Feminist/Women's/Gender/Sexuality Studies PhD 2022 Cycle

redrosa

hope everyone is hanging in there ❤️ i just discovered this thread & i really appreciate the community. i applied to 3 gender studies programs and then a mixed bag of other programs--english, communication, cultural studies, etc. i was put on the waitlist for ucla's gender studies program (and it looks like someone else has been too according to the results forum). that's my top choice so really hoping to get in *fingers crossed*. earlier in january i heard from ucsb's feminist studies department that i was a finalist, but they said they weren't making final decisions/wouldn't know more about funding until the end of feb/early march. sending good energy to everyone! this waiting period is brutal. 

Hello, I just got rejected to UCLA. Ugh. Why do they keep rejecting me in the middle of the night!? ?

On the bright side, I didn't think I could afford the cost of living of Los Angeles anyway lol. It doesn't feel good that UCSB sent out a "finalists" e-mail in January. It's a top choice for me (but also high COL). 

I was talking to a prof yesterday about this site and she didn't think it was helping me in a positive way re: stress. I really do appreciate the community we have here, but it doesn't feel good always reading some of the updates. I have to remember these rejections aren't personal. If I recall, UCLA gets like 80-100+ apps with few spots.

Hope everyone has a dandy weekend. I have thesis work to do. 

@hiddenpalmsi’m so sorry if i added to your stress! i ultimately thought it was better to share than keep the info to myself. i’m sorry about ucla (and in the middle of the night, too?!!!) and i REALLY feel you re: not knowing if the site is the best for mental health. i have gone back and forth a number of times. remember to do what’s best for you while getting through this really challenging waiting period. hang in there ❤️

I just got rejected to Stony Brook. I think this is expected given the acceptances here were Jan 19 and I applied on Jan 13 (deadline was the 15th). It was the last school I applied to. I always wondered if they started reviewing before the deadline though. Because how else would they have reviewed my app so fast?

They said, " Your application was very well presented, and our inability to offer admission reflects the intense competition for a limited number of openings. You are to be commended for your achievements so far. We encourage you to continue your studies and are confident you will find another graduate program to match your interests and excellent qualifications" which was at least nice.

Ugh. I really need more acceptances. I have heard from the grapevine that Yale's PhD in American Studies (combined with WGS) will come out this week.

i am kinda losing hopes about ohio state/oregon state, they have not posted updates till now, i am still waiting for their decision, though i am not likely to go even if they accept me, still waiting for rutgers and other schools that i am more likely to go

good luck everyone!

I just got rejected to Guelph's PhD program in Social Practice and Transformational Change. I'm a little surprised b/c my potential supervisor told me I had a really good shot of getting in and that he would vouch for me which is why I applied.  

8 more PhD programs to hear back from. UOttawa is still my only option given Buffalo gave me no funding, so I'm hoping Oregon States takes me off the waitlist.

Has anyone heard anything from Rutgers since @lagom_lagom's acceptance? They're the last program that I have to hear back from, and would like to move forward with my choice if I'm going to get a rejection ? (I only got into one school, so would like to make it official soon.) 

2 hours ago, ashwel11 said:

Has anyone heard anything from Rutgers since @lagom_lagom's acceptance? They're the last program that I have to hear back from, and would like to move forward with my choice if I'm going to get a rejection ? (I only got into one school, so would like to make it official soon.) 

I'm also still waiting although I'm expecting a rejection at this point so it's not really factoring into my decision-making process. That secret waitlist isn't looking too likely ?

2 minutes ago, SportySpice said:

I'm also still waiting although I'm expecting a rejection at this point so it's not really factoring into my decision-making process. That secret waitlist isn't looking too likely ?

Lol I know right ? Guess it was just a dream. I'm just going to start preparing for my other school until I hear otherwise. 

I emailed Rutgers yesterday night. I emailed the graduate coordinator called Ed . He replied with the email below:

"Thanks for your interest in our program.  We had over 100 applications and could only admit 3 new students so we could not admit many highly qualified candidates.  Unfortunately, you were not one of the finalists.  You should be receiving an official letter from the Grad School in the near future.  All the best with your endeavors". 

I have yet to hear from Rutgers either. I'm also waiting to hear back from Indiana, Kentucky, UCSB, University of Toronto, and York (in Toronto) for Gender/Feminist Studies.

My friend goes to Indiana and said their recruitment event is on the 4th, so that's not the best sign. UCSB had the finalist e-mail in January. I saw a post from York a couple weeks that they were accepted and it was an international student and they only accept two international students. Kentucky I've heard an international student got rejected (via the results), but that's it. I know nothing about UoT, but last year supposedly people didn't find out until MAY!? 

My same friend has told me that nothing is final until you get that letter, so I will remain optimistic but rational at the same time. 

Edit: Thanks for letting us know, Kayla.

Edited by hiddenpalms

56 minutes ago, bluekayla said:

I emailed Rutgers yesterday night. I emailed the graduate coordinator called Ed . He replied with the email below:

"Thanks for your interest in our program.  We had over 100 applications and could only admit 3 new students so we could not admit many highly qualified candidates.  Unfortunately, you were not one of the finalists.  You should be receiving an official letter from the Grad School in the near future.  All the best with your endeavors". 

Thank you for sharing Kayla. Unsurprising at this point. 

Good luck to everyone still waiting on decisions.

8 hours ago, bluekayla said:

Thank you so much for this!! I can have some peace now lol.
Good luck to those still waiting on decisions

On 2/4/2022 at 11:10 PM, SportySpice said:

Hey all, I got an offer from Oregon State yesterday so that's pretty exciting. I'm still waiting to see their funding offer! Anyone heard anything from Emory, UMD, or  Rutgers yet?

Hello, have you gotten your official letter yet, i was also accepted to the Nutrition program but I'm yet to receive the funding offer and official letter 

7 hours ago, Oyefunmi said:

Hello, have you gotten your official letter yet, i was also accepted to the Nutrition program but I'm yet to receive the funding offer and official letter 

Hey, I got the actual contract offer to sign which I found slightly weird. The official admission letter hasn't come 

I got a rejection from Ohio a couple of days ago and an acceptance to TWU. Does anyone know anything about their program? Also - has anyone heard from Indiana? Sending big hugs to everyone still waiting to hear back from places ❤️