Feminist/Women's/Gender/Sexuality Studies PhD 2022 Cycle

redrosa

Is anyone else still waiting on any programs? I pretty much know Rutgers and Indiana are going to be rejections obviously and I assume the same for UCSB due to never receiving that finalist email. 

So I'm still waiting on York, UoT, McGill (Sociology) and UKY. I recently found out Kentucky's program had a second deadline of March 1st? Their priority deadline was Dec 1st for fellowships and assistantships, but I guess they let folks apply until March 1st. I am the most optimistic about this program because of that deadline. I've heard nothing re: UoT and it doesn't seem many other people here applied to Canadian programs. 

I have my virtual recruitment event tomorrow with Oregon State. I'm still waitlisted there though. 

I'd like another offer because uOttawa said they will try to match other funding packages (unsure if it'll work if it's American though). I will go to uOttawa if it's my only choice, but I'm just worried about the high cost of living.

I wish everyone the best of luck with their decision making. 

On 3/6/2022 at 6:33 PM, hiddenpalms said:

Is anyone else still waiting on any programs? I pretty much know Rutgers and Indiana are going to be rejections obviously and I assume the same for UCSB due to never receiving that finalist email. 

So I'm still waiting on York, UoT, McGill (Sociology) and UKY. I recently found out Kentucky's program had a second deadline of March 1st? Their priority deadline was Dec 1st for fellowships and assistantships, but I guess they let folks apply until March 1st. I am the most optimistic about this program because of that deadline. I've heard nothing re: UoT and it doesn't seem many other people here applied to Canadian programs. 

I have my virtual recruitment event tomorrow with Oregon State. I'm still waitlisted there though. 

I'd like another offer because uOttawa said they will try to match other funding packages (unsure if it'll work if it's American though). I will go to uOttawa if it's my only choice, but I'm just worried about the high cost of living.

I wish everyone the best of luck with their decision making. 

Expecting a rejection from Rutgers too but definitely weird how long it's taking. Waiting on Maryland's waitlist to shift (fingers crossed).

I hope you hear back soon and good luck to everyone.

@SportySpice @ashwel11 Dang I'm so sorry to hear that! I definitely would have expected a more personal touch. 

For those on waitlists: How are you navigating waiting on waitlists to shift? Are you setting a date for yourself to decide regardless of whether or not you've heard from those schools? This question goes for other folks too! Asking because I am feeling unsure how I much/for how long I want to wait on schools that have waitlisted me. Especially cause I want to decide in time for programs I'm not going to to admit fabulous applicants from their waitlist. 

14 minutes ago, lagom_lagom said:

@SportySpice @ashwel11 Dang I'm so sorry to hear that! I definitely would have expected a more personal touch. 

For those on waitlists: How are you navigating waiting on waitlists to shift? Are you setting a date for yourself to decide regardless of whether or not you've heard from those schools? This question goes for other folks too! Asking because I am feeling unsure how I much/for how long I want to wait on schools that have waitlisted me. Especially cause I want to decide in time for programs I'm not going to to admit fabulous applicants from their waitlist. 

Maryland is still one I am holding out for. I plan to wait until the end of the month because I have recruitment events at other programs. I hope to hear from them one way or another. 

As for UW, I intend to relinquish my waitlist spot by the end of the week.

Also denied at Rutgers LOL. 

"Your application has been reviewed, and the committee has denied admission."

If I didn't check this thread, I wouldn't have even checked my portal. I cannot believe they didn't even send an email. On the plus side, I got an application fee waiver. 

Second rejection today (McGill rejected me for Sociology). 

16 hours ago, SportySpice said:

Maryland is still one I am holding out for. I plan to wait until the end of the month because I have recruitment events at other programs. I hope to hear from them one way or another. 

As for UW, I intend to relinquish my waitlist spot by the end of the week.

Yeah my feeling is a lot of people are waiting till the end of the month, getting a pulse on what programs are really like and whether they want to commit 6+ years to them. So I bet waitlists will move the beginning of April, that just seems so far away! Fingers crossed for you re Maryland. 

10 hours ago, hiddenpalms said:

University of Toronto just rejected me. 3 rejections in one day. It doesn't feel great. 

wow that pile on sucks! I dont know if it helps for a stranger to say this, but those rejections are not indicative of your worth or your potential at all. Hang in there, you've got good things coming. 

Hello, I just got waitlisted at Indiana! I'm totally shocked and ecstatic!!! Indiana has always been a top choice. I thought they already had their recruitment event (but maybe I was wrong) and someone posted in here that Indiana already gave out all their acceptances/waitlists. 

Nothing is a for sure thing until you receive that e-mail or portal notification. 

Also I would like to note that I never had an interview here. 

Edit: Thank you @lagom_lagomfor the kind words. 

Edited by hiddenpalms

I was just checking my Kentucky portal and I got rejected (it was posted on the portal today). They didn't even send an e-mail. Is that too much to ask for after we put so much into these apps? As we know, Rutgers didn't either. I don't think we can blame the departments though b/c it's the Graduate Schools that send most of these rejections. 

I just have York and UCSB to hear from now.

Edited by hiddenpalms

I was only accepted to Buffalo and wasn't funded. I'm an international student and I will be kicked out of the country in December if I don't find another program. Does anyone know any WGS PhDs that accept Spring admits in the US?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! It's a waiting game for me. I'm still waiting to see if I get off the waitlist for Indiana and Oregon State. Indiana is my top choice. At this point in time if I don't get off, I'll be attending uOttawa. 

I emailed York and they're still in the midst of the app process. There's only two VISA spots, but they said they were impressed with my application. They said they should be updating apps by next week. I still haven't heard from UCSB, but I know it's most likely a rejection. 

Edited by hiddenpalms

Hi everyone. I didn't apply this year but would like to explore applying next year. My research interests are very interdisciplinary and I'm not sure what to do. I want to contribute to scholarship in motherhood studies. Not sure if I should apply to a) a WGS program, b) a sociology program c) go for a Ph.D. or a master.

Just because this field is so niche, I don't know the steps I should take. I've also been out of school for so long, I don't think I could get academic references. My plan was to apply to a MA program (maybe a liberal studies) program and go from there?

I feel so passionate about this field and find it so hard to actually get into the environment to research it! Any advice?Thanks and good luck!

I e-mailed UCSB this weekend and I got a reply back yesterday that they only had 3 spots and I was not selected. They didn't have staff supposedly and I got a real letter today. So I'm finally done with hearing back from everyone. 

I'm really crossing my fingers that I get off Indiana's waitlist. I don't want to be disappointed though. On Oregon State's letter, it said I may not even know if I'm off the waitlist until April 30 which is odd. It is likely that I may just end up at Ottawa.

@freedom110 I would suggest applying to MA Gender Studies programs. There are a lot more MA programs VS PhD programs in Gender Studies. In 2020, I applied to a mix of MA/PhD programs, so you could do the same. However, it's such a competitive process. I applied to 16 programs (most were gender/feminist studies) and I got accepted into two programs (one without funding), waitlisted by two, and rejected by twelve. I would definitely look into some other interdisciplinary programs (you may want to check out American Studies). I don't regret applying to so many because of how competitive these programs are. Like you said it's very niche. Rutgers had 100+ apps and accepted 3. Arizona had 47 and accepted 3. I know Oregon State only accepted 4. Indiana has a cohort of 4-5. Good luck.

On 3/31/2022 at 11:51 AM, freedom110 said:

Hi everyone. I didn't apply this year but would like to explore applying next year. My research interests are very interdisciplinary and I'm not sure what to do. I want to contribute to scholarship in motherhood studies. Not sure if I should apply to a) a WGS program, b) a sociology program c) go for a Ph.D. or a master.

Just because this field is so niche, I don't know the steps I should take. I've also been out of school for so long, I don't think I could get academic references. My plan was to apply to a MA program (maybe a liberal studies) program and go from there?

I feel so passionate about this field and find it so hard to actually get into the environment to research it! Any advice?Thanks and good luck!

Hello! You seem so passionate and I'm excited for your journey. Definitely reach out to different faculty and students in the departments you may like and get a feel for what might best support the work you'd like to do. I'd always recommend an MA before a PhD because it is a shorter commitment and can give you the best indication of whether you want to even get a PhD.

On a more specific note, the chair of WGS at the University of South Florida is a motherhood scholar and may be worth speaking to as least to provide some guidance. I wish you the best of luck! 

Hello, I found out Monday I was taken off the waitlist at Indiana and I have committed. I never did hear back from Oregon State, but I let them know that I have decided to go to IU. 

I'm super excited about Indiana! I wish everyone else nothing but the best. This was a tough and grueling process. It wasn't my first time applying to PhD programs and I'm certainly glad it's my last. Hope to hear what everyone else decided. Wish you all the best of luck this fall!