'm stuck on recommended for assessment.  Have I been bumped to the 2nd round? I need to make my decision soon.... 

Former NPSIA MA student - I think if you haven't heard by now, you're probably in the second round or later. But they still do send out acceptances as soon as they know how many first round applicants accept. When I was accepted, I got in around late-April or early-May (my undergrad GPA was 3.49/4.00).

I'm now a PhD applicant and I've been in review in progress by department for weeks. I've tried emailing asking if I'll hear back, as their website says PhD applicants should hear back by 31 March but I haven't gotten a response.

7 minutes ago, ah_097 said:

Former NPSIA MA student - I think if you haven't heard by now, you're probably in the second round or later. But they still do send out acceptances as soon as they know how many first round applicants accept. When I was accepted, I got in around late-April or early-May (my undergrad GPA was 3.49/4.00).

I'm now a PhD applicant and I've been in review in progress by department for weeks. I've tried emailing asking if I'll hear back, as their website says PhD applicants should hear back by 31 March but I haven't gotten a response.

To avoid panic - I don't know this for sure. I'm just speculating that most if not all first round would likely have gone out by now. If you haven't got a rejection, it means you are a good candidate (but maybe others who made it first round were just slightly more competitive) and they're waiting to see what space and funding they have to dole out over the next months for the MA program.