Feminist/Women's/Gender/Sexuality Studies PhD 2022 Cycle

redrosa

Hey all! I haven't seen a thread on WGSS program applications for the 2022 cycle. I know we still have a while to wait but would love to hear what people study/where they've applied and also just have a space for us to share our anxieties as decisions get closer. Best of luck to everyone!! 

On 12/14/2021 at 2:52 PM, ashwel11 said:

I'm applying to one program - Rutgers' Women's, Gender, & Sexuality Studies

Woo! Fingers crossed for you ❤️ 

• 3 weeks later...

I applied to Rutgers, Minnesota, Emory, TWU, U of Arizona, ASU, Ohio, Stony Brook, and Indiana. All WGSS/Feminist Studies etc. Trying to make a shift out of my PhD program in Political Science! 

On 1/4/2022 at 2:56 PM, redrosa said:

I applied to Rutgers, Minnesota, Emory, TWU, U of Arizona, ASU, Ohio, Stony Brook, and Indiana. All WGSS/Feminist Studies etc. Trying to make a shift out of my PhD program in Political Science! 

Nice! What are your research interests out of curiosity? Mine revolve around Black feminism and mental health. 

On 1/5/2022 at 8:54 PM, ashwel11 said:

Nice! What are your research interests out of curiosity? Mine revolve around Black feminism and mental health. 

Thanks! Mine mostly focus on reading queer archives as protest, but lately I've been doing work on fugitivity as refusal through the lens of Black feminist theory and queer of color critique. 

Hello, I'm so glad I found this! I'm a second year MA Gender Studies student here at MUN in Canada (I'm American though). My work is centered on queer masculinities and sexuality studies. The last time I applied was during the 2019-2020 school year, I applied to a mix of MA/PhD programs. I got rejected to 3 PhD programs then, but I feel better prepared now. I applied to 16 PhD programs (I'm crazy). I just finished my last app Thursday, in fact. I've been told a lot of programs have around 80-100 apps and only 2-3 spots, so that's the reason I wanted to apply to so many. Also, I know last year a lot of programs weren't accepting new cohorts due to the pandemic, so I thought there could even be more apps this year. 

I applied to mostly all Gender Studies programs.

American Universities: Oregon State, UCLA, UCSB, University of Arizona, Minnesota, Rutgers, Indiana, Kentucky, Buffalo (Global Gender Studies), Yale (Combined American Studies/Gender & Women Studies), and Stony Brook. 

Canadian Universities: University of Toronto, McGill (Sociology with an emphasis in Gender and Women's Studies), York, UOttawa, and Guelph (Social Practice and Transformational Change with a specialization in Sexualities, Genders and Bodies). 

Canadian schools tend to give 4 years of funding VS 5 in the USA, so that may be a factor come decision time. 

I was reading last years thread and some programs started to do interviews at the end of January. Fingers crossed everyone. I wish the best for everyone. People don't quite understand how competitive our field is. 

Edited by hiddenpalms

Hello! I have some good news. I just heard back from my first school (UOttawa) and they accepted me! 

I'm very excited that I'll be going somewhere! However, they want a decision by Feb 4. I won't even hear back from all my schools until April.

How would you go about this? I'm going to ask for an extension for sure.

Okay, listen y'all. This is my third admission cycle applying. I have been rejected in the last two years. In the past, I applied to UCLA, UCSB, UCSC, Rutgers, UArizona, Oregon State University, University of Washington, and University of Maryland. This cycle I applied to 4 PhDs and 3 MAs in Gender Studies just in case. I already got rejected by University of Texas at Austin two days ago. Over time, these rejections have changed me and I am losing respect for academia at this point. My entire objective is to impact students from all different cultures and backgrounds and I have a job now that allows me to impact even more students and I am in an environment where people ACTUALLY think I am talented and worthy. Academia is becoming a joke so if I am gonna get rejected all over again, that's fine. This way I do not have to live off some awful stipend and feel anxious in a hierarchal system where no one really acknowledges your work. But if this is for you, best of luck lmao

On 1/15/2022 at 8:58 PM, hiddenpalms said:

Hello! I have some good news. I just heard back from my first school (UOttawa) and they accepted me! 

I'm very excited that I'll be going somewhere! However, they want a decision by Feb 4. I won't even hear back from all my schools until April.

How would you go about this? I'm going to ask for an extension for sure.

First of all - CONGRATS!!!

Oufff. That is tricky. I would ask for an extension and say that while you're so excited and while you absolutely want to attend you want to hear back from other universities first so you can evaluate funding choices? Or something similar? When do you anticipate hearing back from your top choices? 

4 hours ago, redrosa said:

First of all - CONGRATS!!!

Oufff. That is tricky. I would ask for an extension and say that while you're so excited and while you absolutely want to attend you want to hear back from other universities first so you can evaluate funding choices? Or something similar? When do you anticipate hearing back from your top choices? 

Thank you! I asked and basically I was told that I can accept now and always decline later, so that's what I plan on doing. The biggest problem after doing the math is the funding. They give me 21.5k CAD, but you still have to pay tuition so your TA stipend is just about 12.5K CAD after and that's not even enough to pay for rent. From my understanding from talking to people in the US, your tuition waiver and your stipend are separate where as here it's not. I was told that they may be able to match other offers, but not sure if that includes American programs. 

I have no idea what the timeline is. When I applied to 3 PhD programs in 2019-2020, I got rejected to all 3 and it was in Jan (Emory), end of Feb (UW), and April (UCSC; even after April 15th). I've heard Rutgers and Indiana require interviews, but I'm not sure besides that. It doesn't exactly state on the website which programs require interviews. I'm just anticipating them to come on in gradually, but they could all come in at once. Honestly not positive because every school is different.

I wish you nothing but the best @anxious_chic. I know how hard this process can be. 

Edited by hiddenpalms

Just got my rejection from Minnesota. I sort of knew that was coming so not the worst news? Good luck to those of you that also applied there - my fingers are crossed for you :)

Thankfully this blow was softened by the call I got on Wednesday from Stony Brook (accepted with full funding)!

Good luck out there @anxious_chic. It is a heinously grueling process. 

7 minutes ago, redrosa said:

Just got my rejection from Minnesota. I sort of knew that was coming so not the worst news? Good luck to those of you that also applied there - my fingers are crossed for you :)

Thankfully this blow was softened by the call I got on Wednesday from Stony Brook (accepted with full funding)!

Good luck out there @anxious_chic. It is a heinously grueling process. 

I just got rejected from Minnesota too, LOL. So happy I'm not alone. ?  Your first rejection hurts a little bit. 

Hello, I am also applying to WGSS, and all I applied to is MA program because I feel I would be rejected by PhD (it's been insane) I hope MA program can be kinda lenient lol, I've edited my PS for a lot times and hope it works, I hope all of you can get into dream program.

I just submitted my application to Rutgers (MA) and hope I can get into (literally panic attack

Edited by lehakua

7 minutes ago, lehakua said:

feel I would be rejected by PhD (it's been insane) I hope MA program can be kinda lenient lol, I've edited my PS for a lot times and hope it works, I hope all of you can get into dream program.

I just submitted my application to Rutgers (MA) and hope I can get into (literally panic

Hello, I got accepted to Buffalo's Global Gender Studies PhD tonight. 

However, they are providing no funding. It says "our funding to support graduate students is unfortunately limited, and we are unable to offer you financial support at this time"

I honestly wasn't expecting to get in at any institution and then receive zero funding. I had heard that some programs won't even accept you if they don't give you funding. At least I wasn't rejected. I'm just disappointed.   

Edited by hiddenpalms

21 hours ago, bluekayla said:

So glad I found this thread. Has anyone heard from Rutgers or University of Arizona?

Still waiting on both of them! I think they are Feb 15ths? Although Rutgers has done interview requests this week in the past?

16 hours ago, bluekayla said:

Oh wow, they did? Interesting, I didn't get any invites lo. Hopefully we hear back soon. 

I just got waitlisted at University of Arizona and was invited to attend their recruitment fair in March.