CGSM 2022-2023 Thread

carlrogersfan98

Status just updated (phew!). Listed as Alternate for Ryerson University. Fingers crossed I get moved up :) 

Congrats to everyone so far! 

3 minutes ago, LAMSc said:

Does anyone still have "received by administrator "? and what that means ? 

Hi! Mine says that as well, but if you open the application, you should see an "application status" section that lists the universities you applied to & whether the funding was/wasn't offered 

3 minutes ago, lillibrella said:

Hi! Mine says that as well, but if you open the application, you should see an "application status" section that lists the universities you applied to & whether the funding was/wasn't offered 

I opened the application still same status. I didn't receive any update email as well ! I hope that won't mean rejected 

This is my first time applying but I'm very confused because I got an alternate at the University of Ottawa but I received a rejection from them for my admission status? Hypothetically if it were to change to accepted what would happen and is that even possible? This is for SSHRC for clinical psych

Edited by LAVAGIRL123

40 minutes ago, wskkong said:

congrats to those who receive the offer!!!!

First time applicant here, and am listed as an alternate for UofT ? 

SAD :(( but still have hope

Don't be sad! It is somewhat luck of the draw. Last year I was flat out denied both OGS and CGSM. If your program is two years then you have some time to think about how you can write a stronger proposal!

2 hours ago, safegarden said:

Don't be sad! It is somewhat luck of the draw. Last year I was flat out denied both OGS and CGSM. If your program is two years then you have some time to think about how you can write a stronger proposal!

im in a one-year program lol, so i guess it is what it is! keep hoping. But thank you nevertheless!!!

First time applicant coming from my undergrad! Congrats to everyone who got offers and good luck to those still waiting! Ik it’s very common for the list to move and alot of ppl get offers in the summer, especially for SSHRC. Got an offer this morning from UofT for SSHRC and got “not offered” from Queen’s and UBC. I wonder if that’s because I rejected Queen’s and UBC’s grad studies offer and accepted UofT or if it’s totally unrelated? 

Happy abt the results, but a little sad about the clawback for my regular graduate funding ?

I'm on the alternate list for Concordia University! Relieved that I didn't get flat out rejected!

In the event we receive an offer as alternates, will we receive an email from the research portal saying our status was updated again? Or do we just need to check the portal often on our own to see if the application status changes?

Hi everyone, I welcome feedback. This is my second year applying for my two-year program. I was waitlisted last year and I am waitlisted this year.

This program is my second terminal degree. I have a book coming out. I have many other peer reviewed scholarships, a record of success acquiring grants and presenting at national conferences, and am multidisciplinary. I have taught at and been interviewed with some of the most major institutions in North America for tenure track. I literally had a zoom interview with a major Canadian institution for tenure-track position the same morning that I saw I was waitlisted again. I have an A+ GPA. I have stellar letters of recommendation. I have extensive work both in the field and in scholarship. I hope I don’t offend anyone if I write WTF? I imagine many of us are feeling similarly.

I’m really grateful for my program (I actually love my program; it’s the best thing to have ever happened to me professionally ever) and all the funding that I do have, but I cannot help but feel extremely frustrated that over a decade of  work is not enough to get me this scholarship, while at the same time I am an active contender for some of the most major institutions in North America. I really hope that I get off the waitlist or get the OGS. It has been in an enormous financial risk to return to school for this program, and I have a family with disabilities to support.

I could go on. I will share that the people in my cohort are also incredibly talented and accomplished, which I’m sure represent many other people in my field going for the scholarship. That being said, even my graduate program director told one of my colleagues that she was confident I would get it this year. I am just mind blown.

I apologize for complaining. That is not my nature. All will be well. I do feel hurt but I’ll just conclude by sharing that I know somebody who never got any major grant, but got a tenure-track contract months before graduating, at her ideal institution. So there is hope. And I would frankly prefer that.

Thank you for a safe place for working this out. I hope to update with better news in the next few weeks and same for all of you. I’m really truly hoping that at the very least I do get the OGS. Best wishes to you all.

3 hours ago, brunchenthusiast said:

Listed as an alternate for U of O! Congrats to those who received an offer :)

Do the alternate lists move within the next few weeks as you only have 21 days to accept an offer?

2 hours ago, okcallie said:

Congrats on receiving alternate! :)

I'm wondering this too!! 

Anecdotally (based on past threads on the forum and some Reddit posts lol), I think it depends on the school.

Some will update alternates on a rolling basis but some might also update on Apr. 22 at the start of the new 21-day cycle!! Sorry I don’t have any specifics, I’m hoping UofC updates us soon too