Dressing the Part . . . for Girls!

I've just found this thread, and it's awesome! Nice work, ladies. GardeningGrad, and anyone else, I'm hoping I can get some advice: I've spent the last 6 years in Boston, and I'm heading to Florida this summer to start my PhD. This whole sunshine/warm weather thing is COMPLETELY foreign to me... any suggestions on dressing for the heat and still looking professional?

I'm also in Boston, but working during the summer I always had at least a bit of a walk to the subway and had a later start, so it was often already quite toasty when I was leaving. DRESSES. Seriously, go to the Wrentham Outlets, go to TJ Maxx, go to the sale racks, and buy lots and lots of dresses! Bring along a cardigan or light jacket for over-ACed interiors and you're good to go. This was my go-to summer wardrobe, with a few skirts thrown in as well. Super comfy, and easy to transition to things like going out to dinner, or grabbing drinks with friends after classes are over.

Funny thing though! I'm coming from Georgia to Boston, so maybe you could help me out? ^_~

I've been in Boston for 7 years, so I can comment. My staple is the classic New England peacoat - I bought this coat (in black) from Amazon about five years ago, and I wear it every day in the winter. (Now is the perfect time to grab one, actually; they're a bit pricey, but they go on sale in the spring. Mine was 70% off IIRC. And unless you go mud-wrestling in it, a decent peacoat will last you through grad school easily.)

When I started college, my next-door neighbor in the dorm was from Georgia; she bought a floor-length down coat that we referred to as the "sleeping bag with legs". Truthfully, though, it doesn't get that cold. It's not Chicago - we're right next to the ocean. It'll go below freezing for a month straight, but it'll be high 20s - low 30s for most of it. I do own a ski parka, but it never even came out of the closet this winter, and there are only a few days a year where you'd want one.

A few winter hats are a must - otherwise your ears will freeze. A scarf or two is nice also. Gloves are essential if you plan to bike through the winter, but otherwise you can always just stick your hands in your pockets. I also have a collection of fleece sweaters that I can layer with the coat, and help to deal with uneven heating once I'm inside. (If you wanted to be more classy, I suppose you could do the same with some nice cardigans.)

Remember that it does get hot here too, so you can bring your old wardrobe - the hot season is just shorter.

I've been in Boston for 7 years, so I can comment. My staple is the classic New England peacoat - I bought this coat (in black) from Amazon about five years ago, and I wear it every day in the winter. (Now is the perfect time to grab one, actually; they're a bit pricey, but they go on sale in the spring. Mine was 70% off IIRC. And unless you go mud-wrestling in it, a decent peacoat will last you through grad school easily.)

When I started college, my next-door neighbor in the dorm was from Georgia; she bought a floor-length down coat that we referred to as the "sleeping bag with legs". Truthfully, though, it doesn't get that cold. It's not Chicago - we're right next to the ocean. It'll go below freezing for a month straight, but it'll be high 20s - low 30s for most of it. I do own a ski parka, but it never even came out of the closet this winter, and there are only a few days a year where you'd want one.

A few winter hats are a must - otherwise your ears will freeze. A scarf or two is nice also. Gloves are essential if you plan to bike through the winter, but otherwise you can always just stick your hands in your pockets. I also have a collection of fleece sweaters that I can layer with the coat, and help to deal with uneven heating once I'm inside. (If you wanted to be more classy, I suppose you could do the same with some nice cardigans.)

Remember that it does get hot here too, so you can bring your old wardrobe - the hot season is just shorter.

I also want to add that you'll want a pair of boots for those winter months, and I'd recommend something more substantial than Uggs. You want something that will keep you warm but also survive getting wet and trudging through sand, salt, sludge, and everything else that comes along with snow, think North Face or LLBean or something similar. Splurge a little and you'll get a pair that will last you for multiple winters, and those transitions in between seasons, too.

I'd second the no uggs in Boston. I did my undergrad there and they salt so the snow melts so at the curbs there are usually puddles hidden under a bank of snow that you have to step through to cross the street. If you are wearing uggs, your feet will get wet. Ugg "winter boots" are also not waterproof so avoid at all cost.

I'm a born-and-raised Mid-Atlantic girl, and I have to say that I'd find the winters freezing if I only had a pea coat, depending on the amount of walking I were to do outside. Growing up in the suburbs a pea coat worked out fine, but once I started working in center city Philly after undergrad I found I was cold all the time once December hit and needed a second coat. A nice coat with some proportion of down filling is a nice thing to have; I bought mine on a pre-Thanksgiving sale at Macy's for at least half off (Liz Claiborne!!) and I'm so glad I did. LL Bean and Eddie Bauer also make nice, warm coats that can still look somewhat dressy.

A pair of galoshes is a surprisingly awesome thing to have on hand. Zappos has some cheap and durable pairs. I bought my last pair at Target for $20 and regret it; they're only about a year old but falling apart (I walk a mile each way to school).

I'd second the no uggs in Boston. I did my undergrad there and they salt so the snow melts so at the curbs there are usually puddles hidden under a bank of snow that you have to step through to cross the street. If you are wearing uggs, your feet will get wet. Ugg "winter boots" are also not waterproof so avoid at all cost.

I've never understood the supposed utility of Uggs.

I got a really trendy, waterproof, warm, and all-around functional pair of snow boots off of Piperlime. I bought them in June, so they were priced 60% off. I recommend trying to shop for snow boots off season!

• 3 months later...

I've been saying for 3 years that when I started grad school I would shave my head.

It wouldn't look any less professional than my uncontrollable semi-afro, so. Plus, given the town where I'm going to school, it would make me blend in more with the townsfolk and long-term grads that are already here.

I'm not sure if I'm going to follow through... I should! I shouldn't. I should! I shouldn't. dry.gif

I shaved my head in March of this year, and it has been amazing for the summer months! BUT it is taking forever to grow back out, and right now I am sporting something of a mullet. The worst part is, since I want to go back to long hair, I can't keep cutting the party end off in the hopes that it will style right. I tried...it just keeps coming back. SO I'm just not touching my hair for at least a few more months, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will look cute again soon!

Uggs (or rather sheepskin lined boots - Uggs are priced outrageously; I bought some Bearpaws on Amazon.com for $30) are nice for the winter if it's cold AND dry. They do keep your feet and lower legs quite warm and yet not sweaty. But they are not functional winter boots; I got a pair of Sorel snow boots (also on Amazon.com for some ridiculous discount) for when it snows in earnest because the sheepskin boots are not waterproof.

Uggs (or rather sheepskin lined boots - Uggs are priced outrageously; I bought some Bearpaws on Amazon.com for $30) are nice for the winter if it's cold AND dry. They do keep your feet and lower legs quite warm and yet not sweaty. But they are not functional winter boots; I got a pair of Sorel snow boots (also on Amazon.com for some ridiculous discount) for when it snows in earnest because the sheepskin boots are not waterproof.

I really do not like Uggs. I feel like they are lazy shoes. Like wearing sweatpants outside (my dad has raised me to think this is a terrible thing to do). There are so many nicer looking winter boots, that are cheaper than Uggs. I will admit I do have a pair of fake Uggs for shoveling snow though....they are warm and comfy.

• 8 months later...

Well, I wear nice clothes and heels even when everyone else is in t-shirts and old sneakers. In my experience, very few grad school situations require anything more than jeans and a nice blouse or sweater, though this might vary institutionally. At conferences I favour blazers and tailored pants, but not in matching shades so as not to look too formal. I'm also a HUGE fan of quality over quantity. Does anyone else use expensive skincare/foundation/concealer and cheap-o mascara and eyeliner?

I'll be studying in Wales where it apparently rains every day but it gets cold every once in awhile. For those in the Pacific Northwest (UOregon, I'm looking at you), I recommend a trench coat with a removable liner. Mine has a fleece lining that I can zip out when it's too warm for them and it's amazing. I don't know how I hadn't thought about it before.

As for the expensive foundation, cheap eyeliner, mascara - that's me! I use Pur Minerals primer and foundation and then Avon mascara and usually Covergirl or Revlon eyeliner. I don't see the point in expensive eyeliner or even mascara - I go through mascara so quickly it's not worth it.

Does anyone else use expensive skincare/foundation/concealer and cheap-o mascara and eyeliner?

Me. I use Bare Escentuals foundation and Bliss skincare. My mascara is actually pretty expensive, too (Korres) but I do wear Maybelline eyeliner from the drugstore. I also think I would much more easily replace my Korres mascara with drugstore mascara than I would my foundation. I love BE foundation.

Me. I use Bare Escentuals foundation and Bliss skincare. My mascara is actually pretty expensive, too (Korres) but I do wear Maybelline eyeliner from the drugstore. I also think I would much more easily replace my Korres mascara with drugstore mascara than I would my foundation. I love BE foundation.

I've been thinking about giving BE a try. I switched to Chanel after they discontinued my shade of By Terry (so sad!) and it was great for the first six months or so, but now it's not working out as well. (Seasonal thing?) For skincare I use products from Aesop, Kiehl's, and Caudalie. I sometimes use eyelash primer by Dior, but for mascara just Maybelline Great Lash. And it's funny, I've been using that stuff since I was 13. The packaging is so nostalgic for me. For eyeliner I just take Revlon or whatever's available at the drugstore in dark grey. I used to use Nars (love Nars eyeshadow), but then I realized that it's not much different from stuff that's 1/3 the price.

Edited by Sparrowing

i use pur minerals overall and bronzer. i go cheap on the mascara but expensive on the liquid eyeliner. too cheap and it doesn't go on smoothly. my eyeshadow's not the cheapest, but that doesn't matter because i don't actually wear shadow that often. i also go super-expensive on haircare products (i have curly hair that needs a lot of maintenance).

but clothes are just whatever. jeans and tshirts and sweater/cardigans pretty much all the time. sometimes leggings. shoes are either toms or converse lately. given that two of my profs showed up to my comps exam yesterday in jeans, sandals, and cotton tshirts (all three of them!), i don't feel much pressure to dress up. there are a lot of things that are fairly formal about my department, but that's not one of them.

Does anyone else use expensive skincare/foundation/concealer and cheap-o mascara and eyeliner?

This is me. I use higher end skincare and foundation. For eyeliner and mascara I use Maybelline and CoverGirl.

Maybe I missed it, but does anyone have suggestions for comfortable for walking but also dressier shoes?

Heels and those cute little ballet flats are out for me since I have to use orthotics (it's hard plastic so doesn't fit in heels and pops out of flats if the backs aren't deep enough)

This is the best I've found in real life, in a black patent, fairly comfortable but a bit young

Maybe I missed it, but does anyone have suggestions for comfortable for walking but also dressier shoes?

Heels and those cute little ballet flats are out for me since I have to use orthotics (it's hard plastic so doesn't fit in heels and pops out of flats if the backs aren't deep enough)

Thisis the best I've found in real life, in a black patent, fairly comfortable but a bit young

I don't have to wear orthotics, but I have a bad back so I have to wear quality shoes. I really enjoy Clarks. They're super comfy and they have some cuter styles.

I don't have to wear orthotics, but I have a bad back so I have to wear quality shoes. I really enjoy Clarks. They're super comfy and they have some cuter styles.

There are pretty cute ones there, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

You could totally only wear dresses. If not dresses, then skirts. Both'll allow your body to breath and mitigate some of the humidity. That way, you can wear flats without socks, instead of wearing socks and tennis shoes. My friend who attends UF for Art History says the body of students typically wear regular clothes, including shorts, etc.

Funny thing though! I'm coming from Georgia to Boston, so maybe you could help me out? ^_~

The Boston fall/winter uniform is a pea coat, fashionable and *waterproofed* leather or suede boots (NOT Uggs- like everyone else has said, they don't serve any function other than making girls look fashion-sense-less and lazy, and they get wicked salt stains and are not at all waterproof), pashmina scarves, and lots of layers. You can't go wrong with this stuff. The layering is critical because it's inevitably arctic outside (particularly with the wind chill), but if you get inside and it's sweltering because your school has the heat hiked up to about 95 degrees, you can just take off a few layers. Legwarmers under boots are also in right now. You can swap any of this out for a dress with tights (I know that H&M sells tights that are basically like ribbed sweaters for your legs, which are a staple for me) and the aforementioned layered sweaters and scarves.

I love wedges for dressy and comfortable and they're in style right now.

I live in Florida (went to and work at UF) and graduate students typically don't dress up for class (see: the heat) because dress clothes in Florida are basically are the same as in the north: dress, slacks, or skirt with blouse (get some short sleeved blouses that go over camisoles and you can take them off when walking outside. You won't normally be hot inside - Floridians live and die by air conditioning).

My mom has the same problem! Have you checked out Land's End?

I have a pair of Mary-Jane-esque shoes that are Land's End brand but bought at Sears and I LIVE in them. I can wear them with or w/o socks, get away with them with skirts, and are more professional than tennies but just as comfortable and quite sturdy for walking around. I've had them a few years, and I can't find mine on the website; these are the closest I can find on Land's End's site: http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-chalet-mary-jane-shoes~225225_253.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::DCT&CM_MERCH=search-_-mary+jane&origin=search

... and these are the closest at Sears: http://www.sears.com/i-love-comfort-women-s-charley-casual-shoe/p-05487475000P?prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6

Good luck!

http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-chalet-mary-jane-shoes~225225_253.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::DCT&CM_MERCH=search-_-mary+jane&origin=search

My mom has the same problem! Have you checked out Land's End?

I have a pair of Mary-Jane-esque shoes that are Land's End brand but bought at Sears and I LIVE in them. I can wear them with or w/o socks, get away with them with skirts, and are more professional than tennies but just as comfortable and quite sturdy for walking around. I've had them a few years, and I can't find mine on the website; these are the closest I can find on Land's End's site: http://www.landsend....e&origin=search

... and these are the closest at Sears: http://www.sears.com...=6&blockType=G6

Good luck!

http://www.landsend....e&origin=search

I think my mom has a pair very similar to what you posted from sears. I never thought of lands end either (I usually just think of them for backpacks) Thanks!