Dressing the Part . . . for Girls!

If you ladies are looking for some good deals on shoes and don't mind waiting to receive your cashback on items. I would look at endless.com and use bing cashback to receive 40% off your order (40% cash back will be available after 60 days though). Then I would also find a place that sells it cheaper and have them price match it within 14 days of your order. It's a bit of work and you need to be patient, but I think that it is worth it in the end.

I ordered $99.95 shoes and have $29.99 cash back waiting to be redeemed in 60 days. I also price matched to another site for $74.95 and was refunded $25. This was when there was only 30% cash back. I'm returning the shoes (free return shipping) for a size bigger and will be doing the same thing, but with 40% cash back instead. :lol:

If you ladies are looking for some good deals on shoes and don't mind waiting to receive your cashback on items. I would look at endless.com and use bing cashback to receive 40% off your order (40% cash back will be available after 60 days though). Then I would also find a place that sells it cheaper and have them price match it within 14 days of your order. It's a bit of work and you need to be patient, but I think that it is worth it in the end.

I ordered $99.95 shoes and have $29.99 cash back waiting to be redeemed in 60 days. I also price matched to another site for $74.95 and was refunded $25. This was when there was only 30% cash back. I'm returning the shoes (free return shipping) for a size bigger and will be doing the same thing, but with 40% cash back instead. :lol:

Thanks for the tip! But hurry up and buy your stuff, because they're stopping the program on July 30!

They do it anyway. Even if you tell them you are old enough to be their mother and, in fact, have a son their age.

But oh well.

Well, that sucks. I am NOT looking forward to that part of TA-ing. Oh well, better to know ahead of time!

Wow! Is there a catch somewhere, joro? Have you already gotten money back? I used Bing cashback before, but at that time all the places I shopped at seemed to offer around 5-10% cashback. Now 40% on Endless?! When I went to the Endless Web site, it even let me add Dolce and Gabbana sunglasses to my bag and showed a prospective 40% refund! It seems to good to be true -- but since it's Bing and Microsoft (and Endless), I know it must be. Right? rolleyes.gif

Wow! Is there a catch somewhere, joro? Have you already gotten money back? I used Bing cashback before, but at that time all the places I shopped at seemed to offer around 5-10% cashback. Now 40% on Endless?! When I went to the Endless Web site, it even let me add Dolce and Gabbana sunglasses to my bag and showed a prospective 40% refund! It seems to good to be true -- but since it's Bing and Microsoft (and Endless), I know it must be. Right? rolleyes.gif

I have not gotten my money back yet for this purchase since it takes 60 days and I'm only on day 8. I think the only catch is that you get payed via Amazon payments for this one which isn't bad if you know you will be buying something from Amazon in the future (e.g. books).

Edited by joro

I have not gotten my money back yet for this purchase since it takes 60 days and I'm only on day 8. I think the only catch is that you get payed via Amazon payments for this one which isn't bad if you know you will be buying something from Amazon in the future (e.g. books).

Awesome! Thanks so much for posting this. New shoes, here I come!

Anyone changing your hairstyle? I'm testing out some bangs and a long bob (a la Nicole Richie) and kind of liking it but now I have to maintain them which I'm not very good at. I hate paying for a haircut and my experiences trimming my hair myself have never ended well.

Anyone changing your hairstyle? I'm testing out some bangs and a long bob (a la Nicole Richie) and kind of liking it but now I have to maintain them which I'm not very good at. I hate paying for a haircut and my experiences trimming my hair myself have never ended well.

My mother always says that a haircut is something worth spending a little extra money on- that cut will be on your head for a while, and your head is one of the first things people look at when they see you!

I had the Katie Holmes look going on for a while, but I've let it grow out to shoulder-length in order to allow me to pull it back when I want/need. It looks shaggy now (I haven't had a cut for a while), but I'm visiting my much trusted hair-lady in a few weeks to let her work her magic!

I'm not a grad student anymore but I'm kind of in the same boat... just finished my Masters and will now be teaching part time at the same University. Being a young (and even younger looking) female I want to try and dress as conservative as possible.. without looking frumpy :) The only actual rule we have is no flip flops, but we're allowed to wear jeans and pretty much whatever we want. My "teaching" wardrobe I've accumulated thus far consists of knee-length skirts and cardigans. Any suggestions on what to wear/what not to wear, and how to make myself look older? :) I just want to be taken seriously, and not confused for another one of them. (I'll be teaching Intro Psych which is going to be all freshmen, and then a 300 level which is mostly sophmores +) This is going to be a big change from my shorts and t-shirts I would normally rock in grad school...

What about dark slacks?

I'm not a grad student anymore but I'm kind of in the same boat... just finished my Masters and will now be teaching part time at the same University. Being a young (and even younger looking) female I want to try and dress as conservative as possible.. without looking frumpy :) The only actual rule we have is no flip flops, but we're allowed to wear jeans and pretty much whatever we want. My "teaching" wardrobe I've accumulated thus far consists of knee-length skirts and cardigans. Any suggestions on what to wear/what not to wear, and how to make myself look older? :) I just want to be taken seriously, and not confused for another one of them. (I'll be teaching Intro Psych which is going to be all freshmen, and then a 300 level which is mostly sophmores +) This is going to be a big change from my shorts and t-shirts I would normally rock in grad school...

This is just from hunch and not from experience, but I'd recommend mixing up different silhouettes of skirts and cardigans. I know a lot of knee-length skirts run in the same shape and fullness, and same with the generic cardigans and shells, but if you can introduce some slouchy cardigans or fitted blazers or flirtier/straighter cuts for the skirts it will look like you have built up the wardrobe over time. I'm all for finding cuts that look great and work for your body shape, but there is always room to try something new-- especially if you feel uncertain about the image you're projecting. They say it's half-attitude anyway, right? Maybe this new stuff that you have already will give you the boost to throw your shoulders back and show the freshmen who's in charge.

Also, experiment with scarves, brooches, chunky bracelets or necklaces-- haunt second hand stores and places like TJ Maxx and Ross, where you rarely drop more than $10 per piece. It's an inexpensive way to play around and find out if something leaves you looking a little more polished than your students. I'm well known at my former workplace for my taste in earrings, which always garnered comments and compliments, but I don't think I ever spent more than $7 on a pair. In fact, the pair that probably gets the most attention are some 1 1/2 inch carved jade-looking earrings I got on the sale rack at Old Navy for $2.

On a slightly different and more generally general note: I've been closet shopping lately in my own stuff since I've been sorting out the piles to donate. A lot of it doesn't fit anymore, but I did find a few things that surprised me in their suited-ness for grad school. If you haven't thrown anything away for years, give your clothing reserves a second glance and see if there isn't something you can alter or maybe just wear in a new way.

I've been saying for 3 years that when I started grad school I would shave my head.

It wouldn't look any less professional than my uncontrollable semi-afro, so. Plus, given the town where I'm going to school, it would make me blend in more with the townsfolk and long-term grads that are already here.

I'm not sure if I'm going to follow through... I should! I shouldn't. I should! I shouldn't. dry.gif

I've been saying for 3 years that when I started grad school I would shave my head.

It wouldn't look any less professional than my uncontrollable semi-afro, so. Plus, given the town where I'm going to school, it would make me blend in more with the townsfolk and long-term grads that are already here.

I'm not sure if I'm going to follow through... I should! I shouldn't. I should! I shouldn't. dry.gif

I'd say do it! A friend of mine shaved her head in undergrad and she looked BEAUTIFUL! Plus, she found the entire experience really freeing and invigorating. For my two-cents, I'd say go for it!

I agree with matcha. I had a coworker who shaved her head (it was a solidarity thing for an aunt who had cancer) and she got SO many compliments. Personally, the look wouldn't work on me, but I really think that women who can pull off shaved heads rock really really hard. Plus, if you aren't worried about standing out, I say go for it. Hair grows back, and this is a great chance to try something new.

My vote is yes.

I can't decide what I should wear to orientation... what about you guys? I've got a general orientation from the Graduate School and then another departmental one. I'm inclined to say I'd rather look nicer for the departmental orientation because those are the people I'll see every day. What are you thinking about wearing?

I'm a weird case: I do enjoy clothes-shopping and I tend to dress pretty conservatively (blouses, skirts, dress-pants, cardigans) since I like looking tidy, but I'm also a bit of a tomboy: I don't wear makeup, I haven't got any piercings, I rarely put on jewelry, I cut my own hair since I can't be bothered to go get a haircut (or pay for it), I'm occasionally known to climb trees regardless of what I'm wearing, and all of the shoes I own are über-practical because I really like walking. Go figure. (Though for conferences, operas, weddings, and other special occasions, I do have a few nicer things: blazers, silk dresses, etc.)

I agree that it's hard to go wrong at decent thrift-stores: great selection, low prices, pre-shrunk clothing. Finding nice cotton shirts is pretty easy. Also ditto the recommendations of New York and Company (which makes my favourite pants ever) and Ann Taylor/Ann Taylor Loft. I tend to go out of my way to go to any of those three stores when I'm in the U.S. because (as far as I know) neither of those chains has any stores in Canada! Oh well.

For shoes, check out

if you haven't seen it already. (Personally, I just love Rockport; in fact, it's the only shoe-store I've ever encountered that makes me worry I might buy shoes I don't strictly need! * laughs * They always have a few styles of comfortable, durable walking-shoes that are both professional and cute.)

I was in a similar position when I started teaching high school at 22. You're going to be mistaken for a student. I got that from time to time all five years of teaching high school. If you want to avoid being mistaken for a student, I would recommend never wearing jeans. My own students would assume I was another student when they weren't paying attention (i.e. when they first walked into my room). I'd also recommend not wearing anything overly tight or low-cut. The two big changes that I made to avoid looking like a student were cutting my hair and wearing make-up, at first only when I was meeting with parents, then on a regular basis. As far as how you present yourself, you may want to be a little firmer than you might otherwise be (especially at the beginning of the semester), but at the same time, capitalize on the fact that you're closer to their age than many of their other professors/instructors (i.e. when you're trying to illustrate a point, you're probably able to reference pop culture or general culture that's more relevant to them). Also, it may have been more necessary, because I was teaching high school, but I didn't tell them my age. They asked frequently. :-/

thanks! I just went shopping today to H&M and got lots of great stuff. A few blouses, a pair of wide-legged linen pants (which is key because it is HOT here until late october), and a fitted blazer. I normally always wear my contacts, but I'm thinking of wearing my glasses to class, at least in the beginning. We are allowed to wear jeans, but I'd probably try to avoid that, or atleast wear dark, nicer jeans and only on Fridays. Definitely will avoid wearing anything revealing, I had issues with creepy students being inappropriate when I was a TA in grad school. I know I look much older with short hair, but I just don't like how it looks on me. As far as makeup, I was actually planning to wear less, just to try and make myself look a little more plain and low-key. I'm definitely going to have to work on being firm, I'm very much a pushover! I've already been thinking about how to avoid telling them my age, when I TA'ed for a young prof they asked him his age all the time. How did you side-step answering that?

That creepy students thing as a TA just reminded me of this video (College Musical). I think it is funny and you girls should watch it for a good laugh (hopefully). :lol:

Edited by joro

I've already been thinking about how to avoid telling them my age, when I TA'ed for a young prof they asked him his age all the time. How did you side-step answering that?

I want to say that I would tell them I was older than them and leave it at that. Either that or I told them that I was old enough or that it wasn't important. I did tell them that I had taught before, even though it was my student teaching (which is teaching). If they try to guess, I would just redirect. One of the biggest things about being closer to their age is remembering that it's your class and you control the conversation. Since you mentioned being a pushover, I would also recommend being firm; basically your word goes. If you set a deadline, short of a major emergency, that's the deadline, and they receive the previously stated consequences. In particular, run things by more experienced teachers that you trust to reinforce your decision to stand firm (i.e. if a student is insisting that you're being unfair, and you feel the urge to cave, stand firm and run the scenario by someone else to reinforce your decision).

Here's two cents for those naturally inclined to never think twice about what they are wearing:

My first attempt at Master's ended up with the department falling apart after one year and not being able to offer my degree, so I transfered to a different school for Master's.

I'm in music, so I don't know how well this experience translate to other disciplines. Like some my default is very casual jeans/t-shirt/sandals, so when I realized grad students were expected to look like model citizens I decided to do it the most efficient way possible. Probably least fun, but it took little time/energy, and it worked.

My first grad school I had to teach and was told specifically to dress up with no jeans or sandals. My professors that year dressed very professional/business-like. To dress like a graduate student-- that is to say, not like my professors, and not like the undergrads who spent hours on hair-- I rotated through four pairs of different color/pattern dressy slacks and 12 nice tops (women's button downs, tunics, nice sweaters, etc. I don't look good in colorful silky blouses with big flowers but that was obviously an option). In the winter I wore a peacoat. Sometime I wore a blazer. All from thrift store. I wore black leather clogs like the ones made by Dansko.

My second grad school, all grad students were told at orientation to dress professionally, but in reality there is a full range from jeans and a t-shirt to corduroy blazers to animal prints. My professors dressed a lot more casually and the undergrads had no qualms showing up in their PJ. Luckily, all 12 of my tops work great with khakis, twill pants and dark jeans, so I just substituted them for the dress pants. I wore birkenstocks Boston instead. And when I want to be even more casual, I'll layer a stripe button down with a tank top.

I admit I'm very lazy when it comes to clothing. My claim to fame is not how well I dress, but I also don't want t my professionalism challenged because I don't have time or interest to shop. So I adopted the above lazy method from a friend :D. I spend minimal amount of time getting dressed in the morning, and my wardrobe can sport a wide range of casual/formal-ity. And unlike those colleagues of mine who wore animal prints or jeans and t-shirt, I never got the professional appearance talk from the Dean.

Shopping story of the day:

Part of my budgeting strategy is finding pieces that will work in multiple scenarios-- one of my best buys ever was the little black dress that is appropriate for cocktails, weddings AND funerals. Today, I was on the look-out for a dress that I could wear to a wedding this weekend but also use as a dress for going out or looking nice at work. I went to some factory outlets and tried on dresses at every shop there, but in so many cases they were just too expensive for how poorly they were fitting, or how short/low-cut/unprofessional they looked. So, on the advice of a good friend who is similarly endowed, I threw hang-ups to the wind and popped into the maternity store that has ALWAYS had such cute details on dresses.

I'm not pregnant, and not planning on it for a while, but I went for it.

Seriously-- if you ever struggle to find a good fit for your hips or bust, try a maternity store. At all of the other stores I tried didn't have a single dress that was both appropriate and attractive, but at the maternity store I found 4 dresses right away that were not only well-made and very attractively detailed, the fabric was unbelievably comfortable and in a lot of case the dresses had some sort of belt or tie that helps define your waist (the hope being that you could wear the dress over several months of a pregnancy by just adjusting the waist as needed). These dresses are designed with curves in mind, and a lot of the fabrics are knit and draped in such a way that they will stretch in whatever way you need. The smalls and mediums are still sized for women who have a small frame, but man are they ready if you need some room! The necklines are attractive, but rarely so low as to be inappropriate for a workplace.

I left the store with two dresses, both priced at $35 and both perfect for a cute wedding outfit or belted with a sweater and boots/heels for a very nice work look.

Just another idea, for those frustrated shoppers like me :)

Shopping story of the day:

Part of my budgeting strategy is finding pieces that will work in multiple scenarios-- one of my best buys ever was the little black dress that is appropriate for cocktails, weddings AND funerals. Today, I was on the look-out for a dress that I could wear to a wedding this weekend but also use as a dress for going out or looking nice at work. I went to some factory outlets and tried on dresses at every shop there, but in so many cases they were just too expensive for how poorly they were fitting, or how short/low-cut/unprofessional they looked. So, on the advice of a good friend who is similarly endowed, I threw hang-ups to the wind and popped into the maternity store that has ALWAYS had such cute details on dresses.

I'm not pregnant, and not planning on it for a while, but I went for it.

Seriously-- if you ever struggle to find a good fit for your hips or bust, try a maternity store. At all of the other stores I tried didn't have a single dress that was both appropriate and attractive, but at the maternity store I found 4 dresses right away that were not only well-made and very attractively detailed, the fabric was unbelievably comfortable and in a lot of case the dresses had some sort of belt or tie that helps define your waist (the hope being that you could wear the dress over several months of a pregnancy by just adjusting the waist as needed). These dresses are designed with curves in mind, and a lot of the fabrics are knit and draped in such a way that they will stretch in whatever way you need. The smalls and mediums are still sized for women who have a small frame, but man are they ready if you need some room! The necklines are attractive, but rarely so low as to be inappropriate for a workplace.

I left the store with two dresses, both priced at $35 and both perfect for a cute wedding outfit or belted with a sweater and boots/heels for a very nice work look.

Just another idea, for those frustrated shoppers like me :)

May [deity of your choice] bless you!

I have always been too ashamed to tell the story of the PERFECT blouse I found on clearance at Target once. I wore it and was so excited because it buttoned over my gigantic boobs and yet somehow still fit my waist and petite frame. I wore a few times before I caught site of the tag while doing laundry: Liz Lange Maternity for Target.

I was torn! Do I throw out my perfect shirt in disgust or snip the tag?!

I kept it...sans tag.

But, it is true. I have a waist yet I have hips and breasts. This seems to confound clothing manufacturers who confuse plus size with one shape: namely very, very broad in the middle with normal sized limbs? Therefore, I'm somehow too small for all plus size manufacturers and too curvy in all the wrong places for most regular manufacturers.

Coya,

I had bought *one* maternity shirt before, not realizing that it was a maternity brand. Today was really the turning point, though. At one store I tried on a "fitted" shirt dress with a belt, and for $110 I could have walked out of the shop looking like a maid at a hotel. For the same price, I could have gotten three awesome dresses at the maternity store-- all belted, form-fitting, beautiful border prints or nice embellishments, tasteful necklines, just a hair above knee-length hems, beautiful colors, and GREAT fabrics.

In more ways than one, they were very similar to knit dresses that I had seen at Ann Taylor and Jones New York, yet a fraction of the price and with a much better selection of the flattering styles. A lot of Mad Men silhouettes, to tell ya the truth. The big thing I don't understand is how they are selling them at a lower price-- doesn't it seem like a cornered market where they could charge anything they want?

Anyway, when I mentioned to the clerk that I wasn't pregnant, she told me that between 10 and 20 percent of their customers are just women who need the extra room in one area or another, with that option of nipping in the waist.

I really have no idea why I said "form-fitting" in those last few posts, and I'm too tired to figure out editing. I wore the one dress to the wedding tonight, and really the best way to describe the fit was nicely draped, but not too loose around the chest/shoulders. Just flowy around the hips and down.