NPSIA admissions - Fall 2022

Cautious_Citron

On 3/23/2022 at 9:19 AM, R2D2 said:

I think first round applicants get offers in early-mid March. After this I believe they send offers on a rolling basis til August 31rst. They accept around 140 students each year and I am guessing they get lots of applicants.

Yes I applied late and I wasn't sure if I'd get any funding but I got my offer this week from NPSIA so they might still be sending out offers with funding this month!

I just discovered this forum, and I'm happy to have a place to check in (and whine about the waiting...). 

I have no idea what my chances are of getting in. I finished my undergrad degree (political science) in 1996, and if I get in, I will be 50 when the program starts! I have some decent professional experience, but I had no academic references (only professional references). I'm not even sure how to calculate my GPA because my school used a 9-point scale back then. 

On one hand, I'm trying to be philosophical about it, and on the other hand, I would really like to know so I can plan the rest of my year. My friends and family are very supportive, but honestly, what do they know?

Anyway, I'm just here to commiserate.

50 minutes ago, MiddleAges said:

I just discovered this forum, and I'm happy to have a place to check in (and whine about the waiting...). 

I have no idea what my chances are of getting in. I finished my undergrad degree (political science) in 1996, and if I get in, I will be 50 when the program starts! I have some decent professional experience, but I had no academic references (only professional references). I'm not even sure how to calculate my GPA because my school used a 9-point scale back then. 

On one hand, I'm trying to be philosophical about it, and on the other hand, I would really like to know so I can plan the rest of my year. My friends and family are very supportive, but honestly, what do they know?

Can't say I can help much with the feeling of waiting (we all know it, all too well!) but I do want to say, big congratulations for even thinking about going back to school! I did my undergrad with a few mature students and it was always a pleasure to learn from peers with more experience (yes, older!) than me.

Whether or not you get in, I still think even that is an accomplishment worth celebrating. Good luck with it all!

31 minutes ago, homosapien1234 said:

Can't say I can help much with the feeling of waiting (we all know it, all too well!) but I do want to say, big congratulations for even thinking about going back to school! I did my undergrad with a few mature students and it was always a pleasure to learn from peers with more experience (yes, older!) than me.

Whether or not you get in, I still think even that is an accomplishment worth celebrating. Good luck with it all!

Thank you, you're very kind! I'm hoping I won't be the annoying kind of mature student. I work with a lot of younger people, and frankly, the kids seem very, very smart these days. I'm always delighted to learn from them, too.

I got my answer yesterday but the decision was made 2 weeks prior. Hope that helps. Also, I was wondering, how many people usually get into NPSIA and how many in each field. I got IIA (luckily my first choice) and only one other has said so far that they got it too. 

9 hours ago, nck5150 said:

I got my answer yesterday but the decision was made 2 weeks prior. Hope that helps. Also, I was wondering, how many people usually get into NPSIA and how many in each field. I got IIA (luckily my first choice) and only one other has said so far that they got it too. 

I went to an information session and if I am recalling correctly, the program as a whole might have about 140 people, with around 20 people evenly distributed per discipline. So, while the program is large, the cohort for specializations is smaller. If you don't mind my asking, what was your application status over the last couple weeks? Given they said they already had decision made in that timeframe

11 minutes ago, moon3741 said:

I went to an information session and if I am recalling correctly, the program as a whole might have about 140 people, with around 20 people evenly distributed per discipline. So, while the program is large, the cohort for specializations is smaller. If you don't mind my asking, what was your application status over the last couple weeks? Given they said they already had decision made in that timeframe

It said review in progress by the DGPA. However, on 360 it said that the decision had been returned to the department. Also, idk for others but when I got accepted, they started a new application 

Just a PSA for everyone who may have also applied to the OGS! I just got my award confirmation yesterday. If you applied through Carleton Central they will have sent the email to your Carleton email address; if you applied via the paper package, you'll receive it via personal email I believe. Best of luck to everyone else!!

6 hours ago, temporarylemon9 said:

Just a PSA for everyone who may have also applied to the OGS! I just got my award confirmation yesterday. If you applied through Carleton Central they will have sent the email to your Carleton email address; if you applied via the paper package, you'll receive it via personal email I believe. Best of luck to everyone else!!

I can't seem to find the option to apply for OGS on Carleton Central in the listed graduate awards. Isn't the due date Nov.15? I assumed that the award was not even listed yet as it is so early to apply.

9 minutes ago, R2D2 said:

I can't seem to find the option to apply for OGS on Carleton Central in the listed graduate awards. Isn't the due date Nov.15? I assumed that the award was not even listed yet as it is so early to apply.

The due date is Nov. 15; these awards would be for those that applied for it prior to Nov. 15, 2021, in that round. You'd be eligible to apply this fall though, I would imagine!

On 3/29/2022 at 5:39 PM, MiddleAges said:

Congratulations on taking the step back into academia! It'll sure be interesting to see whats changed (and perhaps whats not changed) since your undergrad!

Has anyone got any updates? Still stuck on in review (PhD applicant).

Still under preliminary review required ? Should I email them or is it too early still?

I applied for DFP as first choice.........could it be because one of my references is non-academic? (it was my manger and she highlighted my research abilities)

Edited by Cake4Life

50 minutes ago, Cake4Life said:

Still under preliminary review required ? Should I email them or is it too early still?

I applied for DFP as first choice.........could it be because one of my references is non-academic? (it was my manger and she highlighted my research abilities)

There's still hope!! I think it doesn't matter is one of them isn't academic as long as they provide a good indicator of how you are as a learner and researcher. However, it may also depend on the workplace and if it is relevant to graduate studies. :)

Hey, 

So I applied toward the end of December but my application is still at Preliminary Review Required. I asked questions but it seems like I just have to wait. I am so stressed. I wanted to apply to uOttawa’s program and now I regret not doing it. 

is there a anyone whose status is still at preliminary review required? 

I have a question. Does the program actually send out rejections once the program is full? Or is there a chance that I will  never get a response from them?

I'm trying to decide what my personal cut-off date would be for accepting a decision. If I don't hear from them by the end of May or end of June, is it safe to assume that I will not be accepted? If I get in, we'll have to find a place to live, figure out if my spouse is coming with me, what to do about my kids' university studies and where they will live if I move, rent or sell my house, etc... It's a lot and I don't know if I can handle it without a reasonable amount of time to plan.  

16 hours ago, Hcmarie said:

Hey, 

So I applied toward the end of December but my application is still at Preliminary Review Required. I asked questions but it seems like I just have to wait. I am so stressed. I wanted to apply to uOttawa’s program and now I regret not doing it. 

is there a anyone whose status is still at preliminary review required? 

Yes, on the front page it says preliminary review required. If I click on the link, though, and look at the second page of information, it says recommended for assessment or something like that. It's been that way for ages, though, so I don't think anyone is actively doing anything with my file.

1 hour ago, MiddleAges said:

Yes, on the front page it says preliminary review required. If I click on the link, though, and look at the second page of information, it says recommended for assessment or something like that. It's been that way for ages, though, so I don't think anyone is actively doing anything with my file.

Okay I’ll try. Because I didn’t see any change on mine ! 

5 hours ago, MiddleAges said:

I have a question. Does the program actually send out rejections once the program is full? Or is there a chance that I will  never get a response from them?

I'm trying to decide what my personal cut-off date would be for accepting a decision. If I don't hear from them by the end of May or end of June, is it safe to assume that I will not be accepted? If I get in, we'll have to find a place to live, figure out if my spouse is coming with me, what to do about my kids' university studies and where they will live if I move, rent or sell my house, etc... It's a lot and I don't know if I can handle it without a reasonable amount of time to plan.  

!I'm not entirely sure if they send out rejection letters but in your situation, I would recommend contacting NPSIA graduate admissions and see if they have any answers. I think you have a valid reason to have an answer sooner than later. Best of luck!! :)