Dressing the Part . . . for Girls!

I was wondering if skinny pants/jeans are considered too sexy? I dress pretty conservatively, but since I'm petite, I look like I'm drowning in most other pants.

I think that as long as you obey the golden mantra ("leggings are not pants"), you'll be fine.

+1 to what biscuits said (i feel like i say that a lot!): i, too, am super petite (short & skinny), so skinny jeans a good option for me. i also have a few pairs of skinny corduroys from uniqlo that i like a lot. as long as they're not unholy levels of form-fitting, you should be fine!

I was wondering if skinny pants/jeans are considered too sexy? I dress pretty conservatively, but since I'm petite, I look like I'm drowning in most other pants.

I wear skinny jeans all the time here, because I find them warmer than my flares for whichever reason. Since my hips are pretty broad I just try to cover them with a very loose, long sweater or nice top. 

My advisor is a really good dresser. I always feel like a bum when I'm around her. I've never been that great at fashion and wearing heels is not my favorite thing. Any tips to dress more fashionable?

I tend to shop at banana republic, ann taylor, j jill, talbots, etc.

Should I just look in magazines or something? lol

I tend to shop at banana republic, ann taylor, j jill, talbots, etc.

If you shop there, I think you're already fashionable.

There's a girl in my department that's really into fashion.  I can't talk fashion with her in general, because I will never have her level of style awareness, and frankly don't want to worry that much about what I wear, but picking her brain for individual things can be useful, like, "What kind of flats should I wear with this skirt?" or, "Where did you get your blazer?" 

Maybe you could ask someone similar?

I ride my bike to campus, which is a good excuse for wearing comfortable clothes and shoes, but truth be told, I wouldn't wear heels around campus even if I drove.  Too much work.

• 2 weeks later...

What does everyone wear to conferences? I have my first professional conference next month and am trying to figure out what to pack. Business casual? Dressier but not quiet suits?

What does everyone wear to conferences? I have my first professional conference next month and am trying to figure out what to pack. Business casual? Dressier but not quiet suits?

I had the same question and started a separate thread:

(My first conference is next weekend -- should be interesting!)