Dressing the Part . . . for Girls!

It's not the fastest or easiest way, but I would suggest not sticking with one brand and finding products that you like, regardless of the brand. I also second Sephora, if there is one near you or if you will be near one when you're in grad school. You can try just about everything. Just to give you a heads up, it's a bit pricey (some of it really, really pricey).

Ohhh, I LOVE Sephora, my heartbeat quickens when I'm in that store. Someone was asking about mineral make-up before, I've used Bare Essentuals for the longest time (I have olive skin tone) but recently they haven't been shipping it to Canada b/c of the offical SPF label on the packaging. I was advised to switch to the Sephora Brand Mineral Make-up and although I was apprehensive at first, I find it to be better than Bare Essentuals. It's not as glowy, and more matte, so I can get away with using a bit more in certain areas where I need it without looking too made up. It's also cheaper and you get more for a lower price. It also has all the perks of BE (i.e. the SPF, etc.).

On topic: I can't believe I didn't find this thread sooner! I have been struggling with this 'issue' for awhile. I'm a feminine typical "city" girl who likes to wear boots in the Fall (I'm from Toronto) along with blazers and blouses layerd with cardigans. I also experiment quite a bit with jewellery (I recently splurged on a Michael Kors goldtone watch). Being in the sciences though, I feel I have had to tone down my feminity in order to fit in. During my MSc, I was the only girl in the lab with guys who wore nothing but tshirts and jeans and I always felt too dressed up (even though by regular standards of professional attire, I was just well-dressed). So, I ended up not wearing A LOT of my clothes just so I didn't appear too girly, or someone who was too interested in her appearance to actually be able to 'do' science.

Suffice it to say, I regret a lot of who I became during the last 2 years. I'm moving to the west coast for a PhD (UBC), and refuse to let other people dictate how I'm going to look or what I'm going to wear. What is the point of having all those nice clothes when I seldom get to wear them. For fellow science female graduate students, wear ALL your nice clothes, and embrace your femininity. People who are going to take you seriously, will do so regardless of the way you dress, and those who are going to judge, aren't worth your time anyway.

Having said that, some of my favourite stores are Club Monaco, Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters and Banana Republic, along with any good thrift store. I don't believe in bargain shopping but rather paying the price for clothes that are staples (and not trendy) and will last me a couple of seasons. For shoes, I generally wear pointy flats in the summer (comfy but dressy enough for work), leather boots in the Fall, and waterproof boots for the snowy/rainy winters (Burberry has some very nice patterned rubber boots for $200 that will last you a long long time!).

Suffice it to say, I regret a lot of who I became during the last 2 years. I'm moving to the west coast for a PhD (UBC), and refuse to let other people dictate how I'm going to look or what I'm going to wear. What is the point of having all those nice clothes when I seldom get to wear them. For fellow science female graduate students, wear ALL your nice clothes, and embrace your femininity. People who are going to take you seriously, will do so regardless of the way you dress, and those who are going to judge, aren't worth your time anyway.

Haters gonna hate, and everyone else can just get in line to appreciate a strong, intelligent woman with a sense of vision and authenticity. Dressing to impress may not be the *highest* priority in a lab, but it certainly shouldn't detract from anyone's opinion of your value and contributions. When it comes to conferences and meetings and seminars? You're obviously going to be on your game. Yours is a happy sort of story, methinks.

Thank you so much for saying this! I've been looking forward to building up an adult wardrobe that's more refined than my tees and shorts uniform, but I've been starting to feel like it'd be out of place in the science environment.

Hear hear!

(Also, off-topic, but heh: I'm from B.C. and I'm moving to Toronto to go to grad-school. Want to exchange a high-five between airplanes somewhere over Saskatchewan? * grins *)

poco_puffs: I agree, I take all experiences in life (good and bad) as positives, how are we to learn if we don't mess up and make mistakes along the way?

Robin N: You are welcome! :) You'll feel out of place initially, but soon people will come to expect that from you and it will be no big deal! They'll realize that frumpy and scientifically-inclined don't always go together. Just be true to who you are and cater to your own likes/wants.

psycholinguist: Haha, yess! I'm going to try and not sound like I have that arrogant/crackberry-addicted/center-of-the-universe attitude the rest of Canada thinks Torontonians have, but you are going to LOVE it here! I spent 6 years at UofT (BSc+MSc) and grew up around Toronto and am very very sad to leave. I have been to Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver and I have to say if you're looking for a safe, involved, cultured, city life, Toronto is the place to be! Will you be going to UofT? Where are you going to live? I want to write a list of things you must do/try before the summer is over but I'm going to practice some self-restraint. I'm very excited for how amazing your life is going be.

Edited by annie hall

psycholinguist: Haha, yess! I'm going to try and not sound like I have that arrogant/crackberry-addicted/center-of-the-universe attitude the rest of Canada thinks Torontonians have, but you are going to LOVE it here! I spent 6 years at UofT (BSc+MSc) and grew up around Toronto and am very very sad to leave. I have been to Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver and I have to say if you're looking for a safe, involved, cultured, city life, Toronto is the place to be! Will you be going to UofT? Where are you going to live? I want to write a list of things you must do/try before the summer is over but I'm going to practice some self-restraint. I'm very excited for how amazing your life is going be.

* laughs * No worries! I already know I love Toronto. Never lived there, but I've visited (or travelled there with an overnight or two) about fifteen times. I'm already getting so excited about moving out there; I've set up a map on Google Maps with something like 40 stores and museums and concert-halls and landmarks that I want to keep in mind! Heh! But totally feel free to inundate me with lists (though maybe through PM so we don't hijack the thread...heh). In fact, I'm feeling tempted to do the same for you and Vancouver (well, unless you already know the city). And yep, I'm going to be at the U of T (downtown, that is), and I'm thrilled. I went out there in July and found a tiny but totally adorable apartment in the Annex, within walking-distance of everything I need. w00t!

I could use some advice...My grad school orientation is on Friday and I am at a loss as to how to dress. On the one hand, I think I should be comfortable, but on the other hand I want to make a good impression. unsure.gif How dressed up should I be? It is a department specific orientation and I am going to be studying and working around these people for the next couple of years so I want to make a good impression.

I have a very nice pair of black dress pants that I could wear. I also have a pair of dark washed "nice" jeans that are not completely dressy but still nicer than what I would wear to clean out my garage. wink.gif

What about tops? I was planning on a t-shirt (no logos, designs, etc...just plain) and then either sweater/hoodie or a blazer?

For shoes, I was planning on flats since we are supposed to take a walking tour of the campus, libraries, etc. Is that too casual?

Thanks for any help! I haven't been this nervous about what I was going to wear in years! smile.gif

I could use some advice...My grad school orientation is on Friday and I am at a loss as to how to dress. On the one hand, I think I should be comfortable, but on the other hand I want to make a good impression. unsure.gif How dressed up should I be? It is a department specific orientation and I am going to be studying and working around these people for the next couple of years so I want to make a good impression.

I have a very nice pair of black dress pants that I could wear. I also have a pair of dark washed "nice" jeans that are not completely dressy but still nicer than what I would wear to clean out my garage. wink.gif

What about tops? I was planning on a t-shirt (no logos, designs, etc...just plain) and then either sweater/hoodie or a blazer?

For shoes, I was planning on flats since we are supposed to take a walking tour of the campus, libraries, etc. Is that too casual?

Thanks for any help! I haven't been this nervous about what I was going to wear in years! smile.gif

To be honest, I have the same dilemma. But I think what I'm going to do is just wear whatever I would wear to a new internship, at least for the first couple of weeks or so. Then I might slowly shift into slightly more casual attire. Then again, I am one of the younger ones in my cohort, so I want to make sure people view me as a serious and professional woman rather than some happy-go-lucky little girl.

I think flats are fine for this kind of thing. I can't imagine ever going to school in heels, although that might be just me. The pants sound fine. The T-Shirt seems fine as well as long as there is something over it so it doesn't look too plain, like the sweater or the blazer you mentioned. I would maybe not wear a hoodie on the first day, because that would destroy any professional look you're trying to create.

psycholinguist: I also had a tiny but cute apartment while living in Toronto, only it was in the gay village off Yonge/Wellesley. The Annex is such a great place to live! You have to try the perogies at Future's cafe (out on the patio, while you people watch) and then go book-shopping at BMV (so much better and cheaper than Chapters/Indigo). You also have to try Sushi on Bloor for all-around good sushi and Big Sushi for their amazing, slightly spicy Volcano Rolls. For dessert you should try lemon chiffon icecream from Greg's, although all their icecream is yummy (everything that I've mentioned thus far is east of Spadina but west of Bathurst right on Bloor). That's just quick stuff that's probably at your doorstep, I'm going to start compiling a list and then PM you! And yes! Please feel inclined to do the same for me! I will be living near 12th and Discovery (so much different than my life right at Yonge/Bloor), I know the neighbourhoods of Vancouver but nothing too detailed about what to try/eat/do/see etc. Everything I've been advised to do involves the outdoors which is fine, but you can't do that on a Friday night when you just want to relax and hang out somewhere fun and exciting. I did try Pepitas (Burrard and 4th) hoping for some good Ceviche and Mexican food (not TexMex) and it wasn't bad!

PastHistory: Why not try a cute blouse with an interesting pattern or a dress shirt that's not traditionally structured instead of a plain t-shirt? Something like these maybe?1T36VM0margld.jpgdiane-von-furstenberg-mala-floral-blouse-2-150x150.jpg

That way you can do away with the sweater/blazer (it's still warm in September in Canada/US so you won't have to worry about carrying it when walking outside around campus) and yet still look refined. The pants and flats sound great though!

Edited by annie hall

PastHistory: Why not try a cute blouse with an interesting pattern or a dress shirt that's not traditionally structured instead of a plain t-shirt? Something like these maybe?1T36VM0margld.jpgdiane-von-furstenberg-mala-floral-blouse-2-150x150.jpg

That way you can do away with the sweater/blazer (it's still warm in September in Canada/US so you won't have to worry about carrying it when walking outside around campus) and yet still look refined. The pants and flats sound great though!

I agree with annie hall. For my dept. orientation, I'm planning to wear a nice shirt with nice jeans and flats. I'm planning to dress it up a little more for my one-day university orientation, since some depts. are dressier. I don't want to look less professional than others.

I just moved to Kalamazoo, MI and have been preparing for my first day of grad school--I, too, feel like I'm a freshman all over again--by combing thrift stores and garage sales for semi-professional/casual clothing. I found the cutest Nine West tops at some woman's unassuming garage sale for $1 each, and I also found sweaters, button-up blouses, and other great items really cheaply.

Another suggestion, though: Some friends of mine and I started a clothing swap two years ago every January. We would save up things throughout the year (or even just six months prior to the swap) and spend one evening drinking cocktails, eating appetizers, and trying on all of the clothing everyone had brought. I got a great suit from The Limited, two pairs of dress pants, and a blazer (with the tags still on) all for the price of a great night with my friends.

The catch: Be sure to make friends with ladies who are already young professionals. They have nice clothing. :)

Another suggestion, though: Some friends of mine and I started a clothing swap two years ago every January. We would save up things throughout the year (or even just six months prior to the swap) and spend one evening drinking cocktails, eating appetizers, and trying on all of the clothing everyone had brought. I got a great suit from The Limited, two pairs of dress pants, and a blazer (with the tags still on) all for the price of a great night with my friends.

The catch: Be sure to make friends with ladies who are already young professionals. They have nice clothing. :)

That is such a good idea!

man, i probably should've worried this much about my wardrobe in my first year, but i didn't. for the grad orientation and my first meeting with my advisor, i went with some black patent leather flats, some knee-length skirts, and 3/4 sleeve t-shirts/sweaters. maybe i kept that up for the first session of each class i took, but then i dropped the pretense. spent the remainder of the semester in jeans, t-shirts, cardigans, and either flip flops, some black clarks (that would look more professional if they weren't so worn out), or my beloved neon yellow/green/purple pumas. the transition to short sleeves after the first week meant professors could see my tattoos, but that didn't matter much. all it really did was mean that whenever i met a new prof, he or she would ask me about my tattoos before drilling me about my progress on my thesis.

i do go a bit more casual than most, but i'd say tshirts/sweaters, jeans, sneakers, and a tailored pea-coat is a pretty common look in my department (history). as is jeans, flats, blouse-y top, cardigan. at the very end of the spring semester some girls break out the sundresses (usually plus cardigan, maybe with a wedge, often with just flats) and that seems youthful but professional enough.

most save the dress pants, heels, and more "professional" flats for when they TA. but i can't imagine getting too dressed up for that after the first couple weeks. my sneaker fetish will not allow it.

I thought the other thread was a great idea, but it seems very "boy-focused." I figured it might be better if someone started a separate thread for girls.

I'm hoping to revamp my wardrobe as well and give it a more "academic professional" look. Basically, I'm looking for clothes that are "nice, but not TOO nice." I'm worried that fancy designer clothes will not only break my wallet, but also make me look a bit too pretentious ("How does she have the time/money to dress like that? Does she even bother to open a book?"). I tend to overthink things and I may be doing so here. But does anyone have any ideas of kinds of clothes that will look professional, but at the same time not look like I have a personal shopper and a 6 figure salary?

I dress simply, and for comfort and enjoyment. My personal style is "boho", I guess, if you had to term it as something - a lot of long flowy skirts, which I pair with simple colored tops, tunics, and sweaters; linen pants with peasant woven tops; maxi dresses worn with sweaters; tweed skirts and sweaters with boots in the winter; accessories are scarves, necklaces, earrings, occasionally rings, and hairsticks/other hairtoys (( have very long hair, which I always wear in an updo for work/school). I get complimented often on my appearance when I go to conferences, and have never had anyone say I look unprofessional - but at the same time, I am not and never have been a slacks and blazer or suit or business casual kind of gal, and I think dressing in a way that doesn't represent you makes you feel uncomfortable and fraudulent. You need to find a style that works with your view of who you are both as a student and as a person and, ultimately, as a professional teacher, if that's where you are going. It takes time, trial and error to cultivate a look that works for you across the board, but when you do figure it out, it gets very easy to maintain. :)

• 7 months later...

I have a question- namely, winter footwear.

What are you ladies wearing for the icy/snowing parts of the year? Will you be sporting winter boots the entire time, or do you have other footwear that works well in less-favorable conditions?

Coming from New Mexico I'm not quite sure how to handle my feet and fashion in snow and ice.

I just came from visits to Wisconsin and Cornell (cold places!) and solid, cute, tall boots were 'in'. In fact, a friend at Cornell told me that if I invested in anything going into grad school, it should be warm boots! and another, coming from Florida to Wisconsin, said that once she bought boots, she wasn't desperately cold anymore... I'm going to find leather boots - likely Keen brand (google search Keen boots). oh, and I'll buy some cheap galloshes/wellies for wet days or days when I want to bring nice shoes with me to campus and put them on there. Hope that helps!

Hi there!

I'm glad I found this forum.

I am French and I have always worn dresses - I absolutely hate jeans and most trousers. Skirt hardly ever look good or appropriate on me because I am quite tall.

I am starting a PhD at an ivy in September, and I was rather surprised to notice that on all the research groups' photos, everyone, boys & girls, are wearing the same jeans+T-shirt combo! I am going into a heavily male orientated area as well, and I feel I will really stand out if I am the only one wearing a dress.

I don't want to sound like I am complaining, but I actually was a model, and even without wearing any make-up or accessories (which I avoid like the plague), men in my professional area tend to think I am a fashion obsessed air-headed girl who cannot be trusted. My supervisor has even once commented that I was in fact much cleverer than I looked!

What is your opinion/experience with this?

I don't want to sound like I am complaining, but I actually was a model, and even without wearing any make-up or accessories (which I avoid like the plague), men in my professional area tend to think I am a fashion obsessed air-headed girl who cannot be trusted. My supervisor has even once commented that I was in fact much cleverer than I looked!

I had a similar experience.

I am very fashion conscious: I read fashion blogs/magazines and dress nicely. I dont do it for other people, I do it for myself. It alleviates my mood if I wear something chic. Men (and women, especially!!!) that are not in my cohort usually underestimate me; but, once they take a class or work with me, doubts are generally disappeared :P. Just be yourself.

Wow, what a useful thread! Thanks for all of the replies!

I was wondering if anyone here is in a grad program that requires working with elementary school kids. I'm doing teaching and I have to do placements (practice teaching) at elementary schools. I saw the responses about teaching at the high school and university levels, but I was wondering if clothing would still be as big of an issue if I was teaching the younger grades. Would some of these styles would seem "overdone" if I used them in an elementary school setting? Would you dress more "formally," even if the rest of the school had teachers dressing more casually? Thoughts?

Edited by csychology

I was wondering if anyone here is in a grad program that requires working with elementary school kids. I'm doing teaching and I have to do placements (practice teaching) at elementary schools. I saw the responses about teaching at the high school and university levels, but I was wondering if clothing would still be as big of an issue if I was teaching the younger grades. Would some of these styles would seem "overdone" if I used them in an elementary school setting? Would you dress more "formally," even if the rest of the school had teachers dressing more casually? Thoughts?

I have no experience with teaching elementary school kids, but I think you should adjust your style to match the "formality level" of your peers. If they dress casually, you should too. For the first day, I'd go a bit more formal to be on the safe side. You can observe what others are wearing.

I would assume slightly less formal attire than older kids, as you're naturally going to be moving around and stooping down more. If the teachers at your school dress more casually and you want to dress more nicely, I don't really see a problem with that. As long as it's not "scrubs" vs. suiting attire. I think when you're teaching little kids, your comfort is going to take a slight precedence over professional appearance, save for events like parents' nights and open houses, etc.

Has anybody had any good experiences with makeup, mineral or otherwise? I'm looking into finding a brand I like and I thought you ladies might have suggestions.

It's pricey, but Mac is good. And I'm allergic to pretty much everything. Clinique is also good, but similarly pricey. Plus, both hold up better than most regular brands (i.e. Loreal, Revlon, etc) over the day and lead to less break-outs (although my conclusions about the breakouts are spurious because I didn't start wearing expensive make-up until after I was 20).

• 3 weeks later...

I just came from visits to Wisconsin and Cornell (cold places!) and solid, cute, tall boots were 'in'. In fact, a friend at Cornell told me that if I invested in anything going into grad school, it should be warm boots! and another, coming from Florida to Wisconsin, said that once she bought boots, she wasn't desperately cold anymore... I'm going to find leather boots - likely Keen brand (google search Keen boots). oh, and I'll buy some cheap galloshes/wellies for wet days or days when I want to bring nice shoes with me to campus and put them on there. Hope that helps!

I've just found this thread, and it's awesome! Nice work, ladies. GardeningGrad, and anyone else, I'm hoping I can get some advice: I've spent the last 6 years in Boston, and I'm heading to Florida this summer to start my PhD. This whole sunshine/warm weather thing is COMPLETELY foreign to me... any suggestions on dressing for the heat and still looking professional?

I've just found this thread, and it's awesome! Nice work, ladies. GardeningGrad, and anyone else, I'm hoping I can get some advice: I've spent the last 6 years in Boston, and I'm heading to Florida this summer to start my PhD. This whole sunshine/warm weather thing is COMPLETELY foreign to me... any suggestions on dressing for the heat and still looking professional?

Yes please I need advice on dressing professionally in an oppressively hot climate! I'm a northern girl and realized I have NO professional-looking summer clothes!

You could totally only wear dresses. If not dresses, then skirts. Both'll allow your body to breath and mitigate some of the humidity. That way, you can wear flats without socks, instead of wearing socks and tennis shoes. My friend who attends UF for Art History says the body of students typically wear regular clothes, including shorts, etc.

Funny thing though! I'm coming from Georgia to Boston, so maybe you could help me out? ^_~