Dressing the Part . . . for Girls!

Has anyone used Imogen Lamport's blog (http://www.insideoutstyleblog.com/)? I had a time telling if I was an X or 8 but I do like that she gives practical advice about professional wear and figuring our proportions .

I refuse to believe I'm as proportional as the ratios say, so I'm blaming any discrepancy on my bust. That's always a valid argument.

Has anyone used Imogen Lamport's blog (http://www.insideoutstyleblog.com/)? I had a time telling if I was an X or 8 but I do like that she gives practical advice about professional wear and figuring our proportions .

I refuse to believe I'm as proportional as the ratios say, so I'm blaming any discrepancy on my bust. That's always a valid argument.

I have not seen this before, but I really like that she distinguishes between high and low hip. I never know what to measure/consider when guidelines just say "hips" or "hip region."

So with that I think I'm a subtle A shape since my low hip is just a bit wider than everything else, and my waist is a bit too small for an I.

I already considered myself slightly pear-shaped, so it looks like I've been following some of the suggestions already. Like longer tops/tunics. And belts. Belts on dresses, belts on pants... I belt everything.

I still wear skinny jeans though (and not just with tunics); I think I'm close enough to an I shape to get away with them...

Maybe my leg to arm proportions are weird, but there is about 5-6 inches between the top of my knee and the tip of my finger, hence why I think my dresses are too short when I do that! Must have long legs or something. I'm 5'9 so tall-ish.

I'm 5'6" and I have a similar distance between the top of the knee and the tip of my finger. The only things I ever wear shorter than that are shorts when I'm working out. My apartment complex has a 24-hr gym on-site, so I workout there after I get home.

I've been a lurker for the future when I eventually need to dress the part. So pardon me for a little thread hijack -

I'm going on a pre-application campus visit to see a few POIs, meet with current grad students, etc. and I'm wondering what to wear. The two campuses I'm going to are *huge* so heels of any kind are out. It's also September in Indiana which means it's inevitably hot. I was thinking sandals, a skit and a nice top for the second one (my favorite school) and a nice sundress and sandals (with sweater for cold buildings) for the second. Should I be more dressed up? Less dressed up?

I've been a lurker for the future when I eventually need to dress the part. So pardon me for a little thread hijack -

I'm going on a pre-application campus visit to see a few POIs, meet with current grad students, etc. and I'm wondering what to wear. The two campuses I'm going to are *huge* so heels of any kind are out. It's also September in Indiana which means it's inevitably hot. I was thinking sandals, a skit and a nice top for the second one (my favorite school) and a nice sundress and sandals (with sweater for cold buildings) for the second. Should I be more dressed up? Less dressed up?

I think it sounds fine. The only hiccup I could think of are the shoes. What kind of sandals? Dressy/strappy/ more foot coverage/less coverage? Have you walked in them before (think blisters)? I wore what I thought were practical mary janes for orientation- 6 blisters, wore them again with heavy duty band-aids for my first day, 3 more blisters.

http://www.easyspirit.com/Dreamngo/53228314,default,pd.html?variantSizeClass=&variantColor=HONEYLE&cgid=52656243&prefn1=catalog-id&prefv1=easyspirit-catalog <-- those are the shoes in the honey leather color

The sandals were my work shoes in DC where I walked at least half a mile a day and more on touring weekends when I would go back and forth to the metro. They're very, very broken in.

Ouch for your feet previously. I give them a nice footrub in the past!

http://www.easyspiri...yspirit-catalog <-- those are the shoes in the honey leather color

The sandals were my work shoes in DC where I walked at least half a mile a day and more on touring weekends when I would go back and forth to the metro. They're very, very broken in.

They look very comfy- and would work for your visits

• 4 months later...

Try this Pinterest board! All of the outfits are from a fellow grad student. She also posts where she got everything and how much it cost--it's all very affordable.

http://pinterest.com/redheadblueheel/fashionista/

Edited by newpsyche

This really is a helpful thread.

It's interesting because my own sense of fashion lies somewhere between comfortable/casual and dressed-up. When I was doing my MSc. all the guys were in shorts and flip flops almost year round. Sometimes I'd feel dressed up in a simple jeans, top, and ballet flats. The only saving grace was that my advisor was always dressed in formal slacks and a button down shirt.

On the other hand, where I am now, the culture is too obsessed with appearance and there is no such thing as overdressed.

Thankfully though, over the past 2 years, I've developed my own sense of style and I think I've matured enough to wear what I think looks good and appropriate without really caring what others think. I like wearing nice fitting jeans or pants. I also wear boots/flats with a blouse/sweater with a necklace/scarf. I sometimes layer my tops, or will wear a dress with leggings. I also love color, which is why I really love the recent fashion trend of bright colored pants! I can't stand being dressed in all black or navy or grey... it's just not me.

Edited by TeaGirl

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have time to double check the whole thread on my phone but I noticed in the first few pages people mentioned great places to shop like the Limited, and Banana Republic but... Didn't mention the student discounts they give?

I've bought $68 blouses on sale with a discount for about $10 before. J. crew does this too? I buy sale stuff when I can because its so cheap and especially in rich neighborhoods folks hate to be seen in the sales section. Most of the discounts are student/educator/military.

Although I'm not actually a grad student I figured I'd pass that one on...15% off is pretty nice. Also my biggest academic chic splurge has been my Cambridge satchel co. brown 13" bag from mod cloth. If I could afford another bigger one, I'd buy it. It's really nice leather and just big enough for my laptop and a book or notebook.

For those who work in a lab- what do you wear? I started part time in a wet lab, cleaning bones (500lb tank on coasters, 90% alcohol cleaning solution,etc). The only "rule" is closed toe shoes (last time I was there the lead was in a sweater and ropers and the permanent staffer was in flannel and work boots). The only lab experience I've had in the last 5 or so years was a very basic chem lab where we did things like remove tarnish from silver with foil and baking soda so I was fine with slippers really.

Alcohol isn't that destructive (even if it smells horrific) so I'm not sure how secure I need to be- Western Boots/Ropers? Topsiders? LLBean's Rubber Mocs (I have the hunting boot but would want something slide on)? Loafers?

*edit* DH hates loafers and topsiders, thinks they're sloppy/masculine. Thoughts?

Edited by GreenePony

• 2 weeks later...

Dal phDer mentioned what the undergrad students were wearing that might be poor choices and it made me think of something I think is soooo important- in academia at 9 am or at the club at midnight:

DO NOT wear shoes you can't walk in.  It doesn't matter how cute the kitten heels, 5" wedges, or pointy boots might be- if you look like a flamingo with a bladder control problem because you can't walk in them, don't wear them.  I see younger girls doing this all the time but older women occasionally as well.  I wear heels most days and am pretty comfortable with most heel heights, so it's not like I am anti-cute shoes or anything. I simply don't think women realize how strange they look though when they have this footwear problem.

For those wanting/needing to wear dressy shoes and heels but have not done so much in the past I offer the following advice:

1. When shoe shopping: try shoes on in the evening when your feet are a little more swollen and tired.

2. Wear shoes around the house to break them in.  People at home might make fun of you but if you live with them you probably know them well enough to throw something in response. 

3. Try to wear them out of the house on a few short trips before you try to pull a whole day in them. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 hours for that weird blister to show up. What sucks is when you end up with 8 hours after that wearing the same pain monsters.

4. If after all of this, they still hurt like a mothergoose, they are probably just crappy shoes.  Give them to your sister. Or someone you don't like.

5. If you abolsutely LOVE a pair of shoes but they kill your little toesies, you can try this trick:

A- Put on cute outfit and your amazing new shoes, pour yourself a drink

B- Call your friends and invite them for a girls night out, pour a drink while you wait for them to get ready

C- On the way out the door, check out your outfit and your sexy shoes in the mirror and take a quick shot

D- Immediately upon arriving at a bar/club have a shot with your friends and listen while they compliment your shoes

E- Dance, take a shot

F- Repeat step E any desired # of times

The end result is a hell of a hangover and some nicely broken in shoes.  The trick is to reach the point where the booze cancels the pain.

So I have a question

I'm a girl, about to visit a program (in the sciences) that I've already been accepted to.

As far as clothes go, I'll be doing casual but presentable

BUT

I'm moderately-heavily tattooed (arms, neck, feet, etc). I can conceal everything as long as I'm wearing long sleeves and my hair is down (which I do for professional events) but I'm not sure how to approach it for visiting day. I guess I just don't have a clear grasp of how people view tattoos anymore- big issue? little issue? non-issue? 

Would it be a mistake to let a little art show? (e.g. wearing 3/4 length sleeves) Or should I wait for the "second date"?

So I have a question

I'm a girl, about to visit a program (in the sciences) that I've already been accepted to.

As far as clothes go, I'll be doing casual but presentable

BUT

I'm moderately-heavily tattooed (arms, neck, feet, etc). I can conceal everything as long as I'm wearing long sleeves and my hair is down (which I do for professional events) but I'm not sure how to approach it for visiting day. I guess I just don't have a clear grasp of how people view tattoos anymore- big issue? little issue? non-issue? 

Would it be a mistake to let a little art show? (e.g. wearing 3/4 length sleeves) Or should I wait for the "second date"?

I once had a math professor tell our class that "No one cares what you dress like as long as your proofs are elegant."

For your visit, I'd recommend letting a little bit of your ink show.  You've already been accepted, and if it's going to be a problem I think it'd be better to know sooner rather than later.  If they're going to be uncomfortable with it, just imagine how uncomfortable you'd be at that school after X-many years.

Of course, I'm living in Portland and did my BA/MA in Eugene.  If the 1" gauges and full facial tattoos don't phase us out here, nothing will.

• 2 weeks later...

Dal phDer mentioned what the undergrad students were wearing that might be poor choices and it made me think of something I think is soooo important- in academia at 9 am or at the club at midnight:

DO NOT wear shoes you can't walk in.  It doesn't matter how cute the kitten heels, 5" wedges, or pointy boots might be- if you look like a flamingo with a bladder control problem because you can't walk in them, don't wear them.  I see younger girls doing this all the time but older women occasionally as well.  I wear heels most days and am pretty comfortable with most heel heights, so it's not like I am anti-cute shoes or anything. I simply don't think women realize how strange they look though when they have this footwear problem.

LOVE the flamingo comparison.

On the metro the other week, a peer and I saw a women with a large suitcase and 4-5" stiletto booties. We marveled at how uncomfortable she looked.

Edited by GreenePony

if you look like a flamingo with a bladder control problem because you can't walk in them, don't wear them. 

thank you for supplying a lifetime first for me: spitting out my drink (i would say water, but.. well.. it may or may not be a bourbon and lemonade) from laughing so hard.

i'm a sucker for cute heels — not all archaeologists are poorly dressed, i swear! — but i always carry a pair of comfy, super-worn-in flats with me. i have a coral pair with flowers (same material as the shoes) on the front, and another muted gold pair; between the two, i can't think of any business/professional outfits i have that wouldn't match one or both. it's nice to have an excuse to carry around a big, bright, adorable bag anyway!

edit: as much as i like cute clothes, i should also note that i spend a lot of my time in wolverine steel-toed boots, carhartt carpenter pants, extremely unflattering field shirts and fleeces, and a camo budweiser hat, so take my advice with a grain of salt. i'm only a shovel bum, after all.

Edited by pears

OOOh- A Montana lemonade!

thank you for supplying a lifetime first for me: spitting out my drink (i would say water, but.. well.. it may or may not be a bourbon and lemonade) from laughing so hard.

I often keep an extra pair of flats in the car, bag, whatever.  Once I wear a pair of heels a time or two, I can pretty much tell which ones are all-day buddies and which ones are going to be rejected though. I also have a couple pairs that I will wear if I am going to be doing a lot of sitting- but not if I know I will be on my feet all day.  It's silly that we spend this much time obsessing about it but I love my shoes and I don't care if people think they are silly. Besides, being 5'10" makes heels a necessity :D

Besides, being 5'10" makes heels a necessity :D

I'm curious about the height/heels thing here.  All the tall girls and women I know talk about how heels make them too tall.

I was joking.  Heels usually do make me feel pretty tall.  Lots of tall female friends though so we all stand out rather than just one giant.  The only time it has ever been a "problem" is being around shorter men who were in a position of authority.  Being much taller than them can create a weird dynamic- particularly if they have insecurities about their own height. The rest of the time, I love being tall.

*Sidenote- Jr high dances sucked too. Being that taller than all the boys who hadn't hit their growth spurts yet made for some painful early teen moments. Aside from that particular time, I love being tall.

I have a vaguely related question to this thread, and I'd like to get some opinions.

I've got a big engagement ring. The diamond is an heirloom stone passed down through my family, so we/my fiance didn't spend much getting it set, BUT the ring is worth quite a lot due to the large diamond (had to get it appraised to get it insured). I also have tiny hands, so it looks even bigger.

I'll be married when I start my program, and my simple wedding band can be worn with or without the (admittedly flashy) engagement ring. My coworkers ALL remarked on how big the diamond was, and so I know people really notice it (I think they were surprised at the size in part because my fiance is a grad student, and I also don't make much money). While I really like having the family heirloom with me at all times, I've been debating if it's more "professional" to store the engagement ring away in a safety deposit box and just wear the wedding band while in school.

So what are your opinions about a flashy engagement ring while in grad school?

I have a vaguely related question to this thread, and I'd like to get some opinions.   I've got a big engagement ring. The diamond is an heirloom stone passed down through my family, so we/my fiance didn't spend much getting it set, BUT the ring is worth quite a lot due to the large diamond (had to get it appraised to get it insured). I also have tiny hands, so it looks even bigger.   I'll be married when I start my program, and my simple wedding band can be worn with or without the (admittedly flashy) engagement ring. My coworkers ALL remarked on how big the diamond was, and so I know people really notice it (I think they were surprised at the size in part because my fiance is a grad student, and I also don't make much money). While I really like having the family heirloom with me at all times, I've been debating if it's more "professional" to store the engagement ring away in a safety deposit box and just wear the wedding band while in school.   So what are your opinions about a flashy engagement ring while in grad school?
Pah. As long as you aren't also cracking your gum and twirling your hair while mooning about your fiancé in class, I think it'll be fine. If you really love and want to wear your ring, do so! People will get over it, or may not even notice. Let the quality of your work speak for itself and the ring will be a non-issue. Some sexist asshats may be stuffy about it, but they'll just have to deal with the fact that diamonds and brains can, in fact, go together. One thing: it looks like you're in a science-y field. Large rings and labs may not work for safety reasons, but outside of lab, do what you want!

I have a vaguely related question to this thread, and I'd like to get some opinions.

I've got a big engagement ring. The diamond is an heirloom stone passed down through my family, so we/my fiance didn't spend much getting it set, BUT the ring is worth quite a lot due to the large diamond (had to get it appraised to get it insured). I also have tiny hands, so it looks even bigger.

I'll be married when I start my program, and my simple wedding band can be worn with or without the (admittedly flashy) engagement ring. My coworkers ALL remarked on how big the diamond was, and so I know people really notice it (I think they were surprised at the size in part because my fiance is a grad student, and I also don't make much money). While I really like having the family heirloom with me at all times, I've been debating if it's more "professional" to store the engagement ring away in a safety deposit box and just wear the wedding band while in school.

You GO girl.  I don't see how this can be construed as unprofessional dress, it's your ring!  So what if it's large, if it was small it would be more appropriate to wear?  Either way, most of what it communicates about you is your marital status not your level of professionalism.  Now, I might be jealous of its size as a female colleague, and that might lead me to comment on it, but it wouldn't make me think of you differently (except I would probably assume you had a sweet beach-front house you had never invited me to...and I thought we were friends!) ;)

Heh, I think I may be going in the opposite direction of many people here.  I have been dressing business casual for the past 2 years in a "real" job, and I am super excited that I can wear my jeans and t-shirts again that I haven't worn during weekdays since undergrad!  Shoes won't be a big change, since I just got a pair of "nice" black gym shoes instead of my normal ones to wear here.  Although I am extremely short (under 5'), I do not wear heels.

I was in sort of the same place in undergrad. DH and I got engaged between my sophomore and junior year and while engagements are completely normal, the size of my stone was not (especially since I was in the humanities). In the end, I wore the ring when it was practical (studying in Guate, not so much) and didn't make a big deal of it.

Once we got married between Junior and Senior year, I alternated between wearing both rings (which DH preferred, he is proud of the ring since he designed it) and just my band. Just because I think the ring is too much for my volunteering (I don't want to submerge diamond and sapphires in 97% ethyl and bone grease), I tend to wear my band more often. But even when I wear my e-ring, no one really comments.

Regardless, make sure you have good insurance (my band is currently missing after making dinner tonight, so we might have to use ours :unsure: )

Edited by GreenePony