Dressing the Part . . . for Girls!

I thought the other thread was a great idea, but it seems very "boy-focused." I figured it might be better if someone started a separate thread for girls.

I'm hoping to revamp my wardrobe as well and give it a more "academic professional" look. Basically, I'm looking for clothes that are "nice, but not TOO nice." I'm worried that fancy designer clothes will not only break my wallet, but also make me look a bit too pretentious ("How does she have the time/money to dress like that? Does she even bother to open a book?"). I tend to overthink things and I may be doing so here. But does anyone have any ideas of kinds of clothes that will look professional, but at the same time not look like I have a personal shopper and a 6 figure salary?

I thought the other thread was a great idea, but it seems very "boy-focused." I figured it might be better if someone started a separate thread for girls.

I'm hoping to revamp my wardrobe as well and give it a more "academic professional" look. Basically, I'm looking for clothes that are "nice, but not TOO nice." I'm worried that fancy designer clothes will not only break my wallet, but also make me look a bit too pretentious ("How does she have the time/money to dress like that? Does she even bother to open a book?"). I tend to overthink things and I may be doing so here. But does anyone have any ideas of kinds of clothes that will look professional, but at the same time not look like I have a personal shopper and a 6 figure salary?

I'm a fashion conscious person myself, and I don't have any problem with people thinking badly of me if I dress "too well." Everyone has their hobbies; that is one of mine. That being said, I would recommend not worrying about the possibility of looking "too good." There are far too many people who look frumpy in academia, and there is certainly no correlation between frumpiness and intelligence.

As far as what to buy in order to look put together without breaking the bank, I would recommend starting with a list like this http://womensfashion...ntial_elements. You can find several similar lists that basically tell you to buy a handful of interchangeable pieces. My recommendation would be to start with one of each of the following in a style that looks professional: pair of slacks, skirt, dress, and dress shoes. A blazer that matches one or more of the previous items would take that list a step up. I would also recommend two or three dress long sleeve dress shirts and two or three short sleeve dress shirts. You may also want a cardigan or two that will go well with several of the shirts.

As with men, good places to shop include thrift stores and discount stores (i.e. Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Nordstrom Rack). For women's clothing, I would also recommend New York and Company. Although their clothes and accessories can priced higher than they're really worth, they have fairly frequent sales and frequently give you a discount on future purchases when you buy something or when you get on their mailing list, such as 30% off a purchase of $50+. If you are near an H&M, their clothes are very reasonably prices, and they always have a handful of professional pieces, although that's not their main focus.

I would also recommend taking advantage of sales when you can. Many stores are having seasonal sales right now. In addition to the stores you might ordinarily try, such as department stores, you might also try stores that aren't normally so reasonably price, such as Banana Republic or Victoria's Secret (they actually have really great professional attire). I would also recommend checking out post-Christmas sales. I was able to buy a very nice suit for about $50 at a New York and Company after Christmas sale.

When you do shop, I would recommend trying everything on. Not only are their variations in size, but different cuts, colors, or shades of a color look different based on body types and coloring. I would also recommend getting things tailored. I don't do this often, but one item that I absolutely have to get tailored is my slacks. At 5'2", most pants are too long (even if they're marked short). This can be done at most drycleaner's.

Edited by VictorianTess

I'm just looking forward to wearing some of the jewelry I've been obsessively accumulating over the last few years. My restaurant job didn't allow for much creativity, especially in that department, so now I get to rock out with scarves and brooches and all sorts of other schtuff. If I'm going to be sporting some very basic and interchangeable "professional" pieces, I at least need to be able to accessorize and not feel like I'm wearing the same thing every damn day.

On that note, I just bought two very simple and flattering fitted blazers (one grey, one medium brown, both with a nice tweedy pattern) that were originally $60 apiece and I got them for $24 instead at s 60% discount. Kohl's has had amazing sales lately, and they're becoming my new go-to place for that lower to middle price range of clothing that is still made well enough to hold up for a few years. I find that Ross and TJ Maxx have some very reasonably priced knit tops that will last for a few years if you check the quality in-store and don't pay for something with pulled seams or whatever. This is my opinion, and maybe it's just in my area, but I find that the button-up and otherwise fitted woven shirts in those particular stores are extremely hit or miss. Woven fabrics and fitted styles are so much less forgiving when you're not paying outright for quality, and I've only had a few lucky finds in that department.

I still haven't found a place with pants that I like-- hence my frequent use of skirts-- but I need to head up to the outlet malls soon and see if I can find SOME sort of dress pants that fit.

I gotta say, I've seen a lot of those "7 essential closet must-haves" articles with the "black/navy blazer, white button-up, black/navy skirt, black/navy pant, black shoes, cashmere sweater and a trenchcoat" type lists. While I agree that those ARE good staples for many women, I've always thought outside of that list and still been able to do a lot of mixing and matching. I can find just as versatile of a wardrobe with colors and earth-tone neutrals as I can with the white/black/navy palette that is just so unflattering on my coloring. Besides, that combo always reminded me of either school uniforms or stewardesses.

Find the flattering fits, find the flattering colors, and question the hell out of the purchase if you're breaking some of your own shopping rules. That's my method of getting my money's worth.

Good second-hand stores can be magic! I definitely recommend checking out second-hand stores all over town and try on lots and lots of things. They make their money buying and selling nice quality clothes, so you could also see if you can trade in clothes you don't want to wear anymore for store credit or cash.

Outlet Malls are great! Craigslist can be an interesting way to find unique accessories, jewelry, or clothes. Try hosting a clothing swap at your school or with a group of friends.

Other good places to pick up key pieces...

Gap

Anne Taylor Loft

H & M

Urban Outfitters

JCrew (their sales can be really good)

Express/Limited

NYC

(Most of these have good to great sale racks)

Remember, good fit is a key part of what makes a piece look good. You will have to try on a ton of things!

Think versatile. When you buy a piece, how many different ways can you wear it?

Accessories can help dress up or dress down a lot of clothes, so that is a cheaper way of giving yourself a wardrobe make-over.

And shoes...*sigh*.... I love shoes. And they can really help pull together an outfit.

Good second-hand stores can be magic! I definitely recommend checking out second-hand stores all over town and try on lots and lots of things. They make their money buying and selling nice quality clothes, so you could also see if you can trade in clothes you don't want to wear anymore for store credit or cash.

Outlet Malls are great! Craigslist can be an interesting way to find unique accessories, jewelry, or clothes. Try hosting a clothing swap at your school or with a group of friends.

Other good places to pick up key pieces...

Gap

Anne Taylor Loft

H & M

Urban Outfitters

JCrew (their sales can be really good)

Express/Limited

NYC

(Most of these have good to great sale racks)

Remember, good fit is a key part of what makes a piece look good. You will have to try on a ton of things!

Think versatile. When you buy a piece, how many different ways can you wear it?

Accessories can help dress up or dress down a lot of clothes, so that is a cheaper way of giving yourself a wardrobe make-over.

And shoes...*sigh*.... I love shoes. And they can really help pull together an outfit.

Uniqlo is also a good cheap store (only phone orders if ordering "online").

I gotta say, I've seen a lot of those "7 essential closet must-haves" articles with the "black/navy blazer, white button-up, black/navy skirt, black/navy pant, black shoes, cashmere sweater and a trenchcoat" type lists. While I agree that those ARE good staples for many women, I've always thought outside of that list and still been able to do a lot of mixing and matching. I can find just as versatile of a wardrobe with colors and earth-tone neutrals as I can with the white/black/navy palette that is just so unflattering on my coloring. Besides, that combo always reminded me of either school uniforms or stewardesses.

I agree. I've always gone for the neutrals for the bottom half, but flattering colors for the top half. I used to have a lot more business stuff in my wardrobe before I started putting on all this weight, and now I'm starting again from scratch. <_<

Here are my dress-up essentials:

Gray skirt, black pants (I hate having ALL black/navy)

White shell, red shell (I like red)

Dressy sweater--I have one that incorporates several colors so it goes with almost everything

Blazer

Now accessories are something I'm spectacularly bad at. Actually, I like shoes and can pick them out pretty well, though I have a devil of a time getting a pair that fits (size 10EE). It's the other stuff--the scarves and jewelry and all that--that bother me.

I currently don't need to dress up every day, in fact it's practical to wear cheap clothes in lab. But I *like* dressing up.

Thanks so much for starting this thread, OP! I, too, was closely following the other similarly-themed thread, but like you, found it geared more towards the men and was hoping to find something that spoke to me as a female incoming graduate student.

That being said, like other posters have noted, Express, Gap, Ann Taylor, and NY&Company have some great finds, regardless of whether you're looking for neutrals or some flattering colors to brighten up everyday outfits. I, too, have been doing the majority of my shopping there lately and have managed to pick up some great pencil skirts and sweaters for this coming fall (as I am also a high school English teacher, they double in that regard -- score!).

As I've been buying this professional wear, however, I've started to wonder: Are female grad students truly expected to be wearing heels and pencil skirts to class every day? Or are these "professional" outfits more for teaching and perhaps conferences or presentations? I have always thought of the graduate student life as a bit of a bohemian/artsy jeans-and-a-cool-sweater type existence, and I'm worried that I am going to look completely out of place if I show up on the first day of orientation in my (reasonable-height) heels and slim skirt (despite the fact that, like Victorian Tess, dressing up is kind of my thing).

What are you all planning to wear on the "first day" and thereafter? Are you going to wear professional attire exclusively, and on the first day of orientation at that? Or do you plan on being more casual and only breaking out the cardigans and skirts when there's a special occasion on the horizon?

*As a side note, I didn't have a chance to visit my program, so part of my uncertainty stems from the fact that I have NO IDEA what current graduate students there dress like. If anyone has any experience in this regard, that would be really helpful, too. (Somehow these questions make me feel like it's freshman year of high school all over again... wink.gif)

Edited by artist_lily

*As a side note, I didn't have a chance to visit my program, so part of my uncertainty stems from the fact that I have NO IDEA what current graduate students there dress like. If anyone has any experience in this regard, that would be really helpful, too.

Unfortunately, it depends entirely on not only the school, but also the department. In your shoes I would treat the first day the way I advise people to dress for a visit: black jeans, nice button-down shirt, non-scruffy shoes.

My department is very informal. I only dress up when lecturing in a classroom or presenting. (Most of my teaching last year was labs, and wearing my nice clothes to lab--where students are always spilling acid, etc.--would be stupid.) But then, I'm in the sciences, where things tend to be über-casual. An English grad student might need to be a bit more dressy.

Unfortunately, it depends entirely on not only the school, but also the department.

When I visited Cornell, most of the female grad students were wearing nice jeans, flats, and cardigans with their makeup and hair tidy.

I don't think most students expect suits and fancy clothes everyday- the important thing to me is to dress in something I feel confident and comfortable in. If you want to be safe, I'd say you can't go wrong with dark-wash clean jeans (no holes or rips), cardigans, sweaters, and clean shirts. That's the professional/casual look I ran across.

I have a question- namely, winter footwear.

What are you ladies wearing for the icy/snowing parts of the year? Will you be sporting winter boots the entire time, or do you have other footwear that works well in less-favorable conditions?

Coming from New Mexico I'm not quite sure how to handle my feet and fashion in snow and ice.

What are you all planning to wear on the "first day" and thereafter? Are you going to wear professional attire exclusively, and on the first day of orientation at that? Or do you plan on being more casual and only breaking out the cardigans and skirts when there's a special occasion on the horizon?

Oh, well, I love these questions more than the whole thread. I'm wearing a very appropriate dress to orientation. Not quite a sundress, not quite a shirt-dress - but appropriate in length and everything will be covered (while I do love to glam it up and rock some non-traditional stuff, I won't be doing it on the first day of orientation). I'm sure they'll all see the glam side of me at our first house party or truly non-academic event.

I'll also wear some cute peep-toe flats in a semi-bright, summery color and I always try to do something different with my hair. I actually love wearing several different hairstyles in a week.

As for the rest of my time in school, I'll probably wear stuff in the same vein. Even when I become a T.A., that will still be appropriate and I won't have to rush out and buy stuff to "make me look older/more authoritative." I've always been a little different when it comes to clothing, but I've also maintained a level of professionalism when it's needed. Luckily, I'm not in my teens or early 20s anymore, so I actually know how to dress myself well. When I was younger, I knew I didn't feel as though I should dress like everyone else (mainly because I've never looked like everyone else). Looking back, I was a mess in a lot of ways. Now that I know about silhouette and proportion, I don't look like I'm trying too hard to look different. Know what I mean?

And by the time school starts, I'll be more than happy to switch up my daily looks after wearing cut-offs, exercise pants, tank tops, and countless other items that I won't mind getting paint/dirt/grease on while I'm fixing up my new place.

That's also part of my problem. When I was much younger, I was a complete slob. Jeans and one size fits all t-shirts were my staples. Talk about not caring how I looked (unless I went to an event). If I don't have great pieces in my wardrobe, it's too easy for me to revert to unflattering clothes. So, in the end, I don't care if people think I dress up too much. They wouldn't want to see me if they knew how my default looked.

I can guarantee that the other folks in my program will be a bit surprised by the way I actually dress. I, of course, went with the basic black Sisterhood of the Travelling Pantsuit during my interview weekend. I didn't want anything to distract the committees or current students from my brain.

*** Oh and, to the original poster, I do wear ties - and even suspenders - on occasion.

Edited by choidy87

What are you ladies wearing for the icy/snowing parts of the year? Will you be sporting winter boots the entire time, or do you have other footwear that works well in less-favorable conditions?

Coming from New Mexico I'm not quite sure how to handle my feet and fashion in snow and ice.

I'm not female, but this is what I would do if you don't want to wear winter boots the entire time. I would sport winter boots outside, but have a pair of shoes to switch to when I'm indoors. You should also have a place to put those winter boots.

Thanks so much for the helpful replies, ladies (and gentleman) smile.gif I definitely feel more at ease knowing that others are curious about these same issues, and I think the advice to dress as you would for an admissions visit is probably just about perfect for the first day. The "uniform" of the female grad students at Cornell is also an excellent suggestion, as it's stylish without being overdone -- and I think I might even be able to pull it off! Suppose I need to go shopping for some cute flats now (maybe peep-toe ones like yours, choidy)...

Regarding matcha's question about winter footwear, I would second joro's comment: buy some practical winter boots, and change once you get into the building. If you're going to class in your department's building, you're likely going to have an office (or at least a cubby) in that very same building where you will be able to store your "outdoor" footwear. I have a close friend/colleague who taught me this principle well: she would wear Wellingtons or other similarly unattractive boots while in transit on rainy and snowy days, only to change into absolutely gorgeous, but reasonable, high heels the second she stepped into our building. No one ever knew the difference... in fact, I think there were many who wondered how she managed to pull off such style in the midst of such nasty weather!

That being said, I'm still going to invest in a pair of semi-cute-but-practical boots to get me through those days when changing footwear mid-morning just isn't an option (i.e., days on which I'm teaching and won't have a place to store my wet boots), but I think all in all, buying a pair of "outdoor" boots and a pair of "cute-but-practical" boots, in addition to your regular heels and nice flats, should address most all winter footwear needs. Hope this helps!

Having done my undergrad in Rochester NY my thoughts on winter footwear:

Buy your winter gear where ever you are moving, the winter stuff available in Rochester was much better than what was sold in my home of NJ

Make sure it's waterproof, certain ladies were very confused when their Uggs started smelling like wet dog.

Make sure your boots are loose enough to tuck your pants (and multiple layers if you are wearing them) in, cold wet legs are no fun.

I'll be going to orientation in nice jeans and a nice top, I'll adjust from there. Anything I've attended so far has been pretty casual and I expect classes to be the same.

I'm with Unlikely Grad in geosciences where apparently professional dress seems to involve little more than a hole free pair of jeans and a ribbed sweater. I, on the other hand, have a funky style that works in a professional environment as well as a casual one and I put everything together from thrift shops. To be honest, I don't see any need to buy anything new ever. I find the cutest most unique stuff on the resale racks and usually it's in great shape. I wear everything from dresses to bold blouses and denim capris. I guess I never worried about looking either pretentious or sloppy but I generally get loads of compliments and I always feel comfortable. I swear by thrifting (for clothes, belts, purses, jewelry, furniture, even binders and other school supplies, not to mention my kids clothes & toys as well.) I only buy new items when I have a purchase that requires them like hiking boots or nice rain gear for the field or whatever.

The nicest thing about purchasing a thrift shop wardrobe- if something gets stained or snagged or ripped you don't have to care!

Wow! Everyone has some great suggestions! Like artist_lily, I think a lot of my nervousness about this and other grad school issues stems from the fact that I've never visited the school (or the area) before. I honestly have no idea what people wear. Even though it's Berkeley (what I imagine would otherwise be relatively laid-back), the two women I've met from my department both dress on the nicer side. Problem is, I naturally dress on the more casual/comfortable side . . . uh oh!

I've spent the year in China and haven't bought any new clothes, so many of my clothes are starting to wear. So when I head on over to the Bay Area (next week!!!!) I'm going to buying a lot of new clothes. I've decided to rid myself of temptation; the most casual items of clothing I am going to own are a nice pair of jeans and a simple, but stylish shirt. Hopefully this will start to cure me of my horrible dressing habits.

To matcha: I grew up in New England so I'm quite familiar with winter-wear, :D . Make sure you invest in a couple good pairs of winter socks, preferably of the camping variety. Also, two or three good pairs of long underwear are definitely worth the investment, preferably from a camping store as well. All of these things may be expensive, but they will last you years and, more importantly, KEEP YOU WARM! I've used the same socks and long underwear for five years, and they're just now starting to show some signs of wear and tear.

Edited by American in Beijing

I've spent the year in China and haven't bought any new clothes, so many of my clothes are starting to wear. So when I head on over to the Bay Area (next week!!!!) I'm going to buying a lot of new clothes. I've decided to rid myself of temptation; the most casual items of clothing I am going to own are a nice pair of jeans and a simple, but stylish shirt. Hopefully this will start to cure me of my horrible dressing habits.

I know the added luggage situation might make this seem like a less attractive option, but hear me out: California has a hell of a sales tax, and while you might find some good sales here and there, it probably will cost you a pretty penny to start from scratch stateside. I've heard from MANY sources that China has some great prices on clothing, if you can find something that's close to your size, and the tailoring options in most Asian cities are very economical and quick. That might be a generalization, since I'm sure it varies by region, but I have many friends who visit family and friends in some of the big cities over there, and they specifically buy bigger luggage at their destination so they'll have room for all the clothes they're bringing back.

I know you probably have a busy week ahead of you, but it really might be a favor to your wallet for you to look at some of the clothing options in your current region before you find yourself in California and groaning at the price of clothing.

All the points made so far about thrift shopping DO hold true, however. If you come to California needing an entirely new wardrobe, I'd hit the thrift stores near nice neighborhoods first. Goodwill, Salvation Army etc in the Bay Area will probably have some primo designer-type clothes at a great discount, but you still might be investing quite a chunk of change into the whole deal.

Just a thought.

Wow! Everyone has some great suggestions! Like artist_lily, I think a lot of my nervousness about this and other grad school issues stems from the fact that I've never visited the school (or the area) before. I honestly have no idea what people wear. Even though it's Berkeley (what I imagine would otherwise be relatively laid-back), the two women I've met from my department both dress on the nicer side. Problem is, I naturally dress on the more casual/comfortable side . . . uh oh!

To matcha: I grew up in New England so I'm quite familiar with winter-wear, :D . Make sure you invest in a couple good pairs of winter socks, preferably of the camping variety. Also, two or three good pairs of long underwear are definitely worth the investment, preferably from a camping store as well. All of these things may be expensive, but they will last you years and, more importantly, KEEP YOU WARM! I've used the same socks and long underwear for five years, and they're just now starting to show some signs of wear and tear.

You should check out the outlet malls in the Bay Area. Gilroy Outlets (smells like garlic there), Great Mall (Milpitas), and there should be tons of stores in the SF and Berkeley area too. If you're looking for a laptop bag and considering a Timbuk2, they have a retail store in SF.

I know the added luggage situation might make this seem like a less attractive option, but hear me out: California has a hell of a sales tax, and while you might find some good sales here and there, it probably will cost you a pretty penny to start from scratch stateside. I've heard from MANY sources that China has some great prices on clothing, if you can find something that's close to your size, and the tailoring options in most Asian cities are very economical and quick. That might be a generalization, since I'm sure it varies by region, but I have many friends who visit family and friends in some of the big cities over there, and they specifically buy bigger luggage at their destination so they'll have room for all the clothes they're bringing back.

I know you probably have a busy week ahead of you, but it really might be a favor to your wallet for you to look at some of the clothing options in your current region before you find yourself in California and groaning at the price of clothing.

All the points made so far about thrift shopping DO hold true, however. If you come to California needing an entirely new wardrobe, I'd hit the thrift stores near nice neighborhoods first. Goodwill, Salvation Army etc in the Bay Area will probably have some primo designer-type clothes at a great discount, but you still might be investing quite a chunk of change into the whole deal.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the advice! I definitely did NOT know about that sales tax . . . 8.75% state PLUS local tax? Ugh. And I just checked online and there aren't even any sales holidays. How does this state take in so much money and STILL have budget problems?

Unfortunately, Chinese clothes are a bit too small for me, so buying clothes here is not really an option. Fortunately most of my nicer pants are in pretty good shape (seeing as I don't wear them that often). It's mostly my jeans that are on their last leg. And I could use a couple of new shirts and a sweater or two. Thrift stores are going to become my new best friends!

Thanks for the advice! I definitely did NOT know about that sales tax . . . 8.75% state PLUS local tax? Ugh. And I just checked online and there aren't even any sales holidays. How does this state take in so much money and STILL have budget problems?

Unfortunately, Chinese clothes are a bit too small for me, so buying clothes here is not really an option. Fortunately most of my nicer pants are in pretty good shape (seeing as I don't wear them that often). It's mostly my jeans that are on their last leg. And I could use a couple of new shirts and a sweater or two. Thrift stores are going to become my new best friends!

You have the sales tax a bit mixed up. It's actually just 9.75% (not 8) and there is no plus other tax. That is your tax on whatever you buy.

You have the sales tax a bit mixed up. It's actually just 9.75% (not 8) and there is no plus other tax. That is your tax on whatever you buy.

Wait, this doesn't include food items, does it? I used to work at a grocery store when I was in high school, and in my state you only had to pay tax on non-staple items (basically anything that wasn't in any way, shape, or form healthy) . . .

Has anybody had any good experiences with makeup, mineral or otherwise? I'm looking into finding a brand I like and I thought you ladies might have suggestions.

Edited by matcha

Two of my sisters have master's degrees from Berkeley, and they always dressed in jeans and T-shirts. (I know one TAed, can't remember if the other one did or not.) Of course one was in the sciences and the other was in engineering...in your shoes, I would wait until you get there to see what's appropriate.

If you're getting dressy clothes, I second the poster who recommended getting custom tailoring done in China. My parents did this last time they went to visit my brother and were flabbergasted at how cheap it was.

Wait, this doesn't include food items, does it? I used to work at a grocery store when I was in high school, and in my state you only had to pay tax on non-staple items (basically anything that wasn't in any way, shape, or form healthy) . . .

I don't think they tax non-staple items, at least from what I can recall. I just don't pay attention to it anymore. :blink: