CGSM 2022-2023 Thread

carlrogersfan98

On 4/1/2022 at 4:02 PM, PsychFiend said:

First time applicant coming from my undergrad! Congrats to everyone who got offers and good luck to those still waiting! Ik it’s very common for the list to move and alot of ppl get offers in the summer, especially for SSHRC. Got an offer this morning from UofT for SSHRC and got “not offered” from Queen’s and UBC. I wonder if that’s because I rejected Queen’s and UBC’s grad studies offer and accepted UofT or if it’s totally unrelated? 

Happy abt the results, but a little sad about the clawback for my regular graduate funding ?

Congrats on the offer!  I also accepted UofT's grad studies offer, rejected western's and withdraw from UBC. I got "alternate" from UofT, and "not offered" from UBC and western. I guess they are somewhat related? Because I read from Reddit that you get withdrawn from the SSHRC pool if you rejected the program offer. Hope this help!!

2 minutes ago, wskkong said:

Congrats on the offer!  I also accepted UofT's grad studies offer, rejected western's and withdraw from UBC. I got "alternate" from UofT, and "not offered" from UBC and western. I guess they are somewhat related? Because I read from Reddit that you get withdrawn from the SSHRC pool if you rejected the program offer. Hope this help!!

Oohh I see, that’s really helpful to know, thank you!! Congrats on the UofT offer!!! And good luck on moving up on the list, keeping my finger’s crossed for u☺️?? 

1 hour ago, myrmidonqueen said:

I'm on the alternate list for Concordia University! Relieved that I didn't get flat out rejected!

In the event we receive an offer as alternates, will we receive an email from the research portal saying our status was updated again? Or do we just need to check the portal often on our own to see if the application status changes?

From what I understand, we should be receiving an email notifying us of any updates or changes to our status by email. But in the case that the email goes to spam or junk, I would check the portal daily to see if any new updates have been made on the research portal ?

Hi everyone! On April 1st I got "Alternate" on my CIHR application to the UofA. I found out shortly after that my alternate ranking is #5.

I'm wondering if anyone has been in my situation, and what you think my odds are of getting an offer.

TIA!

2 hours ago, grace1 said:

Hi everyone! On April 1st I got "Alternate" on my CIHR application to the UofA. I found out shortly after that my alternate ranking is #5.

I'm wondering if anyone has been in my situation, and what you think my odds are of getting an offer.

TIA!

Hi! I posted earlier in the forum (in as much detail as I could find out) about the chances of getting an offer and it seems the general consensus is that it's mainly down to luck, depending on whether or not people want to accept or reject it. 

But if you could help me with a question, I was wondering how you found out where your ranking was? Thanks!

16 hours ago, Kim.bopp said:

Hi! I posted earlier in the forum (in as much detail as I could find out) about the chances of getting an offer and it seems the general consensus is that it's mainly down to luck, depending on whether or not people want to accept or reject it. 

But if you could help me with a question, I was wondering how you found out where your ranking was? Thanks!

I found out through my school's "faculty of graduate studies and research" portal. Under the awards tab, I got a message from my department that outlined that I was unsuccessful but I was ranked as alternate #X.

And thanks for your insight!!

Just declined an offer at Ryerson so hoping that helps someone on the waitlist!

Also, when you accept, did anyone else have 3 dates in a dropdown menu? I'm assuming these are start dates because they were 2022-05-01, 2022-09-01, and 2023-01-01. I was a little impatient, clicked the one in September since that's when my course starts, and accepted it... but now just want to confirm!

2 hours ago, TheTreePrince said:

Just declined an offer at Ryerson so hoping that helps someone on the waitlist!

Also, when you accept, did anyone else have 3 dates in a dropdown menu? I'm assuming these are start dates because they were 2022-05-01, 2022-09-01, and 2023-01-01. I was a little impatient, clicked the one in September since that's when my course starts, and accepted it... but now just want to confirm!

Congratulations!! Yes those 3 dates are the only options you can pick as your scholarship start date. I also picked September for the same reasons.

2 hours ago, mindpower said:

On April 1st I was placed on the alternate list for SSHRC at McGill and today I was notified by email saying that my CGS-M application has cleared the alternate list and I was awarded SSHRC :) 

Hope this helps others who are also alternates! Best wishes!

Wow, CONGRATULATIONS!! That's so exciting!

Question, I thought that offers were sent out every 21 days because people have 21 days to accept or decline their offer. I guess this isn't the case, alternate -> accepted offers can be sent out any time?

Congrats again!!!

7 hours ago, grace1 said:

Wow, CONGRATULATIONS!! That's so exciting!

Question, I thought that offers were sent out every 21 days because people have 21 days to accept or decline their offer. I guess this isn't the case, alternate -> accepted offers can be sent out any time?

Congrats again!!!

Thank you so much!!! :)

It seems that every institution operates differently. I'm assuming that certain schools give out offers to alternates on a rolling basis as certain people decline received offers. Other schools might wait until after the 21 days are over and then make offers to alternates. This is just my guess but if anyone has more knowledge regarding this please let us know!!

13 hours ago, mindpower said:

On April 1st I was placed on the alternate list for SSHRC at McGill and today I was notified by email saying that my CGS-M application has cleared the alternate list and I was awarded SSHRC :) 

Hope this helps others who are also alternates! Best wishes!

Wow, that was fast!! Congrats!!

It seems so. I have applied to uOttawa and I’m on the alternate list. There is nothing much I can get from them. I asked for timelines and ranking and they didn’t share that information with me. I am guessing they will update it after 21 days have passed. It’s a frustrating process!

On 4/8/2022 at 7:32 AM, mindpower said:

Thank you so much!!! :)

It seems that every institution operates differently. I'm assuming that certain schools give out offers to alternates on a rolling basis as certain people decline received offers. Other schools might wait until after the 21 days are over and then make offers to alternates. This is just my guess but if anyone has more knowledge regarding this please let us know!!

It seems so. I have applied to uOttawa and I’m on the alternate list. There is nothing much I can get from them. I asked for timelines and ranking and they didn’t share that information with me. I am guessing they will update it after 21 days have passed. It’s a frustrating process!

Also not sure if this is gonna be useful to anyone but my status for UofT CGS-M changed from alternate to offered on April 4th (which I just noticed yesterday coz I didn't check for a week lol). So I'm assuming some schools may not wait for 21 days to give out the second round of offers. Hope this is helpful!

10 hours ago, wecandothis said:

Also not sure if this is gonna be useful to anyone but my status for UofT CGS-M changed from alternate to offered on April 4th (which I just noticed yesterday coz I didn't check for a week lol). So I'm assuming some schools may not wait for 21 days to give out the second round of offers. Hope this is helpful!

Wow that is awesome!! Congratulations!

On 4/13/2022 at 10:40 PM, wecandothis said:

Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, do you have any publications? I applied for CGSM at uoft too but still on alternate list :)

40 minutes ago, 989 said:

Congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, do you have any publications? I applied for CGSM at uoft too but still on alternate list :)

Thank you! I don't have any publications except a poster presentation. I was also a bit surprised but I believe according to their selection criteria posted, they value your academic excellence, research proposal, and reference letters more. Hope it helps and good luck!!:)

Feel free to dm if you wanna know more details of my profile:)

Edited by wecandothis

3 hours ago, brunchenthusiast said:

I'm getting so anxious to see if there will be decent movement on the alternate lists after the first 21 day period!! Anyone else?

Same here!! I wanna be hopeful but not too hopeful ahaha

• 2 weeks later...